Menu

Would your teenager eat this?

Would your teenager eat home-made soup?  

1. 1. Would your teenager eat home-made soup?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

I hosted four of Calvin's friends for a day recently. I let them get on with their day, but provided snacks and lunch. For lunch I made two soups: pea and ham, and vegetable. I let them choose and serve it for themselves, and eat it with bread. Offering choice was partly because one of the boys is from Turkey and I didn't know if he was a practising Muslim.

I didn't watch them eat, but after they had gone Calvin came to ask (very politely) if they could have something like pizza next time. At least one of the boys had eaten only bread.

Buying pizza is absolutely not a problem: I want to make my house welcoming to C's friends. I'll also put a bowl of fruit and veg on the table for people to choose if they wish. I was just wondering if your teenager would eat home-made soup. Multi-choice poll to follow.

Laura

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hosted four of Calvin's friends for a day recently. I let them get on with their day, but provided snacks and lunch. For lunch I made two soups: pea and ham, and vegetable. I let them choose and serve it for themselves, and eat it with bread. Offering choice was partly because one of the boys is from Turkey and I didn't know if he was a practising Muslim.

I didn't watch them eat, but after they had gone Calvin came to ask (very politely) if they could have something like pizza next time. At least one of the boys had eaten only bread.

Buying pizza is absolutely not a problem: I want to make my house welcoming to C's friends. I'll also put a bowl of fruit and veg on the table for people to choose if they wish. I was just wondering if your teenager would eat home-made soup. Multi-choice poll to follow.

Laura

We eat soup all the time and have it at friends' homes so there would not be any issue there. Sorry you had the trouble!

Neither of my kids are fans of soup. They are both vegans, too. So, unless they could ask questions about the ingredients in the vegetable soup (such as what you used for the base), they wouldn't eat it.

It's sad, because I think it sounds like a lovely meal.

My daughter would have been thrilled with the bread, though.

My kids like homemade soup if I make it but my son would probably balk if it was made by someone else. He's just...choosy.

When he hosts friends, we do usually order pizza- that way the boys can eat it later when they get hungry. And they will get hungry.

Sorry you had that happen- homemade soup is so good!

Mine would have been fine with one or the other. I have one who would not have probably wanted the pea/ham combo, but would eat it if set before him; my middle son would have eaten either one. Oh, and the pea/ham refuser would have been fine with the veggie soup.

Now, if you'd had soup and pizza, they'd go for pizza, but with just the soup, they'd have eaten it and liked it. It's my six year old who wouldn't....

My eldest would be SO happy to eat that. That is one of his favorite meals. He also would have also eaten the veggies and the fruit you put out. They younger, not so much. He wouldn't eat soup even if he were very, very hungry. He would have been very happy with the bread and fruit though. He would not have complained about the soup. To him, bread and fruit is a viable meal.

I can see teenagers wanting pizza for a friend's gathering because it's ..pizza. I can just see them getting into a space where that is what "everyone" feeds them at a party or whatever. It is easier to stuff pizza down, rather than soup, when hanging out with friends. My eldest isn't quite a teen (he is 11) but I can getting an idea of what a hungry group of them look like when they get together.

I make great soup, and my DD never eats it.

However, I have found that homemade pizza is a hit with her and with everyone she knows. So is cheese with whatever (except for her one vegan friend) and so is Ceasar salad.

So when she has company I usually provide either several cheeses with crackers or bread, or English muffin pizzas, or polenta crust pizza, or pizza with one of my homemade crusts with the rye flour. And always a green salad of some sort, usually with Ceasar or vinaigrette dressing.

These are the not the only things kids will eat at this age, but they do seem to be the most reliably popular offerings.

Laura

My boys would have chosen the soup over the pizza. Homemade soup is a favorite of ours. However, I'm often surprised at what their friends eat - or don't eat. It is interesting, too, that when my boys spend the day/night at a friend's house, they often come home and ask for food because they are usually not fed or are offered something like Little Debbies for breakfast :blink:

Both of my girls would eat homemade soup. :001_smile: However, one would ask if they were gluten free (but likes meat) the other would ask if they vegetarian (but likes bread to dip).

I think your solution of two different types of soup to handle possible dietary requirements was very clever.

Some kids are just not ready try things they haven't had before.

Mine will eat anything when visiting somewhere. It's how they've been brought up so they wouldn't give it a second thought (and they don't have allergies). They like soup, so they wouldn't be telling "yuck" stories at home later either. ;)

I really like having kids who will eat anything (whether they like it or not). Occasionally when we are eating with friends I'm reminded just how nice that is.

I can see teenagers wanting pizza for a friend's gathering because it's ..pizza. I can just see them getting into a space where that is what "everyone" feeds them at a party or whatever. It is easier to stuff pizza down, rather than soup, when hanging out with friends. My eldest isn't quite a teen (he is 11) but I can getting an idea of what a hungry group of them look like when they get together.

:iagree: This was the first thing I thought about. Eating something with fingers seems informal and something to do while a group is talking with one another. Soup is more formal because it's a sit-down at the table meal.

