Menu

Would your teenager eat this?

Would your teenager eat home-made soup?  

1. 1. Would your teenager eat home-made soup?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

--"Mexican Mashup" - a help-yourself of beans, rice, salsa, guac, cheese, sometimes meat but often not, and chips to scoop it all up with. This is cheap and filling and healthy and quite popular. I show the kids how to put it on their plate and scoop, and discuss various combinations that might suit various kids' dietary issues.

I did something similar a couple of weeks ago when the kids had friends over, and it was a big hit. I set out:

- rice

- seasoned black beans

- salsa

- diced tomatoes

- corn niblets

- shredded lettuce

- diced onions

- flour tortillas I had grilled with a little margarine

We had no left-overs to speak of, which surprised me a bit.

I hosted four of Calvin's friends for a day recently. I let them get on with their day, but provided snacks and lunch. For lunch I made two soups: pea and ham, and vegetable. I let them choose and serve it for themselves, and eat it with bread. Offering choice was partly because one of the boys is from Turkey and I didn't know if he was a practising Muslim.

I didn't watch them eat, but after they had gone Calvin came to ask (very politely) if they could have something like pizza next time. At least one of the boys had eaten only bread.

Buying pizza is absolutely not a problem: I want to make my house welcoming to C's friends. I'll also put a bowl of fruit and veg on the table for people to choose if they wish. I was just wondering if your teenager would eat home-made soup. Multi-choice poll to follow.

Laura

I do not have a teen, but freinds do and all of them would eat it. my 12 yo dn would also

I had to choose other. Two of my kids (one is no longer a teenager but I am remembering when he was) would love to get homemade soup. My youngest is the pickiest eater ever- she has been like this since little when she went through phases of eating food with ranch dressing and another one of eating food with ketchup. Her current issues are so bad that they are driving me nuts= one specific type of apple= MacIntosh, no pears except red ones, prunes are okay as well as plums but not peaches, etc, etc, etc.

My sons' friends *love* it when I make a big pot of soup for them. If I add homemade bread they are beyond happy. I'm sorry you had some picky kids. I, for one, don't do the pizza thing for teens unless they are buying. Too expensive. LOL.

My dc would not enjoy the pea and ham soup (I would like it, though!), but would eat the vegetable. They would probably prefer tortilla soup, chicken vegetable, chicken noodle, chicken and rice, vegetable and pasta soup, or potato soup (or potato and broccoli, or potato and ham).

We often have dinners for teens, and they love having soup and bread for the meal.

So maybe it was not a problem with soup, but perhaps they would prefer a different kind of soup? Or perhaps they are just pickier eaters than I am used to serving.

Maybe try a potato bar next time - baked potatoes with lots of different toppings they can add. That is inexpensive, but filling and yummy.

Ds would eat both & then come home and eat again -soup just isn't filing enough for him, unless it's bordering on a stew.

The veg was potato, onion, carrot and celery, I think. It was an emergency last-minute soup, when I suddenly thought about the Turkish boy, so it was filling but not exotic - made from whatever I had on hand.

The pea and ham soup was dense.

I do know that teenage boys can eat...

Laura

I did something similar a couple of weeks ago when the kids had friends over, and it was a big hit. I set out:

- rice

- seasoned black beans

- salsa

- diced tomatoes

- corn niblets

- shredded lettuce

- diced onions

Some teenagers might well find it suspicious.

Laura

Yes.....but then again children eat what they are told. This is not an issue of choice. If my wife makes soup, the children eat it.

....however, demonstrating that I do overflow with the milk of human kindness, if I made the soup I would not ask anyone to eat it.

Yes, when I had a teenager, she would have eaten either soup. My not teens yet crew - 7 & 10 - would also eat soup. They would soup for two reasons: first, we eat soup. Also, they have also grown up with the etiquette clause that you eat what you are served, graciously, even if you are fairly certain it is disgusting and may kill you (barring life threatening food allergies).

Eta: I "had" a teenager because she is now 22, not because we sold or misplaced her.

My son never eats soup. He doesn't like it when foods are mixed together and has some sensory issues.

My dd however would have no problem with it.

I tend to put out pizza in such situations for my teenagers and their friends, although we have often had meals like marinated baked chicken, or spaghetti Bolognese (meat or vegetarian), or sausages, mashed potatoes and peas, since they seem to be generally acceptable meals to most of the teens who come here.

I do find many kids to be fussy, so I try to cater for general tastes- we don't eat a lot of meat but I do make sure we have meat when I have teen guests, generally.

Buying pizza is absolutely not a problem: I want to make my house welcoming to C's friends. I'll also put a bowl of fruit and veg on the table for people to choose if they wish. I was just wondering if your teenager would eat home-made soup. Multi-choice poll to follow.

I usually just throw out a variety of foods for my dd's friends. She often has a pack over. I've frankly never worried about whether or not they like the food- it's free food and they're teenagers! They usually clean me out of whatever I put out.

