Menu

How to spot an American

caitlinsmom

We are supposed to take our middle son to Europe next summer. This thread makes me NOT want to go. Obviously, I'm reviled for my American hips, white jogging shoes, and "american haircut" (whatever that is).

Okay.... you don't like some of the things that have been said. I'm sorry that you are upset. But the OP asked for how to blend in and not be recognised as an American. And we all noted differences between US and European looks and behaviour.

Did I revile Americans by saying that they had different dress sense and body language? No, I just noted the difference. How you choose to deal with that difference (proudly continue wearing what you wear/behaving as you behave or change to blend in) is entirely up to you.

ETA: I'm also sorry that you have had a bad experience with exchange students. I wonder whether it's the ones with enough money to make the trip who also tend to have the worst attitudes.

L

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a two-parter:

1) We are all good at spotting "other" -ness. When someone comes into my community from another country, or even another region, I'm usually aware he or she isn't from here. I can't always say where he or she is from.

2) Familiarity. Locals in tourist areas have a lot of familiarity with the different groups of tourists tend to visit. I can correctly identify many people as German or Austrian just by their appearance because I lived in Germany and Austria for an extended time, so I am familiar with whatever those subtle differences are. Sometimes, it's obvious, like the leather jackets in July, but other times it's not something I can pick out.

We Americans often aren't familiar with those differences because we don't see enough of any one other nationality to have absorbed them.

Edit to add a response to posts that came in while I was composing:

If you visit areas that aren't as touristy, the locals won't be as good at spotting you as American. They will know you aren't local. Just like here.

When you visit another country, try to behave like a courteous guest, and not like a tourist. Be open to learning about local customs. Look for sameness. (Tourists look for differences. "This toilet doesn't flush like mine at home, etc.")

Just curious how Europeans (and others) can spot an American? Just in case I ever find myself abroad.

I've always assumed it's because we are generally loud and mannerless but I am guessing there are other signs as well. :)

I think this is quite a valid question. When my 17 yo left last month for Austria we went to some trouble to shop for things that would be appropriate and help her blend in, help her tour sites. She is spending quite a bit of time coming and going on public transport by herself to get to school so Not being a tourist target is important. She left her sneakers at home and bought some cute summer skirts instead of shorts. I made her buy a bikini- that was a funny argument at the store in our conservative area. Luckily we had a 14 yo Austrian friend staying with us and she went through the suitcase after my daughter packed and vetoed things.

When I was in high school in Vienna it was at an international school so my friends were literally from all over the world. One game we would play when bored was Guess The Nationality. I was excellent at it, beyond the clothing/shoe differences all you had to do was to watch a person's body language and how they held their jaws and lips and arms while they spoke with friends. It made me hyper aware of how I held myself when traveling so that I could blend in.

My husband was always mistaken for a Finn while traveling for work in Russia. Neither of us have been to Finland but he was told by a Russian colleague that being told that was a compliment.

Btw, learning differences in order to blend in for one's own safety and in order to make your hosts more comfortable is hardly bigoted. It doesn't matter what country you are from or which way you are trying to blend in and it's hardly anti-american to want to know the stereotypical markers for an American tourist. It worlds both ways- When my Austrian friends come to the states they made an effort to buy men's and boy's bathing suits here instead of wearing the very small speedo's that they wear at home because they didn't want to make anyone uncomfortable. When a teen friend from Switzerland came for a month I had a chat with her about a couple of expressions she was using incorrectly in English that in combination with her body language made adults feel like she was interrupting them and blowing them off.

What's the point of traveling if you don't want to learn differences. Some of the differences you might find to be a positive for your home country some will be a positive for the country you are visiting. IMHO none of us live in THE perfect culture.

okay so to lighten up this thread a bit. I have never been to Europe but 1 1/2 years ago we were at Disneyworld in Orlando the week after New Year

which is apparently when Europeans get their month vacation. We were staying club level at Grand Floridian and in our entire building there was only one other American family so we were surrounded by non Americans. It was strange and lonely not hearing hardly any English anywhere, even in the parks. My dd became friends with a French Canadian boy who was there with his family. She went to the parks with him and his family. His parents did not speak English so the son had to translate for dd. On the day we left, his parents came up to us and said in English "NIce girl"

I was in line at Downtown Disney for the hot air balloon. I was the only one in my family that would go on it. I was in line for a long time and no one else in line spoke English, I was quite lonelyas I usually just talk to people in line.

About 15 years ago, dh spent a month in the Phillipines. He noticed that no one wore shorts so he decided not to wear shorts also. The only place that had ac was the mall so he spent a lot of time there. He said at the local McDonald's there was no super size, all the portions, including sodas were very small, that was the norm. He also said everyone was thin or normal weight, he did not see any overweight people.

When I was in Europe, a teenager I met informed me I was obviously an American because I walked quickly and swung my arms. When I wasn't moving people thought I was German.

How funny! You could always walk slowly and gesticulate wildly. This demeanor is usually mistaken for an Italian. :lol:

Please identify any bigotry identified in this thread. Thanks.

Yes, I'd love to see that. What I've seen are generally just comments on cutural differences and few judgements. Even when one poster said the Aussies might take American loudness as, I think, insecurity, she said it more in a context that gave us insight into how Aussies might view loudness and wasn't actually calling Americans rude.

It would have been nice to have those crying foul actually join the discussion rather then decide what it was about when it had barely started.

I have witnessed the classic loud American tourist. I used to equate (seeing it through a laid back Eastern Canadian lens) as rudeness but I think I was wrong. It's just a difference. And that same quality that I used to think was rudeness, the loudness and further, the pushiness, is something I've come to admire in friends who have moved here from the US. Native Nova Scotians can be too laid back and let important things go. Meanwhile my Nova Scotian friends from the US (and Ontario!) push back, make waves , and get things done that the rest of us would let slide.

To me, it is more following the cultural norms of the country you are visiting. In France, it wasn't about appearance, though the French do dress up much more than I have seen in the states. It was sublte differences - formally greeting someone before talking to them, saying hello in French upon entering a business, attempting to speak a bit of their language, how to order at a restaurant, etc. Ie: Knowing that servers leave you alone in a restaurant and you need to call them over to the table instead of servers refilling your glass or asking how your meal is, like in America. We found the dining experience to be totally different than in the states. Knowing that beforehand and going along with their cultural norms helped us get around better.

Interestingly enough - though we speak with southern accents - we were always mistaken for Canadians in France.

Just curious how Europeans (and others) can spot an American? Just in case I ever find myself abroad.

I've always assumed it's because we are generally loud and mannerless but I am guessing there are other signs as well. :)

I once worked for a wholesale travel agent whose experience led him to use those characteristics (the bolded print) to recognize Texans, specifically members of the UT-Exes Association.

I just have to ask a question about shoes!

We travel abroad every few years and try hard to blend in. I don't dress super-casual "American" anyway....no shorts, t-shirts, or baseball caps here. But I cannot walk for miles and miles in uncomfortable shoes. We travel on the super-cheap so we are taking public transit and our feet most places we go. Due to this, we carry everything we have with us, so often carrying 30ish pound backpacks. I would never wear sneakers but I do tend to gravitate towards Danskos in colder weather or Chacos in warmer weather. I am told the Chacos are a dead giveaway and Danskos are not much better. And I do have to admit that I never saw others wearing sport-like sandals when we were in Italy during warmer months. But, really, I cannot wear fashion boots or high heels and walk 5+ miles at a time with a load. Am I missing some great secret shoe that would meet my comfort needs and not scream AMERICAN?

How funny! You could always walk slowly and gesticulate wildly. This demeanor is usually mistaken for an Italian. :lol:

Ha! I once had a toddler give me a dirty look when I was talking with my hands. It turned out she understood sign language and didn't know what to make of me.

