Menu

Where do you keep these items in your home?

There are a few items that I simply can't find a good "home" for in my home so I'm looking to hear where others keep these:

Part of my problem is having a baby who is into absolutely everything so I have to have things out of sight and I'm running out of good places that are. :tongue_smilie:

1. Camera

2. Video camera

2. Flashlights

3. Purse

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet

5. Your dh's wallet

6. Library books

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately

8. Outdoor toys

9. Completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.)

10.Game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc.)

Edited by plain jane

1. Camera

2. Video camera

2. Flashlights

3. Purse

5. Your dh's wallet

6. Library books

1) on DHs desk in the living room

2) we dont own one

2) In the tool bag in the hall closet

3) Back of dining room chair

4) Purse or DHs desk in living room

5) In his pants

6) in a basket specifically for them in the living room

1. Camera- either on the desk next to my computer or on the kitchen counter next to the mixer

2. Video camera - it is in the top shelf of my closet (it's broken)

2. Flashlights- in the utensil drawer of the kitchen for easy access in a power outage

3. Purse - on hook at front door or on counter at front door

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet -open in car when I pick it up or at my desk immediately, never have any unopened

5. Your dh's wallet - at his house ;)

6. Library books - on my desk in the livingroom used to have a basket but ran out of room for it when I put the desk in.

7. items to be returned to stores (or anything due to be returned to someone) - middle drawer of dresser at front door. (top shelf hold spare rags and math manips; bottom drawer holds mitts, toques and scarves)

8. Outdoor toys- all over the front and back yards :lol: When put away at end of season or when we go away they go into the garage

9. Completed homeschool stuff- each child has a bin in my room. Completed work goes there until year end assessment, then lapbooks go in magazine box for future revuew everything else into trash

10. Game system stuff- Xbox 360 stuff all goes on bottom shelf of tv stand, handheld game systems go into bedroom of child that own's it.

Edited by swellmomma
adding more categories.

1. Camera

In the camera bag on a bookshelf

2. Video camera

In a basket on a bookshelf

2. Flashlights

:confused: Where are those things? I never know.

3. Purse

On our tonsu

Kitchen table :glare:

5. Your dh's wallet

tonsu

6. Library books

basket on top of a shelf, or strewn about randomly

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately

near the front door

1. Camera - On top of a cabinet in our bedroom

2. Video camera - N/A

2. Flashlights - In a cupboard in the laundry room

3. Purse - On a hook in the hallway

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet - In a big messy pile on the kitchen island. In theory, this encourages me to deal with it in a timely manner.

5. Your dh's wallet - On the kitchen island. Where he can see it.

6. Library books - On a shelf or in a book bag hanging in the hallway.

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately - In a bag hanging in the hallway with the library books or in the van.

1. Camera-my bedroom closet

2. Video camera-ditto

2. Flashlights-emergency box in pantry

3. Purse-bookshelf

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet-bill basket on shelf

5. Your dh's wallet-ditto

6. Library books-we have a "Harry Potter" closet under our stairs with shelves in it, that is where these go.

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately-in the car

I have some, too!

Where do you keep your:

outdoor toys

completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.)

game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc.)

Ooooo. Good ones! I'll add these to my OP so they'll get noticed. :) Hope that's okay.

1. Camera ~ In my purse

2. Video camera~ n/a, it's part of the camera

2. Flashlights~ cupboard in laundry room

3. Purse~ on table beside my bed, or in closet

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet ~ On top of the shelf in the dining room

5. Your dh's wallet~ In his pocket, or on the dresser

6. Library books~ (kids) in their room (me) in my room

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately~ hmmmm, probably hanging on the doorknob in the bag - doesn't happen often

8. Outdoor toys~ garage or back patio when no garage

9. Completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.)~ recycling bin

10.Game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc.) ~ In one of these in the living room:

http://www.target.com/p/target-home-global-dark-trunk/-/A-12396390

There are a few items that I simply can't find a good "home" for in my home so I'm looking to hear where others keep these:

Part of my problem is having a baby who is into absolutely everything so I have to have things out of sight and I'm running out of good places that are. :tongue_smilie:

1. Camera In each person's bedroom

2. Video camera Don't have one-used to be on top of the hall closet

2. Flashlights Each kid has their own in their room, rest are in camping gear. There is a nightlight/flashlight in the downstairs bathroom for emergencies.

3. Purse Kitchen counter

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet Kitchen counter. I sort as I walk in the door, tossing as much as possible. I keep what I need on the fridge and leave the rest for dh.

5. Your dh's wallet Closet

6. Library books Basket on floor

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately In the bag with reciept hanging in the entry closet

8. Outdoor toys Storage bin in garage

9. Completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.) Tossed. I keep one binder each and that is in our regular homeschool material.

10.Game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc.)

Top of the closet of who it belongs to for personal items. Wii pad is by the piano. Rock band instruments are behind a screen in the living room.

I got annoyed with all this kind of stuff and put a wall of hooks up in the hallway, and now the following have a home.

3. Purse

1. Camera

6. Library books ( i have both outbound and incoming books bag)

diaper bag

piano bag

laptop bag

knitting bag

mini diaperbag

Here;s what happens with the rest:

on the tbale toss & sort as it come in.

