Menu

S/O What movies have you walked out on?

Cosmos

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waterworld with Kevin Costner.  Excruciatingly slow plot development.  Asinine dialogue.  Painful to watch.

Some slasher/horror movie I can't remember the name of (this was about 20 years ago).  I hate horror movies anyway, but a friend asked me to go and I didn't realize what the movie was about.  I walked out because it was too gory/scary. 

I have walked out of two movies.

1. Gremlins. I was 10 years old and thought it was going to be slightly spooky. It was WAY, WAY beyond my comfort level. I went to the bathroom and never went back in, instead waiting out in the lobby for my friend and her family who I had gone with. Ugh. I'm sure it wouldn't be as scary to me now, but I have no desire to find out.

2. Happy Feet. We went to see this when ds was six. He had a very hard time with anything remotely "scary" so he had seen very few movies at that point. In fact, It was only his second time to see a movie in the theater. We had seen Curious George a few months earlier and while he had covered his eyes a few times, he enjoyed it. Happy Feet, though, was a disaster. Something happens right at the beginning (a bird attacks or something?) and he was under the seat crying. It was quite a while after that before we tried a movie in the theater again!

Let's see. Dh and I walked out on some horrible supposedly "horror" film back around 1986 or 87 that had Jane Fonda in it. I can't remember the name, but it my have had the word "gate" in the title. At any rate, it was so awful...not particularly scary that I recall...we just couldn't continue suffering through it.

I tried to walk out during Mamma Mia because I found Pierce Brosnan's attempts at high notes so grating that I wanted to plug my ears. DH made me stay...he thought it was hilarious. I wanted to scream "DIDN'T CASTING ASK HIM TO SING BEFORE OFFERING HIM THE JOB?????"

Titanic...yep, made it about half way through and didn't quite make it half way through Water World. WW was absolutely excruciating to watch. Titanic just annoyed me, really, really annoyed me.

Best movie experience though was Lord of the Rings, Return of the King...there was a standing ovation from the audience when Legolas killed the elephant and with it numerous Orcs, but Gimley announced, "That only counts as one!" Priceless cinematic moment.

Faith

I cannot for the life of me remember the title.  It was a movie that was set in India and had a band of thieves who murdered their victims.  There was a ritualistic religious aspect to it too.  Anyway, that movie scared me like none other ever has.  I left the theater and went out to the lobby and worked on a puzzle.  (I loved that the theater, which was an indie type theater, had puzzles in the lobby.)

I didn't leave because I was on a date with dh, but. I wished I could have. Movie was Lord of the Rings. I'm still mad I wasted three hours of my life. (ducking tomatoes)

You should be ashamed! Totally kidding. :)  I love Lord of the Rings. I can watch it over and over. I loved the books too.

Cannonball Run 3 (am I dating myself?).  It was awful.

I also walked out on a Woody Allen movie.  I think it was Manhattan.  I get motion sickness easily on movies shot not using a steady cam.  I'm usually pretty good about  screening for it beforehand but missed the boat somehow that time.

Not exactly walking out, but when I was in college I tried to watch the original Children of the Corn on DVD...got a few minutes into it, and that was IT for me. I had to turn it off...those scary kids, quoting Bible verses out of context, killing all the adults ...NOPE, I couldn't handle it! :ohmy:  :scared:

I don't see a whole lot of movies in the theaters so I'm hoping that dvds count...

I covered my whole head in War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise.  The whole spraying of the ground with blood and guts and then Tom making that guy go quiet.  Shudder.

Every Mel Gibson movie.  They are all too bloody and violent just to be bloody and violent.

Reservoir Dogs. I am sure it is a great movie, but I could not watch the cruelty.

That was one of the most violent movies I have ever seen.  It's actually a great movie, if you can get past the violence.  We watched it at home so I just covered my eyes or left the room during the scenes I didn't want to watch.  

That's my main issue with all of Quentin Tarantino's movies.  I love his overall cinematic style, but the violence and cruelty is just way over the top. 

Titanic!! I think I'm the only person in the world who hated that movie.  complete garbage.

We can be a 2 woman club, because you are NOT alone. Yuck!

I probably go to the movies for my own pleasure 1-2 times a year. Movies I have left early on:

Scream

My Sisters Keeper, I went to see it and had to leave because I can't take anything gory/bloody/violent/vomity/gruesome

and Titanic, I hated that movie. I also don't like dizzying special effects.

