Menu

Does your vehicle have a sunroof? Do you love it?

I *REALLY* want a sunroof. Dh and I couldn't find a vehicle that suited all our needs that had a sunroof but dh agreed to have one put in after market. I won't lie- I was super excited about this.

Now... I'm feeling silly about spending the money on a sunroof.:tongue_smilie: Plus I'm freaked out about leaks. :(

I'm disappointed we couldn't find the perfect vehicle since I know we're going to have our new one for years and years ... and years. :001_huh:

So if you have a sunroof- do you love it? Hate it? Don't really notice it?

Gosh, am I crazy for really wanting one? Wait. Don't answer the crazy part. I think I already know. ;)

We have one. We very rarely use it. I can't use it when I'm driving because the wind in my eyes drives my contacts crazy. If it's at all hot outside, the sun shining in makes whoever is sitting in the sunlight hot.

The only cool thing is looking at the snow covering the roof from the bottom. :tongue_smilie:

The only cool thing is looking at the snow covering the roof from the bottom. :tongue_smilie:

We have one on our Suburban and this is the only time it gets opened - to show the kids the snow piled on top. :lol:

I'm with most of the other posters - it's very noisy when driving especially on the highway, the sun gets in your face, it blows things around.

So far I am in the minority, but I would never want a vehicle without one. I have had one in every car I have owned since I was 16. I love how it makes the vehicle feel more open and airy. I have mine open or cracked pretty much all year. In the winter I like to have fresh air in circulation and in the summer I am not an a/c person. I have never had a leak in any car from the sunroof, but all of them were factory installed, which I guess could make a difference.

Long story short, I say sunroof all the way :001_smile:

Our Suburban has a sunroof for when we are traveling as a family, our Jeep Liberty has a skyslider for when DH and I aren't. ;) I enjoy them both but like that they both have the option of a closed roof (with the darkout slider on the sunroof when I want it). I am pretty confident with manufacture installed items, but I doubt I would purchase after market.

I have a sunroof AND a moonroof. I hate it. If I only have the roof thingies open, if I drive faster than 12MPH we get this horrible air pressure mess and our ears hurt, plus it makes an awful noise.

I do like being able to vent it while I'm parked outside, but the sun comes right in and makes the seats so hot it;s unbearable.

Maybe we can trade cars? :glare:

My car has one and I love it- but I only use it when I'm alone in the car. Which is pretty often, actually. It makes the drive loud, but I just crank up the music and unwind with fresh air and a cool breeze. Makes the drive home from work AWESOME.

Dh has a new car and his has one- don't know that he's ever done anything other than prop it open while parked.

The Corvette has a removable top- and that's more of a pain than my sunroof so I don't often take the top out unless dh is with me.

We live a few miles from the Wisconsin border- so brutal winters make me really appreciate nice weather. Might be why I love my sunroof.

I do not like having a sun roof! And the funny thing is, I wanted one so badly when I got my first car. Eventually, I got a car that had one, but I was really bummed because it did not meet the 'dream' I had of getting a sun roof.

I agree with what the previous posters have said ...they are too windy, too loud, too hot, etc. If you like all of those things -- maybe you would like a sunroof....but they are not good for me. My current car has one and we NEVER open it. (Except sometimes when the car is parked, my son likes to open it up and stick his head out of it like a giraffe...but that doesn't really count.)

Sorry to stomp on your dream! Is there something else cool you could get for your car? Like a cool sound system?

So far I am in the minority, but I would never want a vehicle without one. I have had one in every car I have owned since I was 16. I love how it makes the vehicle feel more open and airy. I have mine open or cracked pretty much all year. In the winter I like to have fresh air in circulation and in the summer I am not an a/c person. I have never had a leak in any car from the sunroof, but all of them were factory installed, which I guess could make a difference.

Long story short, I say sunroof all the way :001_smile:

Me, too! I LOVE a sunroof. It is so dreary around here most of the year, I find that the extra light coming from above really helps keep the car from being like a dark little cave, especially if the car has a dark interior. My last car had one, and my new car has an extra-big panoramic one--and that was one of the things that went in the 'pro' column when we were deciding what to buy.

DH felt like he was making a little sacrifice when he got his SUV without a sunroof, he keeps making noises about wanting to get one put in. I might surprise him with that for some birthday or something, since that car is otherwise going strong and we'll probably have it for a long time.

I don't know if I could ever have a car without one again! I LOVE a sunroof. LOVE.

Well, let me restate that.....I currently have a convertible, so I don't need a sunroof in this car. I'm that crazy person you see driving around with the top down in the winter (or at least late fall) with the heat on, and also in the summer (A/C on). I just love it. I did the same thing with the sunroof pre-convertible.

I have had two cars with it. THe first was a Volvo station wagon and eventually it leaked. We had it fixed for a small amount. Now I have a Subaru Outback and it has no problems. We normally just open the normal roof part but keep the window closed so there is no wind. We do this at night to see the stars but not in the day since we don't like the sun at all.