I've never been to Europe, but I live in a huge summer tourist area in the US. DH and I can spot tourists a mile away, and I will tell you honestly I think it simply has to do with being on vacation. People generally adopt a relaxed, more boisterous and happy attitude when they are on vacation. I have seen tourists from all over the world, and despite whatever stereotype someone wants to assign to certain groups, I still believe that most people are happier, more relaxed and louder on vacation and that's what gives them away. Wearing new clothes and taking pictures also clues me in :lol: .

We travel abroad every few years and try hard to blend in. I don't dress super-casual "American" anyway....no shorts, t-shirts, or baseball caps here. But I cannot walk for miles and miles in uncomfortable shoes. We travel on the super-cheap so we are taking public transit and our feet most places we go. Due to this, we carry everything we have with us, so often carrying 30ish pound backpacks. I would never wear sneakers but I do tend to gravitate towards Danskos in colder weather or Chacos in warmer weather. I am told the Chacos are a dead giveaway and Danskos are not much better. And I do have to admit that I never saw others wearing sport-like sandals when we were in Italy during warmer months. But, really, I cannot wear fashion boots or high heels and walk 5+ miles at a time with a load. Am I missing some great secret shoe that would meet my comfort needs and not scream AMERICAN?

When I lived in Austria and Germany, I bought comfortable local shoes. I had a pair a lot like these: http://www.bavarian-...chuhe-damen-c-6 I also had a great pair of basic, black, flat boots that had a similar sole. (Something like this, but without the tassel: http://www.vamos-schuhe.de/index.php?&product=362724&group=231479&id=a174&artnumber=696070&refID=Vamos_DE/shopwahl/Stiefel/Stiefeletten/69607/00X&emsrc=Produktportale)

When I've gone back as a tourist, I've worn Naots or Birks. Makes me look like a shop girl, but my feet were comfy.

This is interesting. My son is thin, very quiet, and fluent in German. He traveled all over Europe and said people were constantly asking him for directions and assuming he was German. He does have German heritage (half) so looks European, but people were most surprised by an American who spoke German so well.

I'm curious too - I have problems with my hips and can't wear heels at all anymore. I don't have any plans to travel out of the US any time soon, but I'm always interested in hearing about stylish but still comfy and supportive shoes.

Actually, I think another issue is at play here. It is not necessarily the "ugly American" stereotype that is under fire but the simple fact that tourists can be less than pleasant to the locals.

I live in a tourist area. Those of us who live here year round welcome tourists (mostly fellow Americans) on the one hand because of the value they add to our tax base. On the other hand, we want to to run and hide from the crowds.

Unfortunately we find that some tourists seem to leave their manners at home when on holiday. I appreciate the fact that Mom and Dad want a vacation. But that should not imply that they have permission for their kids to be rude! We have wooden pedestrian bridges through our salt marsh. There is clear signage to walk bicycles. Yesterday I had to tell a couple of boys to do this because of all of the pedestrian traffic on the walkway. (If no one is there, I could care less if they ride their bikes--I am inclined to do so too.) Another example occurred the other weekend at a restaurant where adults (I assume tourists but maybe I am wrong) let their children run wild. The owner of the restaurant had to intervene and ask that the children stop disrupting the other diners.

On the one hand, I love seeing extended families together having fun and relaxing. But please honor our rules. I heard fireworks (illegal here) around 11 PM last night. People like my husband rise early to go to work. Not everyone is on holiday! Not everyone wants to hear a loud party!

Unfortunately I think Americans can be loud--at home and abroad. I sometimes wonder if part of the problem is group travel. Bus loads of American teens in Europe are loud. Would a couple of individuals blend in more?

I've never been to Europe, but I live in a huge summer tourist area in the US. DH and I can spot tourists a mile away, and I will tell you honestly I think it simply has to do with being on vacation. People generally adopt a relaxed, more boisterous and happy attitude when they are on vacation. I have seen tourists from all over the world, and despite whatever stereotype someone wants to assign to certain groups, I still believe that most people are happier, more relaxed and louder on vacation and that's what gives them away. Wearing new clothes and taking pictures also clues me in :lol: .

:iagree: Our business is in tourism and really, for the most part, we deal with HAPPY people. They're on vacation! I love that.

I've found this thread fascinating! I can totally see Americans coming off as loud and boisterous in Europe. In dog terms, Americans are like labrador retrievers in my mind :lol: .

The overweight thing is interesting. When I have traveled and then come back to the US I do notice the weight, but it is more of an age thing. There are plenty, lots and lots, of plump middle age people everywhere. But in the US, to me, it is the heavy young people that stand out. Travel abroad and then go to a US mall and the sight of so many very overweight teens and young adults really stands out.

It completely depends on where you are. I was spotted as an American right away in Costa Rica because of my blonde hair. (Although it's not like the US is the only place with blondes :tongue_smilie: In fact, I wore a hat most of the time because of the stares.

The thing is, people from other countries are always going to stand out when they're away from home. Cultural hints are really subtle.

We are supposed to take our middle son to Europe next summer. This thread makes me NOT want to go. Obviously, I'm reviled for my American hips, white jogging shoes, and "american haircut" (whatever that is).

You have to take things with a grain of salt. I don't think the things that are being discussed here are so much bigotry or being reviled as they are comments on cultural traits. I've rarely left the U.S., but I could give my not-so-favorable impressions of European and South American tourists I've encountered at WDW and similar places. People that to my way of thinking were incredibly rude, but they were just following their own cultural norms. If other people don't realize that different cultures have different norms . . . .well, that's their problem, isn't it?

When I was young (college age) and thin and lived in Austria and Germany, I adopted local dress and blended. When my husband and I have traveled back, we haven't particularly tried to blend. (It's a little harder to hide our Americanism now that we are, uh, plumper, and anyway, DH is part Native American.) We do follow local customs and we try to behave and have the attitudes of guests, not tourists.

We've tried to describe it like this: tourists tend to look for differences and celebrate sameness, where guests try to look for sameness and celebrate difference. DH's grandma came home from a whirlwind tour of Europe on a tour bus, full of stories of rude people and toilets that weren't "American." We come home talking about how our son has a whole bunch of new "Oma's" and loves his new backpack that's both more comfortable and better built than anything American.

Does that make sense? Grandma was overwhelmed by differences and stubbornly believed American is always better. We found friends who were basically the same as us, raising kids, solving similar problems, and found that their solutions to life are sometimes better. Our being American wasn't an obstacle.

Fashion, weight and loudness were big ones I noticed when I lived in the Netherlands.

Fashion - Americans tend to dress a lot less informal than people from other areas. Sweats, oversized shirts and sneakers are the first things that come to mind.

Weight - They tend to be heavier. Not always, of course, but that was generally a easy way to pick them out (though other countries are catching up now).

Loudness - It was like they were always yelling. ;) You have to strain to hear Dutchies at the table next to you, not necessarily Americans. Now that I live in America, I find myself speaking way louder than I used to, and it's a struggle to keep my voice down.

Of course, this is just my general experience, it's not true of everyone.

People asked why someone would take offense at this thread. I took offense at the OP immediately assuming that Americans would be thought of as "loud and mannerless". Out of those two assumed characteristics it is the "mannerless" that really gets me. As others have pointed out, manners are culture specific. Japanese can be quite "rude" in certain contexts because they are not following the rules for that culture, despite the stereotype of the polite Japanese. So can people from any other country. Most people have focused on clothing, hand motions, volume etc. And yet of course we can look around and see so much variation in any one of those things even in the United States. For instance, I see a huge difference in clothing from what I see here in the PNW and what I see when visiting the east coast. I take offense because some of the generalities are so general that they are meaningless. I much prefer the posts that have focused on what you can do in another country to foster goodwill - some of that might involve blending in but not necessarily. It does involve lots of listening, looking and trying to model your behavior after others - not so much so that no one can play "spot the tourist" but so that you will have adopted the manners of the culture you are visiting and can be perceived as thoughtful and not thoughtless. I've spent a lot of time overseas and people of any nationality who did the above were accepted quite warmly, whether their clothing and hand motions or volume matched or not. Well, maybe not the volume part. I would agree that is part of being mannerly - to adopt the volume of the people around you.

