Menu

A favor: Could you ask your teens?

Jenny in Florida

I typically donate to a couple of local groups that provide holiday gifts for kids. Usually, about this time of year, I start watching sales, buying and tucking away stuff so that I have a nice pile of things to contribute. Both organizations find that they get tons of items for younger kids, but very few things for teens. (Last year, I called my husband midway through my volunteer shift at one of the events at which parents come in and choose gifts for their kids and sent him out to scrounge at Target and Walgreens for more teen-appropriate items, because we had pretty much run out.)

Part of the problem, of course, is that so many of the things that teens wish for are so much more expensive than things for younger kids. These programs deal in volume (up to 2,000 families), so it's just not practical to give every teenager a gaming system. Gift cards are not an option, by the way.

Popular items include things like cosmetic and scent sets. Basic sports equipment like basketballs is also usually good. Earbuds are okay, but not exciting. Last year, I made two expeditions specifically searching for more interesting ideas and came up empty. 

So I'm wondering if those of you who have teens in the house might be willing to ask them to help me brainstorm? What items in the $5 - 20 price range would they enjoy receiving?

Thanks!

Edited by Jenny in Florida

My dc are more artsy than anything and youngest, 17, is the only one home at the moment but they said:

Art supplies and sketchbooks (I can usually find good deals using Michael's coupons)

Fun socks 

Books 

They also always ask for fun Hoodies and tees. I'm usually able to find deals at Hot Topic for these.

Edited by Joker

Bookmarks, the metal ones or magnetic ones are more expensive but many have nice quotes on them. We saw them at Barnes & Noble

LED book lights. Great for power outage and reading in bed. 

Lanyards that has the clip to hold student IDs

ETA:

My teens are 13 & 14

Edited by Arcadia

I usually buy several Kindle Fires on Black Friday for this purpose. They're a little out of your price range (usually $29 for Prime customers), but seem appreciated. 

• Like 4

I helped shop for Christmas gifts for a group home for teens the last two years and it is tough!!! People who donate seem to forget these are regular teenager who want to be cool - a light purple matching sweatsuit is not cool!!! 

Fun tshirts (Buy in larger sizes - teens can be big grown up sized people, you know? I think there was like one small sized teen in the group home I helped at, most of the kids were med-xl sized, but most people donate small sizes)

fun socks

little things that fly 

make up kits, nail polish 

nice looking windbreaker or fuzzy fleece jackets  

balls - football, basketball, etc

Cute stuffed animals (you would be surprised by how many ask for this)

crocs

Paints, brushes, little things to paint - rocks, birdhouse 

craft kits - friendship bracelets, calligraphy  kit, magic tricks, etc

fun pj pants

There are usually fun things you can find cheap on Black Friday - remote control cars, spiders that jump, puzzle games, little handheld games. 

Large candy bars

fishing pole

puzzles - more “teen” themed

nice waterbottles

bathroom sets - old spice, axe for guys, 

elastic wallet with Loop for keys or lanyard

giftcards to local things - movie, jump place, laser tag

i love that you do this! We moved this summer and I need to find a new at-risk teen group home to help with! Thanks for the reminder!! 

• Like 4

My kids are getting books this year, and every year. I maintain that a book is the best gift.

Barring that, and inside your price range, one kid right now only wants art and craft supplies. The other is tricky to shop for and very individual - "things with moose on them" is a perennial favorite, for example.

• Like 1

Definitely fuzzy blankets, rose-gold scrunchies, fine tipped pens like these, bullet journals, water bottles, EOS chapstick, any big name brand socks (UA, Nike, Adidas), Adidas track pants, make-up, nail kits and/or polish, string fairy lights w/clips for pictures, grown-up fuzzy house slippers, nice robes, games, gum, face paint kits, nerf basketball and hoop that attaches to door, nerf gun, big name brand slides, mini drones (this one worked well for a beginner).

Rose gold is a huge color now with the teen girls.  Name brand is most appreciated.

2 hours ago, Just Kate said:

Are scrunchies popular with teen girls? I know my 12 year old dd loves them (she is obsessed with them right now), but I’m not sure about older teen girls. 

Yes, at least in our neck of the woods.  DD15 and DD13 both have rose gold velvety scrunchies they wear frequently, as do their friends, due to, in part, the velvety texture.

Edited by ChrisB

Evidently you can never have too many fuzzy blankets or fuzzy socks.  Ross usually has fuzzy blankets cheap for the holidays.  I'm allergic to all poly and fuzzy blankets are especially evil, but they are good kids and keep their fuzz away from me, and know that fuzzy clothing does not get folded, just tossed in between cotton items.  I will sometimes put away other clothing for them but never poly.

You can get a few fun lollipops in a 12 pack or other cheap things in packs and add to the fuzzy items.

Every girl I know would love a nice looking journal or sketchbook and fancy pens.

Boys are harder. Other than flashlights (the bendy ones look great)  everything I can think costs more. Other than food. My boys get treats in their stockings that I usually won't spend money on but I doubt you are looking for food. 

• Like 1

Things we've gotten ds in his teens include a leather working kit, electronic gadgets like a phone holder shaped like a little man and twisty-ties for cables and stuff, a book with a hidden compartment, little logic games, card games to play with friends (I think Exploding Kittens is under $20), a fun desk light, a baseball hat, slippers, a draw your own manga kit (blank comic book and set of colored pencils), a bedside organizer that went under the mattress, and I'm starting to draw a blank here, but I'm sure ds will have more ideas when I see him today.

Is this for teens in a group residential treatment home? (btdt) Or more economically diadvantaged? 