5. Your dh's wallet - In his pocket, or on the counter overnight

2. Video camera (shelf in closet) If we used it more it would be in hook hallway

I have a rubbermaid tote ( 2x the size of a shoebox that I put a whole years worth of papers in for BOTH kids at the end of the year. I TOSS most of the workbooks, but will put samples for the year in the tub. I only let myself use 1 tub per school year.

2. Flashlights these live in a couple places, 1 with the camping stuff, 1 in a drawer in the kitchen for ER and 1 in the basement with the tools.

8. Outdoor toys LARGE tote in DS room for most of (mainly nerf/lightsabers etc) and a smaller lidded tote on shelving in the basement with the baseball mitts & balls.

10.Game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc. (in a large tote next to the system for most things, but rock-band drums are hard, Hubby stuck mine in the attic, and the cords were fried less than 6months later... :-( If I was rich I would buy the storage things for them like this....

My affinity for hooks might sound funny, but we live in a 1920's house with no hall closets, and miniscule shared bedroom closets. :-P

Edited by lcelmer

1. Camera

2. Video camera

2. Flashlights

3. Purse

5. Your dh's wallet

6. Library books

8. Outdoor toys

When the organizing craze started (about 9 to 10 years ago) I tried to "organize" and "put things away" and it didn't work so well. I read somewhere that organizing should be practical and make your life easier while keeping you from looking cluttered. So, if you walk in your house and start "shedding" then have decorative recepticles ready to collect your debris.

I have a drawer in the pantry (we put cabinets with lots of drawers in the pantry) where we put tools and flashlight. I have a junk drawer for screws, staples, candles, loose doodads.

My husband has a basket in our closet that he drops in his pocket contents and he can plug in his phone.

We have a decorative rubbermaid box for outdoor toys.

I purchased a decorative file cabinet (looks like furniture)that can sit in the living room for homeschool items.

We have a decorative deep bowl in our living room where we put our cameras (the cords discreetly come up over the sides.

We have discarded all of our cd/dvd cases and put our game cds and regular DVD in those cd binders that zip up. The accessories we have go into a heavy duty deco basket with lid that I made hinged by using yarn.

I saw a very cool thing for storing cameras and phones. It hangs on the wall and plugs into an outlet. It has many plugs for your phones and cameras and stuff, and its all hidden behind doors. I'd get one if my husband wasn't building an electrical device station in my mud room.

I have a small daytimer type notebook calendar that I carry most places. I put the mail in there. When it gets to unruly to handle I deal with the mail. My daytimer has a small pocket where I keep stamps so if I'm out somewhere and need to find something to do I can do bills right there.

I personally hate organizing where everything is "put away" you know, in a box with a lid on it, put high on a shelf. I like things within reach at a moment's notice. My compromise was to buy (mostly at garage sales) items that hide our stuff in plain sight.

1. Camera On top of the book case

2. Video camera Haven't got one, but it'd go on top of the book case

2. Flashlights Bottom drawer of the kitchen. Don't care if they play with them.

3. Purse In my handbag on the bench. In our last house, on my dressing table.

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet Dh's mail goes on that same bench. I open mine right away and put anything I can't attend to immediately in my diary.

5. Your dh's wallet In the cupboard above that bench. I'm going to miss that bench and cupboard when we move!

6. Library books We have a shelf dedicated to unread library books and one dedicated to the read library books.

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately Never an issue here, but I have a thrift shop bag sitting in my kitchen window. They stick out so there's a huge sill. I'll miss them too when we move out. Otherwise, I'd keep that in my room and the door closed.

8. Outdoor toys In the garage

9. Completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.) In the recycling bin. :D Luckily my kid is only PreK. Otherwise that'd be in a box in my room too, I guess.

10.Game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc.)Delighted not to own any!

:)

Rosie

1. Camera

2. Video camera

2. Flashlights

3. Purse

5. Your dh's wallet

6. Library books

8. Outdoor toys

1) in a top drawer 2) don't have 2) shelf in mud room and one in kiddo's room by the bed 3)linen closet near exit 4) I toss most in recycling, yank open the others and toss the envelopes and put the meat of things on my computer chair and get to it NEXT 5) who knows 6) in a bag hanging by the mud room exit 7) on the dryer right next to the mud room exit with chit taped to it 8) Garage 9) recycling bin 10) don't have.

1. Camera

Top shelf of bookshelf

2. Video camera

Inside computer desk

2. Flashlights

Top of refrigerator

3. Purse

Who knows, I'm always trying to find it.

Kitchen counter

5. Your dh's wallet

Kitchen counter

6. Library books

Kids desk

By garage door

8. Outdoor toys

Garage

Bookshelf

Under end table

1. Camera- in my purse, I like to have it with me

2. Video camera- on my son's desk in his room, he is the on,y one who uses it

2. Flashlights- junk drawer in kitchen

3. Purse- on bookshelf near the door

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet- on my desk

5. Your dh's wallet- on bookshelf near the door

6. Library books- on bookshelf near the door

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately- in the car

8. Outdoor toys- in Rubbermaid bins

9. Completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.)- I throw them away

10.Game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc.) In the cabinets underneath our TV

Our house did not have a dishwasher when we bought it, so DH installed one. It's across the kitchen from the sink (not the most convenient, but it's not a big deal), next to the refrigerator, and it has its own cabinet and countertop. It's also right next to the door we use most of the time, so it holds a lot of that sort of stuff. It's kind of a catch-all, and I clear it out every couple of weeks or so. I also have a basket on top of the refrigerator where I keep scissors, tape, Sharpies, and other stuff I want out of sight of the kids. If I was taller, it would be more useful to stash stuff up there.

