Menu

Does anyone else here NOT wear makeup ever?

Luanne

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to not wear it. For years, into my 40's.

What I learned is that, for me, not wearing made a statement about what I feel about myself.

There are women whose anxiety and self definition are at unhealthy levels around make up. OTOH, not embracing culturally sanctioned ways to express beauty can be an unhealthy expression - that is where I was.

I've worn makeup since around Christmas. I feel better, and feel that it is more professional.

For me not wearing make-up made a statement, too -- that I was fine with my appearance. I worked until 2 years ago, when I stopped to focus on multi-generational family matters. The only time I wore make-up to the office -- strike that, I can't remember a single time. Men are never expected to wear it, so why should it be "professional" for women to do so?

Generations ago our foremothers fought for the right to CHOOSE whether to wear make-up. Now it has become such a cultural expectation for women to wear it -- it's ridiculous, in my opinion. We have the right to CHOOSE, and society can just get used to that. I choose to wear it if I know I am going to be on camera (officially, since I am NOT photogenic), or on display under bright lights, or for that extra touch when attending my DH's company's functions. And for playing dress-up with my DDs (they like to make me up, and Grandma, too).

My Mom would take 45 minutes minimum to do her face every single day, and I honestly can say she didn't look any better in person than she did without it. She didn't share with me how to apply make-up (I'm not sure she was ever confident in her knowledge or technique), and living on a farm I didn't have the time outside of school to get with friends to learn. I asked some friends to show me in college, and it all seemed like such a bother, was uncomfortable, and I kept rubbing my face.

I've already spoken with my SIL and my eldest niece (currently 13), and they will teach my girls about how to properly select and wear make-up, since I don't know how. I at least want my girls fully comfortable and confident in how to use it, so they can choose freely.

I guess it's a touchy subject with me -- I get defensive. I apologize right now if I have given any offense to anyone. None is intended.

I wear it very rarely. Not because I don't want to, but because it's more trouble than it's worth. I have Rosacea and dry flaky red facial skin and when I wear makeup ( and I've tried them ALL) by the 2-3rd week of using it, I get a rash and have to heal it before I can try anything on my face. I used to wear full face makeup all the time and I prefer it since my skin is red and blotchy, but I can't. If I use mascara even, I get eye issues. I never used to until I got chicken pox at 27 and then fifth's disease right after. It KILLED my skin. :(

I never wear make up. I do dye my eyelashes otherwise I might wear mascara.

You can do that ?!?! Details please!!!

The only one who seems bothered by it at all is my grandmother. SHe calls me cocky, for at least not putting on lipstick....lol. It still makes me laugh to think about that. When she was sick and in the hospital (like so sick we thought she was dying for crying out loud!) I did put some on to please her; she was very happy. LOL.

That is the south for you *roll eyes*

My grandmother won't leave the house without lipstick and she's pushing 90. :-/

I just prefer not to wear makeup. The last time I did was three years ago at my brother's wedding. I still have some makeup, but I just don't care for that oily feel. The other issues I have is being allergic to a lot of things and it making my face break out (acne). My daughter is the same. She just prefers not to wear makeup. She didn't even wear it at my brother's wedding. Anyone else like this?

You might wanna think about tossing anything you're keeping.

I'm all over the place. About 4-6 days a week I wear no make-up at all. Usually once or twice a week I break down and do the five minute natural look. Occasionally, I'll wear "date make-up" if I'm wearing a dress for an evening. About once a month I wear what I call "Full Drag" for a stage performance . . . primer, base, powder, false eyelashes . . .I do NOT enjoy the process of putting it all on, but it's fun to have an alter ego :-)

Unless I have given birth in the past 12 hours, I have make-up on. True story. We just bought a house. On the first day here, I was bummed to realize we have a mailbox on the street instead of by the front door. Now I have to put my face on before I can read the mail!

I hardly wear make-up, and then not much. I had an uber-duper-super nasty eye infection 20 years ago that wrecked my health - and I've been wary ever since.

