Menu

What do YOU want for Christmas this year?

DawnM

I have been asked for a list, but this year, with the move and our big Africa trip this summer, I really don't want anything.

A few years ago my husband and son got me a beautiful necklace with the birthstones of all the family on it.   The chain was very thin and it broke.  I have asked for a replacement chain so I can wear it again.

Other than that, I am thinking more of family gifts we can all use.....the personal fire pit for the outside table, an outside table, patio furniture, etc.

What do you want/need/ask for?

• Like 4

I want my POS van to stop breaking down. The door sensor is acting up so the battery died the other day after it thought a door was open all night. My husband banned everyone from using the back doors to prevent that from happening again. Everyone has to crawl in through the front seats, and we put the baby in his seat through the window. It's awesome. 😐 

• Sad 15

I don't have any real wants this year. At least none that are feasible.  I want new running shoes (my last pair was a multiday ordeal in finding and then was the lone pair because the company discontinued the style and they were dug out of the back room as a last ditch effort by the salesman).  I want more room in my house, instead of fretting over where this year's stuff is going to go.  I want knitting needles in sizes 0-3 that I can't mangle, break, or bend out of shape. I want someone to plan all the Christmas activities and wrangle the family together.

That's all.  Not too hard, right? 😄

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, wisdomandtreasures said:

I want my POS van to stop breaking down. The door sensor is acting up so the battery died the other day after it thought a door was open all night. My husband banned everyone from using the back doors to prevent that from happening again. Everyone has to crawl in through the front seats, and we put the baby in his seat through the window. It's awesome. 😐 

Can I ask what kind of van it is?  We have a Chevy Uplander that randomly does strange electrical things and I wondered if it's the same model.  We've were tempted to disconnect the electric doors after they opened by themselves in a rainstorm.  So annoying

• Like 2

I made a wishlist because my adult children were asking.  An Audible membership was high on it (even a month or two would be fun), a bunch of kitchen stuff - I need a wedding shower because everything in my kitchen is falling apart!  Measuring cups, plates and bowls, pans.  I just started an herb aerogarden and I wouldn't mind having another larger one to do lettuce in but $$.  Socks (sounds boring but I love some nice socks and I am always out of them because I don't like wearing shoes in the house.

• Like 5

New back door with installation. It leaks like a sieve. 

Bathroom mirror. I've been saving for months, but it never quite makes it to the top of the budget.

Rice cooker.

New shoes, but I'm impossible to fit.

New car - ours is similar to the van mentioned upthread. But that's out of everyone's budget.

What will I get? Fuzzy socks and cash that will be used for medical bills. *sigh*

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

I always love this topic and enjoy reading everyone’s responses.

I usually have a list of a few things to tell people who ask (usually MIL, mom, dh sometimes), but this year I can’t think of much. I’d like to take my wedding band and engagement ring to be re-sized and call it “my present”, but usually we like presents to be things to unwrap, so we’ll see. I’ve also been looking for TWO YEARS with no luck for a replacement for my slippers. They’re the moccasin style. I’ve tried the $100 UGGS, didn’t like them. I’ve tried the Dearfoams, didn’t like them. My old ones are terrible and I must find something this year. Other things:

Injinji toe socks

Maybe earrings (cheap, kohls)

Body scrub (although I just bought this one for myself and LOVE it!)

I’d like to have a NEST Birchwood Pine candle, but they’re so crazy-expensive that it seems kind of silly. But man, that one smells so good!  I have the little bitty votive one and would love to have one this bigger size!

That’s all I can think of right now!

Edited by mmasc
Added a candle
  • Like 2

My mom bugged and bugged me about this, so I made an Amazon list with jammies, books, and a couple snuggly sweaters on it. Bc what I’d like to do for Christmas break is stay home, be warm, and read!

Mom got me several things NOT on my list. Things I have very little use for and cannot return bc they are ordered from Amazon and the credit will go to her account. 

Dd is going to do a make-up makeover for me. She is knowledgeable about skin care and good at the artistic part. I love this gift! 

I bought my gift for myself already - a nice pair of slippers from LLBean. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 6

There isn't any "thing" I would ask for.  Maybe tickets to our local orchestra - it's been a long time since I've seen them indoors.  Actually, I don't think my kids have ever been to their indoor venue for an actual concert.  May be I should force them as my Christmas gift.  😛

The more I think about it ... some tailoring would be helpful.  But I should have done that in the summer, when I didn't need to wear the coats that need sewed.

These days, just peace, cooperation, and a break from the grind are what I want most.

• Like 6

I want to get tickets to Zoo Lights for all 7 of us and do it right with smores and cocoa. I'm actually going to get this because I'm the event planner of the household. This will be our big holiday shindig. Now I just have to pick a date.

