Menu

hit or miss gifts

lynn

Grandson loves Picasso tiles.  He held the box with both arms wrapped around it when he went home.

Granddaughter loved the belle and Ariel costumes/nightgown dresses.  She put on the belle with the crown and twirled and posed as soon as she opened it.

Melissa and Doug cutting food was also a big hit.  

• Like 11

Hits:

Dh loved the multi-tool his dad got him for his truck.  It's an air compressor, charger, and usb charger.  Ds and I each have a smaller air compressor for our vehicles but they're not made for the weight of dh's, so he was thrilled.

Oldest ds is ecstatic about his new egg pan.  It has already been used twice, lol

Youngest ds got a new chair that he hasn't left except to sleep.

I got the Federalist Papers and Don Quixote. 🙂  After spending the last few months reading all the FPs online, it is nice to have a beautiful copy.

Misses:

Two of the shirts I bought for dh can only be considered "Tall" if the intended wearer is an elf.  They cannot be returned, so they will be set aside until we figure out what to do.

The Flu.  It's the gift that is making the rounds in a twisted game of Yankee Swap. 

• Like 7

Hits:

Dh wrote a book for me and him and the kids illustrated it.

Ds9 got the commercial cotton candy machine he has been asking for for many years.

Ds14 has been using his new wireless earbuds all morning while putting together his gaming chair

And so many other major hits

No misses

• Like 5

The kids both got winter tires on their cars about a month ago, so the gifts under the tree were very few this year.

They were both happy with their gifts.

DS: Briksmax lights for his Lego F•r•i•e•n•d•s apartments and a reed diffuser air freshener.

DD: Utility cart for her crochet supplies, and a Charmed Aroma penguin candle.

• Like 5

I had bought my dad tickets for the Liberty Bowl game. Except now he won't be here to use them. I bought insurance (thinking weather events), but it will be at least Monday before I find out if we can use it-and If not, I don't know thAt we'll have enough time to sell them. 

We haven't opened gifts yet, but one of my gifts isn't getting wrapped-we're setting up the former school room as my office/craft room. I think that will be very nice. 

Edited by Dmmetler
  • Like 2
  • Sad 5

Younger Dd loved her new computer.  She needed a better graphics card with more memory because she wants to be able to use recording software while playing video games and her old computer was very laggy when trying to do that.   She also got a jacket and some stuffies for her favorite game, which she asked for. 

Older dd got cash for a new couch.  We'll go couch shopping in the next couple weeks.  That's what she asked for so she was happy.

Ds got cash and a bunch of smaller stuff since there was nothing he really wanted.  He actually really liked a few trial size packages of hand-wipes that I got him.  He is a bit ocd about washing his hands and these will be helpful when he's at school.   

• Like 3

No misses

Biggest hits: metal detector, too cold to try out but ds12 is super excited about it

dd15 got a box with a weeks worth of Monkees t shirts. That is her current fandom and she was ecstatic 

for me: the kids all went in and got me one of those photo frames that they can send pictures to from their phones. Two went away to college this year and I was missing them and curious about their new lives, so I love love love this. Plus I’m terrible about getting pictures printed so they just live in our devices so will be so glad to see them 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Hits:

Dh wrote a book for me and him and the kids illustrated it.

Ds9 got the commercial cotton candy machine he has been asking for for many years.

Ds14 has been using his new wireless earbuds all morning while putting together his gaming chair

And so many other major hits

No misses

What is your ds planning on doing with the cotton candy machine?

29 minutes ago, saraha said:

No misses

Biggest hits: metal detector, too cold to try out but ds12 is super excited about it

dd15 got a box with a weeks worth of Monkees t shirts. That is her current fandom and she was ecstatic 

for me: the kids all went in and got me one of those photo frames that they can send pictures to from their phones. Two went away to college this year and I was missing them and curious about their new lives, so I love love love this. Plus I’m terrible about getting pictures printed so they just live in our devices so will be so glad to see them 

Aww the gift you got is so sweet!!  Which one is it?  That might be on my list in a few years

2 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

I had bought my dad tickets for the Liberty Bowl game. Except now he won't be here to use them. I bought insurance (thinking weather events), but it will be at least Monday before I find out if we can use it-and If not, I don't know thAt we'll have enough time to sell them. 

We haven't opened gifts yet, but one of my gifts isn't getting wrapped-we're setting up the former school room as my office/craft room. I think that will be very nice. 

Oh that really stinks.  I hope you get the money back or tickets sold.

3 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Hits:

Dh loved the multi-tool his dad got him for his truck.  It's an air compressor, charger, and usb charger.  Ds and I each have a smaller air compressor for our vehicles but they're not made for the weight of dh's, so he was thrilled.

