Menu

Thoughts on this baby name?

Aspasia

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remember she is your baby. Does it really matter if others like the name? Unless it's Moon Unit or something waaaay out there. For the record one of my girls has the mn of Rose. I like it a lot ( but we already had a Lily and didn't want a flower theme). Alternately my mn is Ann and I LOATHE it. See, can't please everyone.

What do you guys think of Mabel? I think I could like it. It's not common at all yet (not even in the top 1,000 on the SSA website), but I worry about it making a sudden jump in popularity.

I'm on the verge of naming this baby Anne. 

Dh isn't big on Cleo. He likes Rose--actually Rosie, which I like, too. But Rose just seems really, really old lady to me. I know old lady names are in (I've already got two girls with them), but Rose doesn't belong on anyone younger than 60. Would she just go by Rosie until then?

I give up. Anne for President!

I love Anne-with-an-E! Reminds me of Anne of Green Gables which is a very good thing. ;) 

I love Rose and Mabel, too, and no, they're not making a comeback yet like some of the other "old lady" names (Ruby, Hazel, Emma) but I think they will.  They're lovely, and really, you can't go wrong with ANY of the choices you're throwing around.  I joke that I could name a dozen girls on theme of "old lady nature names" but DH would only agree to Hazel.  I love Hazel, Opal, Pearl, Fern, Ruby, Rose, Ivy, Clover, etc, etc.  :lol:

:confused1:   How on earth would it be a boy's name?  I've only ever known girl Cleos, and of course the most famous is Cleopatra - another female.  The boy you're talking about also obviously ran into everything thinking it was a girl's name... 'cause it is.

Cleo peaked as a boy's name in 1910 - 10 or 20 years before the individual in question was born (so, not a "boy" :))

I think I thought of Cleo as male even before that, because I remember thinking that Cleo on Clifford was a bit of an odd name for a girl. I grew up in a very Spanish-influenced area, and tend to think of -o names as make and -a names as female.

:confused1: How on earth would it be a boy's name? I've only ever known girl Cleos, and of course the most famous is Cleopatra - another female. The boy you're talking about also obviously ran into everything thinking it was a girl's name... 'cause it is.

First time I heard the name was the 70 year old black man mailroom worker in my building...it was long ago so he was probably born in 1900 -1910. That is why I had a hard time picturing a newborn baby girl with that name. But meh, now it is just her.