Menu

We're getting a Whole Foods - What do I need/want to know?

Lady Florida.

There have been rumors for over a year and now WF has confirmed that it's going to be opening a store in my town some time next year. Many of us would have preferred a Trader Joe's but for whatever reason that's not happening anytime soon. I've heard Whole Foods called Whole Paycheck. Is that accurate? We already have Fresh Market. How similar or different is WF?

Any favorites there? Things that can't usually be found elsewhere? We don't typically buy organic so I'm not even sure I'll care much about WF. 

It's super expensive for daily shopping.  It's great for loss leaders only and one-off gourmet ingredients you can't find otherwise. You can find inventory on Amazon. You get a discount for bringing your own bags (at least that's back at our closest store) and for logging in with your amazon prime account on your phone.

If you like healthy-ish recipes their deli items make a good substitute for takeout. I'm not convinced it IS healthier (it all tastes like plenty of sugar, salt, and oil have been included), but it tastes good and feels virtuous.

I've read AWFUL things online about their managers lying about meat sources when they ran out of the pastured grass fed kind, or substituting farmed fish for wild salmon.

• Like 2

We have had a WF for about five years now. My admittedly little experience with them has been constant disappointment. I need a weird ingredient and think, "Oh, I bet WF would have it, " and they don't. When I'm there (which is rare), I see something that sounds like it would be good, so I get it, and it's not. Not awful, just not great enough to get more either. That is especially true of their prepared foods. Prices are high and I'm just not impressed enough with anything I've gotten. We do have a TJs and I love it.

ETA we have a high end local grocery that competes with them and does a better job in almost every way IMO. So that grocery is my first go to for WF type stuff.

Edited by livetoread
  • Like 1

I love their bulk dry stuff aisle.  And it’s nice to be able to reliably find somewhat more obscure items, like Ashbrook cheese (a treat fave of mine) or kefir based drinks.  They have no artisan 100% whole grain bread, which I find surprising.  Some of their deli and premade selections are great, others are underwhelming.  I especially like the very low fat scallop cakes, and the orzo/feta pasta salad, although that last one is easy to make and the recipe is in their Whole Foods Cookbook.  The polenta pizza crust is wonderful. It has so much flavor in and of itself that you don’t need greasy toppings at all.

• Like 1

Their non organic eggs are similar price to elsewhere. Restrooms are typically cleaner than elsewhere (e.g. Target) so we used them for rest stops on road trips. My kids enjoy the cakes and pizza slices as a treat. It is also a convenient Amazon returns location for us.  We are surrounded by Whole Food stores though and honestly Grocery Outlet is sometimes more expensive than them. They are spacious enough that it is easy to social distance in the store. 

• Like 1

Our WF used to be where you’d find tons of things you couldn’t buy anywhere else, especially personal care. Slowly, a lot of “their unique to WF” things have disappeared from their shelves. What they do now carry is also available at Target. 

They still do have unique things. They are mostly expensive “substitutes” such as Daiya Cheezecake and vegan mayonnaise . They still have a better selection of different types and brands of yogurt. 

The produce is okay, with their selection being somewhat better than the typical store. 

They DO carry lots of nuts, both conventional and organic. This selection is way better than most stores. 

What I have found to be true more than before is that their prices aren’t as hugely outrageous as compared to other stores. That gap has narrowed with rising prices all around and products just disappearing. 

Personally, though, I still come out better by going to Aldi for organic rice and other things, and WF for those few items I need but can’t find anywhere else. 

Overall, I think it’s becoming more like any other store with slightly higher to moderately higher prices on some things. 

• Like 1

There are a few things I specifically like at Whole Foods, so I go there occasionally. I find some of their 365 branded items are similar in price to a "regular" grocery store.  A few examples:

- 365 brand sprouted wheat bread (in the packaged bread area, not the bakery) is very good. It is cheaper than the similar bread from Wegman's and our regional chain (Giant) and, I think, better. It is more expensive than the similar bread at Aldi, but significantly tastier. 

