Menu

Would you join Mensa?

Would you join Mensa?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Would you join Mensa?

• No
    • Maybe
    • Yes

No, I don't see the point in socializing with people whose only commonality is IQ. I know plenty of brilliant people. Some are friends with whole I have a lot in common, some are insufferable, most fall in between and, while I may enjoy our conversation, there is nothing particularly appealing about spending my little free time with them.

I said 'yes' only because I was a member in the past.

When I met my (now) husband, I was a nuclear engineering major in my junior year. I loved the academics and potential future but changed my major to education so when we had children I would be able to more easily stay at home. Since his job offered opportunity to travel, teaching offered an opportunity to get a job anywhere.

Good in theory except that it left me feeling resentful when DH's engineering friends would gather and exclude me from the conversation because i couldn't possibly understand their conversation.

Mensa was the paper proof that made me feel validated.

That said, I've grown up a lot and realize my worth doesn't need that kind of validation. So, membership status is currently inactive.

The only people I've met that advertised they were members were insufferable, so no thanks.

:iagree:

It sorta feels like those that join have something to prove. My BIL made a huge deal of joining because my husband qualified for gifted classes and was a national merit scholar and he didn't so it was his way of "catching up." His words not mine. That's strange. My husband is certainly eligible, as is my son and I reckon I would be too but I am just not tied to IQ like that.

I was a member for a while, but since I wasn't participating in many of the get-togethers, I let my membership lapse.

I think it can be fun if your local group is friendly and if you make the effort to attend the events. I don't recall anyone acting superior or talking about being smarter than other people. It was more of a social and networking kind of group.

I wouldnt sign my kids up, but DH should have been a part of it, he needed a group like that.

I tried taking the quiz they have on their site and I got lost on the 2nd question, DH was speaking a foreign language explaining it.

Edited by Jpoy85

DH's sister is in it. Her license plate says MENSA, she has it all over her house. She talks about it all the time. She rubs me the wrong wall all the way around.

MENSA is a dirty word in our house.....for being so smart she sure is NOT smart when it comes to real life.

Dawn

I haven't yet. I just don't see enough benefit. I passed my first qualifier when I was 6, my parents probably didn't have the money then. Dh, both older kids and I all have qualified, the little ones haven't really been tested. We're all in the 'highly gifted' range, as opposed to some people I've known in the profoundly or exceptionally gifted range, where I can see it being a great tool to find people to be able to relate to.

The people I've known IRL who have talked about being members are all kind of obnoxious all-around. I wouldn't pay money to hang out with them and hear more about how smart they are.

I think a lot could do with location, though. Where I live there's a vibrant intellectual community with tons of colleges which all host lectures and events open to the public, and where if you are super smart and have a very high level interest in an area you can probably meet that need easily. (Not that I personally have any such talent or interests!) If someone feels that that sort of community is a lot harder to find where they live, a membership might be worth it.

My mother is a member. Growing up, I went to a lot of the local chapter meetings and I helped put the monthly newsletter together. So I know a lot about making newsletters and bulk mailings. I met a lot of people at the chapter. While they all have placed high on an IQ test, it is a social group. So if you are interested in joining and you have already have a qualifying score, check out the local chapter. It's just like any other group - craft guild, book clubs, supper clubs, service clubs, etc., with the connecting thread of a high IQ. You really should be interested in the mission of the group since you have to pay membership dues, just like any other group.

I qualify and was invited, but I don't see the benefit of being in a group that only accepts you based on your IQ. I'm not an "exclusive" kind of person. And it's not like IQ limits the ability to be in any other group.

I also feel it would be uncomfortable to have that going on when you have loved ones who do not qualify. I can't imagine saying, "I can't come that day, I have a MENSA event."

And would there not be pressure to make sure your kids qualified? Yuck. No thanks.

I never had any interest, myself. However, good friends of ours joined primarily to get their son access to local activities with other smart kids. They were active with the youth stuff for a while and had a good experience.

By the time I joined the e-group, things there were petering out. Most of the kids had gotten older and found their niches elsewhere. So, it wasn't much help to us.

I voted "maybe." I wouldn't be bothered to join for me. But I might if I had a kid I thought would benefit.

I'm noticing that a few people wouldn't join Mensa because they know someone who is a member, and who is really obnoxious about it.

The thing is, you probably also know other members, who wouldn't even think to tell you that they were Mensans, in the same way they wouldn't brag about having a nice car, new furniture, or a big house.

What I'm trying to say is that, the people who brag about their Mensa membership are the same people who will brag about anything and everything else that makes them feel important. It's not a Mensa thing. It's an Obnoxious Bragging Idiot thing.