Menu

how do you type "c"

I was just playing around on a typing program to see if it'd be a good fit for dd. It told me to type "c" with my left middle finger. I've always used my index finger, and it felt funny to try with my middle finger.

Am I just weird? I type "x" with my middle finger, which I'm guessing is wrong too. But I type "z" with my pinky.

What finger do you use for those letters?

I was just playing around on a typing program to see if it'd be a good fit for dd. It told me to type "c" with my left middle finger. I've always used my index finger, and it felt funny to try with my middle finger.

Am I just weird? I type "x" with my middle finger, which I'm guessing is wrong too. But I type "z" with my pinky.

I type all my letters the "official" way I was taught, including middle for "c", ring for "x", and "z" with my pinky.

:iagree: I'm such a nerd that I voluntarily took typing in summer school after 7th grade and again in 9th grade.

I taught myself to type decently well (but not correctly) prior to 11th grade. I decided to take typing in 11th grade to try and change my poor form even though it was serving me well enough. I'm so glad I did. I now type for a living, where speed matters, and I'm glad I had the skills to finish the training for this job.

Edited by milovaný

I honestly don't know which way I was taught. I remember learning to type on a computer program in elementary school, but after a few weeks we were just left to our own devices. I probably couldn't remember and just came up with my own way. I type quite fast, so I don't think I'll bother trying to change. I just never gave it much thought before, and I didn't know I was doing anything "wrong."

(Though at least I don't hunt and peck like dh - though he does hunt and peck very quickly.)

C is left index finger for me. X is 4th finger on left hand. I've always done this.

So do you not use your ring finger? And what finger do you use for V & B, because the way you do it I see you using your index finger for c, v & b?

So do you not use your ring finger? And what finger do you use for V & B, because the way you do it I see you using your index finger for c, v & b?

I use my ring finger for "w", left index finger for "v" and right index finger for "b"

I type all my letters the "official" way I was taught, including middle for "c", ring for "x", and "z" with my pinky.

:iagree: I'm such a nerd that I voluntarily took typing in summer school after 7th grade and again in 9th grade.

A woman after my own heart!:D I'm such a nerd that:

1. When I was an older teen I played with Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing software during lunch for fun (I learned on an electric typewriter)

2. When I was in college I used to play several typing-based games for fun (Have you ever seen Typing of the Dead? Very random.)

3. When I was teaching typing to jr. high students, I played the free online typing games with them at the end of class!

It told me to type "c" with my left middle finger. I've always used my index finger, and it felt funny to try with my middle finger.

I use the same fingers as you do. But then, I took a short, summer typing course after 10th grade and I think I didn't practise the top and bottom row keys well enough.

I was taught the same as you. C is the pointer finger on the left hand that goes back and down to the left. M is the same movement on the right hand.

The only keys that I use my middle finger for on either hand are E and I in the row above.

I wonder what method this is. Which finger do you use for D and K?

I wonder what method this is. Which finger do you use for D and K?

Sorry, I didn't explain myself well. :blush: D and K are middle finger as well. I was talking about keys that aren't on the home row.

I was taught to type on an electric typewriter back in the 90's. I've not done a wpm test in a long while though so I don't have an exact number, but I would guess around 70 wpm.

I use my left index for b & v, middle for c, ring for x, pinky for z. I use my right index for n & m, middle for , ring for . and pinky for /.

In the top row I use my left pinky for q, ring for w, middle for e, index for r and t. Right index for y and u, middle for i, ring for o, pinky for p. My index fingers already control six keys each (plus two in the number row!) so I can't see adding more to their domain!! lol

C - middle left finger

X - third left finger (between pinky and middle)

This is what I was taught, too. I took typing in the early 80's at a local community college for summer school (only because my dad thought all girls needed to know how to type and I refused to take typing as a regular course at high school).

My pointer finger. Same as every other letter:tongue_smilie: guess I'm the only hunt and peck typist here!!

In spite of my efforts this is how ds2 types. Funny thing is he can type pretty darn fast this way. He credits it to playing pc-based video games. :001_rolleyes:

Two years of typing, back in the day when it really was typing and not keyboarding, with actual typewriters that had *blank keys*--no letters printed on them--so that we had to type by touch. The "c" is typed with the middle finger of the left hand. Also, "6" typed with the index finger of the right hand, "5" with the index finger of the left. FYI. ::bg::

I taught keyboarding (among other things) for 10 years. Using "home row" designators it's the d finger for c and the s for x. You who were taught correctly prior to Mavis Beacon and the like probably heard a lot of dcd dcd dcd.

OP, what you're doing is probably because you were sort of left to your own. It works for you and I certainly wouldn't try to change it but I would teach your daughter correctly. The "problem" with index for c is just that it's pretty busy running f, g, b, t, r, and v. All your daughter's middle finger will be doing is d, e, and c.

That said people with hand disabilities of all sorts use modified methods and some of them type very well!

I don't remember how I was taught, lo these many moons ago. But, I learned on a manual typewriter (with covers so you had to touch type). DH actual complains about how *hard* I type because I really had to smash those keys down to type quickly and not have keys stick, lol.

I did do a lot of dcd, kmk, etc, but apparently did it wrong because I use my left index for c and my left middle for x.

Some of my kids have learned fairly well with a Timon and Pumba game and then using dance mat typing online. Still working with my youngest.

C is left pointer finger for me, but I couldn't tell you if that's how I was officially taught or if that's just how it worked out.

Probably just how it worked out, because I'm paying attention to how I'm typing right now, and I'm pretty sure my left pointer finger is doing a disproportionate amount of the typing.

I tend to use my left index finger for c, but sometimes it ends up being the middle finger depending on what I'm typing.

I have not taken a typing class, but simply learned to type by typing (and by playing multi-user dungeons online while I was in college.) However, I type rapidly without looking at the keys, and feel no urge to change at this point.

Since we're looking:

x may be with the left middle finger, the left index finger, or the left ring finger depending on what I'm typing and where my hands are. For example, in 'index' and 'example' I end up with the left ring finger. However, with 'maximum' it ends up being the index finger because I hit 'a' with the finger finger and the index is simply the most convenient.

'z' is almost always the left ring finger.

I tend to use the pinky mostly for shift, tab, and caps lock, however, sometimes it ends up typing 'a' or 'q'.

ETA: The last typing test I took (for a temp agency) scored me at 129 with 99% accuracy.

Edited by kiana