Menu

If You Pray, Reflect or Say Grace prior to Eating What do you say?

mathmarm

No hand holding or anything here.

I usually say: In the Name of Allah (but in Arabic so its Bismillah)

But I may also say: Oh Allah! Bless the food You have provided me and save me from the punishment of the hellfire. In the name of Allah. (But again, in Arabic so what I say is Allahomma barik lana fima razaqtana waqina athaban-nar. Bismillah.)

There is another prayer for when you're done eating, but I can't remember it unless I'm eating...(is that weird?)

Thank you God for peanut butter, thank you God for jelly and jam, thank you God for the food I'm eating, and thank you God for who I am. Amen 

That is our prayers when daddy isn't home and it's just me and the kids.

Ha! Thats Funny, I like it! Do you have another prayer for when the whole family is together?

I'm Catholic, and we say the standard:

Bless us, O Lord, for these Thy gifts which we are about to receive

From Thy bounty, through Christ Our Lord. Amen.

We also say grace after the meal:

We give Thee thanks for all Thy benefits, O Almighty God,

Who livest and reignest, world without end. Amen.

May the souls of the faithful departed, through the Mercy of God,

rest in peace. Amen.

rest in peace. Amen.

AMDG

That /\

and as I'm sure Ripley does as well, we cross ourselves before and after each prayer.  

Here, when we do pray (we don't always sit down together), we stand and face our icons and say the Lord's Prayer, and then either "O Lord, bless the food and drink of Thy servants for Thou alone art Holy always, now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen," or "The poor shall eat and be satisfied and they that seek the Lord shall praise Him; their hearts shall live forever. Amen."  Sometimes we'll sing a troparia (song) if there's a feast, too. 

We hold hands (mainly so certain children are better behaved during grace) and something to the effect of bless this food to our bodies so that we may continue to serve you.  We usually add something about being grateful for the help of the previous day/week and ask for continued help for next day/week. 

If it is the 13yo praying-- well it could lead anywhere and take a very long time.

We say the standard Lutheran table prayer:

Come Lord Jesus

Be our guest

And let thy gifts

To us be blest. Amen

Then you get a bunch of Lutherans together and everyone has a slightly different expression for "thy gifts." "These gifts", "these thy gifts", "this food" etc.

Growing up (Episcopalian), we said the following:

Bless O Lord this food to our use and us to thy service

And keep us ever mindful of the needs of others. Amen.

We hold hands and the prayer varies; we don't do repetitious or memorized prayers (with a view to Matthew 6:7). It's usually a prayer of thanksgiving for what we have and asking for help and or direction at meals; if we as a family are struggling with a decision or patience, or what not.

We have a good family friend who often includes the phrase "Bless this food & the hands that made it" in his meal time prayers and I've always really thought that was sweet.

We have a few that we use.

1) Our 'standard' prayer that we say before any meal is, For what we are about to receive may the Lord make up truely grateful.

2) Before our big sit down meal of the day where we gather as a family we say this, Bless us O God as we sit together, Bless the food we eat today, Bless the hands that make the food, Bless us O God, Amen.

We have some other ones that have been picked up from camps and other such activities, but these are not used as regularly.

We usually fold our arms and close our eyes and one person in the family says the prayer. It's always different and the person praying chooses what to say, whether they're 3 or 93, so there can be quite a bit of variety. That's fairly standard for Mormon families.

Sometimes we'll hold our cupped hands in front of us, then rub our hands on our faces when we say amen like we saw in Central Asia. It's sort of hard to describe, and that's just something our family does.

rest in peace. Amen.

Anglican here, but same grace. At special times, like Christmas, we try to add the collect for the day.

We don't have any set prayer we say. Its usually some variation on "Thank you for this food. Please bless it to us. Thank you for the hands that prepared it"  But depending on what just happened that day/who is praying it can get quite a bit longer.

We hold hands to avoid snacking during the prayer.

We've done a variety of things. At home, we have at times used an offering bowl, placing a small portion of the meal in and thanking Hestia as the keeper of the hearth. When asked to do a grace in a public setting, it's usually "For what we are about to receive, may be we be truly thankful."

When my daughter's Girl Scout troop went to a district Camporee a few years ago, each troop was required to provide a grace for one of the large group meals (everyone ate together in a dining hall for that event). At the time, our troop included girls who were Christian, Muslim, atheist, agnostic, and Neopagan, so I looked for something more inclusive than the usual ones suggested for Girl Scouts. We ended up with the following, which was very popular with the camp staff and other groups (they were asked to repeat it a couple of times) from http://www.scoutingweb.com/scoutingweb/subpages/InclusiveGraces.htm

We are purely secular but DH missed saying grace (from when he was young) because to him it separated the meal from the rest of the day; maybe it was the ritual he missed so we came up with a family saying (I think it comes from Madeleine in big part)

Thank you for the birds who tweet

Thank you for the food we eat

We love our bread, we love our butter

But most of all we love each other.

Then during the meal we all say the 3 best parts of our day.

Well, last night the 20 year old said grace. We were all in the family room getting ready to watch the new episode of Sherlock while we ate. Never one to elaborate he said his usual, "Dear Lord, thank you food the food."