- The yogurt I usually buy, Stonyfield, is similar in price to my regular grocery store, and often cheaper. 

- 365 brand olive oil was highly rated and tastes better "raw" than what I had been using, at a similar price. 

- produce is generally about the same as the regular grocery, with the exception of fresh herbs like cilantro, which is always much fresher than at other stores. 

There is a 5 cent credit for bringing your own bag. My store has a large self-checkout area which is nice as I usually don't buy a lot. The employees are nice. The stereotype of the rude shopper is generally true, I have found.  Or maybe it's just my area. But people can be very pushy when they want to get to something, though those same people will also take their time examining labels, etc. Kids tend to be allowed to run wild there. It's just interesting to me to note. I am a cranky old lady but I don't find this to be the same at other stores. And since I don't want to be an old lady in everyone's way, I take care to be aware of my surroundings and if I sense someone behind me trying to get where I am, I'll move away and go back later (if I need to examine labels, etc). 

• Like 1

@marbelThat’s interesting. In my area, Walmart is the place to go for oblivious, rude shoppers. I can’t wait to get to WF where people are friendly and aware of others in the store, and the cashiers are just great. They do an unbelievable job of bagging up all the groceries. Must be a regional thing, I guess, lol. But, gosh, Trader Joe’s. That store is the friendliest, happiest store I’ve ever been in!!

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 1

They have a salmon that beats all others except for a few pieces I've had at $$$ restaurants. It is the 365 and I didn't buy it for a long time since it says Farm-raised but it is by a sustainable farm in Norway? I can't remember the country but it is very good. Is is a two pound pack in the frozen section. I go there sometimes to get salmon and shop the sales. They can have good sales and their prices aren't as high as they were before amazon bought them. 

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

What I have found to be true more than before is that their prices aren’t as hugely outrageous as compared to other stores. That gap has narrowed with rising prices all around and products just disappearing. 

Same. WF used to be significantly more expensive across the board than other grocery stores in my area, but I now find it generally comparable to Publix.  And the produce is far better at WF.

There is a Fresh Market not far away that I occasionally drop into -- IME, WF is much larger and less expensive.

The Amazon Prime discounts can add up, so if you are not already a Prime member you might consider that.  And if you are a Prime member, get the WF app on your phone so you can scan your bar code and get the discounts at the store.

• Like 3

I wish we would get a WF.  All we have is WalMart and 2 other grocery stores with lousy produce and limited choices.  When I drive down to WF, the prices are actually cheaper than the stores here, for the most part.  Which just shows the lack of competition here, IMO.

The wild-caught frozen cod is good.  And various veggies I can't find around here.  Their veggies are fresher than anything here, too.

Their 365 brand of stuff seems to be pretty good.  Although it can be hit and miss.  I once got some oj in a carton that was fantastic.  Next time I got it it was sour.

I was getting a lot of stuff off the hot bar and the desserts until recently.  I just liked the way some of it tasted.  But I went back to eating vegan recently so won't be doing much of that anymore.

I was disappointed they didn't have some of the Asian products like I used to find in Asian stores (not where we live now - there aren't any Asian stores here).  But we drove down to another city in the DFW metroplex yesterday - an actual Asian market with live turtles and live bullfrogs and all!  It was exciting. - and I found tons of Asian things I've been looking for and couldn't find since we moved here.  And lots of great veggies.  Plus, ALL of it was cheaper than our grocery stores and WF.  And fresher.  

I usually sign into my amazon account on my phone and push the basket symbol to get to the WF code.  The cashier showed me how to do that.  Is there a discount for downloading the WF app and using that?  I try not to put too many apps on my old phone (S7).

Guess I'll start taking my own bags.  I didn't realize they gave discounts for that. 

I don't notice much about the other shoppers.  It's in the DFW metroplex so it just feels like typical city interactions to me.  They're nice, but moving fast.

Edited by kathyl

My husband and I eat a low sodium diet.

