Menu

What size house are you hoping/planning on when all the children leave home?

I have been giving this a lot of thought because we currently live in a two story house and I am really starting to have a lot of problems with the stairs. I know that we will have to move to a one story house before and I know that we would like to downsize, hopefully to another state with cheaper housing. Anyhow, I am starting to think about what size I will need and how many rooms and such. I am looking at plans and considering building. Of course, unless the youngest comes back home, I don't see this happening for 6 more school years but you know, I want to be prepared. We will probably need a living room, eat in kitchen or kitchen and dinette, a formal dining room for the library, the master bedroom, a guest room and then a loft, den or other room for an office space plus at least two baths. We currently have four bedrooms, a loft, office, an extra room adjoining the master plus all of the rest so we would be downsizing by at least two bedrooms and one other living space. On the one hand, this seems like way too much space for just two people but on the other hand I am wondering if this would be too small. My hubby would like to keep the piano and we currently each have our own office. I don't know where we would put the piano and I am not sure if we could share office space, plus what happens should I ever have more than one of my children visiting at one time? Is it worth it to have extra bedrooms that might only be utilized once or twice a year? Has anyone else given this any thought or already downsized because some or all children have left home? If so any advice, regrets or things you wish you had done differently?

I've not done this personally. But, I have an aunt and uncle who downsized after having the kids leave the house. But, then those kids had kids. Suddenly their house is too small to host family gatherings. So, they bought a bigger house!

We bought our current house planning to stay in it after retirement. It's big enough that we can host our kids and their families. It'll be a squeeze, but it can be done. But, it's small enough that I can handle the upkeep.

We would still want to live in a fairly decent sized home because dh and I both need a lot of space from each other regularly :) When we were first living together, we spent 6 months in a tiny house with hot pink walls. It was awful and ever since then we knew we needed lots of space. Even before kids.

For example, he watches TV into the early morning wheras I go to bed by 10pm. I do NOT want to hear the television every night.

But..we have a LOT of space right now, even with kids and him working from home...we wouldn't need THIS much space. Yes, I would want a spare bedroom or 2, and right now I have my own bedroom plus an office which is another bedroom. I feel spoilt.

ON my own, I could live in a small place, but with dh..we need more than usual. I guess thats going to be different for everyone.

What size house are you hoping/planning on when all the children leave home?

I don't know yet, but I would take into consideration what Jennifer mentioned--grown kids, their spouses & kids coming to visit. I know we won't do what my in-laws did...they just built a house 2-3 years ago--a 2 story with finished walk-out basement--very nice, but there's no 1st floor bedroom, it has a 2nd floor laundry, which I'm sure is very nice now, but both of those would be problems later in life when they can't manage the stairs as much, and their house is on a pretty steep hill, which they are in the process of terracing. They are both 63. IMO, a 1 story house with finished basement would be better, or if they have to have a 2 story, then it should include a 1st floor bedroom with full bath (they could use the room as a den or something for now, but it would be available later when they need it as a bedroom).

I doubt will downsize. Probably get a house with a master on the main floor though. I want a guestroom for each child so that at holidays, there is a place for all. Plus a large kitchen, and dining room. Room for all to be comfortable.

Expecting family only as guests, my mother designed a house with a modest master and a smaller sewing room on the main floor, and the upstairs as a narrower long single room "dorm" with a bath/shower at the top of the stairs just outside the dorm room, and picture windows (triangle shaped to fit with the room) at the other end. We usually visited one family at a time, and she put in 4 full/queen beds in the dormer. The rest of the time the place was shut up had minimal dust etc. She had linoleum down and it was easy to clean. Worked for us for years.

I want to be able to have ALL of my children visit at once. I want to have a place for them to come home to and feel comfortable in if they have the need too. I don't think I could stand to live in a house that couldn't fit all of my children.

I never had more than five living at home at one time and even then it was a stretch to fit them all. Now all of the ones who left home have significant others and some have children. I don't know that I could afford or maintain a house big enough to house them all. :001_smile:

Expecting family only as guests, my mother designed a house with a modest master and a smaller sewing room on the main floor, and the upstairs as a narrower long single room "dorm" with a bath/shower at the top of the stairs just outside the dorm room, and picture windows (triangle shaped to fit with the room) at the other end. We usually visited one family at a time, and she put in 4 full/queen beds in the dormer. The rest of the time the place was shut up had minimal dust etc. She had linoleum down and it was easy to clean. Worked for us for years.

