Menu

Why do you put what you do in your signature line?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put the info that I did so people could see where I am coming from. I did not put curriculum because it was customized to each child and all of it wouldn't fit. I actually used all of the lines available. I personally like to see how many children a person has and the age and sex of each child because it not only helps me craft answers to that person's questions but also helps me interpret their replies. I also like it when people personalize their signatures a bit because it gives me some insight into their personality and helps me remember them.

This is my blog, in case you want to see what a real homeschool is like :D or find the funny picture my kids took of my hubby when he fell asleep while he was supposed to be playing with them, or my weekly report where I try to keep track of what I do so that next year I won't feel so bad about how much I'm not getting done

[/font]

That's something my dh and then my dc would do. :D

There have been many times over the years when someone has given great advice in a particular subject area and I looked at their signature to see if they listed the program they use so I don't have to ask. :D I wish there was a rule that people had to list full titles, though, because I can't keep up with all the abbreviations occasionally even after all this time! LOL

I lurk more than I post, and I am super cautious about putting personal info on the internet, (hence the lack of kid identifying info in the siggy), so I wanted to avoid looking like a bridge dweller. :001_smile:

I didn't add everything because it only allows so many characters, but it is enough to let people know where I am coming from educationally. I love reading the quotes in the siggies; maybe after I feel more established I'll change my signature to quotes or something else fun. Or I'll totally forget until someone resurrects this thread in six months. :tongue_smilie:

My signature contains everything I think is relevant to my posts ;)

The risk of being perceived as a troll (or of being "troll-ish" whatever that entails) doesn't phase me enough to change my habits. I speak of my curricula choices and kids during the course of normal conversation on the forum.

Signatures remind me of bumper stickers. I like reading them, but don't put them on my own car. Hypocritical, perhaps, but I can live with that :D

Well, I was trying to find a fun way to say "The buck stops here." Because it does.

In my next life, I want to come back as my husband. Make it and spend it and not have a worry in the world because I wouldn't be managing it. My wife would be.

Oh, and currently, it's NOT make it, not spend it, and it's still OK. (He's unemployed). It's not as stressful as that sounds. I just would like to not have to care for awhile and :chillpill:, but frankly, it's unlikely. (See avatar).

Which ones were you wondering about?

Any. I especially like to the see the curriculums used by people who seem to be working hard to offer a rigorous education.

Another helpful thing about people listing curriculums is seeing what things can be used at what ages. For those of us who are new, it's easy to see by people's signatures that, for example, AAS or FLL are things that start in early elementary while AoPS is for older students.

It helps in answering posts, when a poster talks about a ds, you can look in i siggie, see how many they have, how old the subject may be, what they're using that may go along with. It's kind of like a shorthand. I gave mine up because it was so freakin big, but that might have been a mistake because with the new people on the forum, it kind of helps.

Blogs, well, yeah.

Edited by justamouse

My siggie is a reminder to myself...no more maths - Keep it simple...no more LA programs - Keep it simple...no more workboxes or file boxes - Keep it simple, Paula!!!:chillpill:

I put my dc's ages b/c I think it's relevant to understanding my posts (Shall I advise you on some high school topics???:tongue_smilie:). 3rd time through Kindy within just a few years...I'm an expert in handwriting and phonics, by golly!:lol:

Well, I guess the ones you could "buy" and follow are math and reading.

She uses Harcourt Brace, Singapore, Math Connections and Spectrum. If you looked at the blog, I hyperlink to resources we've just finished using as I pull them out of delicious as I've researched and planned for them. I might be using Apologia in the next few weeks if it is what I think it is; I'm still learning on that though.

Most of the link creation pieces I use for printables and such are buried here: http://www.delicious.com/rosysmith42/ at my bookmark file.

I build lesson plans from a Bloom's Template taxonomy to keep it cohesive and just form it as her learning needs or styles go. Many of the things she does do not need a textbook but just a ton of creativity and little rules..like photography.

It's nothing too fancy, just jotted on index cards to cover the basics and work on either first exposures to materials or deeper if she's interested. Some are short instruction plans, and some go on for months..it just depends. Her current at home science focus (in botany) has been going on for about six months now as it develops.

I try to match what I can to the PS curriculum during the school year to reinforce or just create fluency for the majority of the week. The outside subjects are for off days which there are a ton of and a lot of time to fill.

I do try to weave different elements in one thing when I can to compact it a bit more and it causes relationships or connections to the next thing.

It helps in answering posts, when a poster talks about a ds, you can look in i siggie, see how many they have, how old the subject may be, what they're using that may go along with. It's kind of like a shorthand. I gave mine up because it was so freakin big, but that might have been a mistake because with the new people on the forum, it kind of helps.

Blogs, well, yeah.

Yeah, it helps when someone is crying b/c her kid is struggling in ROd and Staff 6 and then you read in the sig line the kid in question is 9. :lol:

The strangest thing I've seen in signatures (and I haven't seen it here in a long time, so hopefully, there won't be offense taken) is when people list their kids by all their special needs and defects. I'm completely serious. I've seen a few signatures that looked like this:

ds 11 - Aspie, allergic to wheat, casein, nuts, pickles and coconuts

dd 9 - Asthmatic; on Feingold diet and magnetic therapy

dd 7 - ADHD, ODD; allergic to dish soap, cats, mold and popcorn

ds 4 - OCD and agoraphobic; brushing therapy 3x week; also on Feingold

and me! Homeschooling through Fibromyalgia, Hayfever and Hypochondria!

:001_huh:

:lol::lol::lol:

You are so funny!

