Menu

Why do people clamor for a new iphone?

I just got the Iphone 4S but it was right before these came out and my old cell phone had died. No way would I stand in line just to get a new phone.

And I love Apple products but not that much.

Me too. I got the 4S two months ago because my 3G wouldn't pull up the phone part anymore after loading the last update. I was perfectly fine with it until that happened.

I pre-ordered my Galaxy S III online the day it went live, but I would never stand in line for a phone. There are few things I would stand in line for.

I don't camp out for anything, ever! :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: Even Deathly Hallows (the movies). And I'm a tremendous HP fan. I just knew that a week later, I would be able to walk right in and sit wherever I wanted.

I was watching local news at 4 this morning, and people were in line to buy them. I am not sure. Some people like the newest of everything techie. Some probably do it for status or bragging rights.

This is most of my friends! They aren't techies but sure will post their pics on FB standing in lines for new gadgets. I need to re-evaluate my friends!! :lol:

I FINALLY got a 4 in April, first "smart phone" ... certainly not trading up yet!

DH is a gadget lover. My new iPhone arrived at my doorstep earlier today. We want the new one b/c the old one is already acting up. The main button doesn't work well and we want to change service providers, so why not. I personally would not stand in line, though.

but I had preordered and just did in-store pickup. I wouldn't have stood in the line if I didn't know I was going to walk out with my phone.

I preordered my 4S and got delivery to my house instead.

I would've had the 5 delivered this morning, but dh said I couldn't have the Disney trip AND the new phone. I'll probably get it for Christmas if I decide the phone itself is enough of an improvement to make it worthwhile (I got the software upgrade).

I've stood in lines for things a few times. My son and I sat 4 hours waiting on midnight to buy his Wii (but again, we were twelfth in line and KNEW we were getting a Wii at midnight). It was fun, and it's something he still talks about. The kids and I did some lines for beanie babies a few times. We were dumb, but it was fun, and they all still remember those mornings fondly (picking up doughnuts and cold milk on the way to camp in line for a couple hours til the stores opened with the new beanies stocked).

Gosh, I guess it is kinda silly, but we have made some fun memories!

I don't camp out for anything, ever!

I would have said this until....

Next Saturday, a local dentist is doing (some) work for free for 50 people. There is no way on earth I'm not going to be one of the first people there! I'm DESPERATE. I have already told hubby he is NOT working next Saturday (I am so sick of this overtime junk as it is). He *must* be here to take care of the kids as *I* am going to have at least two teeth fixed. If it means I need to be there at 10pm Friday night, so be it. I'm hoping 5am will work though.

ETA: I'm due for an update, but I cannot imagine spending $200 right now especially since my iPhone4 works just fine.

:iagree: Even Deathly Hallows (the movies). And I'm a tremendous HP fan. I just knew that a week later, I would be able to walk right in and sit wherever I wanted.

There is something to be said, though, for standing with the kids at midnight, freezing cold, watching everyone wave their wands in line. It was such a sweet family memory- my kids will soon be the age where they'll want to do this with their friends instead of their parents. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

(and I bet I will be doing it again, when Catching Fire comes out)

Yeah I'll join you with the :confused:

I have a friend that gets the newest iphone every time it comes out and posts it all over FB :D

I am not sure why people would buy another if their previous one worked fine - but I'm not techie like that. My phone does nothing except make and answer calls - :lol: Half the time I forget to charge it -90% of the time I never take it with me unless Dh reminds me and its pre-paid to boot as I don't make enough calls to justify a plan :lol:

All I can say is that Apple must not be a good product if you need to replace it so often ;):tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

I would have said this until....

Next Saturday, a local dentist is doing (some) work for free for 50 people. There is no way on earth I'm not going to be one of the first people there! I'm DESPERATE. I have already told hubby he is NOT working next Saturday (I am so sick of this overtime junk as it is). He *must* be here to take care of the kids as *I* am going to have at least two teeth fixed. If it means I need to be there at 10pm Friday night, so be it. I'm hoping 5am will work though.

ETA: I'm due for an update, but I cannot imagine spending $200 right now especially since my iPhone4 works just fine.

I am *so* with you on this. I would do just about anything for some free dental work right now. Including standing in line all night long.

May you be #1 in line!

Maybe they're standing in line because the battery on their previous iPhone gave up the ghost about 11 months in. :willy_nilly:

Last year, I went from the original iPhone, to the iPhone 4s(I think it's 4s . . .it has Siri) the battery for my old one lasted about 5 years. It was indestructible too. I dropped it on concrete every other day. Alas, it became haunted and would randomly call people.

I do love the new one. I use the video camera a lot. It's hard to use other touchscreens after having Apple products because other screens seem less responsive. My Siri is hysterically untrained, but DH has used his enough that it's really accurate.