1. Camera

All chargers live on the dishwasher, and that's the camera's default place too, unless someone's left it somewhere else. Right now, I think it's on my desk in the schoolroom.

2. Video camera

Video camera lives in a closet upstairs. We haven't used it since DS2's birth almost four years ago (had it set up for DS3 and then had him in the bathtub, LOL); we just use the video setting on the camera for birthdays and other such stuff.

2. Flashlights

All over the place. I've got one or two stashed on my cookbook shelf, and there are a couple near the bed, and I think the kids have a couple in their rooms.

3. Purse

Closet in the living room, but I haven't used it in years; I just throw my stuff in my diaper bag, which is usually by the kitchen door.

Don't have this. I sort all mail immediately upon bringing it into the house, every single time. Junk goes immediately in the trash, DH's mail goes in a pile until he gets home and sorts it, and stuff I need gets put with bills or other stuff.

5. Your dh's wallet

If he doesn't have it, it's on the dishwasher with his keys and such.

6. Library books

DD takes them to her room, or they live in a box next to my rocking chair.

Probably on the dishwasher. Which is why I clean it off every couple of weeks.

8. Outdoor toys

In a big bin outdoors.

On my desk or in the filing crate next to my desk.

Don't have a Wii, but computer games and cords live in a drawer in my desk. Not sure where we'd store the bigger Wii accessories though.

For us it is like this:

1. Camera In storage box in the shelf unit that sits atop dh's bureau desk

2. Video camera N/A

2. Flashlights On top of fridge

3. Purse Hangs on one of a row of hooks near door, along with sunhats or jackets. Shoe rack is below this.

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet On desk

5. Your dh's wallet Along with keys and cell phones, in small wall cupboard near front door

6. Library books On dedicated shelf on book shelf - ds5's are on 2 display shelves on bookshelf

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately On top of low shoe rack near door

8. Outdoor toys In boxes in shed

9. Completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.) On small "library shelf" on wheels that I made (see Ana White's website).

10.Game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc.) N/A - No space for such things

1. Camera - bedroom closet

2. Video camera - ditto

2. Flashlights One is in bedroom at dh's side of the bed, others are stored in a lower kitchen cabinet (one of those oddly-shaped, useless cabinets. LOL)

3. Purse - on a decorative hook in the kitchen (along with my keys)

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet -- I open mail over the trash can/recycling -- outer envelopes, filler, junk mail, catalogues etc., are immediately disposed of. Items that I need to deal with later (bills) are put in a mail basket in the kitchen. I pay all bills online, so I get a lot less mail now, which makes this MUCH easier.

5. Your dh's wallet - he keeps it on the bedside table

6. Library books - basket in the dining room

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately - in the corner of my bedroom. (I don't return many things.)

8. Outdoor toys - garage

9. Completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.) - "School" closet.

10.Game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc.) n/a

1. Camera-Top shelf of the bookshelf in the den

2. Video camera-n/a

2. Flashlights-there are flashlights in each bedroom and several in a decorative box in the kitchen......right next to the extra batteries

3. Purse- Fourth shelf of the bookshelf in the den

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet- Basket on the kitchen counter

5. Your dh's wallet- Shelf in our bedroom closet

6. Library books-Each bedroom has a basket for holding library books in addition to the two baskets on the hearth- one for books from the main library system, one for books from the secondary system. I am the only one allowed to put library books somewhere besides the designated library baskets, but since each bedroom has one the kids do a good job with this.

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately- In the car

8. Outdoor toys-We have a covered/enclosed back porch where the bikes, the huge tub of outdoor stuff, and the tote of sand toys live

9. Completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.)-If it is something the kids are insanely proud of they can store it in thier school project drawer. Workbook pages usually get shown to Dad and filed in the circular file.

10.Game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc.)- Our balance board slides under our entertainment console and all of the other games and accessories are stored in a deep basket that sits on the console shelf just under the tv.

1. Camera

2. Video camera

2. Flashlights

3. Purse

5. Your dh's wallet

6. Library books

8. Outdoor toys

I have two young toddlers who are very tall and can reach half the bookshelves and all the counters. I hear you on running out of good out of the way places!

My kitchen is gated off so the boys have limited access to it.

1. Kitchen counter

2. Kitchen counter

2. Kitchen cupboard

3. don't own one

4. Kitchen counter

5. Don't have a DH, lol. But we keep both our wallets in our pockets.

6. Don't get these - boys would destroy them and our library is...unimpressive. Once in awhile we get a few for DD, then they live in DD's room.

7. Front Porch

8. Outdoors, scattered about the yard

9. Don't have any yet

10. Don't have one.

This is part of the reason why my kitchen is so cluttered, I keep lots of stuff on the kitchen counters that really doesn't belong there largely because that keeps it out of the boys' reach most of the time. I also have an easel, some kiddy chairs, etc, in here so DD can paint undisturbed.

1. Camera On my desk...I use it A LOT, so it is out all the time.

2. Video camera Don't own one.

2. Flashlights Usually in cabinets/baskets throughout the house. I haven't really found good spots in this house yet.

3. Purse Hanging on a hook in the entryway

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet piled on my desk :glare:

5. Your dh's wallet In his pocket :lol:

6. Library books I use a big plastic milk crate that is sitting on top of ikea shelves.

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately In my car, with receipt, or I will forget.

8. Outdoor toys Large rubbermaid bin. (We don't have the big toys anymore though)

9. Completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.) Plastic bins with latching lids...one per child.

In the TV Cabinet

We moved here just a couple of months ago, so things are a little unorganized.

1. Camera

closet

2. Video camera

bedroom closet

2. Flashlights

Dh's bottom drawer

3. Purse

Doorknob in kitchen

basket on the buffet

5. Your dh's wallet

on his person

6. Library books

LL bean bag by the door

in the car

8. Outdoor toys

huge plastic bin in the garage

I keep what I think will be a good memento and chuck the rest

in the drawers of our entertainment shelves

1. Camera - Next to my computer

2. Video camera - Dh is the one who uses this, and keeps it in the spare bedroom

2. Flashlights - Various places throughout the house so there's always one handy

3. Purse - In the bedroom next to my side of the bed

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet - In a mail holder on the kitchen counter

5. Your dh's wallet - I'm not in charge of his wallet

6. Library books - In a basket in the living room that is the "library basket"

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately - Usually in the car so if I'm out and have a chance to return it, I have it with me. We rarely have something to return though.

8. Outdoor toys - When ds was younger, we had a big plastic (Rubbermaid type) bin for them and kept them on the porch. Now we keep pool stuff in a bin on the screen porch.

9. Completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.) - I keep very little. What I do keep is on a rolling cart where I keep homeschool books. Keep in mind I have an only, so it isn't really a big issue.

10.Game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc.) - We have a small shelf system near the tv that holds the Wii Fit equipment. Remotes are on the top shelf. We don't have Rock Band or anything else with large accessories.

Obligatory message outside the quote. ;)

1. Camera: We have a large basket of electronics that fits in a cabinet in my husband's office. All power cords, chargers, cameras, video cameras, ds games, Ipod touch, etc. go in the basket.

2. Video camera: See 1.

2. Flashlights: We have one in each bedside table in the master bedroom and one downstairs in the phone center.

3. Purse: Placed on the phone center.

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet: N/A. All mail is opened immediately. I shred addresses, toss junk mail, make a bills pile (paid immediately) and file the remaining documents.

5. Your dh's wallet: He has a small bowl on the foyer's table and an in-box in his office. It never ends up in either one.

6. Library books: Large bin in the living room.

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately: Stored in trunk of car so I don't forget. If I have several items, I pull out a large plastic bin, put it in the car, and place the return items in it to keep things corralled.

8. Outdoor toys: Two large bins in the garage. If it doesn't fit, it gets tossed.

9. Completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.): If it's important, it's three hole punched and put in a binder. For math workbooks, I store them on a bookshelf for home school supplies and toss it when I get the standardized test scores.

10.Game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc.): We have a shelving unit in a closet of the family room. Everything is stored on the shelves. If I felt the gaming accessories were too much, I'd cull. Controllers are stored in bins that go under the end tables.

Basically, I have lots of bins and baskets that I put stuff in. I'm always on the lookout for neat storage solutions.

1. Camera - I have a basket from The Dollar Tree that is specifically for my digital camera's, video camera's, & cables and batteries associated with each item. The basket is slid neatly on a shelf on our desk unit.

2. Video camera - See above answer.

2. Flashlights - Each bedroom in our home contains a flashlight, I also put the spare flashlights in a drawer that is in our desk along with the batteries, cellphone chargers, headphones, usb microphone, & spare computer mice.

3. Purse - This goes into my room besides my dresser in a skinny little spot against the wall.

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet - I have a sorter hanging up in my kitchen that holds - "TO BE MAILED", "NEED TO SORT/OPEN", "IMPORTANT - NEEDS ATTENTION". The sorter I have is actually a display rack that hangs on the wall that small decor plates were rested on, I've revamped it to use it for mail since the prongs hold the envelopes wonderfully.

5. Your dh's wallet - My dh has a SMALL basket sorter I got from The Dollar Tree on his dresser, this is where he puts his wallet, car keys, belt from that day, pocket change, and misc.

6. Library books - I have a plastic set of drawers in our office/computer room. I use the drawers to store all our "busy bags" for the time being and ds's "school" markers and crayons. The bottom drawer is labeled specifically "LIBRARY BOOKS". Everytime we are done reading or flipping through the books, they are to be put back into the drawer.

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately - I have misc box (it's actually a nice banker box with lid) that is always sitting happily in the WAY! It's where I put Goodwill donations, store returns, friend loans, ect. It's near the door but not in the way that we fall but enough in the way to be a reminder!

8. Outdoor toys - I have a plastic 2-drawer cart on wheels that sits on our deck. This is where my kids outside smaller buckets, shovels, play food, play dishes, balls, ect go. The larger toys are to be lined up neatly against the deck.

9. Completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.) - For the current year, I have a nice plastic set of TALL drawers that we store alot of that year's school curriculum TM and SB's in clearly labeled. The top drawer is labeled "COMPLETED WORK - NEEDS TO BE FILED". Most of the time if the work that's completed DOESN'T just stay in the WB or binder, they know it goes in the top drawer for me to grade, toss & or file in the "end of the year" binder.

10.Game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc.) - We have a small tupperware with lid that we store our PS3 Skylanders in, along with the portal. I store the games neatly next to our DVD's in the living room where the PS3 is. The extra controller and cords go neatly inside the tupperware with the Skylanders. The tupperware goes on a shelf in our Entertainment unit. I couldn't justify letting it just sit out in the living room withou tit having a "place". :LOL: Our Wii is in my dd's bedroom. We store the Wii fit board under the set of bunkbeds. They also have a small tupperware with lid where the games, extra controllers, nunchucks, and cords all get stored. The bin slides right next to the Wii fit board under the set of bunkbeds. When we had the guitars and such I had them stored in a FLAT tupperware with lid under our bed. As for drums, I personally have told DH no to these sorts of things no matter how much he wanted them because we simply have nowhere good to store them. I'm a HUGE organizational junkie and I like my home to look neat, tidy, and everything has a place...and a place that makes SENSE. :lol:

I replied in red. I hope it's of some help to you!

I never use to be this crazy about organizing. I did the big organize your home challenge back in January and my home is still VERY organized and it was well worth the entire month that it took to get it that way! I love it! My family was crazy because of it for awhile, but now they all like it this way too. DH use to think I was clearing up the house so we could look like we had alot of NOTHING. Now he LOVES it!! We went from having over 20 picture frames neatly displayed on the living room walls to having 3 LARGE portraits on the wall in the living room. We use to have throw blankets tossed on the sofa and chairs, now we have a crate style bin neatly tucked beside the sofa out of sight that all the throw blankets not being used go neatly folded inside. :p

Edited by mamaofblessings

1. Camera basket on the bar in the kitchen

2. Video camera n/a, take videos on my iphone

2. Flashlights kitchen cabinet above the oven, unless the kids have run off with them, then the playroom

3. Purse floats, but most often hanging on the door handle to the pantry. It's supposed to go in the mud room, but I always end up walking all the way in the house with it on my shoulder, then drop it in the kitchen on the pantry door.

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet floats on the bar

5. Your dh's wallet no idea where he keeps it--his responsibility

6. Library books basket on a book shelf in the living room

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately on top of the dryer. LOL

8. Outdoor toys usually in the yard :glare: but supposed to be on plastic shelves on the patio

9. Completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.) n/a, too young

10.Game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc.) n/a, don't have

note that I don't necessarily think these are GOOD places for all of those items, but it's where I would go to look for them, so I guess it's where they "go".

1. Camera

2. Video camera

2. Flashlights

3. Purse

5. Your dh's wallet

6. Library books

8. Outdoor toys

1. Computer cabinet

2. Don't own one

2b. One flashlight is on Dh's nightstand; all others are with the candles for blackouts in a cabinet above the dryer

3. Hook right inside garage door

4. Usually sitting on kitchen island :tongue_smilie:

5. On a shelf in our walk-in closet

6. Cloth basket/bin, which is behind a recliner in the living room

7. Shelf on the "back porch", which is a 3 step stair with a larger landing in garage to the back door

8. On shelving in garage (we no longer have large slides or playhouses, etc)

9. Toss in garbage

10. Games in drawers under the TV/accessories in a cabinet close to the TV

Edited by beckyjo
Didn't see there were 2 #2's.

1. Camera On the top of the bookcase in a camera bag.

2. Video camera It's tiny, so we keep it in the desk.

2. Flashlights "Hurricane box" in the garage.

3. Purse hook on the right wall inside my closet.

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet mail sorter rack on desk from Ikea.

5. Your dh's wallet basket on top of bookcase for his wallet, change, keys, etc.

6. Library books lost, always. :glare:

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately hall closet in a big plastic box.

8. Outdoor toys shed outside.

9. Completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.) ??

10.Game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc.) ??

1. Camera

2. Video camera

2. Flashlights

3. Purse

5. Your dh's wallet

6. Library books

8. Outdoor toys

1. on my desk

2. In ds's room

2. hall closet

3. my closet or in the classroom

4. dining room table for now (hate that)

5. dh is in charge of that - it varies

6. classroom

7. we don't buy stuff that has to be returned. I'm picky like that and I know I hate to return things

8. We have real lockers, not sure where they'll go in this house. We also have cubbies in the laundry/mud room

9. Classroom, at the end of the year I buy a plastic tub and put the stuff in the basement

10. Ds's room - he's the only one with game systems.

1. Camera: If it is not in my purse it is in the camera bag in the downstairs closet/

2. Video camera: Don't have one. Video is a feature on my camera.

2. Flashlights: Everywhere. Dh loves to have flashlights in all the rooms. Mind you, the batteries don't work in most of them but we have them in drawers or hanging on hooks in every room.

3. Purse: It moves around. Sometimes on the kitchen counter, sometimes on a dining room chair, sometimes in the downstairs bathroom.

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet. I have a box by the front door for mail.

5. Your dh's wallet: It is supposed to be on the tray in the bedroom. Could be anywhere, next to the tray, his car, yesterdays pants, the credenza, etc...

6. Library books: Chair in the corner of the dining room. Sometimes under the chair in the living room or the couch.

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately: In their bag in my bedroom or a dining room chair.

8. Outdoor toys : Garage

9. Completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.) File cabinet in the basement.

10.Game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc.) Balance board is under table in living room. Remotes are on the wall unit. We don't have any other accessories. If I did, they would probably be in a corner of the living room.

1. Camera - Either on top of my shorty bookshelf that acts as my "desk" or in my purse

2. Video camera - My camera is my video camera

2. Flashlights - In the junk drawer in the kitchen

3. Purse - Hangs on the doorknob of our coat closet

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet -Guess I'm just too curious of a person, I always open it all, but the stuff I need to address later goes into my "in-box" on my desk area

5. Your dh's wallet - Dh has a decorative box on his desk that he puts his wallet, phone, and anything else he carries with him during the day

6. Library books - We have a dedicated shelf on one of our bookshelves that is for just library books

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately - In the back of the car in a reusable grocery bag

8. Outdoor toys- In Rubbermaid bins in the garage

9. Completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.) - mostly the trash, but I do keep a small sampling in a 3 ring binder during the school year and then I rubber and it together at the end of the yer and store it with past years in a Rubbermaid bin I keep in the garage

10.Game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc.)- Under the couch if it is thin enough, but the guitars are just standing up next to the tv stand

1. Camera We have a dresser drawer for it.

2. Video camera don't have one

2. Flashlights one in each car. Big one in the garage. Dh has a small drawer in his dresser where he keeps multiple small ones for when the lights go out or to take camping.

3. Purse Inside my bedroom

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet I have a bill basket for bills and mail for dh goes in there, since I know he will check it regularly. I throw away junk mail as soon as I get it.

5. Your dh's wallet He has a bowl he puts his keys and wallet and change in each day.

6. Library books We keep an old milk crate in the dining room( our school room)

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately If it is not something that will be harmed by heat, I will keep it right in my car. That way it is right there if I am near the store while out.

8. Outdoor toys We had a giant plastic trash can (new and clean) that we kept near the back door that the girls could keep all of that stuff in when they were little. It was easy for them to look in and find what they wanted. Now we keep that outside in the shed because they are old enough to go out and open the shed themselves. We keep the hula hoops and jump ropes inside on hooks by the back door, since they don't take up much room. And the chalk is in a plastic container outside near the door at all times, under the porch roof, so it doesn't get wet. Bubbles too.

9. Completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.) I do not have a good system yet for year's past stuff that I want to keep. But this year's stuff is all 3 hole punched and put in the current year's 3 ring binders and kept on the school shelf... a bookshelf right in our dining room/school room.

10.Game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc.) We are not into this stuff.__________________

1. Camera

on top of the bookcase in my bedroom

2. Video camera

under the bed on dh's side- he uses it ;)

2. Flashlights- in the junk drawer in the kitchen and/or the hall closet basket

3. Purse- in my closet

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet-my desk, the kitchen counter

5. Your dh's wallet- I never have that! :D

6. Library books- where we read them. Dd usually reminds me when they need to go back. Once in a while, they're on the bench in the entry to go.

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately- Rarely return things to stores, but always have things to return to others on the bench or bookcase in the entry.

8. Outdoor toys- in the garage or in a big tote by the sandbox

9. Completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.)- If I've kept it, in entry cabinets

10.Game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc.)- Moved all this downstairs by the kids TV so I dont' have to see it. :lol: There's are shelves under the TV.

1. Camera: I have a shelf in the kitchen with pegs underneath. Camera gets hung on the pegs

2. Video camera: Don't really use it, so I can't remember where I stashed it.

2. Flashlights: On my dresser

3. Purse: Hagning on the same pegs in the kitchen

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet: Stacked on top of the shelfin the kitchen

5. Your dh's wallet:Dresser in the bedroom

6. Library books: In a basket underneat the coffee table

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately: hangiing in the bag on a doorknob

8. Outdoor toys: Under the deck outside

9. Completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.): ugh...everywhere

10.Game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc.)In a bin next to the TV

there you go.

1. Camera_On top of the filing cabinet in our office

2. Video camera Lives with the camea

2. FlashlightsBoys' bedroooms (kinda a pain when you need one :)

3. Purse Our office is a pass-through room to the garage. My purse hangs on the door.

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet All mail is dealt with immediately. Bills sit by the computer

5. Your dh's walletDh's wallet, work keys, ipod, sunglasses, etc. go in a wire basket by the phone in the kitchen

6. Library booksDedicated shelf in our living room

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately Basket by the door to the garage, also contains items to give to friends, etc.

8. Outdoor toys garage

9. Completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.) garage

10.Game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc.) rock band drums live in my oldest ds's closet. He has the room. Other accessories are tucked under couches.