The 365 house brand of no sodium added canned beans is highly affordable compared to other brands of NSA canned beans.

We also buy the 365 honey mustard.

Oh, and my husband likes their frozen shelled edamame as the soybeans are grown in the US rather than imported.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

I live within walking distance of two WF's and I rarely go. I do think their prepared foods are really good. Their bread is great, for example. But it's not so much better than, say, Wegman's. The quality of their meat and cheeses and so forth are really good. I think of it sort of as a splurge place. It's like, you're making a super fancy holiday meal and want the top notch quality stuff that you wouldn't usually spring for.

We were walking past the other day after going to the movies and bought cookies from the cookie bar for the walk home. That's the sort of thing I end up using it for more.

I guess if you're vegan, I've heard the Plnt Burger, which ours mostly all have now, is pretty good. But I haven't had one yet.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

IME, WF is great if you don’t have a lot of organic options in your area and middling to poor if you do. I have a lot of options here, and am always disappointed when I step into WF. 

I agree largely with this. 

If you have a Fresh Market, WF is going to feel like mostly the same stuff without the... charm? Ambience? 

We have TJs, WF, FM, Earth Fare, Earth Origins, and Publix. We had a Lucky's, which was the BEST. My main store is Publix, and I hit TJ and EO monthly. I only venture into WF if there is a health item that I need immediately and EO is out. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I had a feeling WF wasn't going to impress me and I'm sorry to find out I was probably right. We don't have Wegman's here so I don't know what that's like. We had an Earth Fare that opened right before Covid but didn't survive the early pandemic and closed within a year. We also had Lucky's for many years but that closed for reasons unrelated to Covid. I've got Publix, Aldi, Target, Walmart, and Fresh Market all within a 10 minute drive. We also have a store something like Fresh Market but locally owned called Downtown Produce (it's nowhere near any downtown lol). Oh, and Costco right up the road. Urban Prime will be opening near the end of this year. 

Forgot to mention—the parking lots are insane.  People are so intense and drive very aggressively there, it’s really odd, and there are kids running around, and the combo is alarming.  You have all these hippy dippy chill wow man type folks but by gosh that parking spot is THEIRS, and they WILL HAVE IT.  

• Like 1

WF is not conveniently enough located to make it worth my while to go there regularly. However, I do appreciate their commitment to humanely raising and processing of the animals they sell for meat. I think I live close enough for home delivery, though; I should check that out.

I mostly shop at TJs, but Whole Foods is only a mile away, so I often go there to grab a few things in between major shopping trips. The store is always really clean, people are friendly and considerate, there's tons of parking, and the produce at mine is really good. A lot of their own brand stuff (365) is also good and comparable in price to TJs. They also have really good sales and most of the sale items will have an additional discount for Prime members — plus you get an extra 5% back if you have a Prime credit card. Those three discounts stacked together will usually beat prices anywhere else I shop.

Mine also accepts Amazon returns, which is awesome because you don't need to repackage things or print out labels — I just hand them the item and show the return code on my phone and the refund is in my account within minutes.

• Like 2

I hit WF probably every 6-8 weeks.  We live in a major metro, I go to 3 different WF stores fairly regularly depending on what else is going on that particular day.   One is in a downtown area with underground parking.

What I would say for us and given how we shop I do like whole foods for ....

• Produce, especially when it's not farmer's market or CSA season
  • I find their 365 brand pretty reasonable IF you are already trying to shop toward organic, minimally processed items.  Peanut butter is a HUGE reason I do an occassional WF stock up.  Also crackers, bulk items, nuts, dried fruit, canned beans, tomatoes etc
  • Organic milk is often a little cheaper here than other places I buy it.
  • I watch for bulk meat deals
  • Both our closest whole foods are pretty urban and have fantastic deli/meal options.  They have sit down dining and lunch crowds.  Definitely not a super cheap option, but we do indulge on busy days occasionally.
  • I buy WF brand multivitamins.  They are actually considerbly more affordable than vitamins I would consider of comperable quality.  
  • We have a prime Visa that we use there so we get the 5 percent deal.
  • I'm a sucker for their cheese selection.
  • We did use delivery and curbside during covid which I was very grateful for at the time.

