Menu

It was likely ectopic. Had to get methotrexate shot. :(

Got today's HCG levels back.

They went from 410 last Monday, to 587 last Wednesday, to 589 last Friday, to 665 today.

Because of the way they are rising, but rising slowly, they thought it quite likely the pregnancy is ectopic even though it was too early/levels too low to see anything for sure on ultrasound.

They told me to go get the shot of methotrexate tonight which stops any further growth and will cause my body to reabsorb whatever is there.

I just got back from the hospital/getting the shot. It was so devastating having to go to the maternity ward of all places to get it done. I walked in and saw a new baby being wheeled out of a room. They put me in a room where I could hear a nurse loudly counting as a woman in labor pushed which went on for several minutes and then a baby crying... ugh. This whole thing just sucks so much.

Then they told me that once this is over I should wait 4-6 months to try again to give the tubes a chance to fully heal which is so disappointing, it's been five months of trying already, and now this, and then another 4-6 months of waiting to try, and then who knows how long it will take to conceive again once I DO try... I hoped I could try again sooner. I hate this.

So, I've had the shot. Hopefully I won't have horrid side effects. I have to go to the lab in a week to test my HCG levels again and when they see where they're at then, they will tell me when I should go back to do it again. They have to monitor regularly til my levels go back down to 0.

Sorry for starting yet another thread about my pregnancy saga, just seems like sometimes the updates get lost in the existing longer threads. Thanks again for everyone who has offered support and encouragement through this whole crappy situation.

When I had my ectopic surgery I woke up to the sounds of the maternity ward...I thought I would lose it. I so wish you didn't have to go there of all places for the shot. :(

I've not heard of the 4-6mo time frame. I did get a dye test to see if my tube was open a few months after the ectopic but we didn't wait to ttc before that.

I'm so sorry. Pregnancy loss is hard enough but an ectopic is just devastating. :grouphug:

Awwww, I'm so sorry.

:grouphug:

I posted on your other thread about the methotrexate. We weren't told to wait 4-6 months. We were told to wait a minimum of 3 months because of the effects of the drug on a baby.

And, incase you decide to google ectopics and future pregnancy rates (which I did and got totally freaked out about) ... I conceived at the 3 month mark, had a very early miscarriage, and got pregnant again the next month. That pregnancy is now a healthy 4.5-year old boy. I know a lot of people who have had ectopics and continued on to have normal pregnancies afterward. Don't get discouraged.

I hope that you have as easy of a time with this as you can and that you're able to conceive quickly once you start trying again.

:grouphug:

So sorry you've been going through this.

Ask your docs more about the timing of TTC. What the pp said about effects on baby made sense. Do they want the tube to heal to avoid another ectopic? (On the bright side, the drugs should allow you to save the tube, which should make it easier to conceive than if you'd lost it.)

I am so sorry! :grouphug:

I don't want to add to your heartache right now, but I would ask to have levels tested sooner than 1 week if possible. I say that b/c my ectopic did rupture despite the methotrexate, less than a week after getting the shot. If they won't test, at least be very aware of the signs (which didn't include pain, in my case.)

Not that you should truly worry about that, but do be aware.

And hang on to hope!!! Even after my emergency surgery w/tube removal, I wound up with my own special surprise about 6+9 months ago. ;)

:grouphug::grouphug:

So sorry, Nance. I've always thought they should have a separate gyncology ward for just this reason. I remembe how devastated my ex-boyfriend's sister was when she had to endure 2 days in the hospital after an emergency surgery to remove her tube from an ectopic pregnancy....on the maternity ward....in a room with a new mom and baby. Ugh. So not cool.

I hope your heart heals soon. And I hope when you do start trying again, it will go better for you.

When I had my ectopic surgery I woke up to the sounds of the maternity ward...I thought I would lose it. I so wish you didn't have to go there of all places for the shot. :(

I've not heard of the 4-6mo time frame. I did get a dye test to see if my tube was open a few months after the ectopic but we didn't wait to ttc before that.

I'm so sorry. Pregnancy loss is hard enough but an ectopic is just devastating. :grouphug:

Surgery is different than the med.

I had to have both. First the surgery. Then, when my levels didn't go back to 0, they weren't sure if they'd missed something, or if I'd gotten pregnant again right after and the pregnancy wasn't going right.

2 days before my wedding, I had the methotrexayte. I was told 3 mths before ttc, if I remember correctly, but mine was done via IV, one dose.

It took us over a year, but we had Tazzie. Then 19 mths and 7 days later, Princess...and now expecting 'Tummy' in Nov.

Gosh....so, so sorry. To face losing the pregnancy in the first place..but then to have to go through the whole...mess....:grouphug:

I also want to offer hope after ectopic. I am just about ready to have my 3d healhty, post ectopic baby.....We did have one miscarriage after and then.....just 3 healthy ones....there is hope....

e