Menu

Siblings appearances

Do your children look like siblings? I mean, can people tell they are related? I feel like my son and daughter (not my oldest dd from a previous marriage) look very different. I've been told my son looks like me, though I'm not sure I see it. But I know my dd takes after my MIL. Even their baby pictures were nearly identical, down to the shape of the eyes, nose and mouth! Boy I'm glad I love my MIL! :tongue_smilie:

My sister is 6 yrs older than me and we definitely looked similar when we were children. I don't know why, but I've been thinking of her a great deal every time I look in the mirror. I see her face looking back at me. It's kind of strange.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that my kids are both teenagers I think they definitely look like siblings.

My older brother and I, even as adults, look like siblings. I think its crazy. We could be in a room with 100 people and people will ask me if I am his sister. I am always amazed that people can tell. Its definitely not because we have similar personalities!

None of my kids look like me - they all look like DH :glare:

People comment that my two boys look very similar or are copies of each other. My DD looks a lot different to my boys although she still looks like her dad more then she does me. You couldn't guess her siblings by looks but you could by mannerisms KWIM.

My girls are adopted, and a different race. :001_smile: My oldest son, though, looks nothing like my other 3. My youngest 3 are all thin, dark hair, dark eyes. You can definitely tell they are siblings. My oldest is stocky, dark blonde, and has very blue eyes.

There were three of us girls in my family, and I used to think we looked nothing alike. We all have different hair and eye color. The older I get, though, the more I see my oldest sister when I look in the mirror.

3 of the 4 of us have red hair and freckles. We definitely look like siblings and can never hide it. My kids looked more like siblings from birth through elementary, but now that I have a teen and a tween, the boy is turning into my husband and the girl looks like me, except she has Dh's skin and hair.

Everyone can tell my 2 boys are brothers. They are 5 years apart, but spitting images of one another.

My 2 girls are another story. The older one resembles her brothers. The younger one has a look all her own. In fact when we moved into our new neighborhood one neighbor wondered if she was adopted! I don't think she looks that different, but she does definately have a look all her own.

I think my kids look like siblings. However, my brother and I haven't looked like sibs since we were both under 10! We apparently take after difference branches of the family.

When I saw the first ultrasound of my dd (facial profile), I thought she looked just like her brother. Weird, but true.

Sandra

My husband and his two brothers are VERY different. Hubby is red head, 6 ft. tall and very thin. Middle brother is blonde, on the shorter side and chubby. Youngest brother is brunette and average height and build. Their facial features do not resemble each other in the slightest. Even when you see them together, you would not think they are even related. They each took after a different side of the family.

My three children, however, look very much alike. My two girls could be twins except they are four years apart. They have similar facial features, are thin like my hubby and all blond like me.

My oldest two look very much alike. The rest favor each other with a couple having more likeness than the others.

One in particular, my fourteen year old daughter, looks a lot more different than the others. She has darker skin, hair, and eyes. I'm Native American, and my Dh is Swedish. She takes after my side of the family more than the rest.

3 of the 4 of us have red hair and freckles. We definitely look like siblings and can never hide it.

This is exactly the same configuration in my family. The baby of the family has dark hair. Funny though, all four of us have different eye color though.

My boys look identical. So much so, that people often ask them if they're twins.

This is exactly the same configuration in my family. The baby of the family has dark hair. Funny though, all four of us have different eye color though.

My boys look identical. So much so, that people often ask them if they're twins.

My brother and I have been asked if we're twins our whole lives. We're 15 months apart. The 'oddball' brother is blonde, but his beard grows in red. Also, the boys have these amazing blue eyes, but the girls have that bluish-greenish-don't know what color my eyes are-thing going. I usually just make the DMV guy pick.

My older two don't look a lot alike; she looks a lot like me, and DS1 looks more like my DH's side of the family (a LOT like my FIL, actually). If I didn't know, I might not guess that they are siblings, but if you know DH and me, you can see that they both have ways in which mine and DH's genes are visible. My third child is a mix of both big kids (I don't think he and DS1 look alike much at all as infants, but DS2's infant pictures look a lot like DD's, though as DS2 leaves babyhood, he looks more like his big brother). The baby seems to vary -- sometimes he looks a lot like DS2's baby pictures, and sometimes I see DS1's face in him more. When you see the older two with either or both of the little boys, you can tell that they're all siblings.

My family is similar; my two brothers don't really look much alike, but with me in there, you can tell that we're all siblings, as they both look like me (as does my sister).

When my ds takes his sisters places, he has been mistaken for their dad so I guess that means they do look alike. My brother and sister look a lot alike, but I don't look like either of them. They are both significantly taller than I am and have very blue eyes to my hazel plus different facial features.

Oh, yes. My dds definitely look like sisters. :-)

There were two sets of identical twin girls from the same family in my little one-room school. It was a few weeks before I knew which twin was which in each set...but the younger twin set and the older twin set did not look like they were from the same family. :001_huh:

I keep getting asked if my younger two are twins by a Moms with Twins group I see at the playground. They are both blonde haired but ds has blue eyes and dd has hazel. DD is only a few inches shorter than ds. They are 23 months apart.