I also have the problem of very fair skin, and it's hard to find make-up that works with my skin tone. I do indulge in parfume.

I'm more on the natural side of the spectrum.

I did wear under-eye concealer so other parents didn't get the idea that I'm staying up all night drinking, but since I started wearing glasses full time I've even given that up.

Oh and moisturizer. Everyone should cleanse and wear moisturizer/sunblock. Skin care is different IMO.

I tried make up. My mom was not a big user and my dad is a fan of the natural look so I didn't really use it in high school. I was made up several times by friends in college and I tried one thing or another on my own. I did not like the look or feel of it. My eyelashes are sparse enough that mascara makes me look neurotic. Everything is scented which is hyper-distracting. Lots of products make me itch. I can't even wear earrings. I finally just let my ears close up.

I married a man who likes the natural look. I spent most of my time around him in a sweatshirt, ponytail, and no make up. He just likes my face. :D I like my face too...most of the time...and the stuff I don't like isn't going to be magically changed with make up. I found accepting myself in my 20s to be a cheaper and healthier alternative to make up and clothes. Of course, ask me again in 5 years when the gray is uneven and the wrinkles take over. :rolleyes:

Okay, I WILL admit to coloring my hair. Dark Brown. The thing is, when my eldest niece was 6 and my eldest DD was 4 I was watching the 6-year-olds at a dance lesson to see what DN was doing. Another lady came up to me and very sweetly asked, "Do you have a grandchild in this class, too?" "Um, no. My daughter is in the 4-year-olds class...." She never spoke another word to me. I had my grays covered the next day -- I do NOT want to be taken for my children's grandmother.

I do have some vanity after all, it appears.

Well, dh has had gray hair since he was in his early 20's. So we've always looked 'unmatched' even though he's only 2 years older than I am. When I was 30 I decided I wanted to go to college but was nervous about taking the SAT again. So he kindly offered to take it with me, even though he had a master's degree. As we checked in, the proctor commented how sweet it was that my dad was taking the test with me.

So I'm kind of glad that I'm starting to turn gray- and no way am I going to cover it!

With so many folks having babies later in life, I'd NEVER try to guess whether someone was a mom or a grandma. But I sure understand not wanting to be mistaken for a grandma until it's time to BE a grandma!

For me not wearing make-up made a statement, too -- that I was fine with my appearance. I worked until 2 years ago, when I stopped to focus on multi-generational family matters. The only time I wore make-up to the office -- strike that, I can't remember a single time. Men are never expected to wear it, so why should it be "professional" for women to do so?

Generations ago our foremothers fought for the right to CHOOSE whether to wear make-up. Now it has become such a cultural expectation for women to wear it -- it's ridiculous, in my opinion. We have the right to CHOOSE, and society can just get used to that. I choose to wear it if I know I am going to be on camera (officially, since I am NOT photogenic), or on display under bright lights, or for that extra touch when attending my DH's company's functions. And for playing dress-up with my DDs (they like to make me up, and Grandma, too).

My Mom would take 45 minutes minimum to do her face every single day, and I honestly can say she didn't look any better in person than she did without it. She didn't share with me how to apply make-up (I'm not sure she was ever confident in her knowledge or technique), and living on a farm I didn't have the time outside of school to get with friends to learn. I asked some friends to show me in college, and it all seemed like such a bother, was uncomfortable, and I kept rubbing my face.

I've already spoken with my SIL and my eldest niece (currently 13), and they will teach my girls about how to properly select and wear make-up, since I don't know how. I at least want my girls fully comfortable and confident in how to use it, so they can choose freely.

I guess it's a touchy subject with me -- I get defensive. I apologize right now if I have given any offense to anyone. None is intended.

Awesome.

Given that it is the cultural, professional expectation, I'm ok with wearing make up as a part of my professional orientation.

I don't think it masks my feminism at all. ;)

I hear your points, I really do. But I need to work on a professional level more than to try to take a stand.

And, for me, I feel better investing in my appearance. I think it's in part a reaction to my early mom years, and 1st marriage.

I didn't except special events. Then we had 3 of my siblings get married in a year. I was nervous about the first as I hadn't worn make up in over 5 years. My younger sister took me to mac. They are great at teaching you how to put on make up. I went back with my eyeshadow like 5 times!

I have found I like putting on eyeshadow sometimes now, so if dh is taking me out I will put on eyeshadow. I love all the colors and how I can change the way my eyes look. I don't do foundation and all the rest, but the eyes are fun!

I wear a little bit on date night, or when I have a girls night out. In the deep winter I do wear a tinted moisturizer and a little bronzer some days. I am an almost ginger with olive undertones, and scary sickly pale in Jan and Feb.

Summer time - maybe mascara and a little eyeliner for a night out. There is no point when it is 185 degrees every day for weeks on end.

I wear make up every single day since high school. I am very pale and would be washed out and be self conscious about it. During the week I wear more to work. On weekends I'm more minimalistic but still wear it. I NEVER leave house without lipstick. (I feel so vain :).)

My daughter, however, has beautiful, dark complexion and long lashes. She is only sixteen but really doesn't need make up, and doesn't wear it.

Does chapstick count?

If not, then I never wear make-up :)

I've never liked taking the time for it. I feel fine in my own face. It's not perfect, but. . . yanno, I try to keep it clean and use lotion.

I'm not into doing my hair every morning, putting on jewelry, putting on make up. Bleh.

I never used to wear it regularly but recently started doing so. I've also started wearing nicer clothes around the house. I don't need a lot of makeup (even less in the summer). It takes under 5 minutes to apply and it makes me feel more polished.

I didn't wear makeup at all until my mid-30s. I too didn't like the feel. I discovered Bare Minerals, however, which doesn't make my skin feel 'dirty'. Now most days I do a very light covering of my zitty areas. I think I look more pulled together with a touch of makeup. I also do a light covering of black mascara. 3 minutes max in the morning. I do think if you never wear makeup, no one notices since you look the same each day. I think ladies that wear alot of makeup daily look very different without!

Used too. Took too much time and felt yucky. I cannot stand stuff on my face for the most part. Just putting sunscreen on makes me shiver. So I'm much happier without it.

That said, I would like to put together a basic kit for special days. I'll have to try the Bare Minerals line--I just plain can't do anything that isn't dry on my face. I don't even like my own hair anywhere near my face when it is wet.

I always have a bottle of mascara stashed somewhere, but I don't wear anything else. I'm actually probably going to be in the market for some eyeliner and lipstick soon, though. I feel ready to start wearing more. I don't like having a layer of foundation/powder on my face, however. My skin is so light that it's really hard to match and I end up looking and feeling like I have an orange mask on LOL

Almost never. I also can't stand the feel of it on my face. I do have some clear mascara and blush, and I'll wear it on special occasions like weddings, but I can't wait to get home and wash my face. Dh and I had a rare date night a couple of weeks ago, and I put on the mascara, blush, and a tinted lip balm, and he told me that he noticed that I got "gussied up" for our date. He's so romantic. :glare:

I wore full makeup every day from the time I was in college until I became a sahm at age 40. I got tired of it, but I also found that as I got older, makeup didn't look as good on me as it once did. Even the lightest foundation looked heavy. I use a tinted moisturizer and some blush most days. If I go out I put on lip gloss. Mascara is rare these days due to allergies, but I wear it on special occasions.

So, while I haven't given up makeup completely, what I wear now is practically nothing compared to what I used to wear.

Awesome.

Given that it is the cultural, professional expectation, I'm ok with wearing make up as a part of my professional orientation.

I hear your points, I really do. But I need to work on a professional level more than to try to take a stand.