But then quickly added "And Sherlock!... Amen."

DH or I (or one of the kids if they want to) basically comes up a simple but somewhat personalized for our family and season very short prayer before family together meals (most breakfasts and dinners some lunches depending on schedule).  Our kids take their own turn or ask us to mention specific things for them. 

Come Lord Jesus

Be our guest

And let thy gifts

To us be blest. Amen

Then you get a bunch of Lutherans together and everyone has a slightly different expression for "thy gifts." "These gifts", "these thy gifts", "this food" etc.

Fellow Lutheran and we say thy gifts. I have heard all versions of this except this food.

rest in peace. Amen.

I like the idea of saying grace at the end of the meal, too.

Come Lord Jesus

Be our guest

And let thy gifts

To us be blest. Amen

I married a Lutheran, and this is what we usually say, although my inlaws added to it "Oh give thanks, unto the Lord, for he is good, and his mercy endures forever."

Growing up I said the Catholic grace noted above.

I often feel I want to mix up our graces a little bit, for variety. I'm interested in what everyone has to say here. My German cousin used to sing a beautiful grace, but unfortunately, I never learned exactly how it went.  

The prayer differs here depending on who is saying it but usually we say something along the lines of thanking God for the food and for our day and for protecting each of us. We usually ask that He bless our evening and that the food will nourish us and then and Amen. My oldest ds is very specific and long with his prayer and usually talks a bit about the specific events of the day, and my youngest ds is very brief and to the point. We have never made a big deal of it.

My take on it has always been that I want the kids to be thankful and realize that the food didn't just appear on the table. I want them to be thankful to whom prepared it to God for making it possible for us to have it. At breakfast my kids have been known to simply say, "Thank you God!" or "Thank you Father" and then eat and I'm fine with that. In the evening I tend to use the prayer as a little bit of reflection over the day time. We also start the day with prayer usually thanking God for another day to serve him and serve each other. And asking him to help us be gentle and caring with our words and deeds and to honor him throughout our day.

If nothing else, I've found that praying like that is a way to make the kids stop and think about what they are saying and doing without feeling like I'm lecturing them about it. It's a reminder that the world isn't just about them.

We say a sweet little prayer that ds17 learned in mothers' day out 14 yrs. ago.  He came home one day insisting we say "Miss Holly's prayer."   :001_smile: 

Thank you for the food we eat.

Thank you for the friends we meet.

Thank you for the birds that sing.

Thank you, God, for everything!

After we say that together, one of us (usually dh) says a personal, non-scripted prayer of thanks/praise and petition.

We hold hands and the prayer varies; we don't do repetitious or memorized prayers (with a view to Matthew 6:7). It's usually a prayer of thanksgiving for what we have and asking for help and or direction at meals; if we as a family are struggling with a decision or patience, or what not.

We have a good family friend who often includes the phrase "Bless this food & the hands that made it" in his meal time prayers and I've always really thought that was sweet.

Our family is like this too.

My husband is not often home at dinner this semester, so we often do a silent prayer instead. In our family, I don't pray aloud unless I'm covering my head in this situation. It's different than in other families, but important to us. Our prayers are not memorized, though DH often says things in a pattern- dinners are a long prayer with thanks given for the whole day, lunch is a short prayer with thanks given for the family, and big gatherings are a thanks for life and sacrifice prayer.

AMDG

Okay, reading along I see I didn't mention little things I don't even think about . . .

We bow our heads, close our eyes, and put our hands together.  I tend toward palms together, fingers extended.  My husband and daughter fold their fingers down.

Also, sometimes someone will sneak a bite before Grace and if she is leading prayer, will say

Bless us O! Lord and these Thy gifts 

which we are about to receive from Thy bounty

(and have already received from Thy bounty)

Through Christ, Our Lord.  Amen.

And speaking of prayer b/f meals.  My daughter LOVES this song and actually has it for her ring tone.

I love "rote" prayers! I realize they're not something everyone enjoys, but I pray so much more now that I have ancient prayers to pray (it's not like they're any less real or sincere just because someone else prayed them first). I used to get stuck in looking for the "right" words and emotions from which to create prayers, and I'd often end up not praying because I didn't think my prayers came out right or because I didn't pray as good as him/her or whatever. Now I don't worry about any of that at all and just pray. This is the case with prayers before meals, with daily prayers, with praying at church. It's been wonderfully freeing. 

We're Muslim, so we say "Bismillah" (In the name of God) before we eat, and "Alhamdullilah" (Thanks be to God) after we eat.

Ideally, you're supposed to do it reverently…and think about all the things you should be grateful to God for..the fact that you actually have food, that you're together with family…thankfulness for the famers and other workers who brought you the food, etc.  

I always liked this Waldorf grace,

"Earth who gives to us this food,

Sun who makes it ripe and good
Dear Earth, Dear Sun
By you we live
Our loving thanks to you we give."

​My Aunt taught my kids… you sing it to the ABC tune...

"A-B-C-D-E-F-G- Thank you God for feeding me."