Menu

ok, was I being "cheap" here or not

Jeannie in NJ

ok, this is very minor but last night, dh, sil and I went out to dinner. Dh got pizza, sil got a sub and I got a meal that came with a salad and a WONDERFUL sesame seed roll. Well, I ate the salad, the roll and half my entree. The waitress came by and asked if I wanted another roll. I told her I was taking the rest of my meal home but could she put another roll in my take home container. She said "Of course" and did not act wierd about it at all. Both my dh and sil said that I should not have asked for a roll to be put in with my leftovers. They said that was being very cheap. I said well if I was still hungry, I would have had her bring me the roll that she offered and would have eaten it there so what was the difference if I take it home and eat it later. Also whenever we eat at a place that brings a full bread basket and there is bread left over, I always wrap up the bread and take it home, cause I assume that they will just be throwing it out and the bread is always so good.

so was I being cheap, would you have done the same or should I not have asked to take a roll home? As i said this is very minor in the scheme of things but I am just curious if I did something "socially unacceptable" lol.

I probably would have said, "Could I get an extra in the doggie bag, I don't mind paying for it!" To which the waitress would have said, "OH, they're no charge!"

But no, nothing you did strikes me as cheap. If they were given away, she would have said, "Ok, but I need to bill you 1.40 for a take away. Is that ok?" But she didn't, which means throwing one in the doggie bag is common practice.

It makes no difference to the restaurant - as the pp said, they would have given you the roll if you had carried on eating. To me it does feel odd though: something about taking more food when you haven't finished what's on your plate. Not a big deal either way though.

Laura

You're only getting what the restaurant offers. Your DH and SIL sound like you asked for a discount on your food after you ate. Maybe they would have been okay if you said yes to having a roll delivered to your table, and then taking it? I'm more surprised that someone packed your to go box. The restaurants I eat at hand you boxes at the table and you pack them yourselves! :)

As a food server I would have tucked one in with your leftovers myself. Well, that is until so many people have gone gluten free. Now I don't do it anymore because I might accidentally get gluten on someones meal and spoil it. But previously I always tucked a fresh roll in with someone's meal when I boxed it up.

You asked. She said of course. Where's the problem? I think it was a breach of etiquette for your dinner companions to chastise you for it at the table.

:iagree:

Your DH and SIL are way too uptight. The waitress offered! It's not as if you grabbed one off another table's abandoned plates.

:iagree: We always ask for Bread in our to go boxes when we eat at Outback Steakhouse. And they almost always give us "extra". I asked for a loaf to take home one time, and the waitress brought us a bag w/ four! :D

Personally, I probably would have accepted the roll, then later on asked to have the remainder of my meal boxed up (including the roll). That way it would seem like I intended to eat the roll there, then ended up being too full.

Asking for it to be added to my takeout box would make me feel uncomfortable, not cheap, but like I was taking advantage of their generosity. But that's just me. I wouldn't care if someone else in my party did so, and I certainly wouldn't say anything about it. If it were just dh and I, I would probably just roll my eyes at him.

Nope, not cheap if you tipped appropriately for great service. I waited tables through college and could definitely tell the difference between cheap customers and those with proper etiquette by the way they tipped, especially if I went out of my way for them.

I think whenever anyone asks for their food to be packaged up and especially when they ask for extras to be thrown in, they should remember to tip well.

I think cheap is a frame of mind ... an attitude.

Asking for more bread isn't what may make you cheap, it's why you're asking (IMO). If you're asking because you enjoy it, and you appreciate that they include it - great! If you're asking because you think they charge too much and you want your "money's worth" or something ... cheap! LOL

It's like taking sugar or ketchup packets :) I always keep 2-3 sugar packets in the car for "emergencies" when they don't add enough to my drinks. Not cheap. But I have a relative who grabs a handful of ketchup packets every time she eats out so she can keep an overflowing stash at home (thereby avoiding buying her own ketchup). Cheap!

OP is fine. Her dinner companions strike me as overly strict. I would not have asked for "an extra to go"; but neither do I think this is a cosmic-level issue.

Usually, bread is a low-profit-margin item. Also, if the evening was drawing to a close, a restaurant would prefer to give a diner that extra roll for free. Happy Customer makes Repeat Customer. Also, the bread legally may not be sold the next day, so it either would go into the dumpster, to a hog farm, or to a local charity with which an arrangement is in place.

1) You were fine. The waitress would have told you if the restaurant didn't like giving away free rolls in doggie bags.

2) Your dh and sil were out of line. What is the purpose of telling you that you embarrassed yourself (in their opinion) AFTER the fact? Especially in a ganging-up situation. Yuck. Now that is bad manners.

3) Just don't take home the rolls at a buffet place. Once I took my grandmother, who didn't get out much, to Old Country Buffet. She thought it was wonderful, but her eyes were bigger than her stomach, and she took one more roll than she could eat. Being from the depression era, she could not bear to leave it on her plate, so she wrapped it in a napkin and put it in her coat pocket. Would you believe they apprehended her on the way out the door for "stealing?"! She was utterly mortified. Obviously they were only going to throw that bread in the garbage. However, I guess their theory is that if you let old ladies take a roll home, next time they will come in with a garbage bag and fill it up or something. Bah.

The waitress first asked you if you wanted another roll. She offered it first. There is no reason not to ask her just toss it in your to go box instead of bringing it to the table.

Your dining companions needed a little chill-pill after dinner mint.

Cheap is my millionaire ex-MIL taking home two slices of the cheapest, nastiest bread it is possible to buy, that was left over from her husband's hospital breakfast.

It's not like she really enjoys it or something either. Ex left 3/4 of specialty fruit loaf from the farmer's market in the pantry last week, stayed over at a friend's place for the night and it was gone when he got back.