Menu

S/O What movies have you walked out on?

Cosmos

Not walking out, but we rented Land of the Lost through Netflix. We were scraping the bottom of the family queue list. There was a scratch on the DVD halfway through and we just shrugged and went on with our day. It was so horribly bad.

Really?  I loved it growing up and the kids thought it was a hoot too. Oh well. ;)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You walked out on Moonstruck?  WHAT?!?!?!  That's just about tops on my list of movies I can watch over and over!!!!!  I think I'll faint now.

I walked out on Wild Orchid with Mickey Rourke.  Worst piece of nonsense I've ever seen.  My artsy fartsy roommate and her boyfriend (now husband) loved it.  I actually just waited in the car or walked around the mall or something for them.  It was terrible.

I also walked out on Cry Baby (Johnny Depp) and, most recently, Silver Linings Playbook.  It was excruciatingly slow.  I did watch it again on Netflix or something, and I did get through it, but I didn't like it.  I think I'm the only one. 

Oh, I couldn't STAND that movie.  I watched it because I had heard so much about it, but felt like it was really slow, as well.  So you can add me to the list of people who didn't like it!!  I barely sat through it at home...

IME you can get a refund if you walk out early enough.

My mom, sister, and I walked out of what Dreams May Come. Too weird! We went to see Life is Beautiful for the 3rd time instead.

I was always strangely fascinated by What Dreams May Come.  I don't own it, but I think I've seen it 3-4 times. 

The Talented Mr. Ripley.  Yuck yuck yuck.  It took me years to forgive Matt Damon.

The one and only movie DH has ever walked out on!!  :lol:

Do NOT EVER go see The Last Airbender.  Just Don't.  You're not a pessimist, you're a realist.   

Agreed.  It was bad.  So incredibly bad.  :glare:

I have actually never walked out on a movie.  Back when we used to go often, I would watch just about anything, and now we only go if it's something we are really interested in (which reminds me, November is shaping up to be a possibly expensive movie theater month.  ;)  I'm interested in the Ender's Game movie, Thor - of course, and Catching Fire...).  I will say we have taken a couple of risks over the last few years - the latest Wolverine movie, for example - but they all turned out ok.  But even epically (is that even a word??!) bad ones we usually stay for the duration of... like The Last Airbender.  :D

Just a couple of nights ago we turned off Pain and Gain.  I couldn't handle it.  We hate not finishing movies, and even now we'll watch just about anything, but it was too crude.  I couldn't do it. 

ETA: Oh, and the first time I watched the first LOTR I was really bored.  We went with DH's whole family - his parents, his brothers, their wives/girlfriends (except the youngest).  They were all so excited about it and I was like :confused: ... later on I rewatched it and liked it.  I liked both of the others in the theater. 

I could not walk out on Jurassic Park because I was at a drive-in with a bunch of friends, but when I got too freaked out I laid down in the bed of the truck and feigned sleep till it was over.

I walked out on X-Men when the old guy got all the water drained out of his body. That was the grossest thing I had ever seen.

I had to leave Hunger Games, but only because I got a text from my mom to come home because the children were being horrible.

Crimson Tide. I sat through 20 minutes, and the entire time the same strain of suspenseful, something's-about-to-happen music played (a little too loud & wearing on the ears), even during the scene of him saying goodbye to his wife.

I left that screen's theater and slipped into the next one down the hall. Don't remember what was showing there, but it was entertaining and had only just started.

I could not walk out on Jurassic Park because I was at a drive-in with a bunch of friends, but when I got too freaked out I laid down in the bed of the truck and feigned sleep till it was over.

I walked out on X-Men when the old guy got all the water drained out of his body. That was the grossest thing I had ever seen.

I had to leave Hunger Games, but only because I got a text from my mom to come home because the children were being horrible.

I loved Jurassic Park, but thought certain scenes were a tad too gory than necessary. What I did NOT like was the stupid woman who brought all of her kids, all under 10 years of age. The movie was clearly billed at the theater as not for kids, but she insisted. 3 of the kids were petrified and hiding under their jackets, and the youngest (about 4ya) was crying and begging to leave. She didn't shush him or take him or the other kids out -- just ignored him and kept eating and watching. The seat rows were tight and I was wedged in, but someone finally left to complain, and she and her kids were removed (with her noisily complaining all the way out).