It was all over my FB feed a few weeks ago when Apple did the pre-order for the new iPhone. So I'm going with bragging rights/desire to keep up with the Joneses. It's one thing to replace an old phone with a newer version, but another to make sure every single one of your FB friends knows you have the latest & greatest technology. :rolleyes:

DH still has the iPhone that his previous employer bought for him back in 2010. It still works fine so I don't expect him to replace it until he needs to.

My husband is a computer engineer and LOVES everything Apple. We have two new iphones on their way to us. The best way I can explain it is that electronic gadgets are to techies like curriculum is to homeschool teachers. Hope that helps. :001_smile:

Ahhh - lightbulb moment :lol: Now I get it.

However - I don't ever post my lovely new curriculm on FB so I'd appreciate if others didn't post numerous posts about their iphones either :glare:

Guess what I ordered today?

Guess what's coming in the post in X number of days?

Can't sleep - I'm too excited about my new iphone

Guess what just arrived?

Here is a picture of me taking it out of the box - ahhh it's soooo pretty.

:lol:

Yes I feel the same way about my HS curriculum BUT I manage to refrain from publically commenting on it every 5 minutes.

Perhaps the question we should really be asking then is

"Why do techie's who love Apple iphones have no control over posting about it on FB" :lol:

I mean surely there are message boards where people can exclaim over it in glee with other like minded people - you know -like this one where people actually understand the love :D

I think one of the thing most of us learned was delayed gratification.

I can still get the iphone 5 without standing in line for 4 days and camping out. It just may not come until November or December.

I hope that I am instilling that in my kids too. I think I am, as so far they seem to be ok with waiting for things, but when I see all those 20 something and 30 something year olds taking 4 days off of work to camp out for the iphone, I worry!

PS: I have no issue with ordering the new iphone online in the first 10 min. I might have done that too if I were really wanting it, but camping out in front of the store for days and days......definitely not worth it!

Edited by DawnM

I'm posting this from my new iPhone 5....that I didn't stand in line for. :D I love me some Apple products. I ordered this last Friday and it showed up on my doorstep. No line necessary.

This is how it worked at my house! I answered the door yesterday, took the iPhone 5 to DH, a few hours later he gave his 4S to me and today ds will get my 4 to replace the 3G I handed down last time. It is a hand-me-down system that keeps us all happy.

We are an apple loving family from WAY back. We are also a techie family. Dh is VP of software development and the company is doing some ap development, so staying current makes sense here.

We don't do lines.

It was all over my FB feed a few weeks ago when Apple did the pre-order for the new iPhone. So I'm going with bragging rights/desire to keep up with the Joneses. It's one thing to replace an old phone with a newer version, but another to make sure every single one of your FB friends knows you have the latest & greatest technology. :rolleyes:

Yes, several of my FB friends are all excited over their new phones, posting photos and such. In their case, it definitely is a "look how cool I am" thing. These are people from my past, when my husband and I were part of the Silicon Valley tech crowd.

Do iPhones just not last very long? My current phone is a flip phone (Nokia) and I get teased about it a lot. But it's working, and there's no reason for me to get a new phone till it dies. It must be 5 years old now... not bad for a $25 phone.

My DH is a tech geek guy and got the new Iphone (delivered- no waiting.). I have friends who also are into it and put it on facebook. I don't think posting pictures is all about status, showing off, and self promoting materialism. Instead, people who are into tech think of it as a hobby. People who are into a hobby tend to have other friends who are into that hobby and who are genuinely interested and love seeing pictures and gadget talk. If you are not a techie, they probably aren't posting it for your benefit. They aren't really thinking about you at all but are too lazy to go through their friends list and unselect people and think it is not a big deal. My DH has been having so much fun talking about the phone and looking at the pictures his friends post and talking about it online. He doesn't post to his FB page because he does very little there, but I think he'd be disappointed if his friends who use FB didn't post their pictures. It's a social and bonding thing for these techie geeks.

I don't get why my DH cares so much about new tech stuff and why what seems like little upgrades to me are a big deal to him, and why he is so excited to check it out. I'm not into that. A few years ago, however, I was into cloth diapers and loved trying different brands and finding unique designs and stuff. I'm sure DH didn't get why I had to have something when to him all the diapers pretty much did the same thing, but he just nodded and smiled. :001_smile:

Two iphone 5's arrived here Friday. My boys have their FIRST smartphones!

My birthday is next week, and I opted to wait and see the iphone 5 first before I decide to trade my Motorola Droid X. So far I like my Droid X better!! I think I'll wait for the Droid Razr HD. Why would I want to downgrade to an iphone 5?

My ds is planning to jailbreak his iphone 5 to include features that come with android phones - widgets and other items.

I don't understand this either. My next phone will be a 5, but the whole panting ore-order, camping out, "ooh, I'm so excited" thing---no clue. Really, I can easily wait til Christmas. It's only because we're changing phone plans that I'm even considering a new phone. Besides, for the real changes from the 4/4S to the 5, I would not go out of my way to get it.

