Menu

What is your current favorite TV show?

GraciebytheBay

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peep Show... the first seven series are on Netflix, and I'm waiting breathlessly for series 8 to arrive (ships on Boxing Day from the UK).

It's not for everyone. :tongue_smilie:

I rarely watch TV, but have built up a few favorites over the years.

From growing up (but still enjoy):

Are You Being Served

More recent:

Big Bang Theory

Torchwood

Dr Who

Grimm

Once Upon a Time

Monk

My kids like Merlin, but I'm kind of meh about it. I watched the first episode of Downton Abbey and couldn't make it to the end. I keep telling myself I'll try again. Is it supposed to be funny?

What do you watch on TV? If you're in the middle of a series on Netflix/other streaming, please post that too. With break coming up, I am excited to spend some time relaxing in front of the tube, and I need some ideas! :)

I like Castle -- mystery writer works with homicide detective. It's hilarious, but not for kids. I'm a mystery junkie.

We all like Once, and Japanese animation (pre-viewed and culled very carefully by DH before the kids see them, as many that sound innocuous are NOT kid-appropriate).

Phineas and Ferb is a great all-around pleaser.

Barbie movies go over big here, and I appreciate that they actually have real plots (most of them).

Pixar movies are always winners.

Musicals! My Fair Lady, The Music Man, Pirates of Penzance....

For some truly great, imaginative movies look for the works of Hiyao Miazaki and Studio Gibli. Some truly wonderful stuff, but do check them out for age groups before sitting the kids down with them. Some of his stuff (like Princess Mononoki) is meant for older kids. Some, though, like Poyno and My Neighbor Totoro, and wonderful for even young kids.

Things my kids watch with us even though they are a little young:

Grimm

Big Bang Theory

Go On

Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog (has a grim ending, though)

Eureka

Warehouse 13

Nova

How Beer Saved the World

Top Gear

Mythbusters

sundry history shows

I know this sounds like a lot of TV watching, but this lists stuff we watched over YEARS. Netflix is a horribly handy addictive substance, so be careful!

Parks and Recreation and Once Upon a Time. Has to be both!Have to admit, too, that I am watching a lot of slightly older BBC (etc.) shows like Victorian Farm and The Victorian Kitchen and Wartime Farm via YouTube and another documentary channel I don't remember the name of (it is bookmarked on another computer so I can't look it up easily).

These aren't always on all the time and I wouldn't call any of them favorite, but they're ones that I've enjoyed recently:

Bones

CSI

White Collar

Grimm

Two & a Half Men (It's awful without Charlie Sheen but, like a train wreck, I just can't stop watching)

Mike & Molly

Elementary

Guys With Kids

Revolution (Not really a fan, but I'll watch it when I've got nothing better.)

Dexter (If I had to pick a favorite, this would be it.)

Pit Bulls & Parolees (I :wub: this show)

Raising Hope (Hilarious!)

True Blood

Anger Management (Grrrr. When is this coming back? It's great!)

Animal Intervention

Dog Whisperer/Leader of the Pack with Cesar Milan

Amish: Out of Order

Tanked

Walking Dead

The Big Bang Theory

Sister Wives

Cake Boss

Mountain Men (A family favorite!)

Vampire Diaries

Arrow

Beauty & The Beast

Emily Owens, MD

Mob Doctor

Recent ones I've enjoyed that have been cancelled:

The Finder

Breakout Kings

CSI: Miami

Gosh, that makes it sound like I do nothing but watch tv all day. In reality, I often go days at a time without turning it on, and some shows I've only seen a couple of episodes but still enjoyed it.

We just discovered Sherlock on Netflix (actually College Boy tuned us in as it is a cult-favorite at school.) It is incredible. There are only 6 episodes right now, but they are 90 minutes long and absolutely fantastic. On a side note, Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock) and Martin Freeman are both in the Hobbit. I knew about Martin Freeman as Bilbo, but laughed out loud when I saw that B.C. was credited in the movie as well (voice work.) I think there are supposed to be more coming in 2014 - a long wait, but worth it.

Other than that, I love NCIS and Big Bang Theory. Another one I enjoy watching is Wallander starring Kenneth Branagh on PBS. It is a bit of a downer, but well acted and interesting.

Eagerly awaiting the return of Doctor Who.

Others shows include:

Bones

Once Upon A Time

Big Bang Theory

Bob's Burgers (not a kid-friendly cartoon)

DIL and I just started watching One Tree Hill from the beginning b/c she's never seen it before.