Menu

Without Googling...Juneteenth.

AndyJoy

Juneteenth  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know the term meaning of Juneteenth?

• Yes
    • No

DH was mocked at work this week for not knowing to what Juneteenth referred. I didn't know either. Once we were told, we explained that we knew about it, but had never heard it called by that name. We're wondering how commonly known this is. If you're willing, please tell me where you grew up as well!

DH was mocked at work this week for not knowing to what Juneteenth referred. I didn't know either. Once we were told, we explained that we knew about it, but had never heard it called by that name. We're wondering how commonly known this is. If you're willing, please tell me where you grew up as well!

Curious, when you say you knew of it, what do you mean by that? I am wondering if the celebration has a different name elsewhere. Or, you know about that specific bit of Texas history?

Curious, when you say you knew of it, what do you mean by that? I am wondering if the celebration has a different name elsewhere. Or, you know about that specific bit of Texas history?

We were taught the term Emancipation Day and only knew it by that name. According to Wikipedia the name Juneteenth was coined in 1903 and it is also called Emancipation Day or Freedom Day. We grew up in Idaho and Alaska (and a few other places due to the military) and if there were any large celebrations locally we never heard of them.

I've always known and I think it's a great day to celebrate. There's no specific day to commemorate the effective, if not legal, end of American slavery so I consider Juneteenth the day.

I agree, we just called it Emancipation Day!

Yes. One of my favorite books is the Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. I reread it a lot in high school and I bought his second (and posthumously published) novel Juneteenth as soon as it became available. I never saw any Juneteenth celebrations when I was growing up so the book is actually the first thing I think of when I hear the word.

I grew up in TN and never heard of it. Then I moved to Tulsa, home of the Jazz Hall of Fame. Now I've heard.

http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/J/JU004.html