Rampant consumerism/materialism is my only explanation for the behavior.:confused:

My DH is a tech geek guy and got the new Iphone (delivered- no waiting.). I have friends who also are into it and put it on facebook. I don't think posting pictures is all about status, showing off, and self promoting materialism. Instead, people who are into tech think of it as a hobby. People who are into a hobby tend to have other friends who are into that hobby and who are genuinely interested and love seeing pictures and gadget talk. If you are not a techie, they probably aren't posting it for your benefit. They aren't really thinking about you at all but are too lazy to go through their friends list and unselect people and think it is not a big deal. My DH has been having so much fun talking about the phone and looking at the pictures his friends post and talking about it online. He doesn't post to his FB page because he does very little there, but I think he'd be disappointed if his friends who use FB didn't post their pictures. It's a social and bonding thing for these techie geeks.

I don't get why my DH cares so much about new tech stuff and why what seems like little upgrades to me are a big deal to him, and why he is so excited to check it out. I'm not into that. A few years ago, however, I was into cloth diapers and loved trying different brands and finding unique designs and stuff. I'm sure DH didn't get why I had to have something when to him all the diapers pretty much did the same thing, but he just nodded and smiled. :001_smile:

:iagree:

People have different interests and get excited over different things.

I don't understand this either. My next phone will be a 5, but the whole panting ore-order, camping out, "ooh, I'm so excited" thing---no clue. Really, I can easily wait til Christmas. It's only because we're changing phone plans that I'm even considering a new phone. Besides, for the real changes from the 4/4S to the 5, I would not go out of my way to get it.

Rampant consumerism/materialism is my only explanation for the behavior.:confused:

So, you are going to get one, but would be more enthusiastic with a more robust feature set so you can wait? But let's slap a negative label on the people who are ordering or lining up for the launch? Some people are liner-uppers, for movies or concerts or Black Friday sales. We all have our kinks.

I can understand the appeal of Apple products. They look great, they do what they're for really well most of the time. But Apple is the epitome of the greedy, no concern for anything or anyone but the bottom line type of company. I hope that the people who support them so fanatically aren't the same ones decrying big business, but my cynicism tells me many of them are the same people. :(

I think one of the thing most of us learned was delayed gratification.

I can still get the iphone 5 without standing in line for 4 days and camping out. It just may not come until November or December.

I hope that I am instilling that in my kids too. I think I am, as so far they seem to be ok with waiting for things, but when I see all those 20 something and 30 something year olds taking 4 days off of work to camp out for the iphone, I worry!

PS: I have no issue with ordering the new iphone online in the first 10 min. I might have done that too if I were really wanting it, but camping out in front of the store for days and days......definitely not worth it!

This. :iagree:

We love the newest technology around here, but I don't mind waiting until it can show up on my doorstep or until the long lines have died down.

Most of the time bargains aren't worth the inconvenience or hassle for me. I rarely shop on Black Friday for the same reason. I am SO not going to fight with anyone to save $10 on a Tonka truck. :glare:

I'm the same way about buying quality products: I'd rather save my money for a few months and buy the higher quality _whatever_ than to buy a cheap or bargain version of _whatever_ right away.

This is a tangent, but I recently read an article that said children who can delay gratification are less likely to be overweight as adults. Interesting.

I can understand the appeal of Apple products. They look great, they do what they're for really well most of the time. But Apple is the epitome of the greedy, no concern for anything or anyone but the bottom line type of company. I hope that the people who support them so fanatically aren't the same ones decrying big business, but my cynicism tells me many of them are the same people. :(

During Occupy Wall Street, a relative of mine was posting photos of anti-business protestors with their various Apple products. It was pretty funny. If I recall correctly, there were a few brief interviews with protestors who were obviously blind to the irony of it all.

During Occupy Wall Street, a relative of mine was posting photos of anti-business protestors with their various Apple products. It was pretty funny. If I recall correctly, there were a few brief interviews with protestors who were obviously blind to the irony of it all.

My crazy (semi-crazy by board standards) neighbor is a vocal urban-homesteading (she is something of a minor celebrity in this niche), spouting the evils of corporate anything kinda gal. Yet every time I see her, there's a cigarette hanging out of her mouth, and she neither grows nor rolls her own IYKWIM. I think they're Camels.

ETA: She's not crazy because she is an urban homesteader. She's crazy *and* an urban homesteader. :D

Edited by nmoira

I got the new iPhone delivered to my door yesterday.

I'm not keeping up with anyone, and it's not a hobby. I didn't need it (my iPhone 4 was just fine). I wanted it, and I had the money for it, so I got it.

Also, I'm selling my iPhone 4 to Gazelle for $150 (they even paid the shipping) so that really cut down on the cost.

ETA: I really don't understand the judgment. Why does anyone care what anyone else gets or doesn't get?