And, for me, I feel better investing in my appearance. I think it's in part a reaction to my early mom years, and 1st marriage.

I'm an attorney and CPA. I have held professional jobs for over 20 years, including 13 years in a "Big 4" accounting firm. I have had more client meetings in suits than I care to remember. Also seminar presentations, university teaching, etc. However, in none of those situations did I wear any make-up. [Neither did any of my male colleagues.] Since I've brought in a lot of highly profitable revenue, I don't think showing my natural face has hurt me professionally. It may depend on which profession you're in, and it may depend on your features (I have brown eyebrows etc.), but I would not say that professionalism requires make-up. In fact, I think the way some people wear make-up detracts from their professionalism, by making it seem they are more concerned about their face than their work product.

In fact, I think the way some people wear make-up detracts from their professionalism, by making it seem they are more concerned about their face than their work product.

I think it may be where people live and what they do in the same way that hubby, an engineer who owns his firm and is highly regarded, would be LESS respected if he wore suits or even shirt/tie than more casual clothes (khakis) or even jeans. For many professions, people "don't trust" the "official" look - his is one of them. Even when we lived in a large city in FL and he worked for another company the very first day he was told, "Lose the suit/tie." In a bank or selling cars it might likely be different.

I know I see more teens and older guys look at women in a different fashion when they wear make up than when they don't. I'd equate professionalism more based upon how one carries themselves in conversation and what they wear (clothing) more than make up except for a few areas where it is more expected (actors/actresses or newscasters come to mind).

I've never had anyone think of me anything other than professionally on the job and haven't worn make up since college. I don't want the attention make up could bring.

Every day. Foundation, blush, eye shadow, eye liner, mascara all in under 10 minutes. I could not love my Chanel foundation more and get compliments on my great "natural" skin all the time.

That is my biggest makeup splurge for when I need a little more. It's silky and that subtle shimmer is nice. I know this thread is about not wearing makeup. And truly, I am not a big wearer.

I can't remember the last time I work makeup. I do think I have some but it really needs to be thrown out. It doesn't stay good for a long time. I don't wear it because I feel like I'm playing dress up and just feel plain silly. My eyelashes are super light and could probably stand some attention. I wouldn't feel right wearing only one thing. I'm an all or nothing kind of gal so it's none for me.

I no longer dye my hair either. I like the silvery gray coming in. It's sophisticated. :tongue_smilie:

i dont think i've worn makeup . . . id, i usually buy some when i'm doing a job interview, but i'm not sure i even did that last time. last time i did a job interview was 5 years ago. quite certain i havent worn any in the last 5 years

Awesome.

I agree with you for the most part. I think that if it makes you feel good, it is a great thing. if I felt good in it, I's be willing to wear it. I think makeup works well for many but that it is fine that it doesn't work for all. I would also point out that standards of professionalism are different from place to place and industry. Houston, Chicago and Seattle etc all have a different feel for what is a professional look and banking, transportation managment and the non profit sector etc do a well. My professionalism was never hampered by my lack of makeup. That said, where I live and worked, people wearing lots of makeup or super fancy clothing would not fit it at all because of a need to appear ready for anything. I dressed nicely, kept clean and neat but in order to be effective as a professional, my clean face and no fuss appearance were an advantage, not a disadvantage. My female coworkers who were into makeup tended to wear little or none at work and then wear it on their personal time. I must have looked professional enought as I still get inquires about my interest in employment and I haven't been working FT in over a year. It's not universal for make up to be the professional standard. :)

I started wearing makeup in middle school because it made me feel grown up and all my friends did. In high school I remember conversations with friends about not wanted to ever be seen without makeup. Then in college I started getting recurrent pink eye. I got tired of having to toss out my makeup and replace it every time. It was getting expensive so I stopped. it was about the time I met my now DH. He preferred me without makeup, so it worked for me. I now wear it on very rare occasions. My DD, who is 12, hates makeup. She started having to wear it for dance competitions and recitals at a young age, so it never held the same draw as it did for me at her age. Although he has started to want to wear a bit of lip gloss and has said she may want to wear more soon. I figure it will be up to her.

