Menu

If you own an automatic (car), will you make sure your kids learn to drive a stick?

And I was just thinking...out of us that can drive a stick, how many can drive three on the tree?

~M

I can drive a standard five speed, a three-on-the-column, and a "backward" five speed (where first is down to the left, second is up to the right, etc.). I can't drive a fourteen wheeler, but I'd be game to try!

And, yes, my 15-year-old will learn to drive a five-speed after she's been driving a bit longer. I think it's important that she is able to drive ANYWHERE she might live.

Lisa

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure how we will achieve this (we have a few years) but yes they need to learn to drive a stick.

I taught my husband and a few other adults as well when they suddenly found themselves with a manual as the only option.

In the rest of the world stick shift is the norm in an average car. Particularly in a rental car.

Right now we only have automatics, unfortunately; that's the nature of gas guzzlers. (Family "car" is a Suburban, and we also have a Ford F-350 for the farm.)

My 3 oldest kids already know how to drive pretty much anything on wheels! :D From the tiniest scooter to the biggest loader tractor, they're on it. For day-to-day farm driving they have some old beater Datsun pickup trucks (stick shift), and my oldest ds has his own car now, a '68 Chevrolet Malibu (also a stick shift).

Because we also drive a Suburban as a family car, my kids had never seen me drive a stick shift. When my ds's car was the only one available one day, it cracked me up that my dc were full of advice for me about driving a stick shift. Since they'd never seen me do it, they assumed I didn't know how.

My dad taught me to drive with a stick shift. We lived on a hill, and I can't even count how many times we went around that block while I learned. He had 4 different places going up that hill where he made me come to a full stop and then start again. I remember it being extremely tedious, but by the time I had my license and was driving on my own, I could stop/start (even on a steep hill) and never roll back an inch.

(You'd also never want to drag race against me, 'cause I can cut a really good reaction time driving a stick! :D)

I learned on a stick, and can drive a column shift (we had an OLD pickup truck for a while) The car I learned on was a beater, and you had to keep your foot on the gas at ALL times or it would die. Try operating 3 pedals at once! (good thing I have big feet :) )Our '08 truck is a stick shift. Our kids had never seen one before when we got it...and asked me why Dad was 'messing around with that stick thing while he was driving'? :lol:

Anyway, YES our kids will learn how. It is a very handy skill to have, IMO.

Most definitely. Right now no friends own one and we don't either, so I'm not sure how we will do it but it will be a priority. My parents made sure I learned and their point was it's not worth the "what if". What if you end up in a situation where you are stranded without learning how. Plus, since now as an adult I do travel much outside the country and it's definitely worth knowing how.

but I don't think my kids will learn.....I don't think it is really necessary now. Before....those were the best gas mileage cars.....but there isn't a big difference now, not to mention the pain in the *ss they are to drive. I mean really....how can you talk on your cell phone...and drive a stick shift, LOLOLOLOLOL!

on a short list of life skills that I feel are absolutely necessary.

- know how to drive a stick shift

- know how to swim

- know how to perform CPR

Of course there are dozens of things that could be added to this, I just joke with my husband about how the kids will not be allowed to graduate from my home school unless and until they can do these things! I think I chose them because they relate to how one might need to respond in an unexpected emergency situation.

I can drive a standard five speed, a three-on-the-column, and a "backward" five speed (where first is down to the left, second is up to the right, etc.). I can't drive a fourteen wheeler, but I'd be game to try!

And, yes, my 15-year-old will learn to drive a five-speed after she's been driving a bit longer. I think it's important that she is able to drive ANYWHERE she might live.

Lisa

:iagree:

My ds 12, just yesterday, asked me if he would ever learn to use a stick. Of course you will!!!!!!

My first car, a VW bug, was a stick, and had only 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. No reverse or 1st. A year later it lost 2nd. I became a very good driver and didn't quite know how to handle the luxury of having 4 gears and reverse in my next VW bug!

In Houston, I chose a stick because of the horendous traffic....you need it to zip in and out of situations.

I love my automatics though and as long as I'm dealing with kids, I'll keep it.

But, like I tell my kids everyday, the more you know the better off you are. You need to learn how to; use a chainsaw, a roto rooter, a drill, a car jack, replace the heating element in a dryer, a lawnmower, a winch, a trailer hitch, etc. The list goes on and on.

Recently my stick driving skills were requested to help a relative retreive a truck that was a manual, across a town I didn't know, to prevent it from getting towed..... I was pleased that I could be of service.....

Our son is learning on an automatic, but he will also learn to use a manual as well. Dh's car has a manual transmission. If we get another car, it will be a manual transmission. It will require more parts of his brain and be more difficult to multi-task, so he will have to pay more attention to what he is doing. Our main car is a minivan, so he won't exactly be channeling Speed Racer.

I didn't learn to use a manual until we bought my then BIL's car - I was 21. If we never had one, I would never have learned. If you don't have one to practice on, it can be difficult to master. So, I can totally see someone not learning because they didn't have access to one on a regular basis.

answering OP...

I learned to drive a stick on my dad old truck. I found that it was much easier to drive a stick back then than it is today. The stick system is much more complex today. We do not have a stick shift vehicle. I will not require my kids to learn to drive one. The only time I drove a stick was my dad's old truck but that wasn't my vehicle upon getting license.

Holly

A competent automatic driver can easily pick up stick or manual shifting.

Hmm, no, I'd have to disagree with you there. I think a lot of folks ~ especially those who have driven automatics exclusively for years ~ have to work a while to get the knack for it. I even know people who have tried unsuccessfully to learn how to drive a stick/standard. Something about the coordination required stymies them.

I used to have a recurring nightmare that I was being chased and I would jump into a vehicle and it was a stick shift. Of course at the time I couldn't drive one. My brother got a car with a stick shift and I learned. I never had the nightmare again. A couple of years later I bought a Ford Explorer that had one, and I loved that vehicle!!

The point of my story? I don't have one. :lol:

Anyhow, I would like my boys to learn how if we have a vehicle that has one when it comes time.

Every automobile I've ever owned has had a manual transmission. The current vehicle (a MINI Cooper S) has a six-speed Getrag gear-box. Nice!

I simply would not drive an automatic, as they deprive me of joy. I love working an automobile through it's gears, it makes for a "zen" to driving, and an "engagement" between man and machine that's totally lacking in an "automatic".

I learned to drive as a child using my father's old Model A Ford (yes I'm old, but I'm not that OLD :D). There was no "syncro-mesh" in first gear, and all the gears required "double-clutching" so for me working a clutch and gears was always fun.

I'd be very sad if I couldn't drive a manual someday, but realize with thing such as electric cars in our future, that stick-sifts could go the way of the Dodo.

:auto:

Also, why do you go on Amazing Race if you're incredibly out of shape?

Good question. Or better yet, why were you chosen?!!! For entertainment's sake, of course. But seriously. If someone is crying and struggling from even the shortest walk/run, are we seriously supposed to believe they passed a physical fitness test beforehand? Good grief.

The question my boys most often ask is, "Why do people go on the Amazing Race if they're not even interested in seeing the world?" They still remember Kendra of several seasons ago, wrinkling her nose in an Asian country and whining, "I just...thought we'd be in, like, France or something!":tongue_smilie:

Good question. Or better yet, why were you chosen?!!! For entertainment's sake, of course. But seriously. If someone is crying and struggling from even the shortest walk/run, are we seriously supposed to believe they passed a physical fitness test beforehand? Good grief.

