Menu

Our neighbors have installed a monolith

Terabith

8 minutes ago, Terabith said:

https://www.amazon.com/American-Honoring-Enforcement-Officers-Resistant/dp/B01INKVTL2/ref=asc_df_B01INKVTL2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=216549089167&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8795995629248741582&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008685&hvtargid=aud-799727667774:pla-350453549921&psc=1

It's officially a pro law enforcement flag.  But apparently it's widely used by white supremacist groups because of associations with fascism.  I assume that either this family just isn't aware of that correlation or is trying to take it back.  

Huh, I have never heard of the thin blue line being associated with white supremacy. Around here, it is just a show of support for law enforcement.

• Like 23

On 9/1/2019 at 1:52 PM, Terabith said:

https://www.amazon.com/American-Honoring-Enforcement-Officers-Resistant/dp/B01INKVTL2/ref=asc_df_B01INKVTL2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=216549089167&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8795995629248741582&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008685&hvtargid=aud-799727667774:pla-350453549921&psc=1

It's officially a pro law enforcement flag.  But apparently it's widely used by white supremacist groups because of associations with fascism.  I assume that either this family just isn't aware of that correlation or is trying to take it back.  

I really think that flag is largely used as a pro-law enforcement flag. There's another version with a red stripe for the fire department. And a green stripe for something else. I've seen a combo with all 3 stripes, too.  I see it regularly around here and we are not in a hot spot for white supremacy.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I really think that flag is largely used as a pro-law enforcement flag. There's another version with a red stripe for the fire department. And a green stripe for something else. I've seen a combo with all 3 stripes, too.  I see it regularly around here and we are not in a hot spot for white supremacy.

That's good to know.  I had never heard of it either way until my husband came home talking about the white supremacist flag.  I googled and told him that I thought it was just pro law enforcement, but he is absolutely adamant about its implications.  He's usually right about things like this, and I'm often oblivious.  But...I think he may be wrong this time.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Medicmom2.0 said:

I have a thin blue line flag sticker and a thin red line sticker on my car.  I was not aware of any white supremacy anything with it.  I have many friends who fly the thin blue line flag, all police officers, and several are people of color.  I think it must be a regional connotation, because here it is seen as a police support flag.

The multi-racial family near me that flies the Confederate flag has me baffled, though.

Maybe they feel the same way - maybe they're from an area where the Confederate flag is not primarily a symbol of the modern white supremacy movement.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

That's good to know.  I had never heard of it either way until my husband came home talking about the white supremacist flag.  I googled and told him that I thought it was just pro law enforcement, but he is absolutely adamant about its implications.  He's usually right about things like this, and I'm often oblivious.  But...I think he may be wrong this time.  

I don't think it's a coincidence that the "thin blue line" flags started showing up at about the same time cases of police brutality and the Black Lives Matter movement were gaining more nationwide attention.

I do live in an area that was a KKK stronghold and still has a fair amount of white supremacists. I know that some people who fly the blue line flags probably have nothing in mind other than general support for the police. However, I can't help but suspect that some of the flags are a direct reaction to the Black Lives Matter movement. The flags began appearing about the same time as "Blue Lives Matter" bumper stickers around here. Admittedly when I see them I have a negative reaction and read them as, "I support the police no matter what." 

ETA: Apparently I'm not alone in my thinking. From Wiki

• In Chicago, in November 2016, counterprotesters carried the black and white US flag symbol to show support for police after a police shooting of Joshua Beal. The counterprotesters carried the symbol in confrontations with another group of protesters who felt the shooting was unjust and racially motivated.
  • In Warwick, New York, the painting of a blue line down a roadway was protested by some citizens as being in opposition to the Black Lives Matter movement. The town has since painted the line red, white, and blue, the colors of the US flag.
  • During the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville in 2017, the thin blue line flag was used by white nationalist groups to symbolize support for police and opposition to the Black Lives Matter movement.
  • Multnomah County Courthouse removed the flag after it gained notoriety with the Charlottesville white supremacists.
  • In July 2019, the "Thin Blue Line" American Flag was put up by residents of York, Maine as a way to pay tribute to a local police officer who was shot and killed in the line of duty decades ago. Due to locals being concerned that the flag was being used as a symbol of white supremacy, the flag was subsequently taken down.
Edited by MercyA
  • Like 9

I'd agree that some of the overt police support is a reaction to the BLM movement, but I don't think that makes it a white supremacy thing.  I don't think all (or even most?) people who disagree with some of the aims, methods, or emphasis of the BLM movement are white supremacists, especially when their reaction to it is a support of policemen.  I also don't think Blue Lives Matter is a racist movement; most people who support the police in this way probably don't care whether the policeman is white, black, Asian, whatever - they just sympathize primarily with the risks law enforcement officers undergo (as opposed to focusing on the risks people the officers interact with undergo).  

For some, sure, it's a question of race, but I doubt most pro-law enforcement folks see it that way (except maybe as seeing themselves/their loved ones under attack on the basis of race, or accusations of racism for doing their job in what they think is a decent way, etc.)

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, kdsuomi said:

The blue line flags started to be seen during the Black Lives Matter stuff because of how vehemently anti-all police the culture became at the time, not because of white supremacy. It seems as though everything these days is a symbol of white supremacy to some. 

You do realize, of course, that law enforcement personnel have historically been the enforcers of racist/unjust laws right? Including in Ferguson where BLM kicked off in earnest.  The police and court systems were being used to fleece local residents. Ignoring the origins of the angst and the respective movements, given all that is known about current and historical events/policies/laws, seems intentionally obtuse. I don’t know whether it’s become associated with white supremacy but I do see it as being associated with, as MercyA said, supporting LEOs regardless and at all costs.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 9

8 hours ago, moonflower said:

I'd agree that some of the overt police support is a reaction to the BLM movement, but I don't think that makes it a white supremacy thing.  I don't think all (or even most?) people who disagree with some of the aims, methods, or emphasis of the BLM movement are white supremacists, especially when their reaction to it is a support of policemen.  I also don't think Blue Lives Matter is a racist movement; most people who support the police in this way probably don't care whether the policeman is white, black, Asian, whatever - they just sympathize primarily with the risks law enforcement officers undergo (as opposed to focusing on the risks people the officers interact with undergo).  

For some, sure, it's a question of race, but I doubt most pro-law enforcement folks see it that way (except maybe as seeing themselves/their loved ones under attack on the basis of race, or accusations of racism for doing their job in what they think is a decent way, etc.)

Always good to hear from you, moonflower. ❤️

I should clarify that I personally don't think "white supremacy" when I see the thin blue line flags. I do see at the very least a refusal to acknowledge the very real and very significant problems of racial profiling and unjust use of force (particularly against people of color) by law enforcement agencies. 

Perhaps my view is influenced by hearing "good" people in my own town--people whom I would have previously said were NOT racist--saying things like, "Those people [black people] only get off their butts to protest." There is also most definitely a prevailing attitude here, especially among conservatives, that whatever the police (or military, for that matter) does is right and just and should automatically have our support.

I trust that most people on this board have actually taken the time to think through these issues for themselves. I'm not sure that is true for the general population. From what I've seen and heard, I suspect it is not.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, Terabith said:

It did make the news near us a while back because of this, so your husband is not entirely wrong. 

Around here, this flag didn't start popping up/being seen until the height of the Black Lives Matter movement, as a response of Blue Lives Matter (aka, Law Enforcement). Many people at that time took it to mean very specifically that law enforcement was valued more than/to the exclusion of minorities. In the heat of that, an HOA not too far from us actually challenged a resident for flying that flag and had them take it down. 

I'd definitely grant it's a regional thing. 

• Like 4

Speaking as the daughter of a (now deceased) former police chief, the law enforcement community used blue ribbons to memorialize law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty for several decades at least.  Long before I ever heard anything about BLM. The grayscale American flag with the blue line did come out around the same time as BLM.  I never knew it had connections to racism, though it wouldn't surprise me if it has been co-opted.  Isn't that how all dog whistles come about?

• Like 5

6 hours ago, TheReader said:

As far as funky things in front yards, a house near our church has 2 big blue Easter Island heads, plus a dinosaur. Very fun. 

Nothing of note in our neighborhood (darn HOA....) but one guy is landscaping with some enormous rocks that just look....odd. 

We are going to need a picture of the Easter Island heads yard.  Share the fun! 😁

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, athena1277 said:

We are going to need a picture of the Easter Island heads yard.  Share the fun! 😁

I'll be out near-ish there tomorrow; I'll try and get a picture. It's hilarious. Sometimes they move them around, even. 

DH really wants to craft a giant bubble (ala bubble gum, ala Night at the Museum) and go add it on one evening......