We have a small house so I utilitize every inch. I love command hooks for easy organization. I recently put a bunch up in ds9's room for his nerf guns. Now it's a full-blown arsenal.

Camera - In a wicker basket on top of one of the bookcases. (There are several such baskets which hold things like candles, games and puzzles.)

We don't have a video camera.

Flashlights - In a box in the understairs cupboard.

Purse - On the stairs by the front door.

Mail - In the tray on the computer desk.

Dh's wallet - His problem!! I have no idea, most of the time.

Library books - In a basket on the floor in the sitting room, between two chairs.

Items to be returned to stores - Don't often have many of those.. but if I do they go in a bag in the trunk of the car, with the receipt in the bag. I have a box in the trunk, for things that need to be going somewhere.

Outdoor toys - In the garage. ALL of them!!! :lol:

Completed homeschool stuff - In a box in the loft (attic).

Game system accessories - Apart from the PC and dh's laptop, we don't have any games like that. In our minute house, I really don't know where we'd put them if we did!

1. Camera

dh's desk in living room

2. Video camera

none

2. Flashlights

bookshelf by door (along with dog walking stuff) with a spotlight under our bed

3. Purse

hung on my coat-hook

mail sorter on kitchen counter

5. Your dh's wallet

special basket on kitchen counter where he dumps his pockets

6. Library books

basket in corner of living room

van trunk or wall by front door

8. Outdoor toys

depends on the kind, we have bins in the garage for sidewalk & sport stuff and a bench/storage thing with nerf in the back

milk crate in the basement

our couch has storage underneath

1. Camera

2. Video camera

Back in the day, they were on the top shelf in my bedroom closet.

3. Flashlights

In the linen closet

3. Purse

Hanging on my bedroom doorknob.

I open it as soon as I take it out of the mailbox on my way back into the house. I toss every extra bit of paper; put bills with the envelopes that they'll be mailed in, and put them in the bill-paying notebook (see "File--Don't Pile!" by Pat Dorff. It totally revolutionized my paper handling.)

5. Your dh's wallet

In his pocket? :D He used to put it on the headboard of our bed, then in a nightstand (when we moved and had different bedroom furniture). Now I have a small table downstairs in the room we use as an office, and he puts his wallet in the drawer in the table.

6. Library books

In a basket right by the front door. A cute basket, that I lined with cute fabric. I was so proud of myself. :D

::scratches head:: You got me on that.

8. Outdoor toys

That, too. We must not have had many outdoor toys, lol.

Completed? As in the children won't be using them ever again? Mostly they were tossed.

I don't have any of those, but if I did, I would have some sort of storage that looked decent--not necessarily expensive, you know, but so that the children (and other adults, lol) could put things away easily. I cannot bear to have flotsam and jetsam lying around randomly.

1. Camera

In the camera bag that hangs in my closet.

2. Video camera

Same as #1

2. Flashlights

Top drawer in the nightstand on dh's side of the bed, top drawer beside the bed in boy's room in the basement, top drawer in a sofa table-like piece of furniture on the landing upstairs between the girls' rooms, and in an umbrella stand beside the back door.

3. Purse

Hanging on the doorknob of my bedroom

In a basket on the kitchen counter

5. Your dh's wallet

In his pocket or on his nightstand

6. Library books

Right now in a stack on the school table. I need to come up with a better idea here.

In the car.

8. Outdoor toys

Ours are for older kids (not riding toys, etc.), and we have a taller cloth box beside the back door that bows and arrows, baseball bats, etc. are in. We also have a shelving unit under our deck for other things.

The things I choose to keep are in storage boxes, and I keep way too much.

10.Game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc.)Right now these are behind the door in my bedroom. Not ideal, but I'm not sure I have a better place.

Next week I start my de-cluttering/spring cleaning, and I'm sure I'll come up with more things that need a home (or need to get tossed).

Edited by MamaT

1. Camera - In an upper kitchen cabinet

2. Video camera - In an upper kitchen cabinet

2. Flashlights - nightstand drawer in master bedroom

3. Purse - hanging on hook in mudroom

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet - in large, stone bowl on kitchen island

5. Your dh's wallet - in a basket on either his nightstand or chest of drawers

6. Library books - on the ottoman in the living room

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately - on the bench in mudroom

8. Outdoor toys - we bought a very large, plastic storage or toy box looking thing to hold them all and it sits on the patio or inside the screened-in porch.

9. Completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.) - on shelves in our small home library. When we run out of space, will probably box them and put them in the attic.

- don't have them - if we did, I would probably get a large basket for the living/game room and put them there.

1. Camera- in a basket, in my closet

2. Video camera- on top of the lr bookcase

2. Flashlights- with dh's tools

3. Purse- hook by front door. (gotta have a place for it near the entryway so that it doesn't get lost!)

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet- do not check the mail unless you havr time to open it. All junk mail directly to trash. All personal junk directly to the shredder. Bills (that aren't paid online, like co-pays) and things that must be saved go in a basket or tray on dh's desk until thoey are dealt with.