I walked out of Ishtar.

I wish I could have walked out of Dances with Wolves...but dh was engrossed. It's still one of his favorite movies. Now I can leave the room :lol:

Haha!  I remember Ishtar!  That was a TERRIBLE movie!  (I wonder why I didn't walk out on it?) 

We walked out of the Casper movie!  All of our children were really young, and the movie was full of lots of dumb sexual innuendos and behaviors that we didn't want our then 7, 6, 4, 2 and 1 year-old children watching.  Not like the television cartoon.

My husband and I also walked out of a Woody Allen movie once, but I can't remember which one.  Hmmm...

Not exactly walking out, but when I was in college I tried to watch the original Children of the Corn on DVD...got a few minutes into it, and that was IT for me. I had to turn it off...those scary kids, quoting Bible verses out of context, killing all the adults ...NOPE, I couldn't handle it! :ohmy:  :scared:

My sister used to say my kids looked like children from that movie.  I never saw it, so it must be because they were all so blond an blue eyed.

I walked out of Waterworld because it was boring, and I knew Kevin Costner would end up together with that woman he was so awful to and I couldn't bear it. There were tons of movies around that time whose themes were "Man treats woman like garbage, something happens, they fall in love". Ugh.

I also walked out of Cape Fear after Robert De Niro broke the prostitute's arm. At least they didn't fall in love afterwards, but probably only because he went on to kill her.

The only movie in a theatre I've walked out on was when I was "The cook, the thief, his wife and her lover." I don't even know why I went to see it with my friend. Maybe because it was set in Europe. I kept thinking it would get better, then I realized I didn't care anymore if it did (it apparently didn't). I've walked out on many, many rented movies! Dh and I have very different tastes in movies. lol

We're really lame about going to see movies. It's too expensive to chance not liking it. Unbelievably, we made it through Titanic, but spent hours afterward griping about it. Horrible movie.

Our measuring sticks for bad movies are What Dreams May Come and Kids. I'm happy to see we're in good company hating What Dreams May Come. We had friends recommend it and we just sat there thinking, we *must* be missing something, so we kept it on watching :tongue_smilie: .  Kids was, by far, the most depressing movie we've ever seen and it affected us for DAYS after.

We just rented Silver Linings Playbook last week and loved it!

I am usually very picky about the movies I choose to see in the theater or my list might be longer:

The Scent of a Woman.

For whatever reason a 14/15 year old can have, a friend and I went to see this movie. We lasted maybe 30 minutes. I've never tried watching it again :p

I'm surprised at how many people walked out of What Dreams May Come. it's on my list of movies to watch because I've heard so many good things about it!

The second I saw the thread topic, I had to tell this story.

When we were in college my now husband decided he HAD to see The Black Dahlia. I was not interested in going & suggested he go with his friends, but for some reason that didn't work out. So we decided to go together & set a time when we were both free. We went to the regular expensive theater, not the two dollar theater to which we usually went.

About half an hour in to the movie my now husband suddenly stands up. He says, so the whole theater heard him, "Oh $@*&, I have work!" Then he runs out of the theater.

I proceed to seethe for the next hour, while watching the awful movie. I keep thinking that there is now way I am walking out of a movie that we just paid $13 dollars for me to see.

Now it is a story we laugh about and it's all good.

Oh you Titanic hating women aren't alone.  I never made it though.  What a lot of cr@p!  

I also started laughing, loudly at the big ending sequence of Blair Witch Project.  I thought it was hysterically bad.  

I was so disappointed with Blair Witch Project.  I was so psyched to see this awesome "real" movie.  Ugh.  What a let down.

That was one of the most violent movies I have ever seen.  It's actually a great movie, if you can get past the violence.  We watched it at home so I just covered my eyes or left the room during the scenes I didn't want to watch.  