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, athena1277 said:

Okay, found it in google maps street view, took a screen shot, and cropped it down to just the house w/o identifying info such as town, address, etc. 

The dinosaur is missing, but this shows both blue Easter Island heads. They sometime shift position, etc. (one is on either side of the large tree....)1977867149_easterislandhouse.jpg.1be8b943755e2b66d151c8946737b4f7.jpg

• Haha 14

7 hours ago, TheReader said:

As far as funky things in front yards, a house near our church has 2 big blue Easter Island heads, plus a dinosaur. Very fun.

At first I misread this as "a church near our house," and I was wondering what, exactly, might be that denomination. 🙂

• Haha 7

8 hours ago, MercyA said:

Always good to hear from you, moonflower. ❤️

I should clarify that I personally don't think "white supremacy" when I see the thin blue line flags. I do see at the very least a refusal to acknowledge the very real and very significant problems of racial profiling and unjust use of force (particularly against people of color) by law enforcement agencies. 

Perhaps my view is influenced by hearing "good" people in my own town--people whom I would have previously said were NOT racist--saying things like, "Those people [black people] only get off their butts to protest." There is also most definitely a prevailing attitude here, especially among conservatives, that whatever the police (or military, for that matter) does is right and just and should automatically have our support.

I trust that most people on this board have actually taken the time to think through these issues for themselves. I'm not sure that is true for the general population. From what I've seen and heard, I suspect it is not.

Well I can agree with this 100%.  I don't think most people think through issues, on any side of any debate.  My faith in democracy is not high.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TheReader said:

Nothing of note in our neighborhood (darn HOA....) but one guy is landscaping with some enormous rocks that just look....odd. 

Okay, I think Easter Island heads and a dinosaur win, honestly.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Back in the 80s, lawn ornament goose families in clothing were all over my hometown. The lawn ornaments were a set of mama, papa and goslings.  Clothing showed up not long after. Some of the displays were elaborate and crafters were selling outfits of every kind.  I have no idea if it was a localized fad or not!

Edited by happi duck
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, happi duck said:

Back in the 80s, lawn ornament goose families in clothing were all over my hometown. The lawn ornaments were a set of mama, papa and goslings.  Clothing showed up not long after. Some of the displays were elaborate and crafters were selling outfits of every kind.  I have no idea if it was a localized fad or not!

Those were still around in the 90s in Ohio.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2019 at 3:23 PM, PrincessMommy said:

@Angie in VA  I just can't be a Nationals fan.  The Orioles was such a happy part of my kids growing up, I could never leave.  

I've been thinking that I need to get some kind of large lawn ornament for  my yard after following this thread.  I have an acre of land, surely I've got some space somewhere.  😉

Surely the former homeowner left some kind of ornament around that you can use in the front!

Edited by school17777

2 hours ago, happi duck said:

I just googled and these are still around! I'm getting one ASAP!!!!!! 

I'm seriously so excited. See, I have become a bit of a lawn care nut. I love working on it, and totally redid the whole thing with new seed, and follow a bunch of youtube channels about lawn care. And most of them have a flamingo in their yard - it's kind of a "thing" right now, sort of a mocking but not ironic funny thing to put this tacky flamingo in their amazing lawn. And I was going to get one too, but the right one hasn't struck my fancy. Plus, I'm in florida, so it's a little harder to see it as ironic since people use them non ironically. But the goose! The goose is PERFECT! Plus my husband is from the midwest, and he loves geese - he actually had a pet goose at one time. And he loves ridiculous holiday stuff. 

I actually after reading this thread and had this conversation:

Me: (bursts into bedroom out of breath and waving arms) Good! You're still awake! I just learned about this thing-

Him: (rolls eyes) Oh yeah, what's new important thing happened in the lawn care world?

Me: (ignoring his sarcasm) Well, you know about the whole flamingo thing? And how I hadn't found one? I have something better! A goose!

We then went on to look at geese outfits online, and he discussed how he'd seen them up north, etc etc. At this point I'm ready for bed and tell him I'm going to let the dogs out one last time. 

Him: What? You can't come in here and show me lawn geese and crazy outfits and expect me to be able to sleep!

Me: I know, right?

HIm: Um...I was kidding. 

Me: Oh.

