Menu

Check out limits at the library, do you have them?

Bang!Zoom!

I have no idea what our limits are.

My kids have their own cards so that our giant pile doesn't look quite so bad in the computer.

ETA: just re-read the OP. You have a FAMILY limit of 25? That really is terrible. Can you ask for an educator exception?

I know there is a limit. I guess I have not reached it because I have checked out as many as 20 book at a time, then checked out 10-15 more the next day or so at another library. (we stop at various library's around town if we are out and about, it's dd favorite past time. They all have different children's area themes set up).

We've always had generous limits when we lived in a large metroplex area.

Now we are in a small town (80K), we have the ridiculous limit of 10 books per card. No educational or teacher card available. You can only recheck once. Then you have to bring them back and return them and wait for them to be reshelved before checking out again. I buy all the books needed for school now - no matter if it is only needed for a week or two.

Do not get me started on the fine structure here.

50 items per card, I think there are some restrictions on dvd's as in i know you can only have 2 TV shows at a time but not sure on other dvd's. Its the same for childrens cards too. We have 6 cards so we can have a ton at a time. I love that they allow you to print 75 pages free from the computers weekly too (on all 6 cards) It's been a life saver for schooling on the cheap!

You guys have it good. I can get 7 books per card and 2 or 3 DVDs on the adult card only. I think audiobooks are separate, but I don't know that limit. We have 4 cards right now. My littlest one is still "earning" his card. I don't use the library all that much. I try to keep the use to only dd's and my cards. I have their numbers memorized so it is easy to do the online renewal.

50 items per adult card, with 6 DVD/CD/etc combo limit. Books are due in 3 weeks, with 1 renewal available (used to be 2 renewals). Oh, and they changed the way the renewal works -- it used to add 3 weeks to the end of the time, now it's 3 weeks from the date you renew. No more going in 1 week after you checked it out.

5 per child card, no DVD's/CD/etc. allowed. No renewals allowed either on children's cards. :huh:

Limits! Hahahahahahaha! Well, one library has a limit of 100 per card. We did reach that once, but we have several cards. That library system has a bigger selection but fines are thirty cents a day for books and two dollars a day for DVDs. Two week checkout, one week for DVDs, and you can usually renew three times if there are no holds.

The other library system is smaller in size and selection, but we have routinely had over 100 out on a card (and we have five cards for that library, because they are awesome and let our 4yo get his very own card), and they never even blink. They say, "Hurray, we love homeschoolers, good for you!". Fines are only five, maybe ten, cents, for books, DVDs, anything, and they will let you renew a lot of times.

25 book limit per family would be awfully depressing!

50 books and 8 DVDs per card.

We currently have 3 cards, but could register for three more if needed.

We have a great system. We can keep books for 30 days and DVDs for 7 days with two additional renewals (which they will automatically do for you.) I've never been fined, even when (a few days) over the extended limit.

Our local, free library is abysmal, so I pay for a yearly membership to a nearby, but out of state, larger system. we live 3miles from the state line. We have a 99 item limit per card, and we have 4 cards. I don't know what our ILL limit is, as I rarely use it. I love our library, and the few times we've had excessive fines, they always voluntarily cut them in half even though I'm perfectly willing to pay them in full.

We belong to two libraries. We have a limit of 5 dvds at one library and 6 at the other, I think. No limit on books or other materials that I'm aware of, though both libraries request families not to take more than two or three holiday books at a time from their seasonal displays.

I believe we can have 60 items per card. They used to have a hold limit of 30 items. I don't know if that's still there. I don't know if there's a limit on DVDs, etc. They do have some video games that can be checked out too.

You can only get 10 eBooks at a time.

Items renew from the date you renew it, but we can renew 5 times with a 3 week checkout (although DVDs are 1 week).

I haven't used ILL... you have to pay for shipping.

I love our library.

10 items! That's just crazy. So sorry for those of you that have to deal with such a ridiculous limit.

