Menu

If stockings are out, what do you wear with skirts in snowy winters???

"Stockings" seems like such a fuddy-duddy word to me b/c my 70yo FIL uses that word for socks. :D

Anyway, I live in the land of snow and biting prairie wind. What would a mom of 5 in her late 30s wear underneath skirts in this winter? What would she wear for shoes/boots with said skirt that would keep her feet relatively warm but, most importantly, underneath her? I just hate slipping on ice and snow.

Wool tights. And, anyone who says tights are out obviously don't live where there is real winter, so their opinion doesn't count. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: Also legging work well. I do that in the damp, chilly Pacific Northwest during the winter.

"Stockings" seems like such a fuddy-duddy word to me b/c my 70yo FIL uses that word for socks. :D

Anyway, I live in the land of snow and biting prairie wind. What would a mom of 5 in her late 30s wear underneath skirts in this winter? What would she wear for shoes/boots with said skirt that would keep her feet relatively warm but, most importantly, underneath her? I just hate slipping on ice and snow.

dd wore wool tights when she was in south america. (she was in southern chile - not much snow, but not much central heating either. ice would form on the inside of windows.) I ordered them from mytights.com I'd also suggest a pair of good quality long underwear under the tights. (stay away from cotton and/or polypropelene. silk, wool, or similar to REI's MTS breathable long underwwear are good.)

for traction on ice - yak trax. they slip on right over your boot. you will not slip on ice.

if you are talking serious cold - I wouldn't do any other boot but steger mukluks - they are worth the price. (the biggest difference in the boots is the style -warmth is basically the same) extremely durable (as in years of heavy winter use) and warm. because of their design, they also provide better traction becasue they have a soft sole so your foot can grip the ground. That also keeps circulation moving to help you stay warm. they outfit iditarod drivers and antarctic expeditions with a wider boot that has more layers of insulation. I bought some for the girls when they attended university in upstate NY.

edit: I just want to say - when dressing for cold, fiber MATTERS. choose wisely. cotton absorbs 4X's its weight in water - including perspriation - and takes forever to dry while cooling you down. Wool is warm even when it is wet.

Edited by gardenmom5

WHY would she wear skirts in the snowy winter?

Because she can fit way more layers under them, and thus be warmer.

Plus, it's a cute look.

Tights, leggings, leg warmers, wool or fleece socks. I even saw a sort of fleece-lined tights a few years back; alas they were on clearance and very much not my size.

Wool tights. And, anyone who says tights are out obviously don't live where there is real winter, so their opinion doesn't count. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: I wear tights with boots all winter. I have them in several different colors and patterns--and they're really comfortable. (Unlike pantyhose, which I despise.)

On really cold days, I'll wear leggings and wool socks. The leggings are on the thin/tight side, so with my boots on, they still sort of look like tights.

I live in cold and snowy Chicago and wear skirts a lot in the winter. I have a bunch of heavy tights. I also have knee high boots. If I am brave and don't want to wear tights, I wear heavy socks under the boots, but usually it's too cold for that. I do that more often in the fall and spring.

If you're going to wear tights and boots, you may as well wear tights, leggings, and boots and stay warm. Or just wear flannel pjs all winter and hibernate. I'm starting a petition to bring about human hibernation. I fear the cold.

:lol::lol::lol:

I'll sign your petition! (there's a reason I live in the south)

:iagree::iagree:

My warmest outfit for winter is a long wool riding skirt that I wear JcPenny CuddleDuds long underwear underneath and then argyle socks or wool socks. I am actually warmer in that outfit than jeans with the CuddleDuds and dh says it has to do with the transfer of cold. If the outfit is clingy, cold transfers from the surface more readily.

For church, I have three different wool skirts, all long and fairly a-line in cut, that I wear wool tights or cotton/rayon leggings with and I'm very warm.

I have four wool sweaters in bright colors or argyle from Old Navy. They are a VERY soft quality wool, not picky and I don't need to wear a long sleeve shirt underneath. Just a pretty camisole or sleeveless shirt - hate turtlenecks.

If you aren't allergic to wool, wool and wool blends are your friend for nasty winter weather.

Faith

:iagree: I wear tights with boots all winter. I have them in several different colors and patterns--and they're really comfortable. (Unlike pantyhose, which I despise.)

This is me, too. I don't often where skirts in winter, but when I do, I have a nice assortment of wool tights to wear with them!

Heavy tights? With more dressy-looking, yet still very warm, snowboots?

When I worked in downtown Chicago and took the "L" into work from north of the city*, winter mornings I wore thick leggings or sweat pants under my skirt/dress, and wool socks. I carried my dress shoes in a bag and changed in the restroom at work. I was not alone in doing this, either!