If you look at them closer - ds takes after his father and dd looks like my mother.

DS7 was a carbon copy of DH when he was born - looking at pictures shortly after DS was born, I actually asked who took DS's picture (I hadn't seen many baby pics of DH before that)....within six months he'd morphed into looking like me, with features of DH.

When Baby DS was born in January, MIL actually had the audacity to ask me where he came from? Ummm, really? Anyway, by six months he'd morphed from Mr. Magoo to a carbon copy of what DH looked like as a baby from six months on, with just some hint of me in him.

When they're together, no they don't look much alike....but when they're apart or you see them in pictures, the shared features are obvious they're brothers.

Of the five in my family of origin, none of us could be matched up with any other as siblings. Two of us share fair skin, med brown wavy hair and hazel eyes, 2 others have med skin, dark brown hair and brown eyes, and the fifth has fair skin, dark blond hair and blue eyes, but facial features are all different.

Of my 2 dc, one is extremely fair, has dark brown hair, hazel eyes, narrow forhead with full cheeks, and is chubby. The other is darker complected, has dark blond hair, blue eyes, a long thin face and a slim build. They couldn't be more different.

Child number 1's baby pictures look exactly like his father's baby pictures.

Child number 2's baby pictures look just like mine, but people all say she looks just like her father now.

Child number 3's toddler pictures and child number 1's toddler pictures are indistinguishable (even to me), but people always say child number 3 looks just like child number 2.

Child number 4 looks a LOT like child number 1. And her dad. She's like his mini-me.

They all look like dh, really, though each child favors him in a different way.

Sometimes I think it's unfair that they came out of me, but don't look a thing like me! How does that happen?!

It's really funny when people who haven't met my dh will tell me, dramatically, how one of them (it's always a different one) looks "just like" me... then later, when they see dh, they say "Oh, they look like him. I see it now." And dh and I look *nothing* alike. People are so funny!

My sons look just alike! In fact, when I show the 6yo pictures of his older brother at the same age, he's convinced it's himself.:)

My dd resembles them but has lighter hair and blue eyes.

People often tell me that my middle sister and I look alike. But, we have no blood relation. We have different moms and my dad adopted he married her mom. She's most definitely my sister and has been since she was 6 months old but we do not look a thing alike.;)

ETA: I found a couple of photos. The first one is my older son and dd when they were little and then the two of them when he graduated. The second picture is my little guy with the same dd.;)

post-2685-13535085926788_thumb.jpg

post-2685-13535085926974_thumb.jpg

Edited by CAMom

My kids look like siblings, some look very alike. the olders have all been mistaken for dudelings parent by a stranger at least once.

My db and I look a lot alike, but my sister looks related.

itoh: dh and his brother didn't look related AT ALL. dh is very fair (eyes/skin-tone/hair), his brother very dark (eyes/skin-tone/hair). their body types are also fairly different. when they were children, people would often ask who that kid was that hung out with dh. their sisters are in between.

when they were children, people would often ask who that kid was that hung out with dh.

This reminds me of something funny that happened at a play date a few years back...

My two oldest both look like their father, but the oldest has skin that tans in the summer (sort of a Mediterranean olive maybe?) and his sister is a fair and freckly redhead.

We were at a group play date when a mom I didn't know started a casual conversation with me. She asked which kids were mine. When I pointed them out she asked me if they were "the same race." :lol: You should have seen my face: :confused: In her defense, it *was* summer and oldest was very tan. Still. I was surprised by the question. It had *never* occurred to me that they looked as different as all that.

Edited by zaichiki

My sons look just alike! In fact, when I show the 6yo pictures of his older brother at the same age, he's convinced it's himself.:)

My dd resembles them but has lighter hair and blue eyes.

People often tell me that my middle sister and I look alike. But, we have no blood relation. We have different moms and my dad adopted he married her mom. She's most definitely my sister and has been since she was 6 months old but we do not look a thing alike.;)

ETA: I found a couple of photos. The first one is my older son and dd when they were little and then the two of them when he graduated. The second picture is my little guy with the same dd.;)

WOW! They do look alike!

Most of mine look nothing alike. I joke that I keep having children so the variations make them all look more related.

Like, "These 3 have the same eyes, these two the same ears, these 4 and those 3 the same hair. This one still needs a sibling with similar lips, this one a sibling with a similar nose....hopefully this next guy will be a match for those...";)

Nope. Get comments on it pretty regularly. My oldest and youngest daughters looked the most alike as babies, but still have completely different shaped faces and eyes.

I have 3 with brown hair (all different shades... one is mousey brown, one dark brown with blond streak, and one with dark brown and auburn highlights. The oldest brownie has UBER thick, fine hair. Middle brownie has soft, silky hair. Baby brownie has fine, soft, and not much hair).

I have 2 with blond hair & blue eyes (oldest blondie has uber thick, uber coarse/wirey hair, younger blondie has wavy, fine, soft hair).