Oldest ds is ecstatic about his new egg pan.  It has already been used twice, lol

Youngest ds got a new chair that he hasn't left except to sleep.

I got the Federalist Papers and Don Quixote. 🙂  After spending the last few months reading all the FPs online, it is nice to have a beautiful copy.

Misses:

Two of the shirts I bought for dh can only be considered "Tall" if the intended wearer is an elf.  They cannot be returned, so they will be set aside until we figure out what to do.

The Flu.  It's the gift that is making the rounds in a twisted game of Yankee Swap. 

Boo on the Flu.  How are your Ds and your Dh feeling?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

What is your ds planning on doing with the cotton candy machine?

Two things. 1. When we have big family gatherings in the summer (I'm the youngest of 7 and my parents have 25 grandkids) he wants to make them cotton candy.

2. He wants to find a way to sell it cotton candy and make some money

• Like 5

1 minute ago, hjffkj said:

Two things. 1. When we have big family gatherings in the summer (I'm the youngest of 7 and my parents have 25 grandkids) he wants to make them cotton candy.

That is awesome.  So is his other idea.  Beats the lemonade stand idea easily.  

One of the biggest hits was a stocking stuffer - a Playmobil surprise character. My kids were deep into Playmobil as kids. My daughter and I were in Wegmans (grocery store) and she saw them, said "would this be too dumb to get [brother]?" Oh heck no, and let's get one for you too!  My son loved the surprise and bonus, the figure was a firefighter holding the jaws of life... my kid is a volunteer FF (who happens to be at a fire right now). Super fun little thing.  https://legacytoys.com/products/mystery-figures-boys-series-22?variant=40207501754441

I think everyone was pleased. It was heavy on books but everyone seemed with the selections. We got a few games which are always a gamble; I won't know if those are hits till we open them and try to play them. 

My gifts were all awesome:  2 cookbooks, a beautiful Cavallini calendar, a gorgeous jigsaw puzzle, and a milk frother to replace the cheap and nearly useless one I had gotten at IKEA. (I don't make espresso drinks but put unsweetened cocoa in my coffee every morning and the frother helps it incorporate better. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Boo on the Flu.  How are your Ds and your Dh feeling?

They are miserable.

I have to admit, I'm not feeling so hot myself.  I'm starting to feel rundown, but if I close my eyes I feel like I'm legit falling.  It's very disorienting.

Youngest ds is finally opening his presents and on the mend.  He has eaten finally and is more chatty today.

• Sad 10

Hits:

DS: a weighted eye mask from @Kassia's —correction, @Kareni's—incredible annual unique gift finding thread. He tried it on and immediately fell asleep on the couch. 🙂. Because of his ADHD and anxiety he has a difficult time sleeping; I was hoping this might help and apparently it does! Also, a new travel bag and leather passport holder.

DH: matching Patagonia hoodie, one for him and one for DS. He’s always trying to steal DS's clothes so I figured I’d just get the same for both. I doubt they’ll take them off much this winter. Also, handmade cocktail glasses etched with a map of Brooklyn.

Me: DS brought me a bottle of **Chocolate Baileys**, not available in the US. I’m quite excited, lol. Also, DH found a beautiful watercolor line print of Brooklyn from an artist whose work I admired on our recent trip. He didn’t have exactly what I wanted in stock but DH found his shop online.

Kitties: a catnip banana and several packages of their favorite treats from Ireland

No misses. 

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 7

18 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

They are miserable.

I have to admit, I'm not feeling so hot myself.  I'm starting to feel rundown, but if I close my eyes I feel like I'm legit falling.  It's very disorienting.

Youngest ds is finally opening his presents and on the mend.  He has eaten finally and is more chatty today.

Oh no.  I am so sad you are getting sick now too.  Glad your ds is a bit better.  I am sorry you are having a crappy Christmas.

• Like 1

Both of my kids got lots of clothes that they picked out themselves, so definitely hits but not a surprise. I also got DD a Squishmallow Axolot, which apparently was a surprise because she squealed when she opened it and said totally forgot she asked for it, lol. I also got DS a whole bunch of his favorite super sour gummies that TJs only sells at Christmas; he asked me to hide a few bags so he'd have some to take back to college because otherwise he'd eat them all in a week.

4 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Have you tried American Tall? DS is 6'7" but pretty trim and it's almost impossible to find things that are truly cut for tall people (versus just being an inch longer and wider than "regular"). He gets most of his clothes from there except for tee shirts (he thinks the AT tees are cut funny in the shoulders, so he prefers Lands End for tall tee shirts). But he's got shirts, sweaters, athletic pants, and jackets from American Tall that fit him perfectly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our 'miss' after 2 years of dodging the bullet was to finally come down with covid this week.  Sure threw our Christmas off and had to cancel having the kids home. Day 8 and husband is still positive. 🤨

Hits: Trying to look at the bright side...we didn't travel over the holidays, that would have been a disaster, especially if we had gotten stuck in an airport.   (Haven't opened gifts yet, so ...idk what else?!)