Never noticed anything remotely weirder than the average parking lot/ramp in any WF parking lots and I've been going since my kids were in diapers and they are now 18 and 22.  

If you are happy with your regular shopping options, you probably won't be super interested in WF.  We have some food sensitivities, so being able to find some lower ingredient, less processed items is very helpful here. 

ETA - I don't think they have as many weird things as they used to have.  We shopped there more when our kids were younger.  Like recently I was looking for barley malt syrup which I know I have bought there (I use it in sourdough pumpernickel, etc).     And they don't have it now.

Edited by catz
  • Like 1

We have a WF. I only go there because I can walk there, go around the lake it’s on, then get a drink and pastry on their balcony. I also like to do Amazon returns there because it’s convenient. It’s the most expensive store in town and we have a Wegman’s and a Harris Teeter. I tend to do my shopping at Aldi, Lidl, Trader Joe’s, or LA Mart with a monthly visit to Costco. With all the choice in the world i dodge Whole Foods. 

• Like 1

I buy as much produce as I can from a local farmer’s market that requires all items be grown within 50 miles of its location. The remainder of our food comes from Whole Foods. I love them! I am disappointed to hear about rude shoppers and drivers, that is so not my experience. In fact, it isn’t unusual to end up in a conversation with another shopper or to have someone ask me if I can reach an item for them, etc. Every so often, I price compare to Target and have always found that WF has better price and better quality, esp for organic berries. As far as Whole Paycheck - I think it depends on what you are buying. Their store brand spaghetti sauce is amazingly cheap and really good. (I recently read an article that rated marinara sauces and WF store brand came in 2nd place.) Yes, you can buy a $12 jar of marinara sauce, but why when you can buy a good one for $2.50? Same with their store brand olive oil. It is good and a great price. I should add that I eat Whole Foods, Plant Based, gluten free, almost zero processed foods. I am not buying premade foods, meat, cheese, etc, though I did buy those items at WF before changing my nutrition. Right now WF has mangoes 5 for $4.50. I normally buy 10 at a time when they are that price. I look for what is on sale and that is what I eat for the week. (I switched menu planning when I started shopping at the farmer’s market. I buy what is in season, then go home and decide what to make with those items, instead of making a menu then going to store to get the needed items. So much easier, less decisions!) I love their frozen fruits and organic greens. My DH stops by a regular grocery store on his way to work on Mondays so he can buy frozen meals and apples for meals at the office. He has been commenting lately that WF organic gala apples are cheaper than the conventional apples at the regular grocery and much fresher tasting. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, katilac said:

If the bakery has the Berry Chantilly Cake, you absolutely want one. 

33 minutes ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

Yes!  I had it for the first time last month for my birthday and I regret not trying it years ago!

We tried that but still prefer the tiramisu. 

• Like 1

This might not be what you’re looking for, but here’s my unpopular opinion. I’ve never been impressed by them and they smell funny. Almost 1/3 of the store is taken up with non food items. I can get organic and whole grain foods that are just as good at our regional chain, and they are much less expensive.

FWIW I’m not impressed with Trader Joe’s either, for some of the same, and some different reasons. 

• Like 4

Meh. They are not the most expensive and they are not the cheapest for many things. 

Their tofu is by far the cheapest, if you like tofu. 

Their non vegan cookies taste just like every other "bakery" cookie. The vegan ones are the only decent ones. 

The bread used to be reasonably priced, but I make my own now. 

