Menu

Our neighbors have installed a monolith

Terabith

19 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Oh my - it's Goose Week at Miles Kimball - sales on goose outfits all week! And they have a contest to win geese and geese outfits! (full disclosure, if you enter the contest with this link I get a bonus entry, lol). https://woobox.com/uucfyn/luu1pw

Ok. So if I win, I'm going to get your address & send them to you.

Strangely, after reading this today, I realize I saw some of these (but not dressed) on Monday night. I had not noticed them before.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, happi duck said:

Back in the 80s, lawn ornament goose families in clothing were all over my hometown. The lawn ornaments were a set of mama, papa and goslings.  Clothing showed up not long after. Some of the displays were elaborate and crafters were selling outfits of every kind.  I have no idea if it was a localized fad or not!

There's a house in my city that has a lawn goose. They've been changing the clothes *daily* for years and years. When we lived on that side of town, we always detoured to go by and see what the goose was wearing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mom2scouts said:

There's a house in my city that has a lawn goose. They've been changing the clothes *daily* for years and years. When we lived on that side of town, we always detoured to go by and see what the goose was wearing.

There's a house in a little town near us that has had the same set of two large dolls in their window for at least 40 years. I think they are Patty Playpal dolls, so several feet tall. They are always waving and their clothes are changed for the seasons. It sounds creepy but it's really not. I loved looking for them as a little girl and still look for them now and point them out to my daughter. There was a story in a local newspaper about them about 10 years ago. The owners said that they've received many nice notes and comments about the dolls.

Daily clothes changes, though--that's a commitment! They must enjoy it!

Simple pleasures. 🙂

Hmmm. I kind of want something to dress up that's not a goose or a doll. 🤔

• Like 1

I've never seen the goose thing (probably because we don't have much in the way of lawns and gardens) BUT in my parents neighborhood there is a giraffe! His neck and head stick out above their wall. And they put on hats and neckties for the holidays. Last time I saw him he was wearing a straw hat and luau flowers. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I had a guy give me a lawn buddha when I was in univ (undergrad)... I'm so, so horrible at social cues; what does it mean if a guy gives you a garden ornament?  He was from out of state, means he hauled a cement lawn buddha on a plane and gave it to me.  At the time (clueless) I assumed he thought I was kinda quirky and would get a kick out of it, now (still mostly clueless (and still pretty quirky)) I continue to be not sure about the motivation behind it... we were living in dorms (no lawns)... I don't know, I was (and largely still am) terrible at reading between the lines.. maybe there were no lines...

• Confused 3

17 hours ago, Kate in Arabia said:

I had a guy give me a lawn buddha when I was in univ (undergrad)... I'm so, so horrible at social cues; what does it mean if a guy gives you a garden ornament?  He was from out of state, means he hauled a cement lawn buddha on a plane and gave it to me.  At the time (clueless) I assumed he thought I was kinda quirky and would get a kick out of it, now (still mostly clueless (and still pretty quirky)) I continue to be not sure about the motivation behind it... we were living in dorms (no lawns)... I don't know, I was (and largely still am) terrible at reading between the lines.. maybe there were no lines...

When a man gives you a lawn buddha, it obviously means he has feelings for you...or maybe not.🤣🤣

18 hours ago, Kate in Arabia said:

43 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

When a man gives you a lawn buddha, it obviously means he has feelings for you...or maybe not.🤣🤣

Miss Manners had a chapter on "household atrocities".  that every household needed some - lest the residents be seen as mercenary.  a house where everything is in perfect taste - is in "shocking taste".

"not everyone is as fortunate as the lady whose butler returned for a visit to his ancestral land of Egypt and returned with a lighted sphinx for his employers living room, but may we all be as wise as that lady.  she considered what her friends would think if she displayed it, what her butler would think if she expelled it, and gave it a place of honor.  one can always make new friends - but a good butler is harder to come by."

• Like 4