We don't do gifts for adults and we're all adults now except for Astroboy. It's so much less stress when you can just concentrate on activities instead of finding the right gift.

• Like 10

@mmasc The moosehide ones.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/128798?productId=1916868&attrValue_0=Brown&sku=1000200407&pla1=0&qs=3155280&pcd=SAVE10&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAr8eqBhD3ARIsAIe-buMOF4jRx2NWODYpR0nv10lGoPimTx_JZfIJ6hO_jZr0S0AwBqQE24MaAqssEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

They are warm and comfy and sturdy. My feet are narrow, so the slippers are a bit looser over my arch , in the middle of my foot, than I’d like, but this is always true and I am resigned to it. I am happy with my purchase. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

There may be a scout troop nearby that would be happy to have them?!

I like to start with my foster care group and see if there are any foster kids who might need some camping equipment we need to purge.   But right now, everything is in storage, so I have to wait until we get them out!   

• Like 2

Nothing.  Ever since I became an adult I have not ever wanted anything.  I am just not someone that wants things.  I am not into purses, clothes, makeup or really anything else. 

I just got another dog so that really fills my bucket so much. 

A new house - not going to happen

A winning lottery ticket 

And the only thing that I can really think of is a vacation, because you can never have to many of those.

• Like 7

I can't think of any things that someone could buy me either. I'd like a vacation, even a short one. I'd like one of my kids to get a good job and fully launch (the other has achieved that). I'd like more time for pursuing my crafts and reading, and I'm not sure why I don't have enough time for that or why I can't relax in my own home. That's another thread for sure, that I don't think I want to start! 

I did pick up a cocktail muddler the other day for my husband to put in my stocking! 😁

Edited by marbel
  • Like 4

Honestly I’d love to just skip Christmas entirely.  Can we all just hibernate until Easter?

A vacay away somewhere with family would be nice. Maybe go to the movies or to see a Christmas carol play and dinner together.

I keep an Amazon wishlist of things that I’ll probably never actually buy but found interesting or fun.  My family mostly forgets about it too. LOL

• Like 6

Time with people, mostly. In addition to the huge 25-30 person gathering where no one has time to really connect, I’d like lots of small group hangouts with our extended family. We are working on that, but it takes a lot of planning and time!

If I’m dreaming, I’d like to include all of our family, including the ones on my side, but there’s no interest.

DH and I are building built-in bookshelves in our bonus room, and making a huge craft table with storage. That’s really our gift to each other (so excited!).

Speaking of extended family, one side is the list type — I need to provide a list of items in the $20-$30 range, and seriously — I just don’t want much. Dish towels, maybe. Hmmmm.

• Like 6

Can I pick 3? 😉 

Normally I can't think of anything, but with all the remodeling, I've been on Etsy, lol.

EB White

Caverna

A framed print of Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are

I must be getting old but Where the Wild Things Are was my oldest son's favorite book when he was little. Now he's all grown up and moving to Kentucky in December. ❤️ 

• Like 8

I don't really know what I want for Christmas.  Maybe for our deck to be fixed and cleaned up so I can sit out on it and enjoy the beautiful yard I have.  But that is a tall order and really something I just need to schedule on a tolerable weather day and the family would get it done.  So, maybe I'll just do that.

• Like 5

For the longest time I have been looking for an antique architect’s drawings file—the kind that has wide, very short drawers so you can store big drawings flat.  

I would like a big illustrated book about the Candian Rockies, maybe with a travel guide, because I want to visit.

I am at the point in my life where a long rope of pearls necklace would come in handy.   I find this marginally appalling but I still kind of want one.  They are probably very expensive, though.  I guess I should probably check.  Last year I asked for nice pearl studs and have gotten a lot of use out of them.

It’s finally time for a new pair of Altra road runner shoes.  Mine are SO beat down now.

I would also like a fig tree and an avocado tree.

• Like 5

someone to install all the doorknobs (inc. three pushbutton autolocks . . . ) we ordered last summer (the interior pass locks - for bedrooms/bathrooms didn't come until into Oct.). . . . (dh will have time come mid Jan . . .)

I figured out how to get power (without putting a hole through a wall - or maybe just hire an electrician and install another outdoor plug . . )  1) to where I want to put another camera, and possibly two more (each one panning/rotatable on a corner)- so I can also have coverage of our garage doors)   I might put one of my planned interior (facing out side on a window mount) in the garage facing the freezers - so I'll know if someone leaves the door cracked.)

my house cleaned. . . (my health has just been so frustratingly limiting.  I think, I hope, I'm starting to come out of this latest flare . . . finally)

or just crystal beads for my beading  . . . .

a new siamese (or russian blue) kitten. (a siberian forest cat would be too much to hope for)  Or a puppy - for me.  Or a 'retired"/older GSD.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tenaj said:

Can I ask what kind of van it is?  We have a Chevy Uplander that randomly does strange electrical things and I wondered if it's the same model.  We've were tempted to disconnect the electric doors after they opened by themselves in a rainstorm.  So annoying

It's a 2010 Honda Odyssey. 