Interesting thread! I had no idea that people felt so strongly about make-up.

I wear make-up every day. A light liquid foundation, minimal blush, eye shadow, mascara, and lip gloss. Takes me less than 3 minutes to put on, and it's a very natural look. Some people might not even notice it. I don't want to look like I have make-up on - I just want to look my best. Make-up makes me feel and look more put together.

That said, I'm fine leaving the house without make-up too. When we have to go somewhere early in the morning, I don't always get around to it. That's fine too.

I worked in the corporate world for 20 years. While many of the women I worked with wore make-up, many others didn't. There was no correlation that I could see between someone's level of success in the workplace and whether or not that person wore make-up. The definition of what constituted a "professional look" really varied from industry to industry as well.

You overdid the poison. :laugh:

I have often wished I could be a no-makeup person, but I look like the Walking Dead without it. Seriously. Every now and then when I've been seen without make-up, someone always asks me if I'm sick. :glare: Nope. Just ugly.

Ha! That's how I am, except since I rarely leave the house during the week I almost never wear make-up. I only wear make-up if we are going on a date or somewhere nice (rare).

After I had given birth to my last baby, a nurse from my midwife's office saw me at Costco. She wasn't close enough to say hi I guess, but she actually reported back to my midwife that I looked really sick or tired, and my midwife called me just to check on me- because of how horrible I looked!!! Embarrassing!

My eyelashes are super light and could probably stand some attention.

I no longer dye my hair either. I like the silvery gray coming in. It's sophisticated.

My eyelashes are dark but short. When I wear my glasses, which is most of the time, it's not that noticeable. When I wear contacts, I try to remember to add a touch of mascara. I do cover my gray. It's the one bit of vanity I allow myself to give in to without feeling guilty. :)

My mother always wore makeup and she rarely left the house. And she wore a ton of it. I think it was more in style then or something.

There was a time when it was much more fashionable. My mother and grandmother both never left the house without makeup, and usually put it on even if they expected to be home all day with no visitors. When I wore full makeup, I often forgot about lipstick, or licked it off soon after I applied it. Both Mom and Grandma used to tell me I should wear lipstick. I have pale, thin lips, so I can understand why they said that. To them you would no more think of not wearing makeup every day than not brushing your hair.

Oh, c'mon. This is The Hive! Is there anything people here don't feel strongly about? :lol:

I feel strongly about it for myself - as in, "I" don't like it and never will + have no need to bother with it (ever), but I don't really care what others do. Most of the time I don't even notice. I also tend to not notice what they are wearing. (Seriously, people will ask if they are looking for someone and I won't be able to tell them.) My brain just overlooks those details unless they REALLY stand out (and that's usually NOT in a good way).

I know I'm not normal (by not wearing makeup and not noticing what others wear), but I kind of like that fact. I'd be horrid as an eye witness to anything (seriously). "What was the suspect wearing?" Um... beats me - something dark? No, wait, maybe red?

My hubby notices all the details for me, so as long as he is with me, I can always ask him if I care to know. (He is one of those who prefers the non-make up look.)

I wear make-up if I'm going to be around "real" people...those not my family. :tongue_smilie: So, on Mondays and Thursdays I volunteer at an office, and I wear it. Tuesdays and Wednesdays I don't unless I'm meeting a girlfriend for lunch or happy hour. Fridays and Saturdays I wear it if we're going anywhere or doing anything, otherwise, if I'm home doing laundry, no. Sundays, yes, for church. So, I guess 3-5 days a week is a "yes".

I don't wear foundation because it's too heavy and greasy-feeling for me. I've also been blessed with good skin, so I don't need the foundation to cover anything up. Unless they made a great product for wrinkles, because at almost 50, those are starting to be a bit more aggressive in their desire to be noticed. :D