Menu

Window Replacement - This seems high, right?

BlsdMama

After reading all the reviews, we'd like our windows replaced with Pella. Original to the house we had Andersen,  I opted for the Lifestyle line (aluminum on outside and wood inside) black outside and stained black inside. We have a ranch -   15 windows main floor (3 bay),  patio slider, front door with two sidelites, and 2 egress.

They'd take out windows, replace windows and put up  the new trim we provide.

Anyone want to take a guess?

I'm going to guess $25,000-$30,000

3 bays plus a slider door plus a door with side lights 5 @$3,000 each = $15,000

12 standard windows at $1,000 each = $12,000. 

Just based on costs for my sunroom windows that went in last year (although mine were just vinyl, I'm assuming the aluminum/wood is more so you might have to tack on another $5,000-10,000 depending on how fancy that window design is) . Post COVID prices on building stuff just sucks!

Edited by cjzimmer1

22 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

$30,000 plus installation. 

We need to get a French door replaced- aluminum outside, wood inside- and quotes have been $4500-6000 depending on the exact door.  

I want to replace our front door (the kind with two sidelights) but the cost keeps me putting it off. I can’t justify spending that much on something that really is just a want. 

41 minutes ago, Bambam said:

Wait a second. Windows need to be replaced? Vs upgraded? And these prices are scaring me. Our home is 15-17 years old. How long do windows last? 

Ouch on all of these guesses. 

Define replaced vs upgraded?

We replaced all of our windows over 15 years ago and on the south side of the house (where the sun is very strong) some of them are failing. They are clouded between glass and it’s driving me mad. We are looking to completely replace a few of them with larger windows when we remodel. 

I'm going to guess $30k. I did my windows for $12k 10 years ago, but how much windows cost range very wildly depending on the windows. Big factors are the size of the windows, any sliding doors/french doors or doors to exterior, climate (we have moderate climate so our window materials didn't need to be top of the line), if there is multiple stories, bay windows, etc.  3 windows of our house was more than 50% of the total, we have a giant window in the front and the 2 patio doors. Our house is only 1 story so installation cost was minimal.

1 hour ago, Bambam said:

Wait a second. Windows need to be replaced? Vs upgraded? And these prices are scaring me. Our home is 15-17 years old. How long do windows last? 

I've rarely heard of people needed to upgrade/replace windows unless their windows were the single pane aluminum things. Most people I know just replace those single pane aluminum windows and that's that. I don't know how long current windows last but 10-15years seem short.

$40,000? Wouldn’t be surprised for it to be more.

Seven years ago we got quotes for a smaller job with a more basic window that were in the 20,000+ range. Ours didn’t include doors or anything other than one big window with two sliders plus 14 standard double hung windows.

We went with the super basic white vinyl and found a company that did it for $7500. But quotes for something higher quality/more aesthetically pleasing were over 20k so this can easily be 40k in my mind. 

2 hours ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

Define replaced vs upgraded?

We replaced all of our windows over 15 years ago and on the south side of the house (where the sun is very strong) some of them are failing. They are clouded between glass and it’s driving me mad. We are looking to completely replace a few of them with larger windows when we remodel. 

For me, replacement would be because windows are cracked, clouded between panes, etc - just basically not functional as windows.
Upgraded would be original single pane older windows upgraded to double or triple pane.  So something more energy efficient. 

• Like 2

I recently had this done and it was juuuust under $11,000 but we got a quote from another company that wanted $24,000 so I'm going to guess $20,000. Way too much. We had the same company out 6 years ago at our old house, same size house, almost same number of windows, and it was $5,500. Inflation... 😭😭😭

Edited by wisdomandtreasures

53 minutes ago, cintinative said:

y'all are scaring me so bad. We need new windows really badly 

same.  New windows, roof, flooring, big house repairs, and I know our central air and most appliances are going to go anytime now...  it's cheaper just to buy a new house I think.

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

26 minutes ago, cintinative said:

y'all are scaring me so bad. We need new windows really badly but we haven't had the money to put to it. I was hoping it would be under $12K.  Oy.

We found that there are other brands of windows that are much cheaper than the Pella that the sales guy was pushing. We’re in our 60’s so we really didn’t need top of the line replacements.  It can be done affordably. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Kassia said:

same.  New windows, roof, flooring, big house repairs, and I know our central air is going to go anytime now...  it's cheaper just to buy a new house I think.

Probably cheaper and I get so stressed having repairs ongoing. For me moving would be less stressful.

We have been in our house 8 years. In that time we have done windows, doors, roof, gutters, siding, flooring in half the house, complete gut and remodel of the basement family room/bedroom/bathroom, replaced the entire HVAC, water heater, washer and dryer, oven, dishwasher (twice!), took down wallpaper in two bathrooms and refinished two shower/tubs. Plus painting everything.

We still need to replace the carpeting that is still in the upstairs of the house and remodel the kitchen and two bathrooms that we just did temporary fixes on and the refrigerator is on borrowed time. It never ends.

We are listing our house next week. I can’t bear to do the things that still need to be done and I feel like we need to get out before we need to start doing some of the things we have done again. 15 years sounds like a long time when the roof goes on but then you turn around and realize you will need a new roof in a few years. 

Anyways @BlsdMama tell us how much you were quoted for these windows!!! 