Dd recently told me that her friend like and respect me. I didn't think they would have an opinion one way or another, so I asked her why that is. Dd told me it's because I don't care if they like me or not, and I treat them like they have brains.

Both of my boys would have had soup and bread.

I find it difficult, though, to feed many of their friends. It seems they are still accustom to what I think if as Kid Food: pizza, chicken strips, fries and soda.

We have never eaten that way, so was quite an adjustment.

I have a few dishes that I make that are versions of 'acceptable foods'. I try to make those for sleepovers and dinner time visits.

I usually try to serve at least two different TYPES of main food. Soup and sandwiches, for instance, because if a person doesn't like soup, having two kinds isn't helpful. If they can't eat bread, two kinds of sandwiches aren't helpful. It's a little more likely that they will like either the soup or the sandwich.

I have one who would probably eat the veggie soup, and one who would probably not. I'd be surprised if either one tried the pea soup - it's not a standard item in this neck of the woods. For many kids and teens, I think they might try new things at home, but are less inclined to do so when visiting. They're still honing their 'good guest' skills, and may not trust their ability to keep a straight face if they think the food is disgusting.

Confession: as a fully grown adult, I took a bite of stuffed grape leaves at another mom's house, and I not only couldn't finish it, I *know* that my face gave me away, lol. There are some things you can NOT force yourself to finish without risking sickness, which doesn't seem like an improvement over not eating it. I'm sure they were fabulous for those who like stuffed grape leaves, but such cosmopolitan choices are rare around here, and the strong taste took me completely by surprise. So, I will still try new things, but less so when the ingredients are completely unknown, or I don't know the people well enough to say, "Nope, don't like it."

Laura, I asked my not-quite-teen son and he said he would love either of the soups you made, but he also offered an explanation for why it might not go over well. "Some kids aren't used to getting real food, Mom. They just don't know what to do with it."

I voted No. My dd would have eaten the bread only. She would not care for the texture of either soup. She probably wouldn't eat much pizza either, although she'd eat fruit if it were out. She eats like this at home too, several small snack/meals throughout the day, even usually breaks dinner up into two parts, eating the second part several hours later.

My ds would have eaten both the soup and bread. Or pizza. Or just about anything.

Also, they have also grown up with the etiquette clause that you eat what you are served, graciously, even if you are fairly certain it is disgusting and may kill you (barring life threatening food allergies).

:iagree: My kids will eat a reasonable sized portion of anything when someone else serves it, b/c that is the polite thing to do when someone else has gone out of their way to prepare something for you!

My kids would have eaten it... but they would much rather have had pizza. I just asked my 17 yo and she said other people's homemade food scares her. And I get that... we have had a few 'incidents' at friends' houses. At any rate, I voted that they would have eaten it. And especially if I had made it. But, only vegetable. Not pea. Sorry!!

Margaret

My kids aren't teenagers.

But when I was a teen, I would have eaten the veggie soup (but not the ham. I'd have hated the ham), though I would have preferred the pizza. My mom homecooked every day, so getting to eat pizza would have been such a cool treat at a friend's house.

The idea of us ordering the pizza ourselves, having it delivered, popping open the box and eating the pizza with our hands, and maybe walking around if we wanted to---I would have loved that. It would have felt so grown up to me.

Sitting still sipping soup off spoons. Not so cool. It's too much like being taken care of by mom. Ordering pizza feels more independent and grown up to me. (Or, it would have back then.)

Good or bad, my kids love most food. So yes, they would have eaten and at least one of mine would have asked for seconds. ;) lol

I've served soup to friends as often as I've served pizza.

I do always like to know about allergies etc., and my kids are old enough that they can ask and then let me know. I don't want anyone to leave our place hungry!

I've had some similar experiences with my ds's friends and it's actually a peeve of mine. I was raised that if you are invited for a meal you eat what is offered and be grateful so I guess barring any allergies or dietary restrictions those are the expectations I have of my kids and their friends.

My older ds had a friend over once and I made spaghetti: noodles, sauce and meatballs. To me that seems like a pretty kid friendly meal. Ds's friend took a heaping portion and then only ate a few bites. This is a 13 year old boy! About an hour later the boy came to me and was hungry and wanted me to make him a cheese sandwich. I asked him what type of cheese and he said "cheddar". So I got out the bread and cheese to make his sandwich and he looks at me and says, "Don't you have white cheddar? I only eat white cheddar". I offered him fruit which he also turned down. The only thing he would eat that I offered him was ice cream.

He has not been invited back. There are other reasons behind that but I have to admit the pickiness played a big role.

I had to vote other - my kids don't eat soup at home, but at a friends home they probably would have taken a small portion of vegi soup and eaten a few spoonfuls to be polite. We have a lot of teen and young adult parties - I probably would never have thought to serve soup to that age group unless I was doing sandwiches and a vegi tray too. I might do chili - but I'd have hot-dogs and baked potatoes w/ additional fixings and chips.

