Menu

What are you reading aloud with your children?

We just finished The Story of Doctor Dolittle last week. The kids really enjoyed it!

We are also reading a smattering of books that go along with SOTW Volume 2. (Marguerite Makes a Book was one that we read aloud last week and it was enjoyable.)

I think our next read aloud will be Don Quixote (retold by Martin Jenkins). (Thanks to Heidi at Mt. Hope Chronicles for the recommendation on her blog!)

Edited by seewah

Slogging thru Hans Brinker, just started Pirate Diary (if you've read Castle Diary, this one is just as good! Great for SOTW 3 time period).

Slogging! No joke. That book was a publishing sensation when it first came out, but frankly, I don't think it stands the test of time. Interesting from an historical point of view, to think about what appealed to readers at the time, but wow. Hard to get through.

My boys are older but we still read aloud. We're on a second whirl through The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff. (Honestly, she's kinda ruined us for other writers of historical fiction, which, in comparison, seem pretty "cheese factory," as my boys will say.) We're also listening to the CD of Voyage of the Narwhal by Andrea Barrett (?), which is quite gripping.

Just starting Little House in the Big Woods. I'm excited about it. We're also readin Where the Sidewalk Ends and just finished ANOTHER Magic Tree House. Hopefully the kids won't pick out many more of those at the library ... at least for a week!

I've been doing a lot of audio books for the littles. We just finished Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and now we're listening to Peter Pan. I've also been reading them short stories out of The Blue Fairy Book and a million other picture books.

I'm reading The Golden Goblet with my oldest and also finishing up Marley and Me with all of them.

:D I know you didn't ask for all of this, but here it is:

We're reading (aloud) Little Pilgrim's Progress, by Helen Taylor. Our current audio book selections are The Courage of Sarah Noble, The Door in the Wall, and From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler.

Independently, my DS is reading The Landing of the Pilgrims (for school) and he is on the third book of the Percy Jackson series. DD just read Pinky Pye and is now reading Ginger Pye. Other DD is working through the Dick-King Smith books.

I just finished reading Sophie Kinsella's new book, Twenties Girl, and The Good Earth. Not sure what I'll read next...

Lot's of variety here :)

...any suggestions for one more read aloud in the Middle Ages?

I haven't read these yet, just found them on various lists ...

Otto of the Silver Hand

The Great and Terrible Quest

A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver

The Ramsay Scallop

The Road to Damietta

The Canterbury Tales

Adam of the Road

The Trumpeter of Krakow

The Midwife's Apprentice (also by Cushman)

We just finished Eagle of the Ninth which started out so-so but ended with us on the edge of our seats. Now we're on to Catherine Called Birdy which is nice and light after Eagle. It's also pretty short - any suggestions for one more read aloud in the Middle Ages?

The Great and Terrible Quest (if you can find a copy--it's out of print).

whoops - I see it was already mentioned. It's a really great book!

I'm cheating. We are currently listening to Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix on audio CD. We prefer the actor's voice over mine; he does such a great job. When we are finally done with this 26.5 hour CD, we'll watch the movie and then listen to the next book, watch that movie, and then listen to the last book.

Guest Virginia Dawn
Slogging! No joke. That book was a publishing sensation when it first came out, but frankly, I don't think it stands the test of time. Interesting from an historical point of view, to think about what appealed to readers at the time, but wow. Hard to get through.

Lol, I loved this book. I've read it multiple times. But I always was a sucker for a story full of pathos that resolved itself into a somewhat happy ending.