Menu

Actors that grate on your nerves when they are acting (not their personal lives)

DawnM

Could be the way they look, move, act, speak, etc.....I am just not specifically thinking of their personal life that you don't approve of (or something they did that upset you politically or otherwise), those things are always an issue for some people.

I thought of this as I was watching Chicago Fire.   David Eisenberg's voice just annoys me to the point that I can't watch the show or I have to fast forward his parts.   It is like nails on a chalkboard.

Any actors do something similar to you?

34 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

Well, the entirety of Chicago fire annoys me to be honest.

I generally roll out of bed for a fire or ambulance call looking like a drowned rat and I have yet to figure out how the paramedics on that show have such perfect hair all the time. 

You don't have hair and make up people before you head out to a call?

But, if we want to talk about unrealistic......there are LOTS of shows to talk about. 🤣

• Like 2

Mike Ross the character from Suits BUGS me. He just keeps breaking the law when in my opinion he doesn't have to. (I get not going to Harvard but if you are such a good test taker just go and pass the BAR already. You can be a legitimate lawyer without going to Harvard.)

Adam Sandler bothers me too. He is just such a victim, I'm always like get it together you could have avoided this or at least just handle the situation.

• Like 1

British actress Nicola Walker. I thought she was quite well cast for Last Tango in Halifax and loved the show, but she seems to play every character in every show almost exactly the same. She completed ruined “The Split” for me. Every other main character was wonderfully cast and she was definitely not. She was completely unbelievable as a posh divorce lawyer and seemed to be playing her character the same way as when she was a poor sheep farmer in Last Tango.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 2

John Travolta makes it impossible for me to suspend my disbelief.

Tom Cruise is....odd.

Leslie Neilsen makes me uncomfortable.

Patrick Swayze is a great dancer but not the best actor. Same goes for Jennifer Lopez.

Ted Dansen. Whoopi Goldberg. Billy Crystal. Can't put my finger on why.

• Like 5

I always hated Kevin costner’s voice. Just sounds whiny to me and I really do not enjoy his acting because of it. It’s not so far as to say I won’t watch any of his movies because I have watched a few but his voice really does grate on me. I’d have to have some reason to get beyond the fact he was in a movie and go ahead and watch it. 

Back when he was always mentioned as a Hollywood heartthrob I was like yeah but then he talks and his voice. Ack. But I have never met anyone who shared my opinion so I’m willing to say it is just me. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Tree Frog said:

When I hear John Wayne, I grit my teeth. Dh thinks he's an awesome actor, but his voice sounds wooden to me and his acting seems one dimensional. 

Of course he is one dimensional. He plays the same character in every movie. 

i can’t stand jim carey or will Ferrell. Ugh. 

• Like 3

Yes, there are several that come to mind, but I am super bad at names, LOL.

There's one male actor who used to play a serious role - some doctor? but his face had this permanent smile that was just wrong.

Then there's this lady on Gray's Anatomy (which I don't watch but my kids do), the Asian one ... her face always seems expressionless to me.

I can't stand Jim Carey, Adam Sandler, or Nicholas Cage either.

I'm sure there are others.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

Donnie and Mark Wahlberg. I really like the show "Blue Bloods" but have to look away or close my eyes when Wahlberg is on the screen. Ick.

Brad Pitt - ick again.

Jim Carrey

Catherine O'Hara

Jennifer Aniston

Anne Hathaway

These are the ones I dislike so much, I'll usually forgo watching what might be a great show/movie just to avoid seeing them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, athena1277 said:

Jim Carey is horrible. The Truman Show is the only movie he made that I will watch.  Probably because it’s not a movie length potty humor sketch.

I also don’t like Fran Dresher.  I like Friends, but I hate the episodes with her in it.  Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

Oh, I love "The Truman Show" -  it is the only Jim Carrey movie I can watch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

I always hated Kevin costner’s voice. Just sounds whiny to me and I really do not enjoy his acting because of it. It’s not so far as to say I won’t watch any of his movies because I have watched a few but his voice really does grate on me. I’d have to have some reason to get beyond the fact he was in a movie and go ahead and watch it. 

Back when he was always mentioned as a Hollywood heartthrob I was like yeah but then he talks and his voice. Ack. But I have never met anyone who shared my opinion so I’m willing to say it is just me. 

I just watched "Field of Dreams" and was really bothered by his voice - I'd kind of noticed how whiny it was in "Dances With Wolves" but the movie itself overrode my irritation at Costner's voice. I do not like his voice at all (nor the fact that he has to have his bare backside in almost every movie he is in - I think he has a fixation or something... 🙂

1 hour ago, ***** said:

Jack Nicholson-he was always referred to as a s*xy star (idk if I can write the real word here), a real lady's man.  And I just never saw it-not handsome at all.  Personality? Yuck. 

I didn't know Jack Nicholson was suppose to be desirable... I thought most of his characters are suppose to be crazy.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Clarita said:

I didn't know Jack Nicholson was suppose to be desirable... I thought most of his characters are suppose to be crazy.

That's what I don't understand either. I've heard it over the years and he has no appeal whatsoever.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

Well, the entirety of Chicago fire annoys me to be honest.

I generally roll out of bed for a fire or ambulance call looking like a drowned rat and I have yet to figure out how the paramedics on that show have such perfect hair all the time. 

True story. We used to live in Chicago and Chicago fire was frequently filmed near our house. One day, a real fire started half a block away from the filming location. No fire has ever been put out so quickly by so many firefighters. It turns out actual firefighters are extras etc. 

Never seen the show, though. Just watch them filming.

Hugh Grant grates on DH so I just watched 1995 Sense and Sensibility last night for the first time in ages, without him. 

Emily

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Tim Allen.  He's smarmy, rude, and self-centered.  I struggle to watch anything where he's supposed to be a protagonist.

There's a personality on SportsCenter that drives me up the wall: Stephen Smith.  I don't know how many of you have come across him, but he sends my blood pressure through the roof because of how angry he is about everything.  He just yells. He ended up on some other show last week (Good Morning America, maybe) and I had to change the channel so quick because that's not how I want to start my day feeling.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, elegantlion said:

Cillian Murphy? :svengo: I adore his work, although I've not seen Oppenheimer. 

Yes. Cillian Murphy. I don’t think ive seen anything he is in. Just the trailers are a turnoff

And this is interesting cuz all this time I thought it was Benedict Cumberbatxh (couldn’t think of his name last night). I don’t like him either!

Edited by Amethyst
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, ***** said:

Jack Nicholson-he was always referred to as a s*xy star (idk if I can write the real word here), a real lady's man.  And I just never saw it-not handsome at all.  Personality? Yuck. 

I agree and I also don't like his acting. I don't understand why people think he's a good actor. He overacts and basically plays the same character in every movie, even movies that have wildly different stories.

• Like 1

I can't tolerate Tom Cruise but I think part of that is due to his personal life. Same with Mel Gibson.

Actors who grate on me simply due to their acting: the previously mentioned Jack Nicholson, Jim Carrey, Will Ferrell. There aren't many female actors who rub me the wrong way but Kathleen Turner is one who comes to mind.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

but I’m ambivalent about Colin Firth.

I really enjoy CF in 1995 P&P . . . but now he just REALLY bothers me (as an actor).

I really enjoyed Tom Selleck in the original Magnum PI . . . but now he just REALLY bothers me in Blue Bloods.

• Like 1