Menu

Things you can’t find right now

itsheresomewhere

The only thing I've been having trouble finding is Fancy Feast canned cat food, and that's been a problem for quite some time. We have a diabetic cat and our choices are expensive prescription cat food that she won't eat (I wouldn't either if I was a cat - it looks disgusting) or certain types of Fancy Feast. Our vet gave us a list of the FF ones that are low carb, high protein and recommended for a cat with diabetes. When I see any of the ones from the list I stock up but it's always tough trying to find them.

Edited by Lady Florida.

Nothing we cant love with out.  This is silly but my daughter has been asking me to pick up mr. Salty snacks, the ones with crackers with the orange cheese  to spread on them.  Nope, no where to be found.  Pasta disappeared for a few weeks but now it's back.  There's a particular go brand of sausage that publix has been out of for a while.

I couldn't get a lemon tree to plant in my yard. But that's due to some bug destroying citrus trees all over southern California leading to a quarantine  of existing trees. Apparently there's a black market of citrus that some people resort to, but I'll just drive over to my father in law and pick the lemons he doesn't want.

Frozen potato products we can get some but it's crazy how bare the shelves are like maybe 10 bags total none at all of hashbrowns or tator tots. Obviously not a big problem in the scheme of things.

Formula has limits and their is a whole thread about it on the local moms page.  We are past that stage but I feel so bad for those moms.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Slache said:

Formula. We can't find formula anywhere and have maybe half a day left. Fortunately it's only supplimentary at this point, but I have no idea what the newborns around here are going to do.

Yes, I have twin grandbabies, and while ddil does breastfeed, she only has supply for about half of what is needed. It has always taken her some time to build up what her babies need, and with two, it's challenging.

• Sad 7

currently on my "would buy if I could find the dang thing" list:

peat moss, perlite, and other soil amendments

calcium--used as a softener in hot tubs and pools; amazon has been postponing my order since February and I can't find it in stores. Amazon didn't have any options for months and  is now carrying an alternate brand of calcium with super mixed reviews, and I may have to just go for it.

chicken breasts---it's been a few weeks since I last saw them

similac neosure--there's a preemie baby in the extended family that needs a specialized formula

certain solar panel components, certain colors of roof shingles and other bits related to roof replacement

a certain electric car

iffy on whether I will find it each week: lactose free milk, eggs, lettuce, avocados, all chicken products, cereal bars, canola oil, cream cheese spread, cilantro, a certain allergy eye drop

resolved this week, after 4+ weeks of searching: various dried spices like turmeric, poultry seasoning, and rosemary, hard red wheat kernels (briefly there, gone again now), 

I think overall availability is trending much better than it had been---probably largely because prices have moved up markedly. Demand is dropping off a bit as people decide how essential something is at double the price.

We are doing okay.  By switching to a meal service we stopped having to create the list and alternate lists for the grocery store in order to make dinners.  So, we're fine there.  We're also not doing much shopping outside of the grocery store.

Our town pages are starting to get requests, though.  People are quietly asking if maybe anyone has a sample can of formula...or could anyone spare 1-2 chicken breasts....or if they might be able to share some garden produce because the food pantry hours aren't when they're off work...or if maybe they've seen xyz around to please message them...

It's still sparing, popping up every now and then, but the requests are starting to feel more desperate.  This is in addition to the regular, not-as-urgent requests, things like baseball cleats.  Nobody had them in stock this year.  Players have shuffled them down the line, older kids giving their outgrown ones to the youngers.

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

Frozen potato products we can get some but it's crazy how bare the shelves are like maybe 10 bags total none at all of hashbrowns or tator tots. Obviously not a big problem in the scheme of things.

Just went to Safeway supermarket yesterday and there was plenty of french fries, waffle fries, crisp cuts, as well as tator tots. I don’t buy hash browns but saw them at Grocery Outlet two days ago. Prices were higher which is probably why there is stock as a 5lb bag of Idaho potatoes is still cheap.

13 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

chicken breasts---it's been a few weeks since I last saw them

similac neosure--there's a preemie baby in the extended family that needs a specialized formula

For Similac Neosure, maybe check the pharmacy counter. Mine tends to have specialized formula kept there instead of on the main shelves. My obgyn (now retired) used to keep a stock of specialized formula.

Chicken breasts are plentiful here, both organic and inorganic, however we are near the large Tyson/Foster Farm chicken farms and they aren’t affected by bird flu yet.