That's my main issue with all of Quentin Tarantino's movies.  I love his overall cinematic style, but the violence and cruelty is just way over the top. 

I've seen that most of Reservoir Dogs a few times and I'm a big QT fan, but when Stealer's Wheel "Stuck in the Middle w/ You" starts, it's time for me to take a potty break....a long potty break.  I

The only movie in a theatre I've walked out on was when I was "The cook, the thief, his wife and her lover." I don't even know why I went to see it with my friend. Maybe because it was set in Europe. I kept thinking it would get better, then I realized I didn't care anymore if it did (it apparently didn't). I've walked out on many, many rented movies! Dh and I have very different tastes in movies. lol

I saw that movie. I should have walked out I it. But I was young and foolish and thought I was being sophisticated watching a European movie. That was a dreadful movie.

I saw that movie. I should have walked out I it. But I was young and foolish and thought I was being sophisticated watching a European movie. That was a dreadful movie.

:lol: I didn't see The Cook, The Thief, etc. but I did see plenty of other "artsy" films in my college days. The number of David Lynch films I suffered through :tongue_smilie: . I loved Twin Peaks, but his movies? Blech.  I should have walked out of Wild at Heart.

I am with the woman who walked out of District 9.  In my defense, I never would have chosen to go watch it on my own.  I had a nursing baby in my arms and all the terrifying sounds kept making both of us jump.  I went and sat in the car- my husband and his cousin/wife followed within a half hour.

Pulp Fiction - I still can't erase those scenes from my mind, and the editing choices were just plain weird. Awful, awful movie.

That was the moment I learned to research movies rather than trusting that anything popular would be good.

Back in my pre-kid days, I was out if town for work and had some time to kill, so I decided to see a movie. I knew it couldn't be anything too suspenseful since I was alone, so I chose one of the American Pie sequels (wedding, I think?). I just figured it would be stupid-funny, which I could handle just fine by myself. Oh my goodness...it was awful. Finally I just left. Worst movie ever.

Oh you Titanic hating women aren't alone.  I never made it though.  What a lot of cr@p!  

I also started laughing, loudly at the big ending sequence of Blair Witch Project.  I thought it was hysterically bad.  

I also laughed during Blair Witch Project. I could not help it.

I never liked Titanic, a lot of girls I know saw it several times but once was enough for me. 

I have never walked out on a movie but some have made me laugh when they were not intending that reaction. For instance, Day After Tomorrow is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. 

I did kinda find Paranormal Experience to be a little scary but that was RUINED when all the people in the theater started screaming. At that point I did  start laughing. It wasn't during startle moments, the bedsheet would move and people would start shrieking. 

I don't see many movies in the theater.  *bag on head smilie*

There are a good many movies I *wish* I would have walked out of. Every single one has been a movie that dear dear husband of mine picked.

(Inglorious Bastards comes to mind.)

As for Titanic.......

First DH and I went to see it as a double date with a couple who loved it. We sat through it all.

The very next week DH's parents come in town and want to go to a movie with us. What do they have their hearts set on.........

Titanic!

We sat through that crappy movie not once, but twice.

During the second time I received numerous dirty looks for giggling because DH would lean over and whisper helpful things like, "I think that boat might sink.", and, "I'll never let go."

They don't like them for religious reasons, they like them for the "biblical symbolism' and "gospel parallels" that runs through them. Regardless, I found the stories boring. I prefer going straight to the bible. I like my fantasy to be fantasy and my Bible to be truth. 

One could use LotR as a symbol of Nordic beliefs as one could Christianity.

Just sayin' :D

I make it a policy to just not walk into any movie with Kevin Costner or Tom Cruise.  

What Dreams May Come was, IIRC, the first movie I saw with my now husband.  It was before we started dating, just as friends.  I don't remember what I thought about it.  We saw Election with Reece Witherspoon and Matthew Brodrick not too long after that.  I was ready to actually beat up the two skanky old men sitting right behind us who were talking and talking about how real to the life (?!) the movie was and how high school girls did want to date their teachers when my now husband (then 20 years old) stood up, turned around, glared a look of sheer derision at them and they got up and left.  My hero.  

ok I will admit it, I actually liked Waterworld.  I did not see it in the theatre but I have watched it several times on tv.  I especially like the ending.