Having said that, I think you are fine providing what you feel is appropriate and having something simple like bread or crackers and cheese for the people who don't want the soup. I would be more inclined to provide monkey platters for a gathering like that. It's just a platter full of a variety of foods. It can include cut up sandwiches, fruit, veggies & dips, and basically anything that one can pick up with fingers. The kids I've hosted at my home have responded favorably to them. It's variety enough that there is usually something for everyone. Oh, but I'm talking an appropriate amount for a group of teens, not just a small platter of a few foods. The last time I did it, I had 4 teens, including my dd. The other teens had never seen such a thing and really loved it. I had to make a second platter! :tongue_smilie:

Given a choice mine would take pizza over soup, but if all you offered were those two soups, he would have eaten and enjoyed either one. He also would have eaten a lot of bread. We love soup, and don't get much "soup weather" here in Florida. He has been raised on homemade soup and doesn't care for canned soup.

...I didn't watch them eat, but after they had gone Calvin came to ask (very politely) if they could have something like pizza next time. At least one of the boys had eaten only bread.

JW: Did the boys actually complain about the soup, or did your son make the request because he noticed they weren't eating it?

As much as I'd like it not to be the case, none of my three would have eaten enough of either of your choices to be happy. All would have gobbled up the bread though. Two would have probably eat some of the soup. One would have had just the bread. None would have asked for anything else.

We do eat soup here but not a ton. The less picky ones do enjoy beef stew and chicken chili. I love ham and pea soup but never make it since I'm the only one who would enjoy it.

Well, dsd is vegetarian, so she would not have eaten either soup unless she knew they were vegetarian. She likely would have asked, hopefully in a way that only conveyed she was *curious*, not in a way that made it clear that if they both had meat in them, she wouldn't be eating, iykwim.

Dss doesn't love soup, but hopefully he would have picked one and eaten it gratefully. Hopefully. :tongue_smilie: He likes many soups ok, they're just not his favorite. But he's old enough I do sincerely hope he's able to eat what he's offered as politely as possible in those sorts of situations.

They both would have loved the bread.

My kids like soups, stews and chilis - we are getting to that season, yum!

Plus for a group setting they are easy to serve and make sure you have enought for everyone.

But I do find when entertaining kids outside of my family - it becomes difficult. I've even run across kids who will not eat pizza! Go figure.

Neither of my kids are fans of soup. They are both vegans, too. So, unless they could ask questions about the ingredients in the vegetable soup (such as what you used for the base), they wouldn't eat it.

I used a vegetable stock (no animal products) because I wanted to be sure that there was no pork in it.

Laura

we only have homemade soup - but when the boys friends come over it is usually pizza (which dh also makes from scratch) and pop. but they will eat soup if they like it.

ds did make himself sick on clam chowder once. he's learned never to eat four bowlsfull in one sitting. ;-p

I used a vegetable stock (no animal products) because I wanted to be sure that there was no pork in it.

Laura

In that case, my son might well have had a little bit, especially if it had lots of potatoes.

My daughter wouldn't, but she would honestly have been very happy with bread and fruit.

Neither would have complained or made a scene about it. They're really used to not eating when they go places.

Dd18 would be allergic to both.

Dd17a would not eat either, but would love the bread and fruit.

Dd17a would have eaten/all any of it. (probably would have taken the veggie soup)

Ds14 would have eaten the veggie soup, but not the pea.

Dd18 would also be allergic to pizza. The rest would probably prefer it to soup but would never complain about it.

My older ds would have eaten just the bread--he's a picky eater. He dislikes soup but will usually eat it if I serve it for dinner. My younger ds might have eaten the soup. He likes all kinds of food and would probably at least try the soup.

My boys are used to more casual foods when getting together with friends--pizza or simple sandwiches. Soup is like "real food" and I think it would be unexpected unless they were having supper.

"other"

My kids would have eaten it, but many of their friends would not have. Texture issues (mixed up chunks), plus vegetables (some of which might be unfamiliar) would make many hesitate. More so the schooled kids than the homeschooled kids.

We often have large groups of teens over to visit, usually for a very long day (7 or 8 hours at a time) due to distance issues. I usually serve one of these three main dishes, more than one for large gatherings or multiple-meal visits:

--homemade macaroni cheese (a huge hit - no one dislikes this) - I add onion and celery and carrot and cut it up super-finely.

--homemade pizza (always a plain cheese one, sometimes a pepperoni one, sometimes a pesto/zukes/peppers/eggplant/red onion/feta one, though this is more popular with adults)

--"Mexican Mashup" - a help-yourself of beans, rice, salsa, guac, cheese, sometimes meat but often not, and chips to scoop it all up with. This is cheap and filling and healthy and quite popular. I show the kids how to put it on their plate and scoop, and discuss various combinations that might suit various kids' dietary issues

I add:

--water to drink

--possibly lemonade or another non-soda option

--Simple cut-up fruit

--Sometimes hummus and chips

--Sometimes healthy muffins or other baked item

--I might add a fruit dessert (apple crumble) but usually the above does just fine.

If it's a family meal with only an extra teen or two, I might instead do spaghetti or lasagna or ravioli.

I don't serve all this at every gathering! But these are my go-to items when menu planning, based on many years of experience.

Edited by askPauline

Other: I should hope so!

Perhaps ham was out? Perhaps the kid eats nothing but junk at home?

I was shocked to find out people who can barely try something different. I made a rice salad and was surprised to see a grown man take a teeny bit on a fork and stick his tongue waaaaaaaaay out to tap it on the rice. After a few hesitant smacks, he tried a nibble. Then he took a serving.