Menu

What are your kids doing in math today?

My daughter takes Singapore math online and today she has class. She had a test last time so this time they'll review the test and she'll get her score and move on to the next book.

In memory we do mental math problems and we'll just be doing the same old thing today. I call out the problem and she solves mentally and calls out the answer. She doesn't get to see the problem or use pencil/paper.

For my ds 7: We're using Math U See. We're on lesson 22, so we're learning how to subtract 8 from another number (up to 18.) So like 18-8, 10-8, 14-8.

We're going to do one worksheet from the MUS book.

We're going to do the online drill on the mus website. (20 math problems that they type in the answers for.)

And we're also going to review our addition facts using TuxMath. It's a free downloadable game. Math facts slowly drop from the top of the screen and you have to type the answers and "shoot" the math facts before they drop all the way down to the bottom of the screen and melt the igloos that the little penguins live in.

My son is only 7, so I type in the numbers for him and he yells out the answers. (If he tries to type the numbers it takes too long and the igloos melt.)

For my sd 4: We play War with a deck of cards (with the face cards and aces taken out.) He's learning how to figure out which number is higher.

He did lesson twenty-two: Rational Numbers and Set Builder Notation. He's spending the rest of the day on Classical Civilisation. He also uses Galore Park So You Really Want to Learn Maths book 3, Mixed Maths Exercises and Bond Assessment Papers.

Hobbes is just finishing Galore Park Junior Maths 2, but hasn't done any of that today yet. He is working on areas and perimeters. He did do a Bond Assessment Paper this morning, so that was a mixture of topics: area, proportion, place value, times tables review, directions, addition/subtraction and reflections. He also did one lesson of Life of Fred Fractions - it was about equivalent fractions. Later today he will do a five minute addition/subtraction speed drill.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

First Grade Horizons, lesson 51/52.

You may know that Horizons covers several topics per day.

Today:

Quarters

equality/inequality of money (4 nickles ____20c)

1/4

double digit addition

single digit subtraction

various fractions

equality/inequality (such as 9+4____14)

We're also playing with the MUS blocks (printed out ones) and Decimal Street while waiting for the program to come in (hopefully TODAY!).

And he'll do QuarterMile Math for fact practice for a short time.

My 6yo uses Calvert Math 1, but she's practicing her 5's and 2's today. Sometimes I think she'll never get it. Sigh.

My 7yo uses Calvert Math 3. Today is lesson 2.3, a review of fact families, and 2.4, associative property.

My 11yo uses Saxon Algebra 1/2. He's on lesson 19 or 20. I'll know what it's about when he asks a question or hands me his work to review. ;)

Ds10: Saxon 7/6, Lesson 23 "Ratio"

Ds9: Saxon 6/5, Lesson 25 "Listing the Factors of Whole Numbers"

Ds7: Saxon 3, Lesson 24 "Identifying the Meaning of the Multiplication Sign, Counting by 7s"

Ds5: Saxon 1, Lesson 61 "Writing the Number 55, Comparing Length, Measuring Length Using Nonstandard Units"

The older 2 each also have the 100 problem fact sheet, the younger 2 each have the 25 problem fact sheet.

And they're all supposed to do 10 races in Quarter Mile Math to increase speed.

Daughter 13 - MUS Algebra 1 - graphing equations &

Use It! Don't Lose It! 8th Grade - Week 4 Monday - 5 review/higher order thinking questions

Son 10 - MUS Delta - Division, review of area of trapezoids & averaging, review of all division facts & Use It! Don't Lose It! 5th Grade - Week 4 Monday - 5 review/higher order thinking questions

Why?

11 yo ds

Saxon 7/6

Lesson 92 - Expanded Notation w/Exponents - Order of Operations with Exponents - Powers of Fractions

Lesson 93 - Writing Fractions as Percents - Part 2

He will do both lessons, both sets of practice problems and the problem set for the latter lesson. He will also do 3 problems from Singapore Word Problem book (4th grade level) as he struggles with word problems.

My 10 yr. old uses MUS Delta. I think she is on lesson 17. She is doing division with remainders.

My 8 yr. old uses RS Level D and is on lesson 8. He is reviewing time problems.

My 6 yr. old does not use a math book per se but we use RS as a guide. She is learning her double digit numbers and is starting to add using the abacus.

DS 12 - at charter school using Saxon 8/7. They have a test today so I think they are finishing unit one or section one or test one??

DD 10 - BJU 5 lesson 23 is two-digit multiplication. Supplement: math drills with a Flashmaster.

http://www.flashmaster.com/

DS 9 - BJU 3 lesson 57 is a chapter review of 4 digit addition and subtraction. Supplement: math drills with Flashmaster. We are also using Times Tales to supplement the multiplication table because I love memory aids.

http://www.timestales.com/

DD (9) is using Life of Fred: Decimals and Percents, and did the Bridge to Chapter 31 today, which appeared to cover some sets, ratios, decimals, and graphing concepts. She also did a Calculadder drill, and a page in Key To Measurement Book 2.

DS (4) is using Right Start A and he's working on combining tally sticks.

I'd like to see what everyone's people are doing for math. Could you post the book you're using and what the lesson was about? Plus any other math that you did with your kids today?

Oldest ds 18yo, 12th grade, is using Sullivan's College Algebra in his Dual Enrollment College Algebra class. He completed an online test last night and has no more work until class tomorrow.

Middle ds 15yo, 10th grade, is using TT Alg2 and is also doing some ACT prep. He will do lesson 56 on imaginary numbers today in TT Alg2 and has already completed his ACT prep work. He goes to a math tutor on Tuesdays, so his math week actually begins on Wednesdays.

Little ds 6yo, 1st grade, is using Saxon 65. He will be doing lesson 27 Solving Problems about Divisions of Time today. He also does Kumon math through the Kumon center and will take the test to move into level E on Thursday. The end of level D covers reducing fractions to simplest form. He will be completing 5 pages of Kumon. After reviewing past material, level E covers the 4 operations with fractions. In preparation for level E, last week I picked up Key to Fractions books 2, 3, and 4. Today he will be doing Key to Fractions 2 pages 8-9. Math is really his thing.

HTH-

Mandy

6 yo is on leson 16 CLE math 1. She did number 16 and learned about number lines.

10 yo is using MUS Beta and did test 3 today.

11 yo is is usng chalkdust basic math is is doing lesson 1.5d and is learning about dividing during word problems.

13 yo and 15 yo Saxon Alg 1/2 lesson 8. ( They were using chalkdust and we restarted using saxon) Multiplying and dividng by powers of 10. Ordering decimal numbers

16 yo Saxon Adv. Math lesson 16 Complex fractions. Abstract equations. Division of polynomials.

C5 is using Singapore 1A, we're roughly halfway through. We're still officially on a baby break though so this week just playing games. Today we did two games to review addition and subtraction within 10. one is called Double It from Peggy Kaye's book and one I made up called the fast game.

MUS Alpha Lesson 11 DVD and... test. Please. It was circles, triangles, and skip counting by 2. I did it merely to give him an easy lesson. I could have skipped it. He will be reviewing his addition facts in the car later and will probably be helping me process the last of our garden veggies here in a few minutes which will require him to remember how many ounces are in a pound. ;)

2nd grader:

Rod and Staff beehive for #12 and she did the line for 9, 3 and 12.

Singapore Math workbook p. 106 on subtraction within 20

played Up, Up in the Air Doubles Addition file folder game

4th grader:

worksheet on 4's tables from Houghton-Mifflin site

Singapore 3 Extra Practice workbook on fraction material

We are back-tracking and reviewing the times tables and easy fractions materials before we finish up the fractions material in Singapore 4a.

It was a good day.:001_smile:

My daughter (9) is using Modern Curriculum Press D (first time using this publisher). Today's worksheet titles say, Understanding Multiplication Properties, Understanding Rule of Order, Multiplying the factors 6/7 & 8/9. If that goes will she will do Finding Missing Factors.

We start afternoon lessons at 1 after the younger two have been put upstairs for rest time (listening to a book on tape while playing quietly alone)

Warm up:

1 word problem (from It's Alive and Kicking)

4 questions review of percents (of the "12% of which number is 37?" variety)

one Venn diagram problem

one Brain Maths puzzle

Math:

Start Chapter 3 of Cryptoclub, work on problems for 15 minutes. The chapter deals with breaking Caesar ciphers.