The items that they are cheaper for that I tend to only need in the evening I usually just suck it up and go to another near by health food store or drive to the suburbs to hit another store. The parking lot at our Whole Foods is far too small for the amount of traffic, and it feels like I am flirting with death whenever I go. I will not bike or take public transit to shop there due to how bad it is. I want my, however flimsy, metal box around me to provide even a tiny bit of defense from the hoards of people who clearly have never driven their over sized vehicles in a small parking lot. I hope the tiny, too small, parking lot is not a nation wide trend. 

• Like 1

We are strictly GF, mostly plants, & cook mostly from scratch; DH is an Amazon Prime member, but I'm not. I drive past WF and TJ's to get to Wegmans every week. (Except today: I'm not going in that direction, so I'm getting food from Wegmans delivered.)

On 4/30/2023 at 11:24 AM, Lady Florida. said:

There have been rumors for over a year and now WF has confirmed that it's going to be opening a store in my town some time next year. Many of us would have preferred a Trader Joe's but for whatever reason that's not happening anytime soon. I've heard Whole Foods called Whole Paycheck. Is that accurate? We already have Fresh Market. How similar or different is WF?

Any favorites there? Things that can't usually be found elsewhere? We don't typically buy organic so I'm not even sure I'll care much about WF. 

Ha, your title! 🙂  We have Fresh Market (have been a customer for 30 years), WF and TJ as well as the "comeback" Earthfare.  It "seems" WF was more expensive or above market price years ago.   It seems many of their products are spot on with other comparable foods at other stores.  With that said, there are some things that still do seem higher.  I buy my Ezekiel bread from TJ - best price.  DH likes cottage cheese from WF.  Meats may or actually seem higher at WF unless there is a sale.  WF produce here is terrible looking at one location and always looks better at their other store location.   The berries are good at WF and even better when on sale.  If you are an Amazon Prime member (we are not) you gain an even better discount.  I'd make a list of your top foods and just check out the price difference.  

• Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 2:52 PM, Farrar said:

Wegman's

Oh, I love Wegman's!!! It's my favorite place to visit when we go to NY. 😍

I do love Whole Foods. I just enjoy looking at all the different things they have. The hot food bar is really delicious at my nearest WF.

If you have Amazon prime, the sales/extra savings can make things comparable but it's definitely not the cheapest option. Dh does most of our shopping and he goes to Aldi, Lidl or the Korean grocery store mostly. 

There are a few things at Trader Joe's we will go for.

And a few things at Whole Foods I will go for..

-The 365 brand of frozen vegan "chicken" patties. My son is a vegan and I'm vegetarian and these are the best we've found. They aren't healthy but are a good quick option to have at home. In general, they have a fair amount of good quick things for vegans/vegetarians. 

-Senor Fields salsa. 

-Fig spread (they probably have this other places, I just know it's there) 

-Cheese "ends"- my husband likes cheese and they sell their small ends of cheese at a low price. They don't fit into a pretty package but are otherwise fine and it's a fun way to try different fancy cheeses. 

The only other thing I  go there for is to get food for dinner when I don't want to cook. There is one right beside by daughters dance studio. It's more expensive than making food myself but less expensive than take-out or going out. And I can grab a bunch of things that various people will eat...pico de gallo, sushi, cheese, spreads...etc. They also have a good hot bar and a good salad bar. 

And the Amazon returns are really a bonus. You can just take it in, no box. It's crazy easy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alice said:

The only other thing I  go there for is to get food for dinner when I don't want to cook. There is one right beside by daughters dance studio. It's more expensive than making food myself but less expensive than take-out or going out. And I can grab a bunch of things that various people will eat...pico de gallo, sushi, cheese, spreads...etc. They also have a good hot bar and a good salad bar. 

Thanks. I often do that at Fresh Market and will have to compare when WF opens. We can have a nice dinner for two for $20-$25. Way cheaper than going out when I don't feel like cooking. 

1 minute ago, Alice said:

And the Amazon returns are really a bonus. You can just take it in, no box. It's crazy easy. 

I do that at Kohl's which is a bit closer than Whole Foods will be when they open. It will be good to have options though, when I'm running errands closer to one place than the other.