Facial features between all of them are quite different. Builds are different. Not one is like the other. None of them look like me, either. Oldest looks a bit like dh. Oldest dd looks more like my mother. Younger ds looks like dh's brother. Middle dd looks a bit like her oldest cousin on dh's side. Baby? Your guess is as good as mine at this point. She looks the most like me of any of them... but one would never confuse our photos at any stage (I was blond at that age, and my face was a completely different shape...more rectangular, and her's is round).

Shaun's work colleagues have mentioned it. Our families have mentioned it. And one enemy (not even frienemy) asked me in public if they were *all* dh's. :glare:

My dh is the oddball in his family. 5 kids and he looks like his mom, shorter with dark hair. His brothers are all taller, 6ft or better and with blond hair, his sisters are short, petite with blond hair.

I don't look like my sister, she resembles my mom, I look more like my dad.

I don't think you would know my twin boys are brothers by look. One takes after my side of the family--he looks very much like my sister--and has blond hair, blue eyes, a slight build, my sister's facial features, etc. His twin is a spitting image of his daddy. He has brown hair, brown eyes, more substantial build, face of his dad (pretty much exactly), etc. In fact, if you look at a picture of my husband around my son's age you can't tell the difference. It's interesting.

My sister and her husband have four kids who look very much alike. None of them look much like either parent! It's interesting too!

My older dd looks just like my sil, only with my nose. My younger dd looks a bit more like me, only with different coloring. They do look like sisters. Their temperaments are very different.

My brother & I don't look that much alike, but our personalities are quite similar.

This reminds me of something funny that happened at a play date a few years back...

My two oldest both look like their father, but the oldest has skin that tans in the summer (sort of a Mediterranean olive maybe?) and his sister is a fair and freckly redhead.

We were at a group play date when a mom I didn't know started a casual conversation with me. She asked which kids were mine. When I pointed them out she asked me if they were "the same race." :lol: You should have seen my face: :confused: In her defense, it *was* summer and oldest was very tan. Still. I was surprised by the question. It had *never* occurred to me that they looked as different as all that.

I don't know whether to laugh or be in awe of her audacity. I have 5 children and some are adopted and we look like the rainbow coalition when we go out, but my almost oldest son has my favorite response. He is gorgeous (and I can say that because he doesn't look like me) and women are very interested, yet he gets asked all the time what race he is since he could probably fit in with many. He always responds "Human".

post-15731-13535085928453_thumb.jpg

post-15731-13535085928453_thumb.jpg

I think mine definitely look like siblings. I am 5ft2in petite build, dark brown curly hair, dark blue eyes. DH is 6ft blonde hair bright blue eyes. Oldest ds (10) looks like dh but hair is slightly darker then dh had as boy but still blonde thick wavy. His eyes are a blue green (my sis has green eyes both my parents have blue) , he is on the short side but all the men on mine and dh side except dh are short. Dd (7) is tall and thin like dh. Has thick dark blonde curly hair and bright blue eyes. Youngest ds (4) is also small with thick curly light brown hair and dark blue almost indigo eyes . They all have features that favor each other and are a good mix of dh and I. Thank god they all got dhs skin that tans beautifully and not my pale irish skin. It's funny how some familys are. Dh has one brother who has black hair, brown eyes and is maybe 5ft6 in but their facial features are almost the exact same, if you can get past the coloring difference lol.

My husband is Hispanic and I am fair skinned with green eyes and reddish hair and freckles.

Of our four boys, only our third son looks Hispanic. In fact, he is my husband's mini-me. He has got the darkest brown eyes I've ever seen, much darker than my husband's eyes. His skin is tan and his hair is brown and curly just like his father.

Our oldest son is the best mix of the two of us. He has lighter skin, but tans easily and lighter brown hair and green eyes. But his facial features and curly hair are a lot like my husband's.

Our second and fourth sons are both white as the driven snow with light brown, straight hair and blueish/green eyes. They look a lot like my family.

So two of our boys look like they are unrelated to DH and one looks like he is unrelated to me. They all resemble each other in some ways, so people usually do think they are brothers. But certain ones together do not look like siblings at all. I am always intrigued by how genetics plays out.

I've been told my boys look alike,

and that they favor their dad.

The funny thing is they are both adopted.

I didn't feel like I looked like anyone growing up. My brother and I look very different.

But a few years back we were at my parents house for the holidays, and my mom had a picture out of her at about 5 and I found one of me. We really look like each other in those pics.

Okay hopefully the pics will upload.

my mom , and then me

and my boys. They are 5 years apart the one of them older is probably from about 5 years ago. The youngest is now taller than the oldest

post-12366-13535085928657_thumb.jpg

post-12366-13535085929114_thumb.jpg

post-12366-13535085929669_thumb.jpg

post-12366-13535085930068_thumb.jpg

Nope. People ask me all the time if they are sisters. They are complete opposites. One is light, the other is dark. One is serious, the other a goof ball. One is athletic, the other artsy. :D

My older took after her dad's family and my younger took after mine. My younger actually looks like my youngest brother when he was a kid. She looks like she could be his!:001_huh::tongue_smilie::lol: