Menu

So….what is on your menu for Thanksgiving?

Indigo Blue

Mine is always very simple.

Chicken (no, not turkey) with gravy.

Rice

Corn

Broccoli

Sweet potato with cinnamon and vegan butter

homemade potato salad

homemade slaw

store bought pecan pie (Whole Foods)

store bought chocolate chip cookies (Whole Foods)

(I have a frozen vegan gluten free cupcake for myself. I will just eat the veggies).

• Like 6

We often have a chicken, but I decided to plan a vegetarian menu this year. Between lunch and dinner, we will have...

• our usual crustless pumpkin pie
  • the Blue Zones 1620 succotash recipe
  • apple sage tempeh
  • Molly Patrick's edamame and cranberry quinoa salad
  • carrot-nut bread
  • probably canned cranberry sauce.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, 73349 said:

We often have a chicken, but I decided to plan a vegetarian menu this year. Between lunch and dinner, we will have...

• our usual crustless pumpkin pie
  • the Blue Zones 1620 succotash recipe
  • apple sage tempeh
  • Molly Patrick's edamame and cranberry quinoa salad
  • carrot-nut bread
  • probably canned cranberry sauce.

I’m coming to your house

• Haha 1

We ordered a smoked turkey.    I’ll do dressing, Mac n cheese, field peas, sweet potato casserole, deviled eggs, and bob evans mashed potatoes for ds since he’s not crazy about sweet potatoes.    My mil is bringing a dessert, don’t know what.  I’ll also have some brownies or cookies or something.   
thanksgiving is always traditional for us.    The last few years we’ve gone to cracker barrel, but I still had the traditional thanksgiving plate there.  

• Like 5

This will be the first (and probably only) year that it's just me and DH.  I haven't thought about what we're eating yet - we have leftover ice cream cake in the freezer so it might be big slices of that or pizza.  🙂  I'll miss the kids, but they (plus two girlfriends)   will all be home with us for the last half of December so we'll have plenty of time together.  Actually, more than enough time with all of us crammed into our house - it is so crowded, noisy, messy, hectic, etc.

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 6

39 minutes ago, Kassia said:

This will be the first (and probably only) year that it's just me and DH.  I haven't thought about what we're eating yet - we have leftover ice cream cake in the freezer so it might be big slices of that or pizza.  🙂  I'll miss the kids, but they will all be home with their girlfriends for the last half of December so we'll have plenty of time together.  Actually, more than enough time with all of us crammed into our house - it is so crowded, noisy, messy, hectic, etc.

3 minutes ago, Corbster98 said:

After so many years of making most of the dinner myself, since its just husband and me this year, we are going out to a local buffett with all of the fixings and multiple dessert choices  🙂

The times we've been alone we've really leaned in to it. Being able to relax and enjoy the day and not be worn out and frazzled afterward is great!

• Like 7

Our usual menu, all made by me since we don’t travel or have family come to us. (We save traveling for Christmas.) 

This is the same menu we have every single year.

Roast turkey breast

fried ham

Cornbread dressing

corn

green beans

Mac n cheese

mashed potatoes 

deviled eggs

Southwest crunch salad from a bag

rolls (Costco bakery)

homemade cranberry sauce (pioneer woman recipe)

lemon meringue pie (I’ll make)

cookies and cream pie (Edward’s frozen)

pecan pie (Edward’s frozen)

sweet tea

apple cider 

I’d like roasted Brussels sprouts and also sweet potatoes, but I’m the only one who would eat it, so it’s just not worth it to me.

• Like 5

Our usual:

- roast spatchcocked turkey

- mashed potatoes

- Trader Joe's gravy (if I'm not too late to get it!)

- some sort of salad or cooked greens; some years I do a brussels sprout/spinach/radicchio thing with warm dressing, but probably not this year

- Hungarian mushroom soup for the vegetarian in the family

- green beans with pecans and crispy fried onions (I used to do almonds but someone has developed an allergy

- maybe something with sweet potatoes

- three corn casserole, my son's favorite which he makes

- maybe dressing; we are debating that

- pumpkin pie, a small skillet apple pie, some kind of cupcake. I might buy the pumpkin pie from Costco but if I'm smart, I'll start making pie crusts today and freeze them. 

ETA: how did I forget cranberry sauce, and rolls?  Both homemade. Well, I think calling the cranberry sauce "homemade" when I just make the basic recipe of berries, sugar, and water a bit silly, but there you go. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 4

Looking for ideas, good thread!

We make(almost) everything, so it’s all peanut, tree nut, sesame, banana, avocado, lentil, egg, and dairy free, and safe for everyone in our house to eat. No anaphylaxis on turkey day!

So far, our plan is:

Stuffed ham (we actually ordered that, but have gone over and over the ingredients they use in the prep area, so feel pretty confident it’s fine — DS and DD won’t eat it anyway)

Roasted chicken (not turkey!)

Mashed potatoes 

Dressing (need to buy safe bread and herbs)

Cranberry orange sauce

Roasted acorn squash

Sautéed green beans

Sweet potatoes — we sometimes bake them with OJ, no marshmallow type stuff, sometimes just baked. Not sure yet what we will make this year.

Salad or greens of some kind, looking for more ideas

Pie. Pumpkin, blueberry, apple, cherry.

• Like 6

pretty standard

I'm so grateful 2ds likes a nice table - and will set it . . . 

not sure how many we're having to dinner.  there will be nine of us, but 2ds is wanting to make available for those who don't have anywhere else to go.  (not like his houseguest)

turkey

dressing (cooked in the bird)

homemade cranberry sauce (I need to check the cranberry supply . . . . )

mashed potatoes and gravy

pineapple-carrot salad 

not sure what other veggies. 

I like green beans

my pickles

dh's rolls

my jam (I have raspberry and strawberry.  i think there's some blackberry hiding out . . . )

fruit cake (2dd's choice.  she's missed it.)

chess tarts.  maybe . . . time.. . 1ds wants them, and they are good (there is quite the story about those tarts) and they freeze.

the usual

pumpkin pies

apple pies

pecan pie (if we don't do chess tarts)

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, saraha said:

Well now we need to know…

i didn't want to distract from the menu

the recipe originated with 2dsil's mother-in-law.  She guarded her recipes like fort knox.  (there was one that was memorable for "why?")  when she *finally* gave the recipe to her son, it was on pain of death that he wouldn't share the recipe with anyone.  Not even - his wife (2dsil).  For several years, he did so, when they made them, HE made them.  He finally saw the absurdity of that, and gave it to her, but she was not allowed to share it with anyone else.   Her mil has been dead for at least 10 years, and she'll give it out to anyone who wants it.
not quite as bad as the woman who was so possessive of her cookie recipe and made so many comments about how she wouldn't share it over her dead body - the woman's family had the recipe engraved on her headstone.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

i didn't want to distract from the menu

the recipe originated with 2dsil's mother-in-law.  She guarded her recipes like fort knox.  (there was one that was memorable for "why?")  when she *finally* gave the recipe to her son, it was on pain of death that he wouldn't share the recipe with anyone.  Not even - his wife (2dsil).  For several years, he did so, when they made them, HE made them.  He finally saw the absurdity of that, and gave it to her, but she was not allowed to share it with anyone else.   Her mil has been dead for at least 10 years, and she'll give it out to anyone who wants it.
not quite as bad as the woman who was so possessive of her cookie recipe and made so many comments about how she wouldn't share it over her dead body - the woman's family had the recipe engraved on her headstone.

On the headstone? 😂😂😂

• Like 3

Stuffed shells- 3 varieties-meat, cheese, veggie. 
I’ll make two flavors of focaccia. A salad. 
Pies to be named later, as T’giving week is Pie Week in our house and there’s a pie made every day. I’ll make two on T’giving, just not sure which yet.

Appetizers are laid back, including deviled eggs, sausage balls, roasted pecans, and other stuff to be decided on when I see what’s on sale this week. 

We’re hosting, and there will be 15 of us.  They voted and shells won. Nobody voted for traditional Turkey dinner. 

• Like 5

I think we've only "done" a traditional or semi traditional thanksgiving once in our 30 years together, when we hosted a few friends. When DS was young we'd try making new to us ethnic foods (or things we'd never made ourselves before); that was a fun tradition. I guess some years we've made a field roast or tofurkey but it's always just been the three of us and none of us are very traditional in anything.

This year I decided on a whim that we're going to do all the things. We just learned how to roast a whole chicken (another shopper in TJs saw my bafflement and gave me an amazing recipe and cheered us on--she was so awesome!), and since it was successful we'll try it again. It's only the two of us so we won't go overboard, plus I really don't enjoy cooking but of course TJ s has the answer to everything 🙂 We'll have haricot vert with crispy onions, roasted root veggies (sweet potatoes, parsnips, onions and so on), maybe cranberry sauce for DH, cornbread stuffing (from a box) and gravy from a can DH bought from world market, lol. And pumpkin pie, so we can pretend DS is with us.

It'll be fun and low key, and silly because it's all new to us.

Also I bought fall colours felted wool trivets at TJs (along with the pretty wool berry sprigs @Arcadia suggested). I've never owned a trivet and I'm not exactly sure what to do with them, but the cats have decided they make cozy spots to hang out on the dining room table, so they were a worthwhile investment. 🙂 Bonus they look festive! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

We've always had basically the same thing. I'd like to branch out, but the kids (now adults) are not in favor:
So turkey (smoked, we are trying Greenberg's smoked turkey this year)
Sweet potato casserole
Mac-n-cheese
Green Bean casserole (adventurous cooking dd preparing, so I'm sure it will be unique!)
Dressing
Cranberry something
Rolls

This year I bought a smaller turkey because one invitee said they were bringing tamales, but they have changed their mind, so I'm trying to come up with something to replace it. No one here is big on ham, and I purchased a smaller turkey than I would have normally, and we aren't that fond of turkey, so I'm not getting another one! A local Filipino restaurant does very tasty lumpia, so I'm considering getting a dozen or so of those. I've reheated them in the air fryer and they are super yummy still. 

• Like 1

Our plans are still in progress.  I may be hosting 10, or 20, or may be cooking it all and taking it elsewhere- we have elderly extended family that are trying to decide if they are all getting together and how to work that out with caregivers.  It's actually a hard decision because it would be the first year they didn't do TG together.  I've offered to do whatever is necessary.  I'm planning to make:

Turkey breast and gravy (2 if we do big family)

Sweet potatoes 

Dressing

Rolls

• Like 2

I host my dh's family each year. This year I was dreading it. I figured out that I don't really enjoy the day any more because I'm too pooped. It started out ok but all the kids grew up and I've been feeding the equivalent of 18 adults.

So.

I told my dh I would smoke 2 turkeys. Make some rolls and one dessert. He and his brothers can decide what else they want. Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

So I'm smoking a cajun style turkey and a regular one. I'm making rolls and probably a pumpkin pie. 

Whatever else ends up here is what we'll eat.

'

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

I host my dh's family each year. This year I was dreading it. I figured out that I don't really enjoy the day any more because I'm too pooped. It started out ok but all the kids grew up and I've been feeding the equivalent of 18 adults.

So.

I told my dh I would smoke 2 turkeys. Make some rolls and one dessert. He and his brothers can decide what else they want. Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

So I'm smoking a cajun style turkey and a regular one. I'm making rolls and probably a pumpkin pie. 

'

I can relate to this so well. There comes a point when other people need to step up. If dd1 didn’t enjoy holiday prep, a whole lot less would be done here.

• Like 1

No clue! Just found out Sat that the in laws’ gathering is not happening. I am not up for lots of cooking! 

We will visit my mom in her AL place sometime that day. The food is not great, so hoping to avoid having our main meal there. Hoping to keep this visit to 90 mins max as my mom is not really fun to be with.

Option 1a: Just the four of us at home; super simple traditional meal. Turkey breast, dressing, veggies, pie.

1b: Just the four of us at home; non-traditional meal like Chinese take out

2: Shared meal with friends; take a couple dishes.

I will definitely make pumpkin pie sometime over that weekend.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

So.

'

I have hosted for years and suggest doing the turkey the day before when you have this many people and nedf to do 2 big meat items.  I heat in chicken broth in the oven, covered in foil an hour or so before the meal.  It's always juicy!  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BusyMom5 said:

I have hosted for years and suggest doing the turkey the day before when you have this many people and nedf to do 2 big meat items.  I heat in chicken broth in the oven, covered in foil an hour or so before the meal.  It's always juicy!  

I will do it the day of. My smoker has 2 racks and it’ll be fine. Thanks for the thoughts tho. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

@gardenmom5, what are chess tarts? ♟️♟️

Not @gardenmom5, but here you go. There are a million recipes. Around here it’s always lemon chess pie or tarts; don’t think I’ve ever seen a chess pie, though there are lots of old recipes for them. Think smooth, creamy in texture but not at all milky. Sometimes almost like a custard, but firmer, and as I said, not milky. It needs to be kept cold, and is served cold. Contrary to what Southern Living says, I don’t think vinegar is an invariable ingredient. I haven’t seen it served with whipped cream or powdered sugar on top, but I suppose someone must do it that way.

https://www.southernliving.com/food/kitchen-assistant/chess-pie-recipes

Edited by Innisfree
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fairfarmhand said:

Interestingly nobody offered to peel and cook mashed potatoes for that many people. If *that person* comments on it, I’ll just say “shall I write you down for potatoes for next year?”

MIL has been so much happier with the holidays since we started splitting up the cooking. It's been worth it to cook some of the dishes. 