That sounds like an interesting idea, kind of like camp for families. Of course, I would have to two rooms to accomadate the sleepers and the non-sleepers because if the non-sleepers bunk together, they would be up all night. I know because when I go to visit my dd in GA we are all there and most of us don't hit the bed until after 3:00 AM.

at some of Sarah Susanka's books about not-so-big houses. Her designs and ideas are just smart. About using spaces for the way we live. I'm keeping a big portfolio/sketchbook for a dream house that is not bigger, but smarter/more useful spaces. I do want each child to always have a room to call his/her own, too. I don't think I ever want a formal dining or living room....wasted space. I use three dining spaces, and never use the dining room. Oddly, I never liked the great-room idea of a kitchen/eating space/den combined kind of area, but we do have an enclosed porch, sun-room now, 38' X 12', the is a TV room, and family dining area. Funny how spaces end up getting used. I rip ideas out of magazines, so have way too many things I would want in a new house, so not sure how it would all work.

Fun to daydream!

LBS

My dh drew up plans for our retirement home. It will be a cape without dormers, 3 foot wall instead. He feels that dormers waste a lot of space. Our master bedroom and a 2nd bedroom will be on the 1st floor. The 2nd floor will be 2 large bedrooms with a bath in the middle. The stairs will be in a closet, so we can close the door and turn off the furnace until we need it. The house works out to be 1500 sq ft on the 1st floor and a little less than that for the 2nd.

Kim

We're still early in on this game of parenting, as our oldest is a teenager, but I always want to have enough room to have my adult kids/families live with us temporarily as needed, as well as to host them comfortably when they are adults with families. Our current home is big enough to do so, and all of the important living areas are downstairs, with only a bonus room upstairs so stairs are not an issue. So I hope we can stay as long as we are able to in the house we have raised our kids in. No one can predict future needs, of course.

Yes. If we need it, we can turn the computer/den into a bedroom. It has two doors and a closet. It was probably a bedroom when the house was built 100 years ago.

We're still early in on this game of parenting, as our oldest is a teenager, but I always want to have enough room to have my adult kids/families live with us temporarily as needed, as well as to host them comfortably when they are adults with families. Our current home is big enough to do so, and all of the important living areas are downstairs, with only a bonus room upstairs so stairs are not an issue. So I hope we can stay as long as we are able to in the house we have raised our kids in. No one can predict future needs, of course.

I read that as "horse" and I was thinking "Oh, a gelding just under 16h would be nice...".

:D

We plan on staying here. This place is currently 2000 sf with 5 br/3 bath. If we were to add on, it could easily support another family or two (and give each their privacy).

My parents downsized after my youngest brother moved out and it's a good thing they did because that was 2006, right about the peak of the market. The smaller home they own now has decreased less in value than the one they sold (-14% vs. -22%). Plus it costs a lot less in the utilities, property taxes, etc.

We currently have four bedrooms on second floor, a bedroom in basement for nephews, and we also converted the dining room (on main floor) into a bedroom a few years ago for when my mother moved in with us temporarily (she couldn't do stairs).

Our retirement home likely it will be a 2-3 bedroom ranch with a basement. We will finish the basement so half would be used as a guest room or two. Dh and I will have our own bedrooms (he snores horribly, he prefers to sleep with TV on, and I like it colder in bedroom so we sleep separate rooms). We would have a dinning room to fit 20 people to eat, a living room, a kitchen that will also fit a breakfast table. Two bathrooms on main floor and one in basement (I love bathrooms!!!!).

A houseboat. We only have one child, and he is always telling me he wants to travel. We want to be able to travel without leaving all the comforts of home, and we want to be on the water, so a houseboat seems like a good choice. We vacationed on one and enjoyed it. When ds leaves the nest we'll rent one for a while to be sure before we take the plunge and buy one.

This is where we are at right now in our life.

Our home is bedroom, 1/5 bath ranch with a bedroom and full bath in the basement that we added over the years.

We are empty nesters now.

3 of our 4 married kids live nearby, so I don't feel the need to have too many guest bedrooms. Only one daughter and family live in another state so having the lower level works for them.

We have always had a guest bedroom as we live in a different state from our families. The boy's old bedroom upstairs is now my office and scrapbooking room.

Mostly the issues we have now are when all the kids are here,there is 15 of us and the grandkids are just gettign started. My dining area is not big enough and my den (TV and game room) is not big enough.

I would love a more open floor plan if we ever decide to move.

We do love our neighborhood and I would have a hard time selling this place and moving on. It's the only place we have lived in for more than 5 years and we are going on 15 here.

But it's obvious as we "mature" that yard work and home repair jobs are becoming harder and harder, especially since DH has had failed back surgery. He does it all now, but it's getting more difficult.

My current goals are to get this house paid off in the next few years and then spend some money on some maintenance free siding, painting, maybe windows, pare down the gardens..that kind of stuff so we can stay here longer.

We also need to update the older bathrooms. We did remodel the kitchen 2 years ago and that is another reason I don't want to move! I love my kitchen.

My situation differs greatly from yours, as we only have four in our family.

We just moved into what I intend to be our forever-home, thinking that it will fit our needs both now and in 30 years. Ranch, 1850 sf, 3 bd/2ba, hardwood floors, widened openings into the living and dining rooms, a very open kitchen with no island or bar to navigate. Most of our square footage is in the living areas: family, living, dining rooms, and kitchen. (Our last home had 40% of the sf in just my kids' bedrooms and bath.) We have a walkout basement that we're planning to finish with at least a large family room and bathroom; if we put a sofa sleeper there, it will double as a large guest area when necessary. Each entrance into the house has just one very low step (maybe 1/3 of a stair step).

We'd also been in the country for the past three years, which I found way too isolating. We're back in the suburbs. I am now grateful to be on public water, close to conveniences, and easily reached by emergency services.

My husband has MS, so I probably consider all of these more than the average person.

I feel like Goldilocks. We've lived in ranches, two stories, smaller houses, bigger houses. This one is juuuuuuust right.

There are also very low steps from the outside into the house. .

Well, we are back to renting so right now I have no clue!

But based on dh and I and how we are changing our lifestyle currently in so many ways I suspect and hope it's small. I expect us to have 2 bedrooms. One will be a guest room. I am open to a 3rd bedroom if used for office/crafts. But otherwise I want an office corner in the main living room for us both. We have one now and like being together.

Ideally I think we only need 1200 or less to live spaciously. And if we went with one bedroom then even smaller. My sister had a condo that was only 700 sq ft but the layout was perfect and I keep that in the back of my mind. But we want small, remote.

If we had both kids and families come visit I would probably have a sleeper sofa or murphy bed. Knowing we aren't going to chose a convenient location for retirement I don't expect my kids to visit often, :tongue_smilie::lol:

Short term I want a two bedroom apartment. One bedroom is for DH and I, the other is a study. No 20 somethings moving home:)

Then once everyone is stable and steady, I want a 4 bedroom. One room is an art studio for DH, one is a study for me, one is a bedroom for the two of us, and one is a proper guest room. Then I want a massive finished attic that is a big loft room with 6 or 8 twin beds and a huge entertainment area with bathrooms off either side. That would be the grandkid space.

My parents essentially have a set up like this at their beach house - minus the huge entertainment area attached to the loft. But the loft thing has been fun. It's not really a "loft" I guess - it's a third floor. They have multiple beds in it, and the kids love it. We all like that each generation has a floor. My Mom's bedroom is on the main living floor, the parental floor is downstairs with bedrooms for each of us, and then there is the third floor with a massive "all welcome" dormitory.

Ideally, I think I'd still want a large house (not that I have one now :glare:) that is set up for daily living on the first floor with extra bedrooms on the second. I'd "shut down" the second floor if visits were infrequent and deal with dusting and linens as-needed.

Dream-ideal would be an elevator. My aunt had a space built in to her house to add an elevator if it;s ever needed down the road. All of her bedrooms are on the second floor.

This is what I want to do. Love the idea.

We will probably have a house around 3,000 sq. ft. It will either be a main-floor master with 3 bedrooms/2 baths up, or be a one-story with 3 bedrooms on the main floor (nice sized bedrooms with baths), and one suite up. The house will be on a basement.

I have a few different designs. All of them have a generous kitchen with one main living area, and a nice sized dining room.

The only "catch" in our plan is if my parents do come to live with us (they can't decide...lol). That would add a formal dining room (because my mom *loves* her dining room set). That would add another 14x18 room to the main floor.

