Menu

Would you let your daughter wear this to homecoming?

Would you let your high school dd wear this to homecoming?  

1. 1. Would you let your high school dd wear this to homecoming?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

I think she meant if it was a national chain. For example, if it was an online exclusive at Nordtrom's online, then you might be able to have it shipped to a brick-and-mortar Nordstrom's for your dd to try on.

Ah. Got it.

I see that one of the local bridal stores carries this brand. Maybe I'll call them and see if they can order it.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is very pretty. If your daughter isn't busty or have 6' long legs it would probably be fairly modest on her, but no way to really know without knowing your daughter.

I like it a lot better than those dresses that hug your hips so tight they show every curve.

The return policy would bother me though.

We are conservative. No strapless and no knees. For us, its a no. I do love the color and with a cap sleeve and a little length it would be one we would consider!

I will add, as a semi-pro photographer (semi because I don't work often due to HS and kid obligations), that strapless is very rarely flattering. Unless the wearer is tiny, there are usually "fit" issues. Also, most young ladies (and I would say up through college-aged, easily, since I live in a college town) can't wear strapless without constant, distracting, yanking and adjusting of undergarments. To add to the problem, adjustments are rarely done in the ladies room anymore. My heart goes out to these girls who want to look pretty and just look so uncomfortable. I would encourage you to find a dress that looks great while dancing, sitting, getting out of a car, etc. - the wearer will have so much more fun at the event.

Can you make a day trip to a city with decent shopping? Even if it takes 2 hours to get there, it might be worth it for a special occasion. If you can have some online choices sent to major stores ahead of time, all the better.

It's just very hard to know how a fancy dress in particular is going to look and feel. A dress that looks great in a photo might be made of cheap material; a dress that looks too short on the model is probably not too short on a typical teen.

I think I would stay far, far away from the site that has the dress in question for a cheaper price. They are basically saying "we take photos of dresses from other sites and try to recreate them as best we can." Not only are you not getting the dress pictured, it sounds a bit dubious legally.

I think I would stay far, far away from the site that has the dress in question for a cheaper price. They are basically saying "we take photos of dresses from other sites and try to recreate them as best we can." Not only are you not getting the dress pictured, it sounds a bit dubious legally.

I think both sites are stores that do custom formal dresses from set patterns. Customers order out of a catalog. My bridesmaids' dresses came from a shop like that. But, I have never ordered online from a shop like that. Better to see if you a good tailor locally.

When you say no knees, is that skirts and dresses only or does that include shorts and swim attire?

Dawn

We are conservative. No strapless and no knees. For us, its a no. I do love the color and with a cap sleeve and a little length it would be one we would consider!

I will add, as a semi-pro photographer (semi because I don't work often due to HS and kid obligations), that strapless is very rarely flattering. Unless the wearer is tiny, there are usually "fit" issues. Also, most young ladies (and I would say up through college-aged, easily, since I live in a college town) can't wear strapless without constant, distracting, yanking and adjusting of undergarments. To add to the problem, adjustments are rarely done in the ladies room anymore. My heart goes out to these girls who want to look pretty and just look so uncomfortable. I would encourage you to find a dress that looks great while dancing, sitting, getting out of a car, etc. - the wearer will have so much more fun at the event.

That dress is gorgeous! The fact that it's sexy and naked is weighed against the fact that it's purple! I'd want to wear it myself! (Frightening thought!)

Alas, I could not order a dress that can't be returned.

I would need not see several other poses. I'd like to see the model with her hands down, standing straight, so we can see how long it really is. (Do you see she's actually off the ground?

And we have no idea what the back looks like. It might be plunging.

As gorgeous as it is, I suspect the average teenage wearer would not be as comfortable in it as that model appears to be.

But I totally see why your daughter wants it. It is dreamy!

ETA: Is your daughter going to be alone in a car with a teenage boy? That would definitely change this to a NO for me. It's seriously too naked.

Edited by Cindyg

We're having a discussion at my house. ;)

PromGirl-589362309.jpg

[haven't read the other replies]

I think it's very pretty ~ and yes, I would "let" my daughter wear it. (it's not really an issue of "letting" because I no longer make her clothing choices…)

[i wish that I had the body to wear it myself! Of course, I can't walk three steps in heels and it would look pretty silly with crocs or sneakers….]

I would need not see several other poses. I'd like to see the model with her hands down, standing straight, so we can see how long it really is. (Do you see she's actually off the ground?

And we have no idea what the back looks like. It might be plunging.