5. Your dh's wallet- he takes care of this. Keeps it on his dresser

6. Library books- basket on bookcase

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately- trunk, then we have them when we're out

8. Outdoor toys- shed

9. Completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.)- tests I files, wbs I trash

10.Game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc.)- in a crate behind the tV

1. Camera - In a drawer in the kitchen next to the vitamins.

2. Video camera - We don't own one. Our regular camera or phones take any videos we want.

2. Flashlights - Hall closet, bottom shelf (easy to grab if there is a power outage)

3. Purse - I only have a backpack I use everyday. It goes behind the chair in the living room.

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet - I open everything right away. Then just make a quick pile: keep or recycle. Recycle goes right into the bin. I read the kept mail the same night.

5. Your dh's wallet - His back pocket or our dresser.

6. Library books - We have one bookshelf cleared that all library books stay on.

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately - Either loaded into the trunk (if it was big) or on the counter by the front door under the key rack.

8. Outdoor toys - We have bikes and a wagon. These stay in our apartment's bike storage locker. Otherwise, we'd put them in the garage. We don't have any bigger outdoor toys.

9. Completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.) - Kept in binders in the closet on one shelf. If it can't fit in 1 binders per school year (per kid), I reduce what I am keeping to get down to that.

10.Game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc.) - We don't have these anymore, but when we did, we had a shelf for them in the closet.

Edited by ezrabean2005

1. Camera - On top of the fridge.

2. Video camera - Don't have one anymore.

2. Flashlights - In a cupboard in the kitchen. A small one in each car.

3. Purse - Hanging on the back of a kitchen chair or on the end of my bed.

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet - In a tray on the kitchen counter next to the phone.

5. Your dh's wallet - Pocket or on top of his bureau.

6. Library books - Stacked on a table in the school room if we're not using them.

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately - The trunk of my car.

8. Outdoor toys - All over the yard. Expensive toys are in the basement.

9. Completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.) - Bottom shelf in the school room. We don't have a whole lot yet though.

10.Game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc.) - We only have the guitar hero guitar and normal controllers. They're kept in a cupboard in the entertainment centre.

1. Camera- on the kitchen counter or my nightstand.

2. Video camera- we don't own one- my camera and phone take video.

3. Flashlights- 1 under the kitchen sink, 1 in the basement and 2 in our bedroom.

4. Purse- on the office desk

5. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet- in a basket on the office desk

6. Your dh's wallet- on top of his dresser

7. Library books- a few places- a book basket in the boys' room, a book

basket in my room and school-related books go on a shelf in our school area designated for library books.

8. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately- in a box in our van. Otherwise I never seem to remember to actually take them with me.

9. Outdoor toys- in the garage

10. Completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.)- For right now in a rubbermaid tote in the basement.

11.Game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc.)- We don't have anything really large, but everything we have fits in the entertainment center.

High on a shelf in a labeled basket or in a plastic tub.

Completed school work for the current year goes in a hanging file folder box by kid/subject. Completed work at the end of the year - selections from the file box demonstrating progress over the year and digital images of large projects - goes into a large 3 ring binder and becomes the portfolio for the year.

Also, as another poster mentioned, I like hooks on the wall in strategic places to hang stuff up.

1. Camera

It travels between the end table in the living room, atop a shelving unit in the living room, and in it's bag in the school room. I hate putting it away because I'm constantly using it.

2. Video camera

In DD's room because it is hers now.

2. Flashlights

In random places throughout the house because the littles think they are toys. :glare:

3. Purse

On top of a little bathroom cabinet in the kitchen.

In the drawer of a little bathroom cabinet in the kitchen.

5. Your dh's wallet

On a sofa table being used as an end table which is clutter with DH's stuff. The arm of the couch and sofa table are kind of a work space from him.

6. Library books

In a large basket that sits atop some plastic drawers in the entry way.

Usually in random places until it is too late to return them.

8. Outdoor toys

In the garage where the kids can access them. We don't have a lot.

The kids' school work stay in their binders or the curricula bookshelf until the end of the year. During the summer, I go through them and pull out a few samples and toss the rest.

The Wii controllers are suppose to be in their charger in the TV console. The balance board is in the TV console. Everything else is in a small entertainment center turned shelving unit. The games are on a shelf. The various little pieces and controllers are in a basket. The DDR mats are folded in a section with doors.

1. Camera - on top of fridge

2. Video camera - N/A

2. Flashlights - drawer in kitchen and garage

3. Purse - my room

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet - kitchen counter

5. Your dh's wallet - kitchen counter

6. Library books - kids rooms, bookshelf

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately - my room

8. Outdoor toys - garage

9. Completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.) - basement in bin

10.Game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc.) - living room basket

1. Camera-all our electronics are in a big cupboard which houses our TV/DVD player, etc.)

2. Video camera-see above

2. Flashlights-numerous locations; one in a laundry room, one by our bed, one in our kitchen

3. Purse-hangs on a hook in a doorway between kitchen & family room

4. Incoming mail that you don't have time to open just yet-counter

5. Your dh's wallet-his back pocket

6. Library books-if reading, in our respective rooms; if done, on a hutch in our kitchen

7. Items that need to be returned to stores but you can't get around to immediately-see kitchen hutch above

8. Outdoor toys-kids playhouse or pool shed--mostly out on the lawn though :)

9. Completed homeschool stuff (workbooks, etc.)-attic

10.Game system accessories (dance mat, wii balance board, rock band drums, etc.)-n/a

Answers above