Menu

Upgrading your wedding bands?

Would you upgrade your engagement/wedding rings?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Would you upgrade your engagement/wedding rings?

• I have already upgraded my rings, hooray!
    • I plan to upgrade my rings at some point.
    • I'd love to upgrade my rings, except for the financial aspect.
    • I wouldn't mind upgrading, if dh surprised me and I didn't have to think about the finances.
    • I would like to "upgrade" with a flashy-looking ring that is actually inexpensive.
    • I'd like to upgrade both my rings and dh's ring.
    • I am torn on the issue.
    • I am too attached, I don't want to upgrade (but I might like an additional ring!)
    • I just like to vote in polls, I have no opinion.
    • Other.

DH and I are closing in on our 20th anniversary (17 right now). I received a beautiful ring for my right hand for our 10th anniversary. But, we're reaching an age where lots of couples have updated their wedding rings.

My own grandmother upgraded her rings at one point, she had her original rings melted down into a gold nugget pendant and had the diamonds set into it. That way, she could still wear it.

I think I might be too sentimentally attached to my original engagement and wedding rings to upgrade.

What does everyone else think?

Err...I voted "I am too attached, I don't want to upgrade (but I might like an additional ring!)" Even though I already have another ring. :)

Edited by Mrs Mungo

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My husband bought me an anniversary band for our 10th. It fits with my wedding band and my engagement solitare.

I am far too attached to my wedding set to upgrade or replace it in any way. That he wanted to add to it, however, was very sweet.

I am far to attached to replace it! It is very simple, but I think that reflects where we were at that point in our lives. We were young, just getting started financially, and it was what we could afford at the time. And I love that!

I don't have an engagement ring, just a simple wedding band, and I LOVE it. I don't want a solitaire or anything fancy right now with a little one to tend to, but when we get to one of the "biggie" anniversaries I wouldn't mind if DH gave me "a little something".

I'm way too attached to my ring. In addition to the sentimental value, it is a vintage 1920's ring with hand-etched filigree work. I love it, and it really can't be replaced.

If my DH wanted to buy me jewelry for a major anniversary, I would rather have a pendant, or earrings, or something unique that I don't already have. I already have a wedding ring. KWIM?

I love my wedding band, and used to have an engagement ring that matched but I some how lost that ring with in the first three months we were here in Georgia. Dh bought me a new engagement ring soon afterwards but he wants to buy a different one this year (5 years) that matches my wedding band better.

I would never change my rings. Dh and I new from the first week we met, that we would get married. We met on Monday and by Saturday we were discussing babies names. He didn't ask me to marry him, we just knew.

Seven months later, dh's father proposed to us. As in "I can get a good deal on a repo trailer. Are you going to get married anytime soon?" We set the date for four months later. My father threatened me with my life if I gave any less than four months notice, so we gave four months.

Dh and I were very poor. He was working part time and going to school. I was going to school. I could have either an engagement ring or a wedding ring. I chose the wedding ring.

Our rings are like no other. Dh and I made them ourselves. I made his and he made mine. Dh's father had a friend who had a dental lab and made gold teeth. He sold us the little gold bars and and let us use his equipment. What is written in our rings was not engraved. It was cut in the wax by dh and I and is molded in the gold.

When our first anniversary came around, dh and I were still very poor. Still in school and both of us working two part time jobs apiece. Dh scraped together everything he could and bought me my engagement ring. It is a very simple gold band with a single cubic zirconia. That ring means the world to me. Dh ate noodles and beans three times a day and even did without to get it for me.

I will not part with either of my rings and have no need for another.

Melinda

DH and I are closing in on our 20th anniversary (17 right now). I received a beautiful ring for my right hand for our 10th anniversary. But, we're reaching an age where lots of couples have updated their wedding rings.

My own grandmother upgraded her rings at one point, she had her original rings melted down into a gold nugget pendant and had the diamonds set into it. That way, she could still wear it.

I think I might be too sentimentally attached to my original engagement and wedding rings to upgrade.

What does everyone else think?

Err...I voted "I am too attached, I don't want to upgrade (but I might like an additional ring!)" Even though I already have another ring. :)

Nah, I don't need another ring. This one's just fine. It's half sentimental and half practical. I also don't want to spend money on that, when I've already got a perfectly good ring.

I'm also not into the whole ring thing. I greatly dislike the idea of branding a woman with an engagement ring, and told dh I'd flat out walk if insisted on one. I only agreed to a wedding ring because he has to wear one, too. Goose, gander, and all that.

I voted other. I don't get "upgrading" a wedding ring... unless you're getting married again, the new one can't be the wedding ring. But I don't think I'm sentimental about it, a ring is a ring is a ring. I'm also not into jewelry so I guess I'm unusual in that respect.

I didn't have an "engagement ring" for many years after we were married. We both just had wide wedding bands. My DH lost his original band in the water during a search and rescue mission while in the service soon after we were married. We didn't have the finances to replace it so he wore an inexpensive ring for years. On our 15th anniversary I replaced his with a new band, they still make the match to mine after all these years. ;) I now wear a diamond with my band. I would not replace our bands for anything but my DH is talking about adding to my set or buying me a ring for my right hand as we approach our 20th anniversary. (We are at our 17th now too!)

I voted other because I'm too attached, and I don't want another ring. I love my rings though they are very simple. During the last 19 years, I've only taken them off the last few weeks of pregnancies (afraid I would swell) and when I got stung on that finger by a yellow jacket. Thankfully I thought to get them off before it started swelling.

Can I share a story, though, while we are on the topic of rings? My favorite ring is on my pinky finger beside my wedding rings. My dh gave me a small ruby gemstone on the night of our wedding rehearsal. He read the scripture about a wife being worth more than rubies. When he was a little boy, he saved pennies to buy his wife a wedding present, and he bought the stone with those actual pennies. I had it set into a heart ring after we were married. It is by far my favorite!

We married young and broke. My original set was quality, but tiny and yellow gold. I have since quit wearing yellow and only wear white gold/ silver or platinum. It fits better with my "colors". LOL Anyway, I could never have traded in my original set. I will keep them forever. My DH did buy me a new set for our 20th wedding anniversary in platinum with a gorgeous 1 ct. diamond and cute little diamonds in the band. (I got a pendant and earrings to match too!) The diamonds in my new wedding band are larger then my original engagement ring diamond. LOL. I LOVE it! But I agree, I would never give up my original set. It means the world to me and I'd rather have it then the new one if it came down to a choice. :001_smile:

My hubby and oldest dd's surprised me for my 35th birthday (a LONG time ago!). I was recovering from anorexia when DH and I married--and after 2 children it goes to say I was no longer 'anorexic'!!! I wore my rings around my neck on a gold chain... they would not even fit on my pinky!

When my mom died I inherited her wedding set. Now I have 3 sets and 3 daughters... each will inherit a set from me (oldest gets to choose first).

I really love my original 'starving married college student' wedding set. We actually picked it out in high school on our first not-really-a-date date. DH had given me a ride to a movie and while we were waiting for our friends to meet us at the the theater (in a mall) he went into a jewelry store to purchase a new gold chain... I like any 'normal' hormonal 16yr old girl went to look at the wedding sets... he made his purchase and then came up to me--he said he liked 'round' diamonds... I said I liked marquee... we decided on a set with an oval cut diamond.. 2 years later he proposed with that exact ring!

I voted other because I am waiting for gold prices to come down to replace the wedding ring I lost when my arthritis got better temporarily and the ring became too big and fell off somewhere. We just have gold bands. Dh still has his original one. I was on my second since my arthritis had changed my hands. When I do get one, it will be my third but still a plain gold band. DH doesn't want to get it for me since he thinks it isn't fancy enough so instead of a wedding band, I have been getting all kinds of other jewelry. I think I have to wait until the economy gets better before gold prices come down some.

I love my ring, even though I can't wear it because it needs repair.

If that repair included substituting a diamond where I currently have the teeniest diamond chip known to man, I wouldn't complain. ;)

ETA: I'm not a big jewelry gal, and I usually go for things that are both traditional and understated. My wedding ring is about the only jewelry I actually wear. It would be ok with me if it were a little nicer while still being *my* ring.

Edited by Julie in CA

I voted other.

Bud's wedding band fell apart a few years back. It was yellow gold with platinum bands inset into it. Well it was apparently held together by pressure and Bud liked to manipulate it so that it wasn't quite a circle - flatter on the palmside- and finally the platinum bands came out. Bummer.

I bought him a new one for our anniversary a few years ago, also gold and platinum but not the same style, so it should hold together.

My engagement ring is sapphire and diamond, and I chose a wedding band that was to be worn alone - so the engagement ring got moved to my right hand. My band was plain gold, with platinum in the center and fairly wide. When I was in residency it was the only jewelry I wore to work, and I tied it to my scrub pants drawstring when I was in surgery. Well, one day I came out of surgery and it was gone, probably in an incinerator somewhere.

I was pregnant with Peyton at the time, so after she was born Bud bought me a David Yurman ring with a peridot as a baby gift. I wear that instead of a wedding band.

I really miss my band, though, it was very simple and elegant and really suited my style and personality. I wouldn't have replaced it had I not lost it.

Can I share a story, though, while we are on the topic of rings? My favorite ring is on my pinky finger beside my wedding rings. My dh gave me a small ruby gemstone on the night of our wedding rehearsal. He read the scripture about a wife being worth more than rubies. When he was a little boy, he saved pennies to buy his wife a wedding present, and he bought the stone with those actual pennies. I had it set into a heart ring after we were married. It is by far my favorite!

Aw, that is very sweet!!! :001_wub:

I've never in my life heard of someone "updating" a wedding ring. What does that mean? Buying a new one entirely? Why? Or does it mean adding to what you already have? In which case, I ask again...why? I dunno, I'm not a big ring person, as evidenced by the fact that Hans & I don't even have our rings any more. (They were nice, I have to say.) If I were you, I'd spend the money on an experience together, not a material item.

We have been married 22 years, and we upgraded my rings at our 10 year mark. I have the old set in my jewelry box. Dh is very attached to them because they belonged to his favorite g'ma, but I never met her and am not attached to them.

I was too attached to my wedding set to upgrade. For our 10th anniversary dh bought me a ring guard. It's a third ring that fits above my wedding and engagement bands. There are two pear shaped diamonds that wrap around my original diamond and make it look bigger/dressier.

For our 20th anniversary I got a "right hand ring". These are the only rings I own.

I voted that I already upgraded, hooray. However, I only upgraded because my original setting was damaged and couldn't be repaired. I liked it and I miss it sometimes.

ETA: I only upgraded the setting, not the diamond. I love the diamond and won't ever upgrade it.

I voted for "too attached". I love my rings (now, there was a point when I was young that I wanted to getthe big, flashy ring, but no more).

What I would like to do for our 20th (in Jan.) is to renew our vows. Dh has no desire to do that, though. Maybe I can convince him to take a trip -- that would be good, too.

We upgraded ours on our 20th. My original 'diamond' was actually some very small diamond pieces that had been set to look like one diamond. Our jeweler took those small diamond pieces and set them in a semi-circle between the engagement ring and wedding band. He then made it one ring (as the shanks were always rubbing together and we were forever having to have them replaced.) I then got a real 3/4 carat diamond to take the place of the small diamonds.

So I was able to upgrade and still have all the pieces of the original set. I thought it was extremely creative of our jeweler.

I got my engagement ring right out of high school. Two kids and a couple years later, I had to get the engagement band cut off. I bought myself a plain band that I wear, but I haven't worn my "real" set in three years. I can't wait for the day that we can get it fixed. It will seem like new to me!!!

I love mine and can't imagine upgrading it anytime soon. My mom did that and once she did it once, she was always talking about what she would do with it next. It seemed to lose a lot of the sentimental value.

For our 15th anniversary, DH took my engagement ring and promised me he wouldn't ruin it. He had a new setting made, VERY similar to the old except he added matching diamonds on each side of my original engagement diamond. It's a gorgeous ring and I love that nothing that I loved about the original ring was lost. It also works perfectly with my wedding band.

I would never upgrade my wedding ring, it's very special to me.

I'd love to upgrade my engagement ring, it's a .7ct solitare, I'd love to have it made into a 3 diamond ring with a 1ct centre diamond and another .7ct diamond. It is beautiful just as it is, but I've wanted to upgrade it for many years.

I wouldn't upgrade my eternity ring, it's beautiful.

I voted "I'm too attached..." because he got me exactly what I asked for so I never had any reason to want something else. I did have to have my rings cut off last summer because my hands swelled really bad, and when they did that they chopped out part of the engraving inside my band when they fixed it. I'd like to have the rest buffed out and have the engraving redone. I don't need another ring for my other had because my kids bought me a silver Triquetra (celtic trinity knot) ring for my right hand for my birthday which is coming up on Saturday. I love it because the kids said it reminds them of our family, the three interlocking ovals are the kids and the circle around them is like me and dh holding them close and keeping them safe. :001_smile:

I voted other. I have no desire to upgrade and I don't really want anymore rings either. I'm not big on jewelry. Although I do need to replace my wedding band because I have somehow misplaced my wedding band and my dh will flip out when he finds out that I lost another piece of jewelry...I lost my engagement ring a few years ago!

I like my ring. We did not go with plain bands. My ring has sentimental value, but it isn't a this-is-the-ring-dh-gave-me-at-our-wedding-and-I'm-not-trading-it-in-for-anything sentiment. I wouldn't be opposed to an upgrade, but I really like the ring I have. Can I wear both?

We chose very simple wedding bands when we got married, with the goal of upgrading mine (DH is a cop, he doesn't need bling) at some point. There's a delicate white gold band with tiny diamonds that looks beautiful with my engagement ring. I'm going to drop hints that I'll want it in 5 more years. ;)

I got a larger stone/ring, but I kept my original as well. I did "upgrade" the band on my original diamond wedding ring.

I haven't read the other replies, but it would be easy to take the diamond from your original wedding ring and have it made into a drop/pendant. That way you would still have the stone, but then you could get a new wedding set. Trade-in values are not super high on diamonds anyway.

I am not super sentimental. Bigger is better, baby! :D tee-hee

I voted other.

I had one ring. DH gave it to me when we got engaged. We didn't add a ring when we got married.

But I lost it five years ago. (Took it off when I was pregnant because my fingers were swelling. When I went to put it on again after the baby was born, it was gone. I think a kid got into it and dropped it under the bed or something and it got vacuumed up.)

We just (last month) replaced it with a small band. We didn't go with something bigger or fancier because, well, my track record for keeping rings isn't that great.

I still miss my original ring.