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Formula. We can't find formula anywhere and have maybe half a day left. Fortunately it's only supplimentary at this point, but I have no idea what the newborns around here are going to do.

I have heard that formula is hard to find here also though mine are all far past that stage. It must be nerve wracking for mothers with babies on formula.

• Sad 2

Just now, Emba said:

I have heard that formula is hard to find here also though mine are all far past that stage. It must be nerve wracking for mothers with babies on formula.

I would be so stressed. And mine was a preemie and required special formula or he vomited most of it. I couldn't imagine taking my skinny little boy to the store and finding empty shelves. I think I'd cry right there in the store.

• Sad 2

Kind of a specialty item, but I was trying to buy a pondless waterfall kit, and apparantly the next shipment is on the way from China. 

I was able to find something similar in-stock, so I'm happy however the pond supply stores are probably not happy. 

I can’t get frozen diced onions anywhere, which is only an annoyance.  But I *really* hate cutting onions.

I put off replacing my range hood for too long.  A simple, black, ductless hood was $49 just a few months ago. Lowes had 3 black, ductless options to choose from (online) today.  Two were expensive and one was $69.
In the time it took dh to respond to agree with my dishwasher choice (because ours died last night), the price jumped from $69 to $99.  
So I was able to get it, but OUCH.

4 hours ago, ericathemom said:

I couldn't get a lemon tree to plant in my yard. But that's due to some bug destroying citrus trees all over southern California leading to a quarantine  of existing trees. Apparently there's a black market of citrus that some people resort to, but I'll just drive over to my father in law and pick the lemons he doesn't want.

Ironic, I saw citrus trees today in MN

Dry dog food in the brand my dog eats. The store brand is available, but I really don't want to switch the dog. He has a really sensitive stomach and is also afraid of his own farts, so a new food is a bad idea. 

We actually have chicken breasts on sale for $1.99/lb, limit 4 packages. Kind of wild to see that price! 

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, silver said:

OB brand tampons. I've got a week or so to figure out what brand I want to try as a replacement.

Peanut Butter Chex has been out of stock for months.

@silverFWIW, amazon has them.  They also carry natracare (organic cotton, no applicator). I can usually get a 12 pack of boxes of the natracare for around $50.  They will sit at about $70, but if you place a camelcamelcamel watch on them, you can get them much less expensively.  

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Slache said:

I just saw a discussion about this on my FB thrift group. A lot folks cannot find infant formula at all. 

• Sad 7

2 minutes ago, Quill said:

I just saw a discussion about this on my FB thrift group. A lot folks cannot find infant formula at all. 

This is so scary.  What can be done about this?  I mean, toilet paper shortages are really bad but babies can't starve.  😞  

• Like 4

I’m just here to say 

Things you can’t find right now by @itsheresomewhere

is a pretty funny thread title.

Thats worrying about the baby formula though.

We’ve had trouble in the past in Aus. China had a contamination scare so Chinese Australians were bulk buying and sending back to relatives who either wanted it for their own babies or were selling the more trusted overseas formulas on the black market. This was pre covid and ended up resulting in buying limits and an export ban. I’m wondering if something similar could be happening in the US given the lockdowns in Shanghai and Beijing right now, if they have supply issues. Or is it vitamins etc supply that’s the issue?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kassia said:

This is so scary.  What can be done about this?  I mean, toilet paper shortages are really bad but babies can't starve.  😞  

Our Wal-Mart had about 1/4 the normal amount of formula today but only specific brands. 

I really feel for kids who are tube-fed due to GI issues. My son, who is 10 and still tube-fed, can tolerate real food pureed now but there was a time when he had to be on very specific specialty formulas due to complex GI issues. It wasn't really possible to just substitute a different formula because his system was so sensitive. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

The only thing I've been having trouble finding is Fancy Feast canned cat food, and that's been a problem for quite some time. We have a diabetic cat and our choices are expensive prescription cat food that she won't eat (I wouldn't either if I was a cat - it looks disgusting) or certain types of Fancy Feast. Our vet gave us a list of the FF ones that are low carb, high protein and recommended for a cat with diabetes. When I see any of the ones from the list I stock up but it's always tough trying to find them.

Check Target.com. If you order more than one box (or have a Red card) you will qualify for free shipping. Hopefully they will have the flavor that you need.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Slache said:

A few years ago Australia was having a formula problem. It wasn't anything to do with supply, but rather people were buying the whole shop supply and onselling to China. 