I tried to watch Titanic dvd with dd but only made it about half way thru. 

I went and saw Waterworld in the theater, and liked it then as well.  Still do.  I have a thing for Kevin Costner epics that other people hate, though.  I adore Dances With Wolves as well, but my absolute most favorite one that he ever did was The Postman. 

I have never walked out on a movie.  And the only movie that I've ever watched and not watched to the end was Slumdog Millionaire.  I think I got about halfway through and I just couldn't watch anymore- it was so awful.

I would've have stopped watching that one but I kept thinking it would all make sense at some point. Nope!

SAME HERE!!

We didn't see it in the theater - actually, just watched it last night - and at the end I was like :001_huh: .... That was completely random and made no sense.  DH just looked at the time and was like, I think I just wasted 3 hours of my life...

Yeah... totally not what I was expecting, and totally didn't really ever come together or make sense.  :confused:

I didn't see it in the theater, but about 3 minutes of the bouncing camera in the Blair Witch Project had me motion sick! I could not stay in the room while it was on.

While in the theatre my dh did actually have to get up and throw up in the the trash can during Blair Witch. That did not contribute to me laughing during the movie

While in the theatre my dh did actually have to get up and throw up in the the trash can during Blair Witch. That did not contribute to me laughing during the movie

I couldn't even make it through the trailer on that one. Didn't see... was it District 9 that started out handheld?... for the same reason. But I can't even watch the roller coaster Regal clip right before the movie.

When I was about 10 we lived on a USAF Base in CA and the theater was cheap but it only had one screen. They were playing "The Fly" with Jeff Goldblum. When they go to the sceen where he pulls out his fingernails I was done. I went and found my step-brother( no way he was gonna sit with me :) and told him I would wait for him outside and he said not to bother he was leaving too!

We walked out on Leaving Las Vegas. It won awards and accolades. It was, for me, just too horribly hopeless/despairing. I was early 20's and newly married at the time. Maybe I'd feel differently about it now, having seen more the dark side of life.

I saw that and wished I hadn't too. I was in college and had gone with friends and probably would have left if I'd been alone.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I went because Johhnny Depp, and left because I didn't get it. Possibly because I've never been high.

F&L was the first movie I saw in a long time in college - someone finally offered me a ride to the theatre. I was so excited to get out of the dorm and then I didn't get it either. It was really disappointing.

My mom, sister, and I walked out of what Dreams May Come. Too weird! We went to see Life is Beautiful for the 3rd time instead.

I tried to watch Life is Beautiful on a DVD and I turned it off halfway through. I just couldn't get through it.

Whoever mentioned Election -- I convinced some college friends to go because I really wanted to see Reese Witherspoon. Then 2 of them walked out right at the beginning. I felt so terrible! 

I don't think I've walked out of any movies at the theatre but we gave my grandparents such a hard time because they walked out of Forrest Gump. My grandma hated the swearing. I think they walked out of another Best Picture winner too - we started joking that they could pick the winners by which ones they hated the most.

I walked out on one. It was 18 years ago and I will never forget it. It was the movie Seven with Brad Pitt in it. It was about the 7 deadly sins and I literally almost threw up in the theater because it was so gross. So so gross. 

I also walked out on this one.  I had a nursing newborn at the time and was so scared by this movie that I would have to wake dh up in the night to go with me to change her diaper.  For weeks I couldn't go to the bathroom at night by myself.  

I went and saw Waterworld in the theater, and liked it then as well.  Still do.  I have a thing for Kevin Costner epics that other people hate, though.  I adore Dances With Wolves as well, but my absolute most favorite one that he ever did was The Postman. 

I have never walked out on a movie.  And the only movie that I've ever watched and not watched to the end was Slumdog Millionaire.  I think I got about halfway through and I just couldn't watch anymore- it was so awful.

I loved The Postman with Kevin Costner.