* Art Institute of Chicago - on the lake side of Michigan Ave - so it was a cold walk from the "L". Can you say "lake effect"?

Edited by JFSinIL

If you're going to wear tights and boots, you may as well wear tights, leggings, and boots and stay warm. Or just wear flannel pjs all winter and hibernate. I'm starting a petition to bring about human hibernation. I fear the cold.

There are two in my house that will sign your petition. :D

I'm an adjunct instructor and all the women in my department wear hose if they're wearing skirts. And most (2/3) wear skirts all the time.

If I'm wearing a long skirt, I wear knee highs. But a couple of the skirts I've purchased recently are knee-length. You just reminded me that I need to buy a new pair of hose since the last run.

Maybe it's regional as well as age-related. And profession-influenced, as well. Hosiery is mentioned in the handout to students who are doing internships -- not as a requirement, but as a consideration for polishing your look.

I do have some tights for winter . . .

I read that Princess Kate is bringing back sheer hose (pantyhose.) She is required to wear them to official functions and anytime she is on tour representing the royal family as a part of the official "dress code." While she was here in the US there were several comments about her pretty, barely there hose that were nude with a hint of sparkle.

I am not sure how I feel about this. I despise pantyhose, but I have fish-belly white legs so I should wear them. Not to mention, I have always been of the opinion that sparkly tights/ hose belong on the 10 and under set unless you are ice skating.

Amber in SJ

I wear my skirts a bit longer, but I wear thinsulate thermals under them! lol. they come in beautiful colors and I guess if I had shorter skirts, they would be okay...

they are thin and very warm...I try and get a few different colors each year...come in a pretty set with a long sleeve top to match

Having the same problem with my daughter. She is autistic (HFA) and refuses to wear pantyhose. She wants to wear socks. I told her no. She said the panty hose aggravates her. I even bought a bigger size for her so it can be a bit loose.

Reading this with great interest. Thanks for OP for bringing this up.

Holly

I read that Princess Kate is bringing back sheer hose (pantyhose.) She is required to wear them to official functions and anytime she is on tour representing the royal family as a part of the official "dress code." While she was here in the US there were several comments about her pretty, barely there hose that were nude with a hint of sparkle.

Amber in SJ

That is what I've been hearing, too, and I'm glad! I was hating the "no hose" look. Why are women expected to have perfect-looking legs? I'm over 40 and my legs NEED to be covered up at this point. :glare:

Warm tights and cute winter boots like these or these. Depending on the skirt, the weather and the boots, I might also wear a pair of thick black leggings. When it gets really cold, even the tights can be a little chilly.

I live in the PNW and it's not uncommon to see women wearing knee-length skirts with cute rain boots.

Cat

costco just got in some ADORABLE rain boots. and they fit!

:iagree:I've been saying for years that I think we should hibernate in the winter. I'll be the first to sign your petition.

I am not sure how I feel about this. I despise pantyhose, but I have fish-belly white legs so I should wear them. Not to mention, I have always been of the opinion that sparkly tights/ hose belong on the 10 and under set unless you are ice skating.

Amber in SJ

Amber beat me to it. I was going to report that Princess Kate is bringing pantyhose back.

Edited by Missouri Okie
bad grammar

Sheer pantyhose/stockings are out, but opaque or patterned tights are still worn during the winter.

:iagree:

Leggings, tights, funkier hosiery, etc. are still seen, but I think the plain old pantyhose are considered fairly "out" right now (not that I think it matters, just sharing what I've witnessed).

How long have sheer pantyhose been out? I totally missed that announcement! :huh:

I know they were still in style back when I was pregnant with my oldest in 2002 because I had to get a bunch of pairs of maternity hose to wear to the office (ugh!) but they were out by the time I was pregnant again in 2005. I remember this because I came across the maternity hose when unpacking and felt very thankful that I wasn't expected to wear them again.

So I'd say they went out of style in maybe 2003 or 2004.

I know they were still in style back when I was pregnant with my oldest in 2002 because I had to get a bunch of pairs of maternity hose to wear to the office (ugh!) but they were out by the time I was pregnant again in 2005. I remember this because I came across the maternity hose when unpacking and felt very thankful that I wasn't expected to wear them again.

So I'd say they went out of style in maybe 2003 or 2004.

Wow! 7 years later I finally find this out! I thought I was pretty up to date on these things but apparently I was in la-la land instead.

(I actually don't really care very much, as long as *I* feel I look presentable, but I do find it very funny to discover how out of it I've been for these past few years!)