Here it's 50 (down from 75 a couple years ago) with a 5 dvd limit included in that. They can also limit you to 2 books on the same topic if that topic is "hot" which I take to mean if it's a pending holiday or the local school system has a whole class/grade doing reports on that topic. Dd always checks out tons of books on the same topic and we've never actually been refused.

50 items per card, we have 3 cards. I try to put everything on the kids' cards because fines on items on their cards are $.15/day, they are $.30/day on adult cards.

Items can be renewed 3 times unless there are holds.

I've never done ILL, there is about 80 libraries in our system (L.A. County) that I can get items from, if it's not in our system, I buy it.

No limits at check out, system ILL 10 reserved at a time (once some come in you can get more), MELCAT is unlimited (statewide ILL system). Check out is 3 weeks, renewals are for one week. Fines are 10 cents a day. Printing is 10 cents a page black and white, 50 cents colored. Don't remember what the costs are for copy and fax. Oh and free wifi that is on 24/7 so if need be you can sit in the parking at midnight to use the Internet :)

50 items per card, and everyone in the family can have a card. 3 ILL's at a time. I love my library! I have to pay to use it, because we live outside city limits, but it is worth every penny! Everyone who works there is incredibly helpful and friendly. I use 1000's of dollars worth of items there every year.

The only limits I've seen are on children's computer programs (2 per card) because they have a limited on-shelf number. Similarly, in the first 5 years the VHS/DVD collection was limited to 4 per family. It was posted clearly at the shelf and checkout desks. This was so one family couldn't keep others from enjoying the limited collection. We haven't had VHS/DVD limitations since 2005 (when the collection covered several shelves). Currently DVDs in the general collection (older than 1 year) can be rechecked out up to 3x...just like books...while new videos must be turned in within 7 days. That seems fair to me. I've never heard of book limits, anywhere.

We have a great library, with lots of community support for it. I couldn't imagine a 25 item family limit! *shudder*

Guest ashnic8504

We have a limit of 50 items per card. Most items can be checked out for 3 weeks and renewed 3 times for a total loan period of 12 weeks. DVDs have a limit of 10 per card, a checkout time of 1 week, and two renewals for a possible loan period of 3 weeks.

The only limits I've seen are on children's computer programs (2 per card) because they have a limited on-shelf number. Similarly, in the first 5 years the VHS/DVD collection was limited to 4 per family. It was posted clearly at the shelf and checkout desks. This was so one family couldn't keep others from enjoying the limited collection. We haven't had VHS/DVD limitations since 2005 (when the collection covered several shelves). Currently DVDs in the general collection (older than 1 year) can be rechecked out up to 3x...just like books...while new videos must be turned in within 7 days. That seems fair to me. I've never heard of book limits, anywhere.

We have a great library, with lots of community support for it. I couldn't imagine a 25 item family limit! *shudder*

At the big local city library, we are limited to 50 books per card. (We've never hit it -- I don't WANT that many books out at once. i'd lose them!) Checked out for 3 weeks. 1 renewal for 3 weeks from renewal date. Only 5 holds at a time :(

I don't think DVDs can be renewed. I think there's a limit but we haven't hit it.

5 cents per day late charge for children's books, 25 cents for adult, $1 for DVDs.

150 items per card

3 weeks, 6 weeks for an educator card

IIRC, 15 holds per regular card, 35 for an educator card

no ILL for educator cards, but educators also have a regular card

I don't know if we have a limit because I have never been stopped from checking anything out (except for excessive fines on my account.) We do check out a lot of books. Checkout period is 3 weeks for books/cd's and 1 week for dvd's. Educators (including homeschoolers) get double check out period. We can renew up to 3 times as long as there is no hold on the item. Other than collection management where great books are culled due to "insufficient circulation", the only other complaint I have is that I have to check out/renew educator check out materials in person. Everything else can be done either be self-checkout or online.