• Sad 2

I'd like for my utility bills to go down a bit. They jumped almost 100% in the past few years, and it sucks.

Also, a professional service to put up our Christmas decorations for us. Because I usually wind up doing it myself, since DH gets frustrated with tangled wires/lights.

• Like 5

Just now, Carol in Cal. said:

I have always wanted one of these!  But I have no place to put one, so so far I have resisted asking for one.

I do have a cuckoo clock and a Stern, so I’m good.

I'd also love a cuckoo clock! I really want to vacation in Germany so maybe should just find these items there as a souvenir. However, dh is very reluctant to travel internationally at this time.

What I really want. A new pantry!! rip out all the shelves and have the closet company and design something that works on the weid space. 

Things on my amazon list:

Various Sounders wall art

A few books that would be nice to have physical copies.

Countertop Ice maker

And a plunge tub

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MsTake said:

Also, a professional service to put up our Christmas decorations for us. Because I usually wind up doing it myself, since DH gets frustrated with tangled wires/lights.

I hear  you.
This is dh's busiest time of year.  He doesn't' have time to help.
2dd is coming for Thanksgiving - so he's insisting on a live tree this year (we have five nobels we planted as christmas trees and they need to be cut).   I've made it clear I am NOT putting lights on a tree!  we bought a new pre-lit last year. . . 
(I also bought him more candle lights, and those are the only lights he's willing to put on a tree.  and I always end up redoing them . .. 
I think I will break down and buy these - they are SO easy to put on a tree, and super cool (I saw them at a christmas store for a whole lot more than amazon charges.)
I bought a set of two (much cheaper, and shorter) solar versions for two small trees out front.  They stay lit almost all night, and are so cool.

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

I’d love to have our old Regulator clock repaired, but Dh HATES the sound of a ticking and chiming clock and won’t have it. ☹️ I love a ticking, chiming click. 

I love the sound of ticking, but it has to be the right tone/speed. . . It's comforting.  I spent a lot of time at my great-aunt's house as a younger child and she had a cuckoo clock (on the other side of the wall where I slept) and a regulator in my uncle's "hobby" room (he tied flies.).

1 hour ago, Dianthus said:

I'd also love a cuckoo clock! I really want to vacation in Germany so maybe should just find these items there as a souvenir. However, dh is very reluctant to travel internationally at this time.

Some german themed american tourist town.  Most good quality clock shops will have them.
I bought mine at a garage sale (from someone who bought it in Germany), and eventually sold it.
I also bought my grandfather clock off craigslist.  The clock shop guy we had come out to do a repair (years after I bought it, a gear got jammed) was super impressed with what I paid for it.
But I babysat my brother's grandfather clock for seven years.  He ordered it from the factory in Bavaria.  I knew what to look for. 
There was one home show, and I was standing there looking at their "feature"  grandfather clock.  Being very disappointed in its 'lack' of features compared to what my brother's had . . . The salesman walked into that one "this is what a grandfather clock is supposed to be like'. . . no, it really isn't.  The look of shock on his face. . but hey, he asked . . .

Edited by gardenmom5

20 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I’d really like the Lego Friends “Central Perk” set.   I won’t get it because it’s $96 and we’re trying to save $$, but I really would love to have it.  

I bought each of my kids that set last year as it was on sale for $40.  None of them know the show really.  We have shown them a few clips, but they had fun building it nonetheless

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Dd is going to do a make-up makeover for me. She is knowledgeable about skin care and good at the artistic part. I love this gift! 

Whoa whoa whoa, hold up there, I never thought of asking for this as a gift. It's going on the list! 

• Like 4

Neither will happen, but I'd be delighted if someone organised for my enamelled cast iron pan to be repaired and for my gas system to be adapted for a second bottle so I'm not without hot water for days when the single bottle runs out. I'm really not sure why that wasn't recommended when the gas was first installed...

7 hours ago, wisdomandtreasures said:

We had this problem. If you pull fuse number 7, it will stop the battery drain (and unfortunately kill the autolocks and kill the power part of the doors but you can manually slide them) until you can figure out if it is the sensor or the latch. 

This is a pretty wellknown issue with a lot of fixer DIY videos on YouTube and advice on the Ody Club website.

• Like 5