The question my boys most often ask is, "Why do people go on the Amazing Race if they're not even interested in seeing the world?" They still remember Kendra of several seasons ago, wrinkling her nose in an Asian country and whining, "I just...thought we'd be in, like, France or something!":tongue_smilie:

Not to mention how insulting it is to the citizens in that country. :glare:

Absolutely! My father taught me to drive a stick shift when I was 18 and I have owned one ever since. They are so much more fun to drive, get better gas mileage, and are less expensive to buy (you don't have to pay for the automatic transmission and can usually get away with a smaller engine too). So much more efficient in every way. Why wouldn't you drive one? :D

One of our cars is an automatic only because a manual transmission wasn't an option (SUV). I wish they would offer the option of a stick shift on a wider variety of vehicles, and on higher-end models (I don't like having to choose between a manual transmission and leather seats). But I think it's safe to say that as long as they still make them, we will always own at least one manual transmission vehicle, and our girls will be learning to drive it when their time comes. :001_smile:

I'm an unusual Brit, in that I prefer an automatic. I want the boys to learn to drive a manual car first. Indeed, in the UK there always used to be two licences (I don't know if that has changed): if you got your licence driving an automatic, that was all you could legally drive.

Laura

I didn't even know you could learn to drive an automatic in the UK! I mean, I didn't know you could be tested for a driving licence with an automatic!

I learned to drive in the UK with a stick shift. If I had learned in Spain, that would have been also a manual car. Automatic cars are just not very popular in Europe.

I would like my children to learn to drive a manual car because we still have family and friends in several different countries where automatic cars are not the norm. They might find themselves needing to drive a car in any of those countries some day.

Hmm, no, I'd have to disagree with you there. I think a lot of folks ~ especially those who have driven automatics exclusively for years ~ have to work a while to get the knack for it. I even know people who have tried unsuccessfully to learn how to drive a stick/standard. Something about the coordination required stymies them.

I agree!!! Stick shifts are much more complicated today than back in my day!! I can't drive one for the life of me. If I had to jump into a car and it was stick shift I would be dead. My cousin had a stick shift and I tried driving it. boy oh boy...I killed the engine so many times that she said " never drive a stick shift even if your life depended on it". :D I just can't do it. I have tried and tried to do it (new way of stick shifting). There is a big difference of the stick shifts made 20 years ago vs. the one made 10 years ago to today.

Holly

Right now we only have automatics, unfortunately; that's the nature of gas guzzlers. (Family "car" is a Suburban, and we also have a Ford F-350 for the farm.) I drove a stick when I was single adult and much prefer it. My husband prefers an automatic. I am hoping to get a smaller car eventually and it'll be a stick. I think it's nice to be able to know how to drive one, but I didn't learn on my own family's vehicles when I was a teen. Instead I stripped the gears of my best friend's VW Beetle.:tongue_smilie:

My boys and I like to watch "Amazing Race", and I've noticed how often, when they have to drive, at least one team member will say they can't drive a stick. It makes me wonder how many Americans never do learn that. What do you drive? And do you want your kids learn how to drive a stick?

I think it's good to know, but probably not imperative for non-working types.

I'm confident that ds will to learn how to handle a clutch. I'm sure you know how many pieces of farm equipment require some level of that skill.

I also feel he should get his class 5 at some point (that's for semi drivers) because we do have a semi for hauling grain. You'd be surprised what a good money maker it can be to haul things for other people.

I cannot drive the semi -- regretfully -- because I cannot downshift. I would try to grapple with it more often, but dh has put the kibosh on my efforts in favour of keeping the semi functional. :D

ETA: I learned to drive on a 56 Studebaker --- with a tricky clutch. It was a minor acrobatic manoeuver to perform a shift in that car. I kind of miss that old girl.

Edited by Audrey

I loved my old Volkswagen Rabbit, diesel too! Lol, going over 40 mph, I couldn't hear the radio, but I loved it.

I think everyone should learn to drive both. I also think everyone should learn how to handle a car on ice in the parking lot of the closest community college on a Sunday. Not to mention the same on a rainy day to learn how to deal with hydroplaning. My Dad was great like that. Also to change your own tire, how to deal with a stuck lug nut, and how to check and add all the fluids a car needs.

A while back a storm knocked a big tree down at our church. We heat with wood, so they asked if we would remove the tree. We went in on a Monday evening and cut it up. There was enough wood for two loads in the little truck. The next evening I had a meeting at the Fairgrounds across the road from the church, so dh and dd dropped me off and went to get the second load of wood while I was at the meeting. Fine...

A few days later as we were driving into town, 9yo dd asked me what the parallel black marks on the pavement were called. "I call them skid marks," I told her, "they happen when a car tries to take off or stop too quickly and the tires break traction."

"Oh," she calmly replied, "I left some of those in the church parking lot when Daddy was teaching me to drive the stick shift while you were at your meeting...":w00t: I turn my back for 45 minutes and look what those two got up to! Not the rowdy teens to blame, but my very own 9yo!

I don't know how to drive a stick-shift but I wish I did. It hasn't really caused me any problems in life but it's just something I wish I could do.

I'd like my kids to learn. Both dh and BIL (who is single and a car lover) would be able to teach them.

YES.

We have a minivan that is an automatic and a 96 Dodge Truck that is a manual.

We just bought a new small Mazda 3 last summer for dh to drive, so there are PLENTY of non-gas-guzzling stick-shifts out there ;) Even our family of 7 uses it quite a bit since there are few times where ALL of us HAVE to go somewhere together.

A friend of mine was out w/ a group on a hike [one car --manual] when the driver was seriously injured [compound fracture of the leg]. Nobody else knew how to drive a manual transmission. My friend was the only other person who knew how to drive it and was able to get the original driver to the hospital [they were hiking in a no-cell signal area]. And they thought they were being safe going as a group.... ;) What's the proverb? a chain is only as strong as its weakest link?

So I have decided that as a way to equip my children to be as helpful as possible to the people around them, they WILL learn to drive a stick [as well as handle as many forms of transportation as possible].

I'm going to agree with you. My father never did get good at the manual transmission, despite the fact that he was old enough to have learned on one. My mother used to complain all the time that he would strip the clutch whenever he had to drive the van for more than a couple of days.

• 1 year later...

I simply would not drive an automatic, as they deprive me of joy. I love working an automobile through it's gears, it makes for a "zen" to driving, and an "engagement" between man and machine that's totally lacking in an "automatic".

I'd be very sad if I couldn't drive a manual someday, but realize with thing such as electric cars in our future, that stick-sifts could go the way of the Dodo.

:auto:

This is the way I describe driving a stick. To me, automatics feel like auto-pilot. I have said many times that "when I drive a stick I'm actually DRIVING the car!"

My brothers told me that "there is NO WAY you can pass the driving test in Illinois in a stick!" So I did.

My kids will, too. We have an old beater truck with a difficult to shift transmission that is just perfect for learning!

I'd love for my sons to learn how, but they'll have to learn on someone else's vehicle. I do know the theory of driving a stick, but I've only tried a few times and I'm far from proficient.

BTW, here in SC, many people refer to a stick shift as "straight drive". Funny, because that sounds more like automatic to me.

Probably.

We have 2 automatics and one stick. When DH and I got married we both had stick shifts only. Then when I got pregnant I wanted an automatic because I am so short I couldn't shift that far down while my belly stuck out so far! :lol:

I love my stick vehicle though. It is fun to drive.

Dawn

I learned to drive on manuals so can still drive them, but dh and I both drive automatics. However, dh also has a "hoonmobile" (I will post pictures one day- is covered with gothic artwork of semi clad women and shamanic animals- I wont drive in it on principle (the women, not the animals) :) ) and it is manual and neither of my kids are hung up on my principles, lol, and will learn to drive in that.

A friend is having her dd learn on her automatic, and when she is ready to have paid lessons (once she is basically confident and comfortable driving in traffic in the city) she will learn how to drive a manual. Sounds like a pretty good way to me.

I learned to drive on a half-ton pick-up truck with manual everything. It was a beast! But learning to drive that means I've always been able to drive any vehicle that I've encountered.

Anne

same for me, no power steering, no power brakes, manual shift and only a AM radio:D

My DH drives a 83 Toyota pick up manual to work, wonderful gas mileage, both boys will learn

They are so much more fun to drive, get better gas mileage, and are less expensive to buy (you don't have to pay for the automatic transmission and can usually get away with a smaller engine too). So much more efficient in every way. Why wouldn't you drive one? :D

:iagree: Absolutely will teach them to drive a stick, though on the farm at the tender age of 10 we are making sure they know how to handle a vehicle before they drive on the road officially.