The main things we'll need are 4 Bedrooms and at least 3.5 bathrooms on the main lliving areas. The basement is what gives us flexibility for family visits.

We are keeping the house we have unless economy hits us hard. We have a plan in place to be able to keep our house. Our kids want LOTS of kids so we will need to keep it due to Christmas and Thanksgiving gatherings and whatever else. They want to live near us so probably have to count on Sunday visits. :D

I'm wondering the same thing here. We currently have a two-story four bedroom with an extra computer room/den and a full basement. One story will be a must, and I'm thinking of a small ranch like my mom and dad's. Their home is a three-bed, two bath and I think we (family of four) could live comfortably there now. I'll also want a smaller yard with minimal maintenance, so a warmer climate without snow-blower and shoveling would be really nice too. (I would rather keep the 2 &1/2 baths though.)

Open log cabin with loft bedroom.

1,000 square feet on the lower level would be great with our bedroom above.

DH and I don't love a lot of space nor the effort to maintain it.

But the really question is do we really think we'll EVER be alone? My mind can't wrap around that! ;)

One of my dc has developmental disabilities. It is likely he will be able to work in low wage competitive employment, but I don't see him moving out.

If we had the chance to change our housing situation when the other dc move on, I would like to go from 3 levels to 2 or 1. I would like to have a garage where dh can put a work bench. I would like an in-law suite for my youngest so can get a little feel of independent adult life.

This home needs to have good access to public transit and walking to shopping and recreation. I believe we will stay in the same town we are in now, so this last requirement is already met. I don't think ds will have a driver's license or car so this is important to him. However, I also believe that in another 30 years dh and I will need to consider what "aging in place" really means. That may mean not driving. Living in a community that makes not driving also not isolating is important.

We have already downsized from a larger two story house that had a formal dining room and a den along with a partly finished basement and attic to a 1200sf mobile home when the five oldest moved out. I can't even begin to describe how much easier it has been to have everything on one floor, especially the laundry. It is also much, much easier to clean. Four of our adult kids live nearby so I am not at all concerned with having a guest room or place for people to stay. The fifth has a husband in the service so they only get back here once a year or so and prefer to rent a cabin (we live in a recreational type area) on their own. Personally I do not want anyone to move back home so I am not planning to maintain any extra space for that.

We have one more about to move out soon. We are looking at buying some land in a few years and building a tiny strawbale house with a loft for the remaining kids and an open floor plan. The smaller the better! Definitely less than 800sf. Probably much less. Right now it may seem tight to have five kids in a mobile home but I think it is too big, actually. For example, our master bedroom isn't even used all day so that is wasted space to heat and clean. There are two full bathrooms, again wasted space.

We spend most of our time in the kitchen and living room, and as for needing space most of the time the kids are either sitting next to me or ON me, so apparently they don't need any extra space. As long as there is enough room for everyone to sit in the main room we are good, as far as I am concerned. Right now we have bean bags and a large ottoman in the living room for seating when guests come over and our visiting kids are fine with sitting on cushions on the floor. The bedrooms are just that, entire rooms for just beds and dressers. Wasted space to heat and clean, again. The only one who holes up in one is the 19 year old. All the books, games, and toys are in the living room.

I have been looking at tiny houses and tiny house floorplans online, and sketching out some ideas of my own for living in a smaller, multiuse space. It would certainly be more sustainable and more practical and cost less in terms of utilities and such. Dh and I are perfectly happy living physically close together, and after that last kid is out on his own we would probably find the 600 or 800sf too big for us.

NO IDEA!

It will most certainly depend on where we are. I would like to move back West, which will mean higher housing costs and a smaller house overall. However, if we stay in the SouthEast, we can have a larger house.

Who knows.

(see my other thread) DH would like to buy 5-10 acres and have a house on it and maybe a guest house or additional living space/mother in law suite.

I can't even tell you what we will be doing 3 years from now.....so no idea what we will be doing 20-25 years from now in retirement, if we retire!

Dawn

Well - for at least the first ten years after the kiddos move out, we will be living in a 42 foot catamaran :)

We may live on it longer - it depends on how far we get in ten years.

We have 3000 sq ft now, and it's nice for a family, but I would never want this much space for the two of us.

After the 10 years or so on the boat, we plan on living in a small 1 bedroom home - about 1000 sq ft, with a 2 car garage.

