Menu

Our neighbors have installed a monolith

Terabith

That is weird.  People do strange things in their yards sometimes. 

I guess I'd rather have a concrete obelisk out front next door than a giant chicken.  Or a giraffe.  Or a Paul Bunyan statue. Again, people do strange things in their yards sometimes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Garga said:

What? Why??  What is it??  You need to ask them and report back.  🙂

I've never spoken to them. I've never even SEEN them, even though their yard is the neighborhood bus stop.  Further mystery:  it went up within less than an hour, with nobody I've talked to seeing anything take place. And this is an outdoorsy neighborhood.  (Except for the other neighbors who I really thought were keeping someone tied up in their basement for awhile, but I think she was just sick.)  I'm really tempted to knock on their door and ask if I can join their cult.  Or to get some bones and throw them at the base.  

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Oh.  That is utterly creepy.  Maybe a memorial to a dead loved one or run it the mill phallic symbolism?

Memorial hadn't occurred to me.  That would explain possibly the weird creepy child statue holding the blue glass ball?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Junie said:

Maybe they're getting a jump-start on Halloween decorations?

It's a seven foot tall monolith made out of concrete!  It's gotta weigh something like 500 pounds!  I can't imagine doing that for Halloween.  But, people are weird?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Amazing. I love weird neighbors. One of ours has a giant adirondack chair in their front yard. When I say giant, I mean like the seat part is 4 feet off the ground. It's incredible hulk sized.

ETA: like this 

giant-Adirondack.jpg

Actually, I kinda love that!  But definitely weird!

1 minute ago, Terabith said:

It's just the photo.  Sorry.  I was trying to be nonchalant, and my kids were screaming at me to stop.  

Well, that's a bright side at least -- it's been installed vertically. It isn't going to give you all leaning-tower vertigo as you walk by.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

With the child and the flowers, I'd wonder if their family lost a child recently.  Do they have children or grandchildren?  I'd ask them just in case they need anything. Best case scenario it's an unusual gardening choice, but somehow I doubt it.

I don't know them.  They're about two streets over, and I never see them outside, even though it's an outdoorsy kind of neighborhood.  I hope not.  That would be awful.  

57 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I don't know them.  They're about two streets over, and I never see them outside, even though it's an outdoorsy kind of neighborhood.  I hope not.  That would be awful.  

I was thinking it was right next door to you! At least you won't have to see it every time you walk out your door.🙂

• Like 3

Just now, Lawyer&Mom said:

It’s hard to see behind the trees, but this is a front gate with a sculpture of a giant rock on top.  The rock sits in between the cross beams.  It’s in my hometown and I’d honestly love to know the story behind it.  

6A8B0B5C-0590-4AC2-9703-7ACD2F6D61B2.jpeg

Looked like a giant turtle to me. 🙂

8 minutes ago, Pen said:

I’d guess either a child died and it’s a memorial, or that they are hosting a small 5G tower. 

5G tower!  Another thought I hadn't had!  I knew I could count on you guys!  

And my daughter wants to do her science fair project on whether 5G routers inhibit plant growth.  I really hope it's a 5G tower!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Terabith said:

No, I'm pretty sure it's solid.  I, um, went and knocked on it.  

😁😄

4 hours ago, Terabith said:

The ladder is not part of the monolith.  It went up about three days after the monolith.  I posted on facebook that:  "The monolith has acquired a ladder.  The plot thickens."

Maybe something else is going on top of the monolith? This is just the kind of mystery we needed this weekend. I hope you have an infrared camera pointed in that direction so tomorrow morning we can see what's going on at night...because obviously things spring up overnight in your neighborhood.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have zero guesses as to what this may be. I demand, however, to be kept in the loop as to further developments!

Around here the popular thing seems to be lighthouses. I guess people are worried about ships of the line being blown off course and into their front porches? I don't know.

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Seasider too said:

All I can see is that thing toppled over, crushing that kid and shattering his gazing ball. How secure is it? Do you think it’s bolted to a base of some sort? I’d stay clear of it. 

I don't think it is bolted to a base, but I honestly don't know.  There's some sort of tile base to it, but it looks more like someone laid some bricks around it?  My husband says you can order the danged things off the internet and have them installed?  I'm not finding them when I'm looking, though.  My facebook ads are getting.....weird, however.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

21 hours ago, Terabith said:

052E82AA-D339-4C53-9DD1-A5A7037BCD99.jpeg

Oh, I see the problem. They're Redskins fans, so they are obviously insane. 

Sorry solving the mystery as to *why* doesn't solve the problem. 

Full disclosure: we are Redskins fans too. We show our crazy in other ways, namely, publicly admitting we are Redskins fans. Same wrt the Baltimore Orioles. 

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 2
  • Haha 9

12 minutes ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

Did the creepy child statue appear at the same time the monolith went up or was it already in the yard?

Do you know who lives there (just adults or a family?)?

My neighborhood is just so boring and vanilla compared to yours.  I'm kind of jealous.

Creepy child statue showed up at the same time as the monolith.  I don't really know them.  I know there are two adults, but my husband says there's either a child or one who visits regularly.  

We also have a very multi-racial family four doors down who flies a white supremacist flag.  That one confuses me also.  They're super nice, and I keep wondering if maybe they don't know what the flag symbolizes?  

The family who used to live across the street would often have a visitor who drove what was basically Batman's car.  It was kinda insane.  Annoying, because he would abandon it in the middle of the road, but it was quite the car.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Creepy child statue showed up at the same time as the monolith.  I don't really know them.  I know there are two adults, but my husband says there's either a child or one who visits regularly.  

We also have a very multi-racial family four doors down who flies a white supremacist flag.  That one confuses me also.  They're super nice, and I keep wondering if maybe they don't know what the flag symbolizes?  

The family who used to live across the street would often have a visitor who drove what was basically Batman's car.  It was kinda insane.  Annoying, because he would abandon it in the middle of the road, but it was quite the car.

I want to move to your neighborhood. My life here is too boring. 

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Terabith said:

What does a white supremacist flag look like? I wouldn't even know one if I saw one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Selkie said:

What does a white supremacist flag look like? I wouldn't even know one if I saw one.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Honoring-Enforcement-Officers-Resistant/dp/B01INKVTL2/ref=asc_df_B01INKVTL2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=216549089167&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8795995629248741582&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008685&hvtargid=aud-799727667774:pla-350453549921&psc=1

It's officially a pro law enforcement flag.  But apparently it's widely used by white supremacist groups because of associations with fascism.  I assume that either this family just isn't aware of that correlation or is trying to take it back.