Menu

Do you have more than one color on the walls of your house?

We have begun painting our house (with our landlord's blessing) and have finished the living room and one bathroom at this point. I choose a different color in each room, but they are both warm colors. I want to paint the school/dining a different color as well as the kitchen. Is this too much color in one house?

I love color! Our formal living/dining, family room, kitchen, and hallway are are a golden color with brown accent walls in several places. One bathroom is light blue, which is the same color we used in the laundry room. The other bathroom is red. The kids playroom is purple with a white stripe going around the center. The nursery is yellow. And our bedroom is a very light green.

We get compliments all the time. I think a lot of color in a house looks good.

I hope not! I have atleast 8 colors, but they are all in the same color wheel family from Benjamin Moore's Historical colors....

I've got Jamestown Gold, Shaker Beige, HC-36- I think it's Wedgewood Blue but looks more like a colonial grey/blue, Carrington Beige, Butter, Robin's Egg in my laundry room, Blonde in my son's room, it was the best color that went with his Redwall theme...and Dove White for my trim! :) So lots of colors here! :)

We have 'always' had each room painted a different (but still 'going together') color. Including painting one wall a different color completely as a focal point, and having two different colors above and below a chair rail. And painted ceilings colors other then white (but here make SURE that you chose flat not gloss paint). Have fun, color is fun, if you don't like it, paint back over it.

Shoot - I have a couple of rooms that are multiple colors

My daughters is bubble gum pink and turquoise

My other daughters room is lavendar

My sons is deep navy blue and khaki

My room is a deep forest green

Family room is gold

Kitchen is deep cranberry color

Living room is a celery color

I also have floral wallpaper and another style of wallpaper.

No, color is a good thing! My kitching/dining/school area & living room are in one big open area, but I've got the living room one color and the kitchen/dining another. They're complimentary, and the curtains tie it all together. I don't take that room & it's colors into consideration when choosing colors for the other rooms. I know some people like color to "flow" smoothly through the house... I just do what I like; after all, my family & I have to live with it, not others.

Dining room is a velvety red on the bottom under the chair rail, and cream on top (painter did a cool striped effect by alternating flat with satin).

Den is a warm, Tuscany yellow (not orangey tho).

Living room is a sagey green.

Everything else is a creamy white (except the entry--old lady flowered wall paper there until we can get it painted next year!).

I love color!

Kitchen/Dining room is bright bright yellow

Living Room will be Irish Green

Bathroom will be taupe

G's room is pale yellow but once it's done will be a darker blue

The girls' room will be purple

We're debating for our room

The master bath is silver

Family Room, Family Room Ceiling, Morning Room & Kitchen, Laundry Room and 2nd Bath are all different colors. We are planning on re-painting the bedrooms once we finalize bedding...

For time-sake, I picked a nice Taupe, but I don't think there will be any room left this color once I'm done.

Basically, every color is taken from our stone fireplace: slate gray, taupey-gray, copper, tan, and chocolate

Master bedroom, living room and den: color #1 (off-white with blue/gray undertone, except the fireplace wall, which is chocolate brown)

Bedrooms 2 & 3 (across from each other): color #2 (off-white with taupe undertone)

Kitchen and Dining room: color #3 (copper metallic!)

Office: color #4 (similar to color #1, but not the same exact shade, b/c the lighting is different in that room)

Bedroom 4: color #5 (off-white with tan undertone)

If the colors all relate to each other or are taken from some feature of the house (in our case, a stone fireplace that has a bunch of different colors), varying the colors can look really nice. :)

HIH,

Lisa

Oh goodness. I think many homes have several colors.

In our last house:

Kitchen and Dining: Victorian Garnet and paper

Office: Contractor Paper finish

Master and Laundry (opposite sides of house): Mickey Mouse Blue (it was a school room :)).

DD's room: A muted green color

DS's room: Buttercream on three walls and a chocolate accent wall

I wanted to do our room a gold and deep red.

I talked to y'all and was trying to decide between plum and pumpkin for the one living area but never did it.

Anyway, so ours were just individual tastes. Now, my friend had a green room, a yellow room, a purple room, and orange room; but they were all the same SORTS of colors so it pulled together very nicely...very deep colors. Another friend had a similar thing going.

Here, we have boring. Our landlord did give us the option to paint, but we're really not painters. If we did anything, it'd probably be accent walls in the bedrooms.

I don't have white walls anywhere except in closets in my house. My kitchen, dining room and bathroom are tan, the living room and hallway are blue, the master bedroom is green, and the kid bedrooms are blue and green. As long as the color flows, I don't see any problem with it.

My house is only 650 square feet. Basically five rooms and a tiny hall way. It it all painted different colors. Living room is pompei red, kitchen is light yellow. Bath room is a glossy white paint with seafoam green tile, bedroom is light blue, hall way is beige, and the girls room is green stripes. The basement in brown. I love color!

