Menu

I wish we had a subforum to discuss politics...

While I generally avoid the political threads I do have this one question--it's actually ds2's question. We watched the last two debates together, and at the start of the VP debate ds2 asked if the Democrats had to wear blue ties and the Republicans had to wear red ties. I hadn't noticed that but he picked up on it right away. And now I'm wondering if this tie thing was so for debates in previous election years. :bigear:

Ok, I just checked the 2008 debate 1 video on youtube and they're both wearing red ties.

I noticed it with both debates this time too. Show some diversity! Where's the green ties? Or yellow? Or be a real man and wear pink. :D

While I generally avoid the political threads I do have this one question--it's actually ds2's question. We watched the last two debates together, and at the start of the VP debate ds2 asked if the Democrats had to wear blue ties and the Republicans had to wear red ties. I hadn't noticed that but he picked up on it right away. And now I'm wondering if this tie thing was so for debates in previous election years. :bigear:

Ok, I just checked the 2008 debate 1 video on youtube and they're both wearing red ties.

This link has probably more information in it than you ever wanted about red and blue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_states_and_blue_states

I would, however, be okay with the poll question of "Which candidate would you rather see in a kilt?"

Hmmm, good question. Have you see this (very reliable ;) ) article?

Politics don't hugely bother me (I try to respect the guidelines because SWB is generously allowing me to use WTMF at no cost to me, so it's her call) but IME it really tends to detract from a forum when you start having little exclusive sub groups that only certain people are allowed to post in / see / know about.

Edited by Hotdrink

Well, in my head the rules would be that if you couldn't play nice (name calling and such) in the subforum, you couldn't come back in. Similarly, if you we're busy complaining to the mods, the it would be obvious you couldn't take the heat and would be locked out too.

But apparently we are all just a secretly vicious group. :lol: I did witness the Cupcake Kerfuffle...

The problem last go-round wasn't so much that there were nasty political discussions (though there was no shortage), but rather that the divisiveness and bad feelings were not restricted to those threads. I see no benefit in reintroducing political discussion, even in a subforum or a social group, that outweighs the risk of further fracturing the community.

The problem last go-round wasn't so much that there were nasty political discussions (though there was no shortage), but rather that the divisiveness and bad feelings were not restricted to those threads. I see no benefit in reintroducing political discussion, even in a subforum or a social group, that outweighs the risk of further fracturing the community.

:iagree: I know that many of the wise homeschool veterans on this board have political views different from my own. I would hate to offend them by posting my own political views or risk the possibility of me cheapening their advice just because they didn't agree with my political choices. Also, it has been my experience that even the most rational, sane person can resort to "Yo Momma" stupidness when it comes to politics.

I started homeschooling right before the last election. The first board I joined (which shall not be named) aggravated the snot out of me because of all the political haterade everyone was drinking. I came here. It was a little tense at first, but the wise, all-knowing SWB banned the political crud. I get bombarded by propaganda (from both sides) on FB. I come here for the kilts.;)

You buy the 'Survival' kilt from Utilikilt, then instead of carrying 18 bottles of beer, you use the pockets as work boxes.

Ummmm, while this is a good idea, if my dh ever wore a utilikilt, complete with work boxes, I don't think I would leave my bedroom;).

I have been seriously considering blocking some of my FB friends and family (from both sides of the aisle) because I'm so sick of all the political rhetoric.

And I must have been taking a board break during the Great Cupcake Kerfuffle. I'm so sad I missed it. :tongue_smilie: (Did it get completely deleted or can I still find it around??)

Eta: I think I found it. Holy cow, 1600 posts!?! We had a technology fast in August, and I can see that was good timing. I would have forgotten to feed my kids for 2 days if I were trying to keep up with that thread ;)

Edited by bonniebeth4

Well...after reading the previously linked thread, I guess it wouldn't work here. Strong minds form strong opinions and all that... It was just a thought... Mostly because I don't know many who differ greatly from my political beliefs. And those that I do know are uninformed younger adults who aren't even aware how our government functions. (Seriously, one was surprised to learn our country is not a democracy.)

Well...after reading the previously linked thread, I guess it wouldn't work here. Strong minds form strong opinions and all that... It was just a thought... Mostly because I don't know many who differ greatly from my political beliefs. And those that I do know are uninformed younger adults who aren't even aware how our government functions. (Seriously, one was surprised to learn our country is not a democracy.)

Ahh. I now see your reasoning. As a blue-violet gal living in a RED state, with FB friends from all across the political spectrum, I constantly hear both sides. Constantly:glare:. I feel no need to listen to the garbage from both sides here.

While I don't have any issue with the no-politics policy here, and rather enjoy the safety provided by that policy, I'm occasionally saddened by it. I'm sad because this IS such an amazing group, with hugely divergent political opinion, but nonetheless we agree on one thing: education. I've said it in another thread somewhere else, but I still think it's true... homeschooling is where the political spectrum wraps around and meets itself. The extreme left and extreme right meet here every day along with plenty of folks who are not extreme. I love, love, love that.

Like others, I feel frustrated by the political situation in our country. But I have hope that maybe someday it will get better, and maybe that healing will come from groups like this, where we disagree on so many important issues but we agree on SOMETHING. It's a starting place, and that is sorely needed in our political arena these days.

:)

Nope.

Noooooo!

Head on over to Facebook. Lots of folks would love to talk politics with you, I'm sure :001_smile:.

No desire whatsoever.

I was just thinking how nice this board has been this election season and how much I like the politics free space. Thanks moderators

I'm thankful it's against board policy here. It's nice to have a place where politics aren't shoved in your face. I consider WTM my safe-haven during election time. :D

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! It gets beyond nasty.

That is all.

Nope.

Nope, nope, nope.

The country is too politicized.

AHHHHHHH! This is the only place of refuge on the internet. FB is driving me bonkers. I like the ban on politics :)

:iagree::iagree:

I like living in my Pollyanna sunshine world, political talk just ruins that. I think the political discussion ban is one of the best things about this board.

I'm thankful it's against board policy here. It's nice to have a place where politics aren't shoved in your face. I consider WTM my safe-haven during election time. :D

:iagree:

I like not hating people on this forum. I don't know if that would be the case if we started talking politics.

Ugh! No, no, no! I got sucked into a FB political discussion last night and this morning, despite repeated telling myself not to go there. I blame the PMS:glare:. No matter how nice, logical, respectful, and humorous I tried to be, I still got insulted. People lose their minds over politics. All reason goes out the window. It just gets nasty. I love a good rational debate, but I think politics and reason just cannot exist in the same space.

:iagree:

She should be surprised considering the U.S. is a representative democracy.

And this post illustrates why it can be a problem. Someone will take your post as saying that all people who disagree with you are uniformed and unaware of how our government works. It really wouldn't be a big leap for someone to make. I am not saying that you think that, but can you see how that could happen?

And this post illustrates why it can be a problem. Someone will take your post as saying that all people who disagree with you are uniformed and unaware of how our government works. It really wouldn't be a big leap for someone to make. I am not saying that you think that, but can you see how that could happen?

Yes, I could see that! :lol:

Maybe I should try a unit study on anarchy. Hmm... anyone see the irony in *planning* that one?? :lol: Besides, it might give DS ideas...

:lol:

Oh goodness, we don't need to know any more about anarchy. My kids are already pretty good at sowing dissension and I feel like our house is only a few steps away from anarchy. :tongue_smilie: