Menu

Would you let your daughter wear this to homecoming?

Would you let your high school dd wear this to homecoming?  

1. 1. Would you let your high school dd wear this to homecoming?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. Too short.

:iagree: I don't think girls and women have to dress like sex kittens. One can dress more modestly and look attractive IMHO.

OTOH if the dress were a little longer, then I would have no problem. I get more bent out of shape by very high heels since they are impossible to walk in and I think are totally unnecessary to wear to be attractive.

Edited by priscilla

I voted yes - but that yes is assuming my daughter does not have model proportions! On a shorter girl, I think it'd probably be fine (probably just above the knee). And it'd also be dependent on how much cleavage it showed, but, again, on a smaller girl it would probably be fine.

I guess it's a conditional "yes". :)

I think it's super-cute, but I agree with others that I would not order it online if they don't allow refunds or exchanges. You never know if it will fit or if it will be flattering on your DD's body, and I'm sure that's a lot of $$$ to shell out for a dress that might not work.

I haven't read the other replies yet, but I'm usually of the opinion that a dress should either be strapless or short, but not both. I like to only show skin in one area. If the dress is truly this short, then I wouldn't get it since it's strapless. I don't have a problem with bare shoulders or legs, but both seems too under-dressed, to me.

I would have to see it on. The model pictures often look so different from what the dress actually looks like on that I would reserve judgment until I saw it in person.

:iagree: The model looks really tall! It's cute but really short on that girl.

I would have to see it on. The model pictures often look so different from what the dress actually looks like on that I would reserve judgment until I saw it in person.

:iagree:

Models tend to be much longer in the legs and torso, which may be creating the too short appearance.

I'd email the vendor and find out how long the dress is from waist to hem. They should be able to tell you that in case you do want to consider this (rather than flat out saying NO). Then you could compare that to your daughter. That model could be nearly 6 foot tall. If your daughter is only 5'4", the dress will fit very differently (and that might change her mind, too).

If you're of the "not a chance, darling" and she's campaigning for it, you could tell her it's a fine choice, as long as she wears bike shorts underneath :lol:

I haven't read the other replies yet, but I'm usually of the opinion that a dress should either be strapless or short, but not both. I like to only show skin in one area. If the dress is truly this short, then I wouldn't get it since it's strapless. I don't have a problem with bare shoulders or legs, but both seems too under-dressed, to me.

True, for those of us over the age of 20ish. But the short skirt/strapless thing is very much in style right now for the high school set. It would look completely ridiculous on most of us, but so would a lot of what my teenagers wear :tongue_smilie:

I have two petite size zero teen daughters. One is 5-1 and weighs about 100lbs. She has short, thin legs, a lean torso and wide shoulders...a dancer's body. I would let her wear this dress in a heartbeat. It would totally flatter her. The other size 0 daughter is an inch shorter, weighs about the same, and has an hourglass figure. Her waist is tiny, but her bust and booty come from her South American daddy's side of the family. She would have to find something less flirty and more elegant to flatter her build.

What is your daughter's body type?

Barb

I'd need to see it on the person.

My youngest son's dgf recently wore a floor length gown to her prom, but for her Junior prom, she wore a short dress. It looked short on the hanger when she brought it over to show me, but it looked perfectly sweet on her.

Edited by LibraryLover

The skirt length is iffy, but I'd be just as worried about it being strapless. I only know a handful of adult women, let alone young women, who can wear a strapless dress without it either being glued on or pulled up every five minutes. How much fun is homecoming going to be if you're doing that little lift and shimmy with your strapless bra the whole time?

:iagree:

I'd let my daughter wear it, but she's built like a ballerina . . . tiny, but with all of her height in her legs. I'm guessing it would come close to her knees. This would look like another dance costume on her and not va va voom AT ALL. She'd probably ask me to sew on spaghetti straps.

I'm wondering how pricey this is that you can find it $40 cheaper anywhere. Are you paying for a brand name? If it had hand-sewn beads or sequins I'd expect a higher price tag, but those flowers don't look that labor intensive to me.

KFP

I don't know. It's pretty short, but my daughter isn't too tall, either. On her, that dress would likely hit lower on the legs.

Also, we've never really had to put limits on the way she dresses. She's got a good head on her shoulders and has rarely given us any reason to worry about her morals. I honestly can't imagine she'd want to wear that one, since it's not her style. But if she really, really wanted to, I don't know that I'd forbid it.

Yep.

But it depends on the kid. Mine is pretty mature for her age.

There's a lot of places I wouldn't let her wear it, though, but she knows that.

The gf of my youngest ds is tiny (and brilliant and mature and got into every excellent college to which she applied -- I hope they marry! lol ). She is maybe 90 lbs? 5'3"? Tiny. She showed me her short Jr Prom dress on the hanger, and I kinda jumped back...lol ...not quite.

I kept my head, however, stammering, "That is so pretty. I want to see it on you!" She put it on and it transformed (for me) from not ok to totally wonderful. It wasn't long, but it looked darling on her. The Jr Prom potos are beautiful and it suited her petite frame.

Edited by LibraryLover

No... for a few reasons. Her frame is so narrow that it would be difficult to keep up a strapless dress, especially moving like she would at a prom. I do realize she is only 10 (I need to update my sig line), but our homeschool group does a family prom at the end of the year and I've seen her "dance", lol! Also, her height is mostly in her torso... she's wearing an adult XS leotard for gymnastics even w/o any hint of a bosom. I think that would make the skirt portion way too short to effectively cover her undies while moving.

I think this dress is beautiful. It struck me as "fairy like", not "lingerie". The dress will be longer on most (models are tall). Spaghetti straps could always be sewn on. The real problem is buying the correct size since there are no returns.

Edited by Jinnah