• Like 4
  • Haha 18

we had the geese around here (suburban midwest) when I was a kid

If anyone here sews and wants to start an Etsy shop, "lawn goose clothes" is a suggested search, meaning a fair number of people search it, and it's super sparse for results.   there are like 3 people selling goose clothes on Etsy (okay, there are more, but not many).  Seriously, this is a business opportunity.  Get some professional quality photos, sew up some goose outfits, cha-ching.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, moonflower said:

we had the geese around here (suburban midwest) when I was a kid

If anyone here sews and wants to start an Etsy shop, "lawn goose clothes" is a suggested search, meaning a fair number of people search it, and it's super sparse for results.   there are like 3 people selling goose clothes on Etsy (okay, there are more, but not many).  Seriously, this is a business opportunity.  Get some professional quality photos, sew up some goose outfits, cha-ching.

I'll be the best customer if you do! 

• Like 1

My mother-in-law inherited a goose and goose clothes from the previous owners of their house.  My kids have many fond memories of dressing the goose.  I.n fact, my youngest was just wondering what happened to it as it is no longer on the porch.  Mom must have gotten tired of fiddling with it.  Too bad because my youngest would have loved helping her with it now.

6 hours ago, MercyA said:

@Ktgrok, I confess that I have always wanted a lawn goose. It's like, the fun of dressing something up, and 80's kitsch, and an animal statue, and fun holiday decor all rolled into one!!!

So...we must have pictures when your goose arrives, okay? 🙂

Absolutely!

I ordered the lifeguard outfit at half price with the sale for "Goose Week" and am about to order the goose itself. The outfit was less than $9 on sale!

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

Those were still around in the 90s in Ohio.

My MIL had garden geese in her suburban Ohio yard. She dressed them up for every holiday; it was bizarre. But they were very popular in her neighbourhood. I’ve never seen them anywhere else.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

I'm gonna have to google this goose thing...I'm not sure I've seen it around here.

I do remember these wooden gardening figures that were popular years ago. Sometimes when I weed the front flower bed, I wonder if I resemble them (except in yoga pants...):

IMG_0770.JPG.f4932e40c66092c2c48349a6f0c01270.JPG

I'd never seen the goose thing before either, but I have seen these signs. I KNOW I resemble that lady when I'm picking weeds, but I now understand why she faced that way and showed off her bum. The alternative is to face the street and then with my fairly loose v neck shirts everyone would be able to see down my shirt. My bent over bum seems better than flashing my cleavage, lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MEmama said:

My MIL had garden geese in her suburban Ohio yard. She dressed them up for every holiday; it was bizarre. But they were very popular in her neighbourhood. I’ve never seen them anywhere else.  

There are still a couple around in my small Indiana town. 🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MercyA said:

@Ktgrok, there is a cool article in The Atlantic about lawn geese!!! "Nothing Says Midwest Like a Well-Dressed Porch Goose. Bringing people together since the 1980s."

BTW, if I had a lawn goose, I'd be sorely tempted to dress her up like a squirrel. LOL.

Aww, I saw that one. My favorite is I think the one that dresses them up like a flamingo 🙂

We are definitely getting the Frankenstein's monster one for halloween, and probably an ugly sweater one for winter, then one of the santa ones, etc. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I just googled and these are still around! I'm getting one ASAP!!!!!! 

I'm seriously so excited. See, I have become a bit of a lawn care nut. I love working on it, and totally redid the whole thing with new seed, and follow a bunch of youtube channels about lawn care. And most of them have a flamingo in their yard - it's kind of a "thing" right now, sort of a mocking but not ironic funny thing to put this tacky flamingo in their amazing lawn. And I was going to get one too, but the right one hasn't struck my fancy. Plus, I'm in florida, so it's a little harder to see it as ironic since people use them non ironically. But the goose! The goose is PERFECT! Plus my husband is from the midwest, and he loves geese - he actually had a pet goose at one time. And he loves ridiculous holiday stuff. 

I actually after reading this thread and had this conversation:

Me: (bursts into bedroom out of breath and waving arms) Good! You're still awake! I just learned about this thing-

Him: (rolls eyes) Oh yeah, what's new important thing happened in the lawn care world?

Me: (ignoring his sarcasm) Well, you know about the whole flamingo thing? And how I hadn't found one? I have something better! A goose!

We then went on to look at geese outfits online, and he discussed how he'd seen them up north, etc etc. At this point I'm ready for bed and tell him I'm going to let the dogs out one last time. 

Him: What? You can't come in here and show me lawn geese and crazy outfits and expect me to be able to sleep!

Me: I know, right?

HIm: Um...I was kidding. 

Me: Oh.

Yay!

• Like 1