• Like 2

back when we were hosting dh's entire family .   .  cooking was assigned out.  everyone was expected to help.  We reached 30 people one year. . . 

It was interesting when mil's grandchildren started reaching adulthood and would also cook/bring items.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clarita said:

MIL has been so much happier with the holidays since we started splitting up the cooking. It's been worth it to cook some of the dishes. 

Really, I didn't mind when it was just 6 adults a couple of teens and a bunch of young kids. But, it's not any more. And....

Hosting...with the cleaning and shopping and all is a LOT of work. Much less the cooking and then the cleaning AFTER everyone leaves. 

I didn't mind doing it with a bit of help from the guests for a long time because they were driving to me but that's changed.

I decided that I'm no longer doing things that I don't want to on the holidays and then fester in resentment. I told my dh he could pick. Thanksgiving on my terms (Smoked turkey, rolls, and a dessert while asking guests to help) or I would make Mexican which could be prepped a day or two before. I was no longer willing to cook the day before, and the day of, clean up all those dishes from the cooking, clean my whole house, etc.

• Like 5

We love this harvest day. The best turkey in the world with boatloads of gravy, stuffing made from dh's bread, kale salad from the garden, cranberries from the bog, pies from our apples and berries. Delicata squash and brussel sprouts though our sprouts are tiny this year from lack of sun.  Homemade pickles and cheeses and homemade jam for apps. I didn't grow any spuds this year so will buy those for garlicky mashed. Sauerkraut for dh and creamy balsamic boiling onions for dd.  Wine, cider, mint tea.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Eos said:

We love this harvest day. The best turkey in the world with boatloads of gravy, stuffing made from dh's bread, kale salad from the garden, cranberries from the bog, pies from our apples and berries. Delicata squash and brussel sprouts though our sprouts are tiny this year from lack of sun.  Homemade pickles and cheeses and homemade jam for apps. I didn't grow any spuds this year so will buy those for garlicky mashed. Sauerkraut for dh and creamy balsamic boiling onions for dd.  Wine, cider, mint tea.

I’ve decided I’m not doing thanksgiving this year.  I’m going to your house instead.    Make room for one more.   😋🤪

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I think I have posted mine before, but here goes:

Smoked turkey breast (dh will brine and smoke it out back)

Twice baked sweet potatoes with herbs and taleggio cheese

Savory cranberry sauce

Macaroni & cheese

Fennel salad with pear and pecorino

Roasted garlic green beans

Rolls from the supermarket

Possibly stuffing (we're still undecided)

White wine/sparkling cider

Dessert/after dinner

Orange cheesecake with cranberry topping

Pumpkin pie

Fruit/cheese tray

Coffee/eggnog

I have learned that ds24 and his gf have rearranged their schedules and dropped offers to spend the day here instead, which is very sweet of them, and we may have a bonus guest or two from their friend circle. If that's the case I'll add an extra dish or two. 

• Like 4

We will be only a few days in our new house, so I want to keep it simple.   And Wed I will be gone all day to a funeral.  

Turkey (DH smokes it)

Sweet Potato Casserole

Mashed potatoes/gravy

rolls

corn

green bean casserole (no mushroom soup in mine!)

I’m doing Thanksgiving this Sunday with my kiddos because they’ll be with their dad on the actual day. There will just be 6 of us, so it’s hard to make a ton of food when several of them are picky eaters. I’ll make: roast Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, mashed sweet potatoes, green beans, stuffing, cranberry sauce, homemade rolls, and then Costco pumpkin and apple pies with vanilla ice cream. 

There will be a ton of leftovers, but we’ll eat it for the rest of the week. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Eos said:

This would be my dream Thanksgiving! It embraces the spirit of the holiday. Alas, my family is a cranberry sauce from a can and crescent rolls from a can kind of family so I don’t even bother.  Enjoy!!

• Like 1

Big buffet meal at mom’s assisted living place, turkey and all the traditional trimmings, plus lobster bisque, prime rib, green salad, asparagus, and cheesecake.

We’ll hang out with friends in the evening and eat turkey sandwiches and random other leftovers. I’ll take a salad and a pie.

So very little work for me. But also no leftovers.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

We always have a big festive meal on Friday nights so I often just move our big Thanksgiving dinner to Friday.  I don't want to eat leftovers on Friday night and I don't want to cook a big meal two days in a row.   Our only guests will be my parents and my BIL so everyone is fine with this.

Menu: matzo ball soup, challah, roast turkey with stuffing, roasted sprouts, cranberry sauce, some other vegetable (maybe chopped salad?), some kind of dessert (apple cake?).   I should ask my mom to bring coleslaw - that always goes fabulously with turkey.

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 4