2 hours ago, mlktwins said:

Apparently Speedo brand swim suits for summer swim.  Who knew?!?!

Are they imported? 

China is in lockdown

Sir  Lanka, a big manufacture of clothes is internally colapsing. Have you seen the latest news from there   scary 

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Sad 2

After this thread, I was curious. Formula in stock at our grocery. I walk past the locked cases on my way out anyway, so I looked. Seemed like low stock, but multiple brands.

I feel like this has turned out to be one of the benefits of living in a super high density area. We simply have not seen the same daily item supply chain issues quite as badly at our local shops. These shops have more than twice the sales numbers and product turnover compared to suburban stores. They're just doing higher volume business. So their regular ordering amounts are higher and so when there's a share going places, I think corporation with algorithms like Target are sending it to our Target, not yours. Which is not to say that the less daily item shortages aren't in view, like furniture and so forth when it's been in short supply. And we've definitely seen more low stock of things. But people will say there's no frozen fries, no chicken breasts, no formula... and I'll look and we'll always have it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Just went to Safeway supermarket yesterday and there was plenty of french fries, waffle fries, crisp cuts, as well as tator tots. I don’t buy hash browns but saw them at Grocery Outlet two days ago. Prices were higher which is probably why there is stock as a 5lb bag of Idaho potatoes is still cheap.

Interesting it was safeway I was at.  We have french fry processor just a mile away.  We can still buy huge bags of potatos for almost  nothing.  My teen like to have the hashbrown patties before school and we usually keep some sort of fries for them to air fry when they are home alone.  

23 hours ago, rebcoola said:

Interesting it was safeway I was at.  We have french fry processor just a mile away.  We can still buy huge bags of potatos for almost  nothing.  My teen like to have the hashbrown patties before school and we usually keep some sort of fries for them to air fry when they are home alone.  

The fries that were in stock was the Ore-Ida brand ones. My kids like waffle fries and curly fries so I watch the prices for those whenever I go to Safeway.

ETA: @rebcoola didn’t see hash browns but Safeway had four doors of frozen potato products 

94287021-6687-4849-AD15-C349C0401E23.jpeg

Edited by Arcadia

14 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

Our Costco had all the freezer potato products last week, of course in Costco sized bags. Our Trader Joe's had the small bags of hash brown, fries etc in stock yesterday.

Today I went to the grocery store and there was no milk on the shelves. None. But maybe some in the back because I saw an employee bring a half gallon out to a lady.

But I went to a convenience store and there was plenty there.

There was very sparse stock of Yoplait yogurt, and a sign sayingthat they were experiencing various ingredient shortages.

There were plenty of eggs but a sign indicating that avian influenza could be affecting that soon.

Our stores have been out of  boneless/skinless chicken for about three weeks now. Other stuff is random. Mostly it's just super expensive. We have had intermittent issues with lack of supply of the frozen potato products mentioned upthread.

I feel so bad about the formula shortage. That has to be so stressful!

7 hours ago, Slache said:

Have you managed to source any yet?  If you haven't, I can go see if we have any available and overnight it to you tomorrow morning?  

• Like 2

The only thing I've had trouble finding lately is organic frozen kale or spinach, although I can find a blend of the two in BJ's. I only use it in my smoothies/smoothie bowls. In experimenting with other veggies, I discovered riced cauliflower tastes so much better in a smoothie!!

21 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Have you managed to source any yet?  If you haven't, I can go see if we have any available and overnight it to you tomorrow morning?  

You are so kind! He's almost 2 and only takes bottles for comfort so we got some coconut milk. Thank you though!

• Thanks 1

I haven't had trouble getting any groceries or household products, but there is one horse med that has gotten a bit tricky to find. Luckily, our vet is pretty creative about finding ways to track it down. This has happened on and off with this med for years, so I'm not sure the shortage is even related to the current messy state of affairs in this country.

59 minutes ago, Insertcreativenamehere said:

Eggs are through the roof here! We buy them in bulk at Costco (MUCH cheaper per dozen) and what normally costs us $11 cost $40! 

We stopped buying eggs from Costco as they go bad before I can finish the 2 dozen eggs tray or the 5 dozen eggs pack.  I asked my husband to buy eggs from Trader Joe’s on the way home today as we are out and it cost $2.69 per dozen non-organic cage free.