I had one in my first car (VW Golf)--if you are 18 and wish you had a convertible, they are awesome. :001_smile: Now that I'm older I wouldn't like it at all. Mine was loud and whipped my hair everywhere (don't know if the newer ones are the same).

Btw, I'm glad to see you are okay.

I have my first one now. I always wanted one and this car came with one. I do love it, but I don't think I would pay to have it installed. I mostly like having the extra light in the winter. Winters are long and dark here and I will take any light I can get. I don't open it all the way often because of the wind and the noise. Mine can open just a crack and I do that on beautiful spring or autumn days. In the summer it is too hot, lol.

So, I like it a whole lot, all things being equal, I will always buy a car with one, but I wouldn't pay to have one put in. I hope that makes sense.

My last 3 cars have had sun/moon roofs. I don't like them AT ALL. I would NEVER open it. Sometimes when DH is driving he will open it, my hair flies around and sun shines right in my eyes. I HATE it.

I've had both sun and moon roofs. Like you, hate it! Not something to pay extra for, in my opinion. If you just happen to find a screaming deal that includes one, I'd get it.

We have one. Our car was a few years old when we bought it. And really while it's fun once in a while we don't use it much. I wouldn't pay extra for one. Have you driven around in one with the roof open?

:iagree:

We have one but barely use it. Like others have mentioned we don't use it because the sun beats down on you making it way too hot. The only time it is nice is if it is an overcast day and we don't get a lot of those here in sunny Colorado.

We have one in our sedan...and we will never buy another car with one! We never use it...but a few years ago, we were driving through some small Wyoming town and a rock hit our sunroof and shattered the window. It cost way more than it was worth to repair it!

(it has kind of colored my opinion of Wyoming, I admit...a rock that big didn't just fall on us at that location...someone had to have thrown it at us!)

Our sun roof is a great VENT! We have one on our Honda Civic (2 door aka 'little red car').

When it is over 100 degrees outside and even more inside the ability to crack open the sun roof helps the car cool down quickly!

We NEVER drive for longer than 1-2 minutes with it open... dh and I appreciate ta REAL air conditioner!

I use mine a lot but I could do without it. Honestly, I don't know if I would trust an after market installation.

:iagree::iagree:

Exactly this! Love it but could live without it.

We once had a sedan that had an after market sunroof and it leaked. It was probably from the 90s.

My last 3 cars have had sun/moon roofs. I don't like them AT ALL. I would NEVER open it. Sometimes when DH is driving he will open it, my hair flies around and sun shines right in my eyes. I HATE it.

To be fair, I usually forget it is even there so much that it's hard to really hate it. Neither of us think to use it and I haven't enjoyed it the times we remembered to.

All of our cars have sunroofs. One of our cars has two of them.

We don't use them.

In fact, the last time we traded in a car, the salesman asked if it had a sunroof, and my dh said no. I said I thought it might. We had to go outside to check. :tongue_smilie: (It had a sunroof... and I'm sure the salesman thought we were complete morons because we weren't sure.)

So that's how little we use our sunroofs.

Of course, I've had convertibles and I have rarely put the tops down on them, so maybe it's just me.....

I *REALLY* want a sunroof. Dh and I couldn't find a vehicle that suited all our needs that had a sunroof but dh agreed to have one put in after market. I won't lie- I was super excited about this.

Now... I'm feeling silly about spending the money on a sunroof.:tongue_smilie: Plus I'm freaked out about leaks. :(

I'm disappointed we couldn't find the perfect vehicle since I know we're going to have our new one for years and years ... and years. :001_huh:

Gosh, am I crazy for really wanting one? Wait. Don't answer the crazy part. I think I already know. ;)

I do love it, but I don't find many opportunities to actually use it. The weather has to be just right and I can't be caring about my hair that day... :tongue_smilie: It never leaks.

We have had 3 cars with sunroofs. That is in addition to the one I had prior to our marriage. I LOVE them. In the heat I crack them open when parked to keep some of the heat out. it does help.

The only time one of them "leaked" was because I left it open! :lol:

Our 2002 Saturn VUE has one, never leaked.

Our 2004 Sequoia has one, no problems.

The one I had prior to marriage was a 1989 Acura and I kept that car for 200K miles. No leaks or issues.

I use mine a lot but I could do without it. Honestly, I don't know if I would trust an after market installation.

I just sold my suburban and it has a sunroof. I'm going to miss it so much. This sounds nuts but driving with the sunroof open and playing music a little too loud makes me feel young. :001_smile:

I have had sunroofs since the 80s. I love them. Usually though I only open it if I am the only one in the car. Which is just a few times a year now that I have kids and rarely travel alone.

As far as leaks, the only ones I have ever heard abomut leaking are the ones not factory installed. Apparently it can be hard to get a good seal. As much as I love my sunroof, I would not want an aftermarket one. Too many potential problems.

Have had them in the past and was glad that our current car doesn't have one. One leaked and they couldn't figure out why. There were always the problems others mentioned: sun in your eyes, noise, air pressure. I just don't see the point. DH liked them though.