Menu

Got word about my son's accident report

We have been waiting and waiting for an accident report. On one hand I want it and on the other hand - it terrifies me. An Alaska lawyer called us last night to say it had been released. The Army will conduct another investigation on their own and then they are supposed to review it with us. This attorney is mailing me a copy without the pictures. I asked that he not send pictures and he said he took them out, but I am terrified there will be a mistake. I am so afraid of seeing my sweet child after this horrific accident. My friend has offered to come over and open it for me. She is just amazing. The lawyer told me some of what we already knew and a little more we didn't. Basically, the 18 year old girl, Alecia had just gotten the car at the beginning of May. She had a permit - no license. She was driving a car that somebody had either given or lent to her. It was not in her name, nor was the insurance. She was pulled over 4 days prior to the accident and ticketed. They could have impounded the car because she was driving without a license. That day, she drove about 4 or 5 hours from her hometown to my son's military base. She was pulled over for driving recklessly. She called my son to get herself released to drive. He came to get her, they drove away. At some point, he changes drivers with her. Supposedly, she passed and hit the semi 30 minutes later. I am so angry that the officer did not use his legal right to impound her car. I am so angry my son let her drive. I am so angry that I am angry with my son because he is gone and how awful is it that I am mad at him? The officer had this against her - ticketed 4 days ealier, no license, no insurance because he had no license, not driving her own car, 4-5 hours from her home (showing this wasn't a quick trip to the store). I don't know why I am writing this here. I am just so tired and my heart hurts so much.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:grouphug:

My aunt was killed in a car accident 25 years ago, and it still hurts. I was mad at the people at the party who served the alcohol. I was mad at her for drinking. I was mad at her fiance for drinking and then still thinking he was less drunk than her and driving and mad at her for letting him. I was just mad. And then very, very sad. I have forgiven them, and quite frankly God, who I was probably the most mad at. But it took a very long time. And I still am sad on holidays, her birthday, and the anniversary of day it happened.

All this to say that I still can't imagine your pain, anger and frustration. I can empathize, but I know it isn't the same. But I am praying for you.

I am so sorry this happened to you and your son and his friend.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Sending you :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: and prayers.

Of course, you are angry. People did things wrong and your son paid the ultimate price for it. And I understand why you would feel angry with your son, and I also know that the anger toward him will pass. You're hurt beyond belief, and you need to lash out at someone. And in this case, your anger is totally justified. But please, remember that this stupid girl must have been very persuasive, because she was able to weasel out of a lot of trouble with more people than just your poor, kind ds, so it's not really surprising that he would have ended up letting her drive.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Cat

oh, bless you. my heart goes out to you....:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:
I couldn't think of anything better to say. I will remember you in my prayers.

Acts24:15 and I have hope toward God, which hope these [men] themselves also entertain, that there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous.

Job 14:

13 O that in She´ol you would conceal me,

That you would set a time limit for me and remember me!

14 If an able-bodied man dies can he live again?

All the days of my compulsory service I shall wait,

Until my relief comes.

15 You will call, and I myself shall answer you.

For the work of your hands you will have a yearning.

Kari, I am so very sorry. :grouphug: I cannot imagine your pain. It is perfectly okay to feel all this anger. In fact, it is good for you to feel it. It's one of the stages of grieving. Let the anger flow; let the tears flow... as much as it hurts, and you are tired, let it out. You will be healthier in the long run. We are all here to support you, and we'll listen as you pour your heart out. No mother should have to feel this pain. I am still praying for you. :grouphug:

Edited by jenL