Well I didn't put my curriculum in my signature because ours is really a mish-mash including some typically ps textbooks because my ds is comfortable with the math program he used in ps. He plans on going back for high school and wants to do the same work as his friends. And I feel like a non-typical homeschooling mom because I only homeschool one of my dc right now, although I may homeschool more as the years go by. Who knows. Anyhow I feel like my sig says a little about who I am but not too much.

Am I the only one who had to actually go and look to remember what is currently in my signature? :tongue_smilie:

Am I the only one that then came to the realization that it is not completely up-to-date? :glare:

I have my children's ages by birth month and year so I don't have to remember to update it (plus I think it can be helpful to know if they are barely 6 or almost 7).

I put the basics of our curriculum but it's not really complete or completely accurate at the moment. I don't put what we're doing for history or science any more because it's a mish-mash of stuff.

I link to my blog since I do the Weekly Update and sometimes the Wordless Wednesday and it's easier that way.

The strangest thing I've seen in signatures (and I haven't seen it here in a long time, so hopefully, there won't be offense taken) is when people list their kids by all their special needs and defects.

I do this because it makes it easier on me to not have to type out my sons' issues every time I post on the Special Needs board. It's sort of like curricula lists in that regard, but I never have to change them. :001_smile:

OTOH, I'm not violating my kids' privacy. If you ever met either of my dss irl, their challenges are immediately apparent.

I gave up on listing curricula because I kept forgetting to update it.

For some, it can help them find others using the same curriculum.

Yes, and so I can see what people of "like minds" are using. Also, I give way curriculum. If I see someone using, e.g, GWG2, I might PM them and ask if they want my GWG3 when I'm done.

New ideas. I list mine because it is helpful to others, the way other's listings are helpful to me. Really.

I love to see what other folks are doing; though there's an elegance to the streamlined signatures, and I keep thinking about paring mine down.

The quote is one I came across while pregnant and homeschooling K with Button, and it seemed to express what I think is critical about education whether we keep hsing or not. Esp. in context, standing firm is expressing a willingness to do the right but hard thing, and to be willing to change one's behavior if it is harmful ...

In principle at least, this is primarily a site about education, specifically classical education, so I like to see what other people are using to educate their children. It is particularly useful on the education forums, but here too it is interesting to look at the choices of people whose general principles and expectations for their children seem (from posts on various subjects) similar to mine. In addition, if someone is using several of the same resources as I am, I find it worthwhile to have a look at the other programmes they use.

My quote is to remind myself (mostly) and every else to play nice. More than once I have written something harsh and then erased it out of the conviction that I am a big hypocrite.

Ages and curriculum, because it's helpful on the curriculum boards.

Edited by Shannon831

I'm new and have seen this alluded to a few times. What's up with that?

My point was that assumptions about signature or no signature work both ways.

It is possible to look at someone with tons of details in their signature and think they are pompous, egotistical, rigorous, demanding, laid back, workbooky, slacking, classical, unschooly, totally together, rigid, lying like a dog because no way is that workload even humanly possible etc., etc., etc.

It is equally possible to look at someone with few or no details in their signature and think they are wishing to fly under the radar, in the witness protection program, concealing ages due to giftedness or delays, concealing ages so they can give advice to moms of high schoolers even though they have toddlers, slackers, trolls, too busy homeschooling to bother but still might be classical, unschooly, rigorous, workbooky, etc., etc., etc.

All this to say that the presence or lack of a signature does not necessarily define people as well as we may think.

I'm reminded of Sneetches.

I don't mind if people have no stars upon thars. Indeed, let us learn from the Sneetches...

I’m quite happy to say.

That the Boardies got really quite smart on that day.

The day they decided that Boardies are Boardies.

And no kind of Boardy is the best of the Boardies.

That day, all the Boardies forgot about siggies and whether

They had one, or not, upon thars.

OK, the rhyming was a problem in the end, but you get the picture.

:D

I used to ask questions about curriculum in a specific subject and people would ask what else we were using and liking to get a sense of what suggestions might be most useful. I got sick of typing it out and stuck it in my signature. Our school motto is more of an explanation/apology for how I function.

That quote should be your signature :lol:

Thanks for the suggestion! We are leaving for vacation tomorrow and I've been so busy getting the kids stuff ready and dogs ready to go to a friends I haven't been on the boards. Can you believe the day before leaving I would take the time for something so silly? :D (Don't tell my husband)

Early on this new board, someone asked if we would do it to make it easier for them to see who used methods similar to their own, I think. They had reasons for their request that I don't now recall, but they seemed good at the time!

I remember that thread, and that's when I started listing stuff in my sig. Heck, I didn't even have a sig until then. And at the time some people objected, and some people went along with it.

Does this mean we're oldtimers now? Because I never hung around the old board much, but now I'm able to talk about old threads that started a trend here on the "new" board. Woohoo. I feel like I just moved up a grade in high school, and now there are people younger than me wandering around the building.

Also, I tend not to remember board names, but the signatures are easier for me to remember because of the way they look. So that's another point in their favor for me.

I post my picture, where I live, blog, curriculum and a quote that I like books over clothing. Less to type out and explain when I'm posting here and defines who I am.

I write a lot of curriculum reviews so I link to those. My blog gets several hits a minute from all over the world so I keep at it, as I love to help people.

Some of your responses have cracked me up, thanks for the chuckles this morning! :D

Hmm, I wavered on having a sig or not since I've been here and have had one at times and not at others. I decided to put one back up based on this thread. :)

Our curriculum sources are too varied to list it all in a sig line so I have it linked. I also linked to a blog post about my DD's hula hoop because the last several weeks have been great because it has become a fixture in our school day.

The last link is a quote written by Simcha Fischer mimicking those who complain in comments about her writing yet keep reading her (hysterically funny) blog. She's by far my favorite blogger and I think everyone should read her, so she gets a spot in my sig line.