I was noticing this this morning as I watched an American tourist board a bus: he was almost a head taller than the Scots around him.

when dd was in chile, she was with mostly native latinos/latinas from all over latin america. she was taller than all of them (one by easily more than a foot) - and most of the american men. as a blue-eyed blonde who was nearly 6' - she stuck out like a sore thumb. she's going to peru in sep to stay with an indian friend who is studying down there. her friend is also very very tiny. but at least dd can speak fluent chilean spanish.

This is interesting. My son is thin, very quiet, and fluent in German. He traveled all over Europe and said people were constantly asking him for directions and assuming he was German. He does have German heritage (half) so looks European, but people were most surprised by an American who spoke German so well.

I've had three different german teachers. (one was awful.) the last was a doctoral student in German. (she was fabulous!) She had been traveling in europe and called ahead to the hostel in switzerland to make arrangements. she checked in and they took one look at her passport and exclaimed "you're an american! we thought you were a german. we'll get you a better room." :blink: (very eye opening that germans and swiss didn't like each other. kinda put things in perspective in that our printed in germany text book did NOT have switzerland on it's european map. it was blank.)

stereotypes can backfire. we've a friend who lived in japan for a number of years, and even after returning to the US, traveled there often on business. he went into a newstand to get a magazine and the clerk was all excited to use her sparse english to say "I don't speak english". he repeated his request - again. she was very proud of being able to say "I can't speak english". . . . . He finally just looked at her and said "I'm speaking japanese." (his japanese business associates had no problem understanding him. the girl expected to hear english.)

It does involve lots of listening, looking and trying to model your behavior after others - not so much so that no one can play "spot the tourist" but so that you will have adopted the manners of the culture you are visiting and can be perceived as thoughtful and not thoughtless.

Regardless of location, I think it boils down to being a good "ambassador" of your family, organization, country. I am no goody two shoes but when I was in my Girl Guides uniform, I behave accordingly just so that people have nothing to complain about. Same when I am traveling abroad, I don't want people to say I am a "ugly (nationality)".

Comically people mistake me for a Eurasian or Japanese even though I am Chinese, but it is rare that they get my nationality correct or even know where my home country is.

I'm not a fan of stereotypes but there is no denying there are certain "trends" among cultures. Americans really are fatter than many other cultures. And taller. I used to think we were loud until I started living around a lot of Aussies. Holy moly are they loud! But they are also super fun to be around! The Brits I am around tend to be ... well... a bit cranky, but I have the best intellectual conversations with them. The Chinese here are quite stuffy and emotionless but they are also excellent business people. The Indians here are super warm and friendly but don't have a particularly strong work ethic. There are 28 different countries represented at my school and of all of them, Americans tend to be the nicest and most willing to help you out.

There is good and bad in every culture. I think to act like there isn't is dishonest. If you are going to visit another country the most important thing to remember is that you are a VISITOR.

Adding this just for a laugh...

So if we have these traits are we doomed to be unwelcomed? My dh is very tall, slightly chubby, and loud. He has a voice that carries even at his softest tone. We certainly would not mean to stand out or draw attention to ourselves, it just happens, even at home. I've tried to get him to understand social queues but he can't do it. I'm general very quiet so I'm very aware of the quality of his loudness in certain situations that it isn't appropriate. I smile a lot. I like to smile. I think it is disturbing that we would come across as ugly. We are not ugly people in our hearts.

I once worked for a wholesale travel agent whose experience led him to use those characteristics (the bolded print) to recognize Texans, specifically members of the UT-Exes Association.

Well, I'm a Texan who graduated from UT- Austin. I am neither loud or without manners.

So if we have these traits are we doomed to be unwelcomed?

No one said you were unwelcome. But yes, you will stand out unless you make an effort to blend in (and probably even if you try to blend in). It's ok not to blend, too, but to always keep in mind that you are a visitor and, as I tell my kids, be the best representation of your home country that you can be.

