Menu

I wish we had a subforum to discuss politics...

Ugh! No, no, no! I got sucked into a FB political discussion last night and this morning, despite repeated telling myself not to go there. I blame the PMS:glare:. No matter how nice, logical, respectful, and humorous I tried to be, I still got insulted. People lose their minds over politics. All reason goes out the window. It just gets nasty. I love a good rational debate, but I think politics and reason just cannot exist in the same space.

With the election coming up, I'd LOVE to discuss politics with some of you. I wish there was a hidden, invite-only section of the board to discuss stuff like that. Something like must have 250 posts, request it, blah, blah, blah.

Wouldn't that be neat?!

Nope!

We can barely keep topics like cupcakes civil, I don't see how we could possibly keep a much more contentious topic civil. Heck, I'm a middle-aged, crotchety woman, I'm lucky my kids are still alive some days! :D

Although, I am still pro Mungo-Dunbar 2012. You really should check out their platform. :lol::auto:

Yeah, I agree with the OP, but I think too many people here are too emotional and sensitive for it to work. No offense.

I have yet to find a forum where I can discuss politics with a group of intelligent, well-reasoned, well-informed, and diverse individuals, as you find here. I prefer discussing politics with people who have differing points of view than myself, it's the best way to grow.

Maybe I will start a forum for those interested in such discussions without being overly emotional. Everyone would have to abide by the rules of being respectful and not taking things too personally. Any interest? (PM me is probably best)

Edited by tntgoodwin

Nope!

We can barely keep topics like cupcakes civil, I don't see how we could possibly keep a much more contentious topic civil. Heck, I'm a middle-aged, crotchety woman, I'm lucky my kids are still alive some days! :D

Although, I am still pro Mungo-Dunbar 2012. You really should check out their platform. :lol::auto:

Some political views are always worthy of sharing!

Yeah, I agree with the OP, but I think too many people here are too emotional and sensitive for it to work. No offense.

I have yet to find a forum where I can discuss politics with a group of intelligent, well-reasoned individuals as you find here. I prefer discussing politics with people who have differing points of view than myself, it's the best way to grow.

Maybe I will start a forum for those interested in such discussions without being overly emotional. Everyone would have to abide by the rules of being respectful and not taking things too personally. Any interest?

I would be! Probably more for reading than posting. I enjoy considering a broad range of perspectives from intelligent people.

I guess I have rose-colored glasses. :tongue_smilie: I would hope that people could be respectful, but others could be thick-skinned about so-and-so not respecting your view. You wouldnt go there unless you WANTED to. But...probably not, huh? :001_huh:

Lol, you just haven't been around long enough to understand. Politics were not always banned. It was ugly. The poor moderators were very inundated with insanity. Gosh, just look how controversial some of the totally apolitical threads can get.

I think that 95% or so of the members here could probably actually discuss respectfully and have an interesting conversation. I think one of the bigger problems in our country right now is a lack of understanding between the two sides of the political spectrum. Many conservatives have no liberal friends and vice versa. That's just hard.

But I think the other 5% or so would ruin it, so in the end... NO. I mostly like you all. I'd like to keep it that way. It's hard enough with the threads that touch on other controversial issues here like science, feminism, spanking, and homosexuality.

I was just thinking how nice this board has been this election season and how much I like the politics free space. Thanks moderators

:iagree:Last presidential election I participated in political message boards, I was totally sucked in. I have avoided it all this time, TV too. Ahh... I think the old fashioned idea of not discussing religion or politics very wise.;)

I think that 95% or so of the members here could probably actually discuss respectfully and have an interesting conversation. I think one of the bigger problems in our country right now is a lack of understanding between the two sides of the political spectrum. Many conservatives have no liberal friends and vice versa. That's just hard.

But I think the other 5% or so would ruin it, so in the end... NO. I mostly like you all. I'd like to keep it that way. It's hard enough with the threads that touch on other controversial issues here like science, feminism, spanking, and homosexuality.