• Sad 11

30 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Have you tried American Tall? DS is 6'7" but pretty trim and it's almost impossible to find things that are truly cut for tall people (versus just being an inch longer and wider than "regular"). He gets most of his clothes from there except for tee shirts (he thinks the AT tees are cut funny in the shoulders, so he prefers Lands End for tall tee shirts). But he's got shirts, sweaters, athletic pants, and jackets from American Tall that fit him perfectly.

We've haven't tried there yet, but he's interested.  Right now our go-to is L.L. Bean since he can try things on in the store.

These shirts were for his favorite team, so he's a little bummed.  The two others I got him fit just fine. 

• Like 1

Hits: Kong jumbler toys for the dogs, well, ok for <———-that dog, the one in my avatar, because she doesn’t share well. 😂

Urchin print leggings from Svaha for dd. Guys, I have never ordered leggings before from Svaha, but I am sold! I may have to have a pair of these for myself. They are so very soft, not at all see-through, and they have POCKETS! 

Miss: Bit of an awkward gift from my mother to dd. Best not to post details, but all is well, at least for now. 

• Like 5

DS had two things on his list ( umbrella and new gaming headphone). Both were a hit with him.  I did buy him an electric razor since he hates a regular razor. We will find out if he uses it. 

DD loved her planner that the neighbor picked up for me in Japan.  It fits the exact criteria she was looking for and I am so happy the neighbor was able to grab it for me. Along with the phone printer for her phone/iPad.  

DH loved his foot warming pad for the bed.  His feet are always cold and hurt from the neuropathy.  This might help with him insisting in turning up the heat…. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hjffkj said:

If your area has a cottage food law, he may be able to make it at home and sell it at craft fairs, etc.  I mean, he might be able to make it AT events, but often they require a license.  We have a cottage food law here and food booths are always big draws at craft fairs. And a kid run one? That would be awesome. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

Hits:

DS: a weighted eye mask from @Kassia's incredible annual unique gift finding thread. He tried it on and immediately fell asleep on the couch. 🙂. Because of his ADHD and anxiety he has a difficult time sleeping; I was hoping this might help and apparently it does! Also, a new travel bag and leather passport holder.

DH: matching Patagonia hoodie, one for him and one for DS. He’s always trying to steal DS's clothes so I figured I’d just get the same for both. I doubt they’ll take them off much this winter. Also, handmade cocktail glasses etched with a map of Brooklyn.

Me: DS brought me a bottle of **Chocolate Baileys**, not available in the US. I’m quite excited, lol. Also, DH found a beautiful watercolor line print of Brooklyn from an artist whose work I admired on our recent trip. He didn’t have exactly what I wanted in stock but DH found his shop online.

Kitties: a catnip banana and several packages of their favorite treats from Ireland

No misses. 

Glad your DS made it home!  

Love that you got your dh and ds matching hoodies! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ***** said:

Our 'miss' after 2 years of dodging the bullet was to finally come down with covid this week.  Sure threw our Christmas off and had to cancel having the kids home. Day 8 and husband is still positive. 🤨

Hits: Trying to look at the bright side...we didn't travel over the holidays, that would have been a disaster, especially if we had gotten stuck in an airport.   (Haven't opened gifts yet, so ...idk what else?!)

I am so sorry you guys are sick.  Hoping you don't feel to bad and can salvage the holiday a bit.

• Thanks 1

Hits here include a yak wool blanket I got ds21 from the Christmas market in Bryant Park, NYC, and $5 electric toothbrushes I picked up at Walmart on a whim for 6yo dgd and 4yo dgs for stocking stuffers. I don't know how well the batteries will hold out--they have brushed their teeth numerous times today, lol.

• Haha 8

4 hours ago, MEmama said:

Hits:

DS: a weighted eye mask from @Kassia's incredible annual unique gift finding thread. He tried it on and immediately fell asleep on the couch. 🙂. Because of his ADHD and anxiety he has a difficult time sleeping; I was hoping this might help and apparently it does! Also, a new travel bag and leather passport holder.

No misses. 

If anyone looks for the unique gift thread it is started each year by @Kareni

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Mine are 21 and 23 and the biggest hit is still Lego. 🤪 I’ve started getting Christmas themed ones and before long we’ll have a whole Lego village. Youngest received a cat stress ball in their stocking they haven’t put down all day as well.