I lived in Japan. I noticed women never wore shorts. Slacks or dresses only. Embarrassingly high hemlines, low necklines and bare shoulders were all acceptable, but even an in inch of bare midriff (the American style at the time) would elicit shocked stares.

I bought new clothes, new, very stylish shoes, and dyed and cut my hair when I arrived. I got a lot of double takes. I'm short and though I was bigger than most Japanese women, I didn't stand out much.

when my parents came to visit, even though I warned them to dress up a bit, their California clothes were much too casual. My mom wore the same outfit over and over, borrowed some of my dresses and bought a few for herself. My dad was ok looking more "American " in shorts and t shirts.

Stereotyping is stupid. It doesn't tell you anything about individual people. Not only is it often wrong about where someone actually comes from, it gets in the way of actually getting to know the person for who they are as an individual.

I agree with all of this. But I don't think it's relevant to this thread. Cultures do produce people who share similarities. Everyone on this thread is simply staying what stands out about certain cultures, without judgment. Nobody is using these observations as ways to make decisions about individuals, other than to guess their nationality. The only "judgment" anyone is making, and could therefore be wrong about, is nationality. And I don't think any of these observations would prevent someone from getting to know someone else.

I think this is a fun, harmless thread. :)

Living in India I find I always am interested to look at the foreigners! I can tell an American right away from an European. Often the glasses are a dead give away. Next would be weight as mentioned. Next, how casually a person is dressed. Americans dress down, way down, compared to other nationalities. Hard to find other adult men walking around in shorts, caps, sneakers, etc. American women also generally wear less make-up and less jewelry. On the positive side, I find that Americans are very open and friendly - to everyone regardless of status in socieity. I love that Americans who visit me are so wonderful and friendly to the people who work in my house. I am always proud to be an American when I see that!

Right, we're just talking about ways you stand out. Not saying anything about being unwelcome. On the contrary, many people are delighted to see American tourists - especially vendors, street artists, anyone who might make a couple bucks from a friendly American. That is not a bad thing.

stereotypes can backfire. we've a friend who lived in japan for a number of years, and even after returning to the US, traveled there often on business. he went into a newstand to get a magazine and the clerk was all excited to use her sparse english to say "I don't speak english". he repeated his request - again. she was very proud of being able to say "I can't speak english". . . . . He finally just looked at her and said "I'm speaking japanese." (his japanese business associates had no problem understanding him. the girl expected to hear english.)

I've had this happen many times in China. People look at me and expect me to be speaking a foreign tongue, so they can't 'hear' my fluent Chinese.

L

Many years ago, we knew a friend was in town. I'd spoken with him on the phone. My wife had no idea what he looked like. We were in the mall and my wife spotted an American man. She tells me, not believing this is true, "there's Frank!". I look around, and yell, "Hey, Frank!". Astonished wife then meets Frank...

IMHO, Americans should keep a very "low profile" when traveling. That reduces the risk of one being the victim of crime. I wear jeans and a t shirt and tennis shoes and nobody ever bothers me... I have lived here for 18 years and many many times, people have assumed that I am German. For them to guess that I am an American, would be their 3rd or 4th guess.

I would never wear shorts in the city, but I do see some Colombian men wearing them in the mall.

Going to a 3rd world country, and expecting things to be like they are in the USA/Canada/Europe is not a good plan. There is a reason this is called the 3rd world.

LOL, I resemble that remark. I am a stereotypical gringa. I'm 5'10" and overweight (after 3 kids) with light brown hair and skin that turns red in the heat. I couldn't buy Venezuelan clothes or shoes, only the American imports, because they don't make my size. I used to tell people I was meeting for the first time to look for the gringa and enjoy the look on their faces when they realized just how perfectly stereotypical I was. However, I was never treated poorly or mugged (let alone kidnapped) in my 10 years in Caracas. I took the same basic precautions all Venezuelans take: no real jewelry except my wedding ring, cheap watch, no flashy leather jacket or sports shoes, holding my purse against my body, being aware of my surroundings, etc. Speaking the language of the country you're in and observing the basic rules of social behavior go a long way to blending in even if you're obviously not from around there. Finally, although you should try to be polite, blending in isn't everything. Sometimes you just can't blend and that's okay. If you take the proper safety precautions and behave politely, you'll be fine and have a great time.