A little more than a 1/3 of that is going to be a wonderful master suite :) - jacuzzi tub, etc.

We'll have room for a nice, open kitchen, dining room, living area with a fold out couch for anyone who wants to come stay.

This is being built on my in-laws 4 acres - about 300 yards from their house, as I am going to be taking care of them and their house when they become unable to manage. Their house is 3000 sq ft, 5 bedrooms - so our "house guests" - ie the kids and their kids - will be most likely staying over there anyway.

I have no idea where we will be at that time, either.

My parents downsized, and made it pretty impossible for anyone to stay with them, but they live on wheels, and visit us instead! They have told my brothers and me for YEARS that whenever we move, it should have enough room for their RV.

we intend to stay in this house as long as we possibly can. I do worry about stairs when older since my mother started to struggle with stairs in her early 60's and was dead by 68. I fear I could end up like her. Still, we have the perfect house for a wheelchair. It's all open and very spacious. Our bedroom is upstairs so we'd either put in a chair lift for the stairwell or an elevator, which we have room to put one in.

I do worry about cleaning a house so big. I don't know the exact sf of our house but I guess it's just under 3500 sf. We have four bedrooms upstairs, one very large which could house many beds, and a finished, large room in the basement. I also worry about all the work outside and am simplifying garden beds and eliminating some. We also do all our snow plowing but that should be easy until dh is too old to drive. Then there's maintenance on the barn/carriage house. I hope we will be able to do thsi a long time. Dh has European blood and is strong as an ox. I believe he'll be active for a very long time, just like his mother!

I would have to hire out twice per year to clean the beams and wash the windows. I'm hoping that by keeping myself healthy, eating well and exercising we can be in our home another 25 years.

I've not done this personally. But, I have an aunt and uncle who downsized after having the kids leave the house. But, then those kids had kids. Suddenly their house is too small to host family gatherings. So, they bought a bigger house!

We bought our current house planning to stay in it after retirement. It's big enough that we can host our kids and their families. It'll be a squeeze, but it can be done. But, it's small enough that I can handle the upkeep.

:iagree:

My parents downsized with retirement years in mind - never dreaming that their ONLY child would have four of her own. It's tough to fit us all and eventually we'll have great-grandchildren in the mix.

My "forever" dream house is similar in size to my house now (about 3700sq. feet including finished dungeon, I mean basement!) but I'd like to have a finished walk-out basement. It would also have about 2 acres of land.

Dh and dream about the days of having kids and grandkids coming and having space or everyone.

We rent right now but if we get PCSed to one place this summer, we will be buying a home for the next 10 years. (I am retired from homeschooling way before those ten years are up). Only one child will be living in that home all the time and that will be only for a few more years until she graduates and goes to college. THe house we are eyeing is about 3600 sq. ft. on one level with a double garage with workshop area. It has an easy care landscape that still gives me plenty to do in gardening without lots of chores like leaf raking or mowing. I assume that when we move again after that ten years, we would also move to another similar size home on a single level again.

My grandparents had a similar concept, only separate from the house. They had retired to an old farmhouse in Wisconsin. My uncle and father built a "bunkhouse" one summer- open living area downstairs with small kitchen area, 3/4 bath, and bedding area upstairs. It was like a cabin- we would turn on the water and air it out when we went to visit, and close it up when we left. It was great fun.

Yep. I was just at my sister's house for the weekend. Their grown children are always there with their spouses and friends (one son, a single dad, lives there with his 4 year old daughter). They are actually planning a remodel that will enlarge their dining and kitchen and give them a second living area. The house is too small for all the adults that are hanging out there all the time.

I think that this is a good problem to have, and plan to stay in this house if we can - our bedroom is downstairs, so we could basically shut down the upstairs when we are alone and the downstairs would be ideal for the two of us.

Downstairs we have: Master bedroom and bath, laundry, kitchen, living, dining, guest bedroom and bath (Bud's office) and office (my office).

Upstairs we have: Two bedrooms, a bath, gameroom and media room with snack bar with mini-fridge and microwave. The upstairs could be a separate long-term guest suite if need be.

ETA: My kids love going to Aunt Sharon's house and all the busy-ness and crowd around them. They love camping out in the living room. They don't notice that it's cramped - they just notice the good times and love in that house. So, the extra room is really for my sister and her dh to keep their sanity more than anything else!

Edited by Amy loves Bud