The reason I ask is that kids in treatment already have to write, so don't do journals. Also they aren't going to be allowed any sharps, so no leatherworking or craft kits that contain punches or scissors. A craft kit that was liked by our kids in treatment was the circle looms used for hats. 

Nice skin care kits, card games, fuzzy blanket throws (the best thing, I think--very comforting)...those are all fine. 

Keep in mind not every young woman wants girly makeup, hair items or scented products. 

• Like 2

My first thought is maybe an inexpensive mp3 player, but if they have a phone that probably wouldn't be very good. My two kids are so different. The actual teen (female) would love anything cute. She would use scrunchies, colorful pens, journals, etc. She loves card games as does her whole friend group. She doesn't card about name brands.. The slightly preteen boy is pickier. He likes name brand stuff. He is obsessed with Rubik's cube right now, but doesn't care for cards, and a couple of sets he was given would go unused if the rest of us didn't play. 

Both of them have recently enjoyed gifts that let them play their music and audio books - a radio/CD player in one case, a speaker to book up a n mp3 player to for the other. But they're stuck in the stone age with no phones.

Oh-double walled steel water bottles (Hydro flask is the big brand name, but they are pricey, but there are less expensive options out there) and vinyl decals to put on them. PuraVida bracelets, and also kits to make Pura Vida type bracelets (waxed cotton thread, beads/small charms/instructions). 

And ITA with Five Below. They're the "default gifts for teens" store. 

• Like 1

You can give a one-year Walmart beauty box subscription for $20 total (four boxes, one per season). You prepay for the year and then they get an email so they can give their address and say what kinds of things they like. 

My girls would have liked a Steam gift card (they would still like it!). 

Those touch lamps that change color. 

String lights are still popular. 

Marquee message boards. 

Fun whiteboards. 

Don't forget the nerds! I usually have luck getting some unusual items on sale at Thinkgeek for the holidays.

Fast food and Starbucks gift cards, times eleventy. 

Power banks, preferably cute or colorful. 

Themed snack packs are extra easy to do if you have a World Market type store, it gets one of the biggest responses from teens for me. Just pick out some fun candy and snacks from England or Italy or Mexico, print a quick tag with the country name and flag,  and package it together. They usually have the Ramune soda for Japan and sometimes beverages for other countries as well. 

Edited by katilac

10 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

Is this for teens in a group residential treatment home? (btdt) Or more economically diadvantaged? 

One organization serves economically challenged families in which at least one child also has a serious medical issue. Parents are allowed to "shop" (for free) for gifts for all the kids in the family. So, some of the kids served are "just" in economic need while others also have a range of other issues.

The other organization serves families escaping domestic abuse. They provide gifts for all members of the family who are spending the holidays in the shelter. 

• Like 3

Just now, emba56 said:

Not maybe so cool, but my kids need gloves pretty much every year because they lose them. Beanie hats might be good, or ear flap hats. Lots of fun winter hats are  out there.

Unless we're talking just for fashion, gloves and hats aren't going to be a thing here in Florida, where it barely dipped below 80 degrees until 10:00pm last night.

26 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Unless we're talking just for fashion, gloves and hats aren't going to be a thing here in Florida, where it barely dipped below 80 degrees until 10:00pm last night.

Whoops! 🙂 yes, I did not notice you were in Florida!

18 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Definitely fuzzy blankets, rose-gold scrunchies, fine tipped pens like these, bullet journals, water bottles, EOS chapstick, any big name brand socks (UA, Nike, Adidas), Adidas track pants, make-up, nail kits and/or polish, string fairy lights w/clips for pictures, grown-up fuzzy house slippers, nice robes, games, gum, face paint kits, nerf basketball and hoop that attaches to door, nerf gun, big name brand slides, mini drones (this one worked well for a beginner).

Rose gold is a huge color now with the teen girls.  Name brand is most appreciated.

This. Possibly not the drone though. Cheap drones are heartbreakingly bad. 

I would take out the drone and add Magic: The Gathering cards. 

Some of these are repeats but my two teens suggested the following:

Decent, not dollar store, soccer balls/footballs/basketballs

Cute hoodies/fleece jackets in a L/XL  They pointed out that Walmart had some good ones for under $20

Joggers, name brand if you find a good sale, but again, Walmart and Target have cute ones.  

Name brand slides can often be found on sale around $20.  

Nice water bottle

Graphic T-shirts - they pointed out that cute sayings, Marvel and Stranger Things were a good bet.

Scrunchies

Name brand tall socks

Also adding inexpensive make-up kits from Ulta or Sephora, usually the store brand, especially if they come in a case that can be used to store more items.

Edited by ksr5377
I can't type on my phone!
  • Like 3

My teen would like a warm, soft blanket (even though he has many!)

exploding kittens game

dopp kit (toiletries bag) I found a nice canvas timberland brand one at tjmaxx last year for around $15

He likes the toiletries sets like old spice or axe with the deodorant, body wash, etc. these are always everywhere this time of year!

lindt truffles

pens/sketchpads

On 10/31/2019 at 10:26 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

He also that that those LED lights than can be wrapped around things are fun - he has them wrapped around his curtain rods

Could you (or someone else) give a link to one of these?  I'm googling, but I must be using the wrong search. terms.

8 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

Just want to add I think this is a lovely thing to do, esp that you let the parents shop for their kids--that is so respectful of their dignity. ❤

I can't claim credit for the idea. I learned about the organization a few years ago when my then-employer provided some information. I volunteered that year and have donated and volunteered each year since.

4 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

So many great ideas.   I am so glad that you do this.  Is this an group around the country?  I would love to donate to a cause like this is I knew what to google to find it near me.  

Both of the organizations I donate to are local. I would be surprised, though, if there weren't similar organizations in other parts of the country.