I like to reinforce the concept that this is a home, not a food court at the mall.

Of course I accommodate allergies and preferences for dinner guests, but anybody who randomly drops by is going to be offered whatever real food is on the menu for my own teens.

It might be pizza, or it might be bean soup. If you're really lucky, it will be my best chili recipe followed by root beer floats. Just don't ever be surprised by the bean soup.

Edited to add: I answered the poll with a yes.

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar

I had to vote other - my kids don't eat soup at home, but at a friends home they probably would have taken a small portion of vegi soup and eaten a few spoonfuls to be polite. We have a lot of teen and young adult parties - I probably would never have thought to serve soup to that age group unless I was doing sandwiches and a vegi tray too. I might do chili - but I'd have hot-dogs and baked potatoes w/ additional fixings and chips.

I think chili can be risky. Even adults can be really picky about what chili should look/taste like. And they all eat it differently- crackers, fritos, cheese, sour cream.

My son has never eaten a hot dog in his life.

My youngest two eat my food well- I'm not running a diner so they eat what I cook. But they are choosy when eating food other people cook. It makes them look really really picky. Drives me nuts.

None of my kids would have eaten it. They don't care for soups at all. My youngest would have just eaten bread. My middle would have eaten the ham out of the ham and pea soup. My oldest might have had some of the soup broth and probably would have dipped the bread in it to flavor the bread.

My middle dd loves veggies, but only eats them raw.

Only my oldest eats pizza.

Burgers would work for all three of them. My oldest likes them grilled with cheese and a bun. My middle eats just the burger patty (no mixing of foods for her). My youngest likes plain burgers but not grilled.

My boys are not teens yet but I hope you don't mind if I answer anyway. They eat some homemade soups when we have them for family dinners... chicken noodle soup, beer cheese soup, chicken wild rice soup, baked potato soup. They would not enjoy pea soup or vegetable soup. They would take one bite to be polite, fill up on bread, and hopefully say thank you.

I wouldn't serve any kind of soup to their friends unless I knew a certain friend really liked it. When new friends come over we serve pizza, (delivered or homemade), calzones, lasagna, spaghetti & meatballs, fried chicken and mashed potatoes, sub sandwiches with potato chips, etc. They are typically definite crowd pleasers. Also bars and cookies for dessert, or ice cream sundaes.

I love to cook and I don't mind making something special to make friends feel comfortable here. Most of my kids' friends have always been polite whatever we served, but I also want them to really enjoy their meals here.

P.S. It was very thoughtful of you to make the second soup just in case the boy from Turkey doesn't eat pork!

Edited by RanchGirl

They have and do eat it...

It may have less to do with being homemade than flavors. I can't envision Pea and Ham being a teen favorite. But hey-I'm from the US and maybe here its a regional issue too.

I was first introduced to pea soup in the US - I seem to remember stopping at a Pea Soup Capital of America (or the World). Maybe this one?

Laura

Other: dd12 would not have eaten either of those, but would have eaten the bread and veggies. She prefers her vegetables raw not cooked and doesn't like peas. She LOVES chicken soups, beef soups, and pasta/rice/potatoes based soups. She would have been happy to have one of those.

DS17 would have happily eaten either.

My kids were raised with an almost continuous soup pot during our home school years. Soup to them is a very basic staple.

- rice

- seasoned black beans

- salsa

- diced tomatoes

- corn niblets

- shredded lettuce

- diced onions

Burritos are so incredibly common around here (Northern NJ). They are in the same league as hamburgers, hotdogs, and pizza.

My kids use all the above ingredients plus avocado, sour cream, shredded cheddar, and seasoned ground beef.

Anyone remember Colleen's thread about serving soup to a young guest (from a few years ago)?

:tongue_smilie:

It got kinda crockpotish.

Hmm, I kind of remember something about serving beans to kids. Maybe it was bean soup?

:lol: I just googled: well trained mind colleen bean soup

and the infamous bean thread came up first :p

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

Burritos are so incredibly common around here (Northern NJ). They are in the same league as hamburgers, hotdogs, and pizza.

My kids use all the above ingredients plus avocado, sour cream, shredded cheddar, and seasoned ground beef.

Hmm, I kind of remember something about serving beans to kids. Maybe it was bean soup?

:lol: I just googled: well trained mind colleen bean soup

and the infamous bean thread came up first :p

OMGosh! You rock! I searched, too but using this board's search function. :lol:

Look at the tags! Ah, those were the days before the Tagpolice cracked down!

soup with jalapenos! and salad!

ETA: oops, Colleen wrote she omitted the jalapenos! Sorry!

Edited by unsinkable

When my sons were teenagers they would not have eaten pea or vegetable soup without a fuss. They do like soup, just not those two choices. My white chicken chili was a huge hit with their sons during a "Halo" event my oldest hosted some years back.

It does seem that my sons would be unusual according to the polls, but certainly not amongst their friends while they were in Highschool.