I go with my brother (the big overgrown kid) and his kids every time they come to town because he buys us a nice big lunch before and gets my favorite ice cream for me afterward and I love my brother, haven't discovered the secret to saying 'No' to him yet. So these are movies I've taken loooong bathroom breaks on.

Karate Kid (the recent one)

Bee Movie

Robots

Ponyo (something about a fish girl or something from Japan)

I refused to go and see The Hunger Games because I don't find the premise entertaining or acceptable by any standard. Bro and I went to a book signing instead.

Hart's War. I think that's the name of it. I was very pregnant with dd10 at the time, and I really didn't want to see it in the first place. Unfortunately, we were with my bil and sil, and everyone but me wanted to see it. When it got to a part where it showed some women in a village brutally mutilated (b00ks cut off), I walked out crying and never went back in.

There is one more that my dh and I walked out of and got a refund for, but I can't remember what it was.

Mostly if I am at the movies, it is with my husband.  If the movie is bad and the theater isn't crowded, our back up plan is just making out like teenagers.  If not for that, we would have walked out of a lot of movies.  The most recent movie I have left though was Rango.  My son was just really, really not liking it.  

I didn't leave because I was on a date with dh, but. I wished I could have. Movie was Lord of the Rings. I'm still mad I wasted three hours of my life. (ducking tomatoes)

Don't feel bad, I can't stand any of the Lord of the Rings movies or Chronicles of Narnia movies. I feel really bad too because I'm a christian, but I just find them insanely dull. 

In NZ not liking LoTR is kind of blasphemy but I can't be bothered. I only go to movies I really want to see. They are insanely expensive now and unlike when I was a kid it is into the theatre, movie, out. No trailer, no intermission, no beautiful building. I would be too stingy to walk out and too afraid of interupting others.

We walked out on Leaving Las Vegas. It won awards and accolades. It was, for me, just too horribly hopeless/despairing. I was early 20's and newly married at the time. Maybe I'd feel differently about it now, having seen more the dark side of life.

That reminds me of when dh and I were newlyweds. We didn't have much money, hadn't been to the movies in a very long time (years), and decided to splurge one weekend. So we walked over to the local movie theater (we didn't have a car) and saw the current feature, not knowing a thing about it. It had Meryl Streep! Sure to be wonderful. It was Bridges of Madison County. :lol: Not exactly what a newly married couple is interested in seeing.

We walked out on Leaving Las Vegas. It won awards and accolades. It was, for me, just too horribly hopeless/despairing. I was early 20's and newly married at the time. Maybe I'd feel differently about it now, having seen more the dark side of life.

I agree -- this was a horrible movie and I wish I could "un-see" it. Didn't walk out but should have.

Moonstruck, American Werewolf in London and Raging Bull.

You walked out on Moonstruck?  WHAT?!?!?!  That's just about tops on my list of movies I can watch over and over!!!!!  I think I'll faint now.

I walked out on Wild Orchid with Mickey Rourke.  Worst piece of nonsense I've ever seen.  My artsy fartsy roommate and her boyfriend (now husband) loved it.  I actually just waited in the car or walked around the mall or something for them.  It was terrible.

I also walked out on Cry Baby (Johnny Depp) and, most recently, Silver Linings Playbook.  It was excruciatingly slow.  I did watch it again on Netflix or something, and I did get through it, but I didn't like it.  I think I'm the only one. 

I walked out on a Jodie Foster (I think) movie in which she was raped. Can't remember the name. It was sickening.

It was The Accused.  An excellent movie that won her an Oscar.  Yes, that scene was awful, but the movie was very good, if not disturbing. 

Funny story - a friend had invited me to dinner to meet her husband's cousin - she had been trying to set us up for months.   After dinner, she had a couple of movies for us to watch - one I had seen before and the other was an Academy Award winner, yep, you guessed it - The Accused.  Well, its a wonder dh and I ever had a 2nd date after that.  It was incredibly uncomfortable to watch with a stranger, let alone a potential romantic interest. I think you could have fit a football team between us on the couch.  As the door was shutting behind us while we were leaving, we heard her husband wail at his wife"Why couldn't you get a comedy?"  We both burst out laughing, which broke the awkward silence and led to our 2nd date. 

"A Clockwork Orange".  No explanation required for why I left the theatre long before the film was over.  I was tricked into going, and had no idea of what it was going to be.  I never forgave the person who pulled that stunt on me.  To say that I was enraged and furious falls far short of the truth.