:iagree:

:iagree:

I'm thankful it's against board policy here. It's nice to have a place where politics aren't shoved in your face. I consider WTM my safe-haven during election time. :D

:iagree: My favorite :tongue_smilie: moment the last election was the poster who made it loud and clear she was starting her OWN group someplace secret and only people of her ilk would be given the location. Plenty said they wanted to join. It was like junior high all over: we've got a club and only PLU (please like us) are welcome, and we're going to be sure and let everyone know WE have an exclusive club. :lol:

Low point on the WTM boards, to my mind, but now so far past it is funny.

Not. At. All.

I've been on the boards 10+ years, even the old ones. It is always bitter ugly when politics get discussed. If you want a real drag down knock out dirty fight fest, then sure. A political sub-forum is a great idea. :glare:

:iagree: My favorite :tongue_smilie: moment the last election was the poster who made it loud and clear she was starting her OWN group someplace secret and only people of her ilk would be given the location. Plenty said they wanted to join. It was like junior high all over: we've got a club and only PLU (please like us) are welcome, and we're going to be sure and let everyone know WE have an exclusive club. :lol:

Low point on the WTM boards, to my mind, but now so far past it is funny.

I considered that a good-riddance-to-bad-rubbish moment.

I have yet to find a forum where I can discuss politics with a group of intelligent, well-reasoned, well-informed, and diverse individuals, as you find here. I prefer discussing politics with people who have differing points of view than myself, it's the best way to grow.

Maybe I will start a forum for those interested in such discussions without being overly emotional. Everyone would have to abide by the rules of being respectful and not taking things too personally. Any interest? (PM me is probably best)

I would be interested too. I enjoy hearing everyone's pov. There's been times I've wanted to ask something along the political spectrum here because I knew I would hear many differing views. That's what I like about this place. But, I knew that politics is verboten.

I hesitate to say that I do know about another homeschooling forum that does allow politics. In the past election everyone mostly played nice (not always). It's also is a much smaller place so that probably made it easier for the mods to keep a lid on things when needed. But, are we allowed to publicly share other forums?? What's the forum etiquette on that? I don't want to be a rude guest.

I would be interested too. I enjoy hearing everyone's pov. There's been times I've wanted to ask something along the political spectrum here because I knew I would hear many differing views. That's what I like about this place. But, I knew that politics is verboten.

I hesitate to say that I do know about another homeschooling forum that does allow politics. In the past election everyone mostly played nice (not always). It's also is a much smaller place so that probably made it easier for the mods to keep a lid on things when needed. But, are we allowed to publicly share other forums?? What's the forum etiquette on that? I don't want to be a rude guest.

General netiquette is that you don't advertise for other forums on a forum. Some say it's okay if the forum being advertised isn't for a related topic/purpose.

Not. At. All.

I've been on the boards 10+ years, even the old ones. It is always bitter ugly when politics get discussed. If you want a real drag down knock out dirty fight fest, then sure. A political sub-forum is a great idea. :glare:

When there were social groups in place, semiprofessional offendees would roam the groups they were not members of and complain to mods about being offended by posts. I don't know if you can hide a subforum or social group.

While I generally avoid the political threads I do have this one question--it's actually ds2's question. We watched the last two debates together, and at the start of the VP debate ds2 asked if the Democrats had to wear blue ties and the Republicans had to wear red ties. I hadn't noticed that but he picked up on it right away. And now I'm wondering if this tie thing was so for debates in previous election years. :bigear:

Ok, I just checked the 2008 debate 1 video on youtube and they're both wearing red ties.

Suppose there is subforum. How would you keep a discussion from degenerating into something bad?

Well, in my head the rules would be that if you couldn't play nice (name calling and such) in the subforum, you couldn't come back in. Similarly, if you we're busy complaining to the mods, the it would be obvious you couldn't take the heat and would be locked out too.

But apparently we are all just a secretly vicious group. :lol: I did witness the Cupcake Kerfuffle...

My friends on FB are boring. They all think like and agree with me. I need to branch out I guess. I don't even know anyone irl that doesn't have my same views. This board, w/o politics, sometimes blows my mind. WITH politics... I might just keel over and die. But im totally ok with that! Can't we just make a poll to see who we are all voting for and not comment on it? Please?