I think it is a good idea to try to blend in and avoid looking like a tourist/target whether you are traveling outside of your country or even to another area within it. I find it a little amusing, however, that Americans are considered rude and overly polite at the same time! Which is it? :laugh: We can't win. Perhaps you only notice the obvious Americans and are not aware of the many more that are in your country that don't fit the stereotypes.

FWIW, I notice many rude tourists when we are out and about. I've also met some very nice international tourists. I won't comment on their nationality, but I am sure that the only ones I remember are the rude ones or the ones that I had a pleasant conversation with. It never fails, however, that the larger the group, the ruder the tourists. The same goes for local school groups- large groups= worse group behavior. Most of the friendly and genuinely nice to be with tourists have been families or small groups of friends. Maybe there were individuals in the groups who were nice, but they rarely break out of the group to interact with the local Americans.

Also- different doesn't mean bad. Just because people say Americans dress casually doesn't mean they dislike seeing casual Americans.

I'm an American living abroad in a high tourist area.

I can spot Americans by their carriage. And their size -not just weight, but height. We're just bigger overall. Germans and Swedes are next (though Swedish women are the tallest of all!). Not me :lol: I'm very short

Shoes - definitely. I changed my shoes and despite my overweight-ness I blended in much more. Hairstyle, glasses, jeans, tshirts - all giveaways.

But for me, it's the way different nationalities carry themselves. I can't explain it, but I know I when I see it.

When I was MUCH younger I went to France. I wore skirts or dresses the whole time, spoke as much French as I could, no sneakers (and I was skinny back then). I actually had to produce my passport a couple of times to convince people I was American. They all thought I was Scottish!

Yup all this

My American friend in England said they could spot Americans because of the perfect teeth.

It is the "braces have corrected these teeth to their perfection" look that is a dead give away

Ecco

And yes it is the shoes, but often the shoes in combination with socks and shorts on men that gives Americans away. Also the fannypack :tongue_smilie: And the tucked in shirts :tongue_smilie:

I used to work in tourism and we could pick out most nationalities. We all have "good" and "bad" "tells". If you live near Disney in Florida or Thailand I am SURE you can pick out Swedes a mile away. I have friends who have lived in Spain and they can pick a Brit out. It is just the way it is.

dh's neice lives in germany, and married a ukrainian (their common language is german) - who didn't like american's and never ever wanted to go to america. He finally visited, and it wasn't like the stereotypes he'd heard most of his life.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from traveling. Please do travel, and experience the amazing wonders of this world. No, you won't be reviled for being bigger (taller, heavier) than others, or for wearing shorts and sneakers. All I am saying, and I think most of the others here are saying, is that it's much more likely the locals will know you're an American. That's not a problem, just a fact.

I'm an American. A tall, obese, fair skinned American. I live in Turkey and am married to a Turk. I don't speak Turkish fluently, but I do try. I almost always am identified by the locals as a foreigner as I don't look very Turkish, and almost always as American. This isn't an issue. In fact, it's often to my advantage because the taxi drivers, shopkeepers, neighbors will go the extra mile to help me if I founder. They get it that I don't always understand. But what makes all the difference is that I go the extra mile too. I make an effort to understand them, to understand body language, local customs, traditions. Even as a tourist in other countries (France, Germany) I make this effort.

All this thread was intended to do, I believe, was discuss in what ways one can attempt this "blending in". Was the original post phrased less than elegantly? Perhaps. But I believe the OP's intentions were honorable.

:iagree: Our business is in tourism and really, for the most part, we deal with HAPPY people. They're on vacation! I love that.

I've found this thread fascinating! I can totally see Americans coming off as loud and boisterous in Europe. In dog terms, Americans are like labrador retrievers in my mind :lol: .