• Like 2

I wish I was shocked by that but for the type of window you described it sounds…not surprising? I was going to say reasonable but my brain can’t make it reasonable. Windows are crazy. 

It is worth getting a few quotes because it can vary widely but if those are the windows you want it is going to be very expensive. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cintinative said:

@BlsdMama that just seems insane to me. Does that include permit fees?  

It does include permits. They will also put on my new trim - we buy, cut, paint, but they mount.

Breakdown for the front of the house:
Casement window in front of kitchen - $2568
Bay windows will now be a large square picture window with two casements on either side - $5165 times 2
Double hung large - $1652 times 2
Door - $6823 (inc. side lites)
Storm door - $1248
$1600 Materials and waste disposal

Edited by BlsdMama

11 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

I wish I was shocked by that but for the type of window you described it sounds…not surprising? I was going to say reasonable but my brain can’t make it reasonable. Windows are crazy. 

It is worth getting a few quotes because it can vary widely but if those are the windows you want it is going to be very expensive. 

Is it because they're black or wood or aluminum clad?  It's not their premier line so I was guessing not *cheap* but not insane.

I read your description, our windows aren't that fancy. I second trying for a few quotes to see if all of them land in the same ball park or to see which ball park they mostly land in. You can also see what less fancy gets you, even with the same brand. Some of the things my window installer and I discussed were which windows needed the upgrades and which didn't. They should be able to give you the price of each window separately and you can play around with that.

Just now, BlsdMama said:

Is it because they're black or wood or aluminum clad?  It's not their premier line so I was guessing not *cheap* but not insane.

there is several pricing factors the glass pane and what goes between the double panes, and then material used to frame the windows. The person you are talking with about the windows should be able to help you figure out what combination you need from a practical functional standpoint and tell you where your expense is coming from and how to compromise to get it closer to your budget.

Just now, cintinative said:
8 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

Door - $6823 (inc. side lites)
Storm door - $1248

This is just shocking to me.  I mean, the other numbers are *gasp* but these? I don't get it.

There is a huge price range on doors. Doors with windows is more, doors with large windows even more. The windows hey use for doors are more significant/stronger than the windows they use for windows.

I'm currently in the market for a front door and the price quoted is pretty much what our door will cost. It sounds like it's a front door hole that could probably be a double door except instead of double doors it's one door with two windows on the side. It is a fancy door.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

I’m totally not an expert as we were replacing on a lower end house and just trying to do the cheapest thing and went with white vinyl which looks great and is totally appropriate for our home. But we did have someone come out who only sold Pella and the quote was really high. 

I do think the wood and the black are adding cost. I think the number you were expecting is closer to what you would be looking at if you went with the most economy model windows. Again, I’m not an expert, just going on our limited experience.

None of that to say that you shouldn’t want what you want!  Just that every feature adds cost x lots of windows. Then the doors and the sidelights and all of that adds up. It’s awful. 

I hope you find what you like at a price you are more comfortable with. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Clarita said:

There is a huge price range on doors. Doors with windows is more, doors with large windows even more. The windows hey use for doors are more significant/stronger than the windows they use for windows.

I'm currently in the market for a front door and the price quoted is pretty much what our door will cost. It sounds like it's a front door hole that could probably be a double door except instead of double doors it's one door with two windows on the side. It is a fancy door.

It is - and it's a really big area. Sigh.  Our exterior is brick so it is what it is.  The upside is that acreages in our area are hot currently.  The house value has more than doubled since we moved here 10 years ago, very nearly tripled. 

13 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

I’m totally not an expert as we were replacing on a lower end house and just trying to do the cheapest thing and went with white vinyl which looks great and is totally appropriate for our home. But we did have someone come out who only sold Pella and the quote was really high. 

I do think the wood and the black are adding cost. I think the number you were expecting is closer to what you would be looking at if you went with the most economy model windows. Again, I’m not an expert, just going on our limited experience.

None of that to say that you shouldn’t want what you want!  Just that every feature adds cost x lots of windows. Then the doors and the sidelights and all of that adds up. It’s awful. 

I hope you find what you like at a price you are more comfortable with. 

The windows at the front of the house are really big and the incredible lighting (east facing) is my favorite thing about the house.

I wonder if it would be weird to do fancy in front, but black vinyl in the mudroom, laundry room, basement egress windows (3), and patio door at the back of the house.....

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

It is - and it's a really big area. Sigh.  Our exterior is brick so it is what it is.  The upside is that acreages in our area are hot currently.  The house value has more than doubled since we moved here 10 years ago, very nearly tripled. 

The windows at the front of the house are really big and the incredible lighting (east facing) is my favorite thing about the house.

I wonder if it would be weird to do fancy in front, but black vinyl in the mudroom, laundry room, basement egress windows (3), and patio door at the back of the house.....

I don’t think it would be weird at all to do fancy in front but black vinyl in back. I think that is a good compromise and I think that is a common suggestion. It’s like doing shutters and the decorative panes etc on front that aren’t done on back commonly. 

28 minutes ago, QueenCat said:

I'd forget about Pella and get estimates from local glass companies.

This. Look at Gerkin windows. They are out of Nebraska—more of a Midwest region only kind of company—but they put out a good quality window. We used them for some of our replacement windows several houses ago. Prices were 1/3 of Pella and Anderson in the quotes at the time. They held up well to the wild temperature swings and driving wind and snow.

• Like 2