There are some other views here. It doesn't look quite so short on this model. But it still looks like a negligee to me. :glare:

PromGirl-589362310.jpg

and

PromGirl-589362555.jpg

Edited by Perry

I'd have to see it on my daughter. That's a dress you need certain proportions to wear. If you were long-waisted or had short legs it would look a little ridiculous.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about the length. Again, I'd want to see it on my daughter first.

I would be very concerned about the strapless. If she intends to dance or just wants the comfort of moving around with ease, then she may end up too self conscious in this. I agree that the length may or may not be a problem depending on your dd.

The bottom line, for me, would be the fact that there is too much risk in buying a dress online that can't be returned easily.

I would have to see it on the young lady in question, but I do have a concern about the length of the dress.

I would also want some spaghetti straps on it and for dd to wear a short sweater or some such. (I'm always freezing so tend to think of having an option for warmth available.)

ETA--I looked at the other pictures you posted. It just looks too small. Also I've never been enthused about strapless dresses--they are very alluring, and they're very hard to dance in. Even a spaghetti strap increases the comfort level a great deal IMO.

Edited by strider

When you say no knees, is that skirts and dresses only or does that include shorts and swim attire?

Dawn

We wear longer shorts and swim skirts (those are short). We also do knee length skorts. For skirts or dresses (which are much more revealing when one sits or bends over) we stick with below the knee. We are not legalistic about it but at 6' I have to be extra vigilant about length.

I wouldn't buy it for her, but if she were an older teen and absolutely adamant about it, and could buy it with her own funds, I wouldn't do anything drastic to stop her (though I would not be shy about voicing my distaste!). As others have said, a lot depends on figure. I stick thin, no boobs girl will look very different in this dress than a more voluptuous individual.

PromGirl-589362310.jpg

This picture brings to mind a cocktail waitress in a high dollar venue of the sort that my mom wouldn't even let me watch in a scene in a movie.

I showed it to my husband and asked him if he'd let his daughter wear it. He said no, but he was glad for the opportunity of seeing this model wear it. :glare:

It's a very lovely dress, but not the one I'd want to see my daughter in. Or my son's date either for that matter.

Yes, if my dd was able to try the dress on first to make sure that it was a good fit/length for her. I would not order any sort of formal dress without the ability to try it on or return the dress if it didn't fit.

Granted, I'm really not the least bit concerned about modesty and my dd is nowhere near old enough to need a homecoming dress so feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

This picture brings to mind a cocktail waitress in a high dollar venue of the sort that my mom wouldn't even let me watch in a scene in a movie.

I showed it to my husband and asked him if he'd let his daughter wear it. He said no, but he was glad for the opportunity of seeing this model wear it. :glare:

It's a very lovely dress, but not the one I'd want to see my daughter in. Or my son's date either for that matter.

:lol::lol:

Exactly why my daughter wouldn't be wearing it.

We're having a discussion at my house. ;)

No. My dd inherited her mother's long torso, and any dress that short would be more indecent on her than the designer intended (and models tend to be leggy, so on someone built like we are, it would be worse than it looks in the catalog.).

Come to think of it, I don't know if you can even return store bought homecoming dresses.

Okay. I can see the point of the policy, but at least with a store bought dress, you could try it on in the store before buying.

I also understand the "slim-pickings" dilemma, but I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions for getting over that hurdle. I hope whatever you get, she loves. A girl should have a pretty dress for homecoming. That is such a cute dress!

I searched and found a place that has the same dress, $40 cheaper, they will do a custom size, and they accept returns! But read their return policy::001_huh:

:lol::lol::lol:

I hope they sew better than they write!

I reads like there is a language barrier issue. English is obviously not their first language.

It is very pretty. If your daughter isn't busty or have 6' long legs it would probably be fairly modest on her, but no way to really know without knowing your daughter.

I like it a lot better than those dresses that hug your hips so tight they show every curve.

The return policy would bother me though.

:iagree: The color is fabulous.

[i wish that I had the body to wear it myself! Of course, I can't walk three steps in heels and it would look pretty silly with crocs or sneakers….]

I couldn't pull off the weird levitating thing it looks she is doing.

I would probably try to pinpoint what your dd likes about the dress, the color is gorgeous, the fit is cute and fun. Then look for something that fits those criteria with some of mom's criteria as well. It doesn't seem any more revealing than some cheerleader/dance outfits and it's way cuter than some of those on the Macy's website.

Edited by elegantlion