Dd's room - bubblegum pink - so pink that it glows!

Ds's room - green on part of the walls, blue on the other

master bath - blue on the lower half, sort of a beige on the upper half

main bath - seafoam green

schoolroom - sort of a pink hued white (very subtle but there) on the upper half, a soft green on the lower wainscoting.

living/dining/kitchen/master bedroom/dh's study- all boring white because I haven't gotten to them yet!

Different colors here too.

Master bedroom walls bronze

Ds's bed wall-maroon, black chalkboard wall, and two deep grey walls

Dd's bed wall periwinkle blue, other 3 walls are horizontal stripes its three shades of lime, one blue, one red, one pink, black, and Orange (multi widths Dr Seuss theme)

Hall is golden cream lower walls with rust red above and pale blue grey ceiling

Livingroom is golden

Foyer is pale golden on lower with chocolate brown above and pale grey blue ceiling

Office is raspberry pink with one wall diamonds of two pinks and turquoise fluers at points

Kitchen is greenish brown

Dds is pink and brown with gold ceiling

Dds is ocean real blue with gold ceiling

Bath is gold

Bath is cream walls and rust red ceilings

Utility is maroon

Yes.

Downstairs (living room) pumpkin, (kitchen) goldenrod, (foyer) grass green, (dining room) brick red. Laundry room is yellow and periwinkle... Neither went with the orange linoleum so I stopped painting halfway through.

Upstairs (hallway) same grass green as foyer & up the stairs, (master bedroom) midnight purple (I think Behr "maharaja"), (front bedroom) pink but going to be changed, (back bedroom) multi, (playroom) plum but going to change, (bathroom) light green but going to change (have to deal with hideous blue fixtures).

All trim is white. Downstairs flooring is walnut hardwood (except the aforementioned linoleum, and cork in the kitchen), stairs and upstairs floors are Sherwin Williams "black olive", as is the stair rail and newel posts(balusters are white).

I love color and our house is Victorian, so it can handle it.

Master bedroom: Walls and ceiling are painted "neutral" (a light tan)with white trim around windows and doors. Love it. The white pops!

Bathrooms: Pale lavender. I was copying a close friend who had a very lovely "purple" bathroom... I will put dark blue accents in the main bathroom to help "boyish" it up...

Boy#1 bedroom: Yellow. Green bedroom accents. Not a dark yellow, but definitely yellow!

Boy#2 bedroom: Peanut butter. That's the name of the paint color. Red and navy bedroom accents.

Hallway and living room: Light brown, ceiling is "polished pearl" which is a lovely cream color. Door frames and window trims are in the cream color, which really pops with the light brown walls. I was afraid of a darker color on the walls, but I love it now that it is on...

Kitchen: Polished pearl... because it has open walls with the living room and dining room and it blends in, but isn't "dark"...

Living room, dining room and kitchen all have red accents, which I love, love, love!

(If you are interested, I've been posting photos of my progress as I have been painting all summer, just visit my blog)

I like the different color schemes in the house... but, I am NOT a professional interior decorator... so, I've probably made some mistakes as I've repainted and redecorated in here...

I'm slowly repainting the house. I love autumn type colors for all the main areas. The whole house was painted in 'buttercream yellow' when we moved in-way too much yellow. I redid the living room in a nice khaki/lighter tan color, bedroom in an autumn leafy red, dd's room is two shades of her choosing (to match a butterfly border), ds has a very bold bright blue, laundry is a moss green and cream. Next will probably be both bathrooms, then the kitchen as we may be ripping cabinets out before too long and I don't want to paint until we decide.

Too many years of apartment living as a single made me detest white walls. I haven't counted how many colors are going in our house, but MANY! From Deep gold to french blue to pumpkin orange to sage green to wine etc etc etc. LOVE colors on my walls. Our house is almost 100 years old and it adds character to the heavy dark wood work.

We get compliments all the time. I did take some art and design classes in college so I am in charge of color. DH has been a skeptic, but I've come through every time! ;-)

My bottom floor is an open floor plan. The kitchen/living room is a dark/gray green, the dining a light beige and a light coffee in my front room. My upper hall is a dark cranberry which I would like to extend down the stairs, but painting there is tricky and I probably need to hire it done.

One bedroom is dark blue, one green, and one is beige. Mine is still white. I'm just getting ready to paint my upstairs bath a darkish green/brown. My bathroom is still white and the downstairs is wallpapered. It really needs some help.

Almost every room of this 5 bedroom house is a different color and I hate it! When I consider purchasing, all I can think of is what a huge pain and expense it would be. I'm glad her daughter lived purple but, really? I'm glad her son was into African prints but a light brown room with African border? My bedroom has a huge floral border and I hate floral paper. This house was on the market over 2 years (pre to early real estate bust) and a main reason it didn't sell has to be the amount of paint it'll take to get it "unpersonalized". When I own a house the walls are the simple canvas for my decorating. Since my decorating tends to change I keep the walls very, very simple and classic.