Edited by nmoira
typo

Dd 7 is using Singapore Primary Math 2B. She did a textbook and workbook lesson on multiplying by 5s -- word problems. Then, she worked on her 4x table reviews by playing Timez Attack on the computer.

Ds 10 (in school) is currently at an afterschool Math Counts team meeting. And... I'm off to pick him up.

:)

Ds 3 loves numbers. Right after breakfast he brought me a book to read: Richard Scarry's Best Counting Book Ever. This morning he played his Winnie the Pooh game on the computer. After lunch he did a 1-10 puzzle by Melissa & Doug. Here's a link to a simliar puzzle (ours is much older and less colorful/busy):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XQ6OHY/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000FQBCGK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=02GMBV07719DDYB8KC72

Edited by zaichiki
ooh forgot the youngest

Ds1 (8yo) did lesson 2 in CLE Math 402. It was mostly about doubling large numbers, with review of older stuff mixed in. Then he did exercise 9 in the Singapore Primary Math 3B workbook (adding metric numbers).

Dd hasn't done anything mathy yet today. I might get her to do some after 4yo ds lets me put him down.

Interesting question. Why do you ask? Are you thinking about switching programs?

Dd is doing whatever is in lesson 38 in Saxon 7/6. I'm not entirely sure what's in that lesson:blushing: because its mostly the review I felt she needed (switched this year from Singapore). I check her answers each day from the previous day's work, and if she has any ?s, she asks, but so far, so good.

Ds is on a review of chapter 1 in Singapore 6A. That was an intro to algebra. (He hated the new Saxon 7/6 and begged to go back to Singapore, so we just started it last week)

Its interesting how two completely different approaches to math and can make all the sense and no sense at all to different people. Dc are twins and just this year I'm noticing huge differences surface in how they learn this particular subject.

Emily is using Abeka. We alternate between the 1st and 2nd grade books. Today she was in the 1st grade book. She matched clocks to the correct time, filled in the odd numbers for 2 lines of numbers, read the temperature on 4 thermometers, circled 1/4 of 16 pictures of peanuts... that was one page. She did a speed drill with 10 addition and subtraction problems. She did another page but I don't remember everything that was on it. She had to write 2 digit numbers after looking at pictures of balloons. Groups of ten tied together and single ballons, but I don't remember the rest. I think she is somewhere around lesson 85.

I'll tell you what we do in the second grade book when we get it back out.

Ds has had some issues with multiplication. He can do it, he knows how it works, he just does it reeeallly sloooow. Since division has come up in his regular lessons, I decided to take a break, start at the beginning and try multiplication from a different angle. So, for the next few weeks we'll be working through "Multiplication and Division," a Math Success book, written by Lucille Caron and Philip M. St. Jacques.

Today, we did chapters 1 & 2. Chapter 1 covered the basics (think of it as 3 groups of 5), the different ways to write the number sentences and some vocabulary (product, factors, multiplication equation). Chapter 2 showed the mulitiplication table and gives basic facts for memorization. They also set out a different goal for memorizing the multiplication table (which is why I borrowed this book from the library).

Our memory work in math this week is:

2x7=14 and 7x2=14 2x2=4

3x8=24 and 8x3=24 3x3=9

4x9=36 and 9x4=36 4x4=16

5x8=40 and 8x5=40 5x5=24

6x9=54 and 9x6=54 6x6=36

7x6=42 and 6x7=42 7x7=49

8x9=72 and 9x8=72 8x8=64

9x7=63 and 7x9=63 9x9=81

We're doing it the same way we do memory work for poetry (read it 3x twice the first day, etc).

Here's to hope!

And we're also going to review our addition facts using TuxMath.

Thank you for the link :)

Warm up:

1 word problem (from It's Alive and Kicking)

4 questions review of percents (of the "12% of which number is 37?" variety)

one Venn diagram problem

one Brain Maths puzzle

Math:

Start Chapter 3 of Crytoclub, work on problems for 15 minutes. The chapter deals with breaking Caesar ciphers.

What is the Crytoclub? Is it a workbook, text, or book? I'm looking around for new things for ds, found we do better in books and workbooks than we do with texts, iykwIm. Your math work looks so different (and interesting)... could you post a few links for where to buy, or how to know what to buy???