:D At least that means we're lovable!! :D

On a side note, I don't suppose there is any great way to blend in in Thailand, is there... :lol: Even if I managed to blend in somehow, chances are the other people in our group won't, so it would be moot anyway...

Regarding what someone said earlier about size difference, I've noticed that myself -- not in person, but there are Korean actresses that I like who are my height but weigh like 100 lbs tops. I think there is just a build difference there - I can't imagine what I'd look like at less than 130 - probably like some sort of weird bony bird or something. :p I've also noticed that amongst the male actors and singers who purposely try to 'buff up' so to speak, they are WAY smaller than guys of that height would be here. Like the one guy is 6' and weighs like 160-165 and is muscular - I just don't think that's the way it is amongst Americans. Just an interesting thing I've noticed...

I think many of the posts make it clear that people playing "spot the tourist" are only spotting some of the tourists. I do not look typically American. People spoke to me in the local language everywhere we went. When my mom visited, she was shocked at the number of people who would ask me directions because I managed to look like I belonged most places. If anything, they would think we were German.

Let me give an ugly American example to contrast-we went to Egypt with a European tour company when we lived in Germany. Most of the people in our hotel were German or Italian. The people on our tours were German or Italian. We were the only Americans. But, when we encountered other Americans? They were loudly complaining about/making fun of the non-deodorant wearing Europeans or the fact that many women in certain European countries don't shave. Most Europeans speak at least some English. They can mostly understand you, even when you can't understand them. I think this had more to do with the limited cultural experiences of the *particular* Americans who stood out instead of Americans as a whole.

Mephisto makes cute and comfortable shoes. I should note that it is hard to find nice high heels that you can wear to walk in the US. But, you *can* find them in Italy because that is what most women wear. I bought a pair of Italian high heeled black scrappy sandals (not fancy or expensive ones) when we lived in Germany and I wore them to every function I could for ten years. They recently bit the dust. It was a sad, sad day.

It is easy to spot Japanese tourists here in Hawaii because of how they dress. That doesn't make anyone wrong or badly dressed or unwelcome, but they are easy to pick out as a tourist *when dressed that way*. You aren't going to find anyone else on the beach looking like they are going to a techno dance club while carrying a Hello Kitty umbrella to keep the sun off. Does it mean all Japanese tourists dress that way? No, but those are the ones you can easily pick out.

dh's neice lives in germany, and married a ukrainian (their common language is german) - who didn't like american's and never ever wanted to go to america. He finally visited, and it wasn't like the stereotypes he'd heard most of his life.

I think there is a confusion in this thread. Most people who have responded are not talking about 'what they don't like about Americans' but rather 'in what way are Americans distinctive'. I've lived in the US, am married to an American and have dual nationality children. I'm not anti-American or anti-Americans, I can just see what make them different from my compatriots.

L

No one said you were unwelcome. But yes, you will stand out unless you make an effort to blend in (and probably even if you try to blend in). It's ok not to blend, too, but to always keep in mind that you are a visitor and, as I tell my kids, be the best representation of your home country that you can be.

being considered "ugly" or "septic" as stated above is unwelcoming. Being considered different isn't necessarily a bad thing. We will be different just as the country we are visiting is different to us. I'm just wondering how prevalent that "ugly Americans" attitude would be? Is that a select few that are just ill-mannered themselves or generally the view towards Americans outside the US as a whole even if they are doing their best to be good representatives but fail due to ignorance of the intricacies belonging to that culture or general ingrained mannerism that the traveler may not even be aware that he or she possesses? I do believe that we should do our best to learn about a culture we are visiting but I never knew that I would be identified by smiling too much (is that ok or somehow annoying, or just a way to identify because it is different?).... I'm actually getting ready to travel to a country in Central America and I will try to remind my DH that his volume might be offensive and he needs to be careful. Although in all our discussions about this culture from those who have been there, that has not come up neither has smiling too much. It sounds like a smile and greeting when walking the streets is culturally expected and that I should expect to not receive a greeting in return or even some ugliness because my American-ness will show no matter what.