**typed without reading previous responses because it's late and I just wanted to throw my few little cents in. :)

We have begun painting our house (with our landlord's blessing) and have finished the living room and one bathroom at this point. I choose a different color in each room, but they are both warm colors. I want to paint the school/dining a different color as well as the kitchen. Is this too much color in one house?

for whether it is too much or not depends upon how the rooms flow. how much do you see of one room from another? how abrupt is the change in color?

some people really like a lot of saturated color in different colors, other's prefer a harmonious flow. what do you like?

the main areas of my house are a taupe/cream faux finish that flows from room to room. my kids have painted their rooms butter yellow, midnight and periwinkle blue on different walls, royal blue, and mint green. (I thought about specks of chocolate brown with some cherry red accents to go wtih the white molding/doors/windows. - she wasn't amused. though dh said it reminded him of a hospital.)

LOL

welllllll.....

kitchen: homegrown egg yolk yellow, deep red, caramel brown.

dining room (one long room with the kitchen) caramel brown and a lighter version of it.

*music room, living room (one long room) sage green/taupe.

*Entry, up stairs and downstairs hall same taupe as above.

*Downstairs bath: light mocha and creamy white.

Master: dark mocha and light mocha.

*Ds16: lt green/lt blue

*Dd12: lt green/lt purple

dd4 and bonus room: bluish green

* these rooms are due to be updated this year with fresh colors. I am having trouble deciding as I prefer the warmer colors of the 90s. The cooler colors that are more trendy now are great in moderation, and while blue is my favorite color, I find them cold for most of the house.

I kind of feel like until we buy, and I'll be wanting "the perfect colors", I want to experiment. :D

We've never held back on color (hasn't always panned out well :tongue_smilie:).

bright med. green in classroom

bright lemon yellow in kitchen..

..which extends into living room where there's also a dark slate grey

kids picked a kind of robins egg blue

The rest of the house has gone unpainted because we're not sure how long we'll be here.

ETA: When we buy I hope we can do some cool vintage wallpaper too. I like color and design. I imagine putting it in nooks and crannies... stuff like bold art deco designs or 70's metallic.

Edited by helena

Before the house burned I had everything different colors, when we rebuilt I went mostly 2 tone- beige and goldish. All the bedrooms are litegreen. 1 bathroom is 2 shades of purple- I painted alternating stripes, 1 bathroom is bright blue, and the laundry is coral with white trim and accessories. I'm itching to repaint the main living areas and liven it up around here since we've been home 4 yrs now but don't have the time and energy right now.

This house doesn't have a lot of color, but it needs to be painted, and when we do, it will be some different colors in different rooms. I have yellow picked out for the kitchen, with blue trim, and cream for the schoolroom, playroom, and living room. In our last house, we had a warm cream color in many of the rooms, but we used some brighter colors for accents, like dark red for one wall in the living room (which was gorgeous next to the cream and gave just that much extra visual interest) and a medium-dark blue in part of the dining room (lower half of the walls was covered in blue wainscotting and then the chair rail and top half were cream).

Yes, but they all go well together so you don't get a color shock when going from one room to the next. The main living area is open, and we have two different colors, but you barely notice the difference until you're actually in the room.

Ds wants to update his room, and once he finishes decluttering and getting rid of things he no longer uses, we'll be allowing him to choose a wall color (within reason). Once we paint his room, it will probably be quite different from the rest of the house.

(1) homes in which each room had a different color; and

(2) homes in which all of the walls were the same color.

In the "forever home," I opted for one color (Sherwin Williams, Practical Beige -- which is actually much warmer than it sounds). It can be seen in this M-mv entry. (Edited to add: I tried to include images in my post, but I guess I don't know how.) The trim and ceiling are white. All of the frames are black, as are most of the bookcases. (The bookcases in the "Girl Cave" are brown, but that room has an even warmer vibe than the rest of the house, as it and the sun room have red as the "pop color," where the rest of the rooms have blue as the "pop color.")

I crave "physic consonance." I need my surroundings to offer warmth, yes, but also a sense of orderliness. When making decisions about the forever home, I strove for environmental harmony, and I think the single color scheme throughout ungirded that.

Edited by Mental multivitamin
To add link since embedding images did not work

Light greyish/sage green and greyish/blue in my bedroom/bathroom

"Soft Slipcover" in living room

"Celery root" in dining room and kitchen

"Shortgrass Prarie" in great room

a sunny yellow color in the school room

dark blue in boys' bathroom

dark blue and grey in 1 DC's room

Dark green in other DC's room

The ceilings are all painted an off white color