No misses here. It’s been a fun, relaxing day. I keep thinking every Christmas will be the last we’re all together since they’re older but we’ve just added ds’ fiancé to the festivities and they’re all still spending the day with us. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I am so sorry you guys are sick.  Hoping you don't feel to bad and can salvage the holiday a bit.

Thanks, I am on day 5, so I am  over the fever and aches. Considering what I hear from others, I had a milder form. dh husband has a cough and is surprised he tested positive on day 8.   dd did a porch visit today and we opened a few presents through the window and had hot chocolate. Felt like we were back in 2020 in isolation, it was weird.  dh and I will open cards and watch movies tonight, things are fine.  dd returns next week,  so hopefully we can have our holiday dinner then and spend some together time. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tree Frog said:

Which one did you get? I have a dd who would be interested.

https://nodpod.com/

After he woke up from a 3 hour nap, I tried it and almost fell asleep myself. It’s not heavy, just very very comfortable—hits the pressure points just right. He used it again in the evening and fell back to sleep on the couch, where he's still sleeping this morning 🤣. 10/10 recommend! 

• Like 5

My 14 yo dd had been seeing Warmies when we were out and about and kind of obsessing about wanting one so we ended up giving those to my teen nieces  and they were well received. If you have managed not to see them (seems like I am seeing them advertised everywhere) they are stuffed animals that you can put in the microwave and heat up. So they are like a cute soft heating pad. I’m not really a stuffed animal person but they are very cute and soft and they kind of feel like a weighted stuffed animal? We also sent one to my son’s 22 yo girlfriend who we had no idea what to buy for but she loves dinosaurs so we sent her a dinosaur Warmie and said “sending a Christmas hug” on the card and she loved it. So those were cute and fun and filled the “what do we buy these people” need this year. I felt satisfied for about five minutes and immediately started wondering what the heck I would buy these people next year. 

• Like 5

The only sort-of miss was Dh’s slippers, which are too small. We’ll exchange them later this week; then they will be a hit!

Biggest hits:

Ds: My Hero Academia sweatshirt, candy, wallet

Dd: books! Print of Paris, euros

Me: An adapter for my car, so I can play downloaded music, audiobooks etc. through my car speakers. And a heavy faux fur throw blanket from Anthropologie.,

Dh: running gloves, clothes, golf balls

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

No Christmas here so no hits, no misses…

Extended family get together canceled and unlikely to be rescheduled 

Immediate family Christmas delayed until ??? whenever storm related issues get sorted out.

I’ve spent a lot worse Christmases but it’s always sad wondering who won’t be here next year and now that everything was called off…wondering if this might have been a missed chance to spend a last Christmas together with someone

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, teachermom2834 said:

My 14 yo dd had been seeing Warmies when we were out and about and kind of obsessing about wanting one so we ended up giving those to my teen nieces  and they were well received. If you have managed not to see them (seems like I am seeing them advertised everywhere) they are stuffed animals that you can put in the microwave and heat up. So they are like a cute soft heating pad. I’m not really a stuffed animal person but they are very cute and soft and they kind of feel like a weighted stuffed animal? We also sent one to my son’s 22 yo girlfriend who we had no idea what to buy for but she loves dinosaurs so we sent her a dinosaur Warmie and said “sending a Christmas hug” on the card and she loved it. So those were cute and fun and filled the “what do we buy these people” need this year. I felt satisfied for about five minutes and immediately started wondering what the heck I would buy these people next year. 

Those sound cute! I kinda want one for myself 🙂 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tree Frog said:

Which one did you get? I have a dd who would be interested.

5 hours ago, MEmama said:

https://nodpod.com/

After he woke up from a 3 hour nap, I tried it and almost fell asleep myself. It’s not heavy, just very very comfortable—hits the pressure points just right. He used it again in the evening and fell back to sleep on the couch, where he's still sleeping this morning 🤣. 10/10 recommend! 

Amazon has them, too

• Like 2

No misses here I don’t think. The gift giving and the celebrations ended up being just about right. I was stressed and overwhelmed sometime last week or so. It ended up being enjoyable. The gifts from extended family weren’t too overwhelming this year and I was very thankful that after 11 years since my oldest was born they finally got the message they must keep it minimal. I was worried we didn’t have enough/nice enough gifts, but honestly I think 2 less for each kid might have been perfect. Not to self for next year. I was able to replace DH’s laundered ear buds! I was happy to be able to do that. 

• Like 2

The big hit was the plane tickets to fly DS home for Christmas.  He was granted leave and is here for two weeks, and we are all so happy to get to spend time with him.  And he is loving some down time.

Youngest loved the phone we got him.  It was a last minute splurge.  He has always had hand-me-down phones and his was starting to have issues, so we decided to get him one of his own.

DD loved the knife set her youngest brother got her, and the family cookbook I made for her.

• Like 1