Menu

Do you regret starting to color gray hair?

AnnE-girl

I thought about asking this on the thread about transitioning back to natural color after covering gray for years, but I didn't want to sidetrack it.

I'm suddenly getting more gray hair and I don't like it. I'm only 36. I thought I'd have a few more years. It's not terrible, but the flash of silver in my otherwise chestnut brown hair is disconcerting. I've only ever done a semi-permanent home hair dye a couple of times in my late teens. I think if I do something, I should go to a professional and have some highlights/lowlights too. I'm just worried that once I start coloring my hair, I'll be stuck in a cycle of having to keep up with it. I'm fairly low maintenance, so I don't really even know what I'm doing.

So give it to me straight--does anyone regret starting coloring your hair? Or, if you don't, how do I find a good place to start?

• Like 2

I don't regret it. My dh has blonde hair, and my was going gray quickly. Once people started referring to my hair as salt and pepper I started coloring it.

I have only used at home dye. I talked to the salon, and it sounded like it wasn't going to last much longer than store bought.

I usually try to go as close to my natural color as possible. I've always liked my dark brown hair.

Kelly

• Like 2

No regrets. I started to have grays in my early 20's. At 54 I don't want anyone to think I'm 9yo's grandmother. My natural color is red. It's an identity thing. I currently have purple in there too because....I wanna. And that is the thing. Do what you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Edited by joyofsix
  • Like 3

Nope, not one bit.

My maternal grandmother was completely gray/silver in her 30s.  My Aunt was gray early as well.  My Mom not quite as early.  I started going gray in my mid-30s. 

Under my color I'm almost completely gray/silver.  My hair grows super fast and I get it touched up every four weeks.  I used to do it myself but the gray was making my color more red so I gladly pay a professional to do it for me. 

I'll let it grow one of these days....in 30 years or so.  ;)

Yes and no. I started going grey at 16 so for many years I had fun with it. Different shades, highlights etc. I have jet black hair and at 44 am mostly grey (I think), so I have to color often. I would like to go grey but my husband has begged me not to so for now I put up with it. I am also looking to go back to work in the next year or so, so I will probably wait until after I get a job to go grey.

ETA, if I was just starting to go gre at 36 I doubt I would have ever colored. I am low maintenance and I don't worry about getting older.

Edited by Plateau Mama

I highlight my dark brown hair to blend in the gray. My mom was completely gray well before my age (34), and my brother is about half bald at 26. It doesn't look that bad if I grow it out and skip a year of color, but I'm not sure what I'll do when I get to the point where I need to keep it up or stop altogether.

I do feel a little weird about coloring because I'm extremely low maintenance. I don't even own makeup or nail polish. The only jewelry I have is a wedding ring and one necklace (that I wear everyday because I have nowhere else to put it). I wear only jeans and t-shirts. The highlighting doesn't look bad, just... incongruent with the rest of my so-called style.

Edited by BarbecueMom

No, not at all. I started having my hair colored ten or twelve years ago and it really made me feel a lot better about myself. I stopped this past Thanksgiving, right before I turned 54. And I'm liking the natural look just fine now. But I don't at all regret the years I colored it, and I won't hesitate to start back if I decide I want to.

• Like 1

yes . . .  I started out highlighting to blend the gray. . . then I colored.  then I went back to professional foil tri-color highlighting.   last fall, I had her really tone down the brassiness and stopped completely.  because I pulled my hair back - and my natural color was cool to they foiled warm but otherwise close shades, it wasn't that noticeable.

what I got really tired of what the different texture between colored and my own hair.  my own hair was much softer.

• Like 1

I plan to do what my mom did and gradually go lighter to make it less conspicuous. Although my hair is a bit darker than hers was to start off with so who knows how that will work. But some people I know who have tried to match a dark tone to cover gray have ended up with a very artificial, heavy look, which is ageing in its own way.

I started getting gray hairs in my 20s, but they didn't really become noticeable until my latter 30s.  At first I used home temp dyes, then I transitioned to salon jobs, then (when I got fed up with my stylist putting more red in my BROWN hair than was natural, necessitating dying my brows to match) I switched back to doing it again at home with permanent dyes with periodic root touch-ups to extend the time between full treatments.  Then I found a stylist who could match my original dark brown without a lot of red, so I started seeing her because I got tired of doing it myself at home.

As the years progressed it became more and more apparent (when my roots would show) that my head wasn't graying uniformly -- I had patches of nearly all white interspersed between dark patches speckled with a few white hairs.  I didn't like this piebald look, but being overloaded with demands upon my time I simply didn't get into the salon often enough and struggled to get the time at home for root touch-ups.  I noticed, too, that there was a growing disconnect between the age of my face and the visual age of my hair -- they simply didn't look right together anymore.  Instead of people thinking I was 10 years younger than my actual age (quite typical most of my adult life) people started thinking I was OLDER than I actually was -- I had that older-woman-trying-to-look-young appearance.

I also didn't want to be like my grandmother, who in her mid-80s was still dying her thinning hair black.  As my 50th birthday approached I realized I would have to stop dying my hair at some point, and decided that would be a 50th birthday present to myself.  It took two solid years to grow the dyed hair out to shoulder length (my usual length that flatters me so well).

To start with I picked up root touch-up kits and for the first several months I simply would streak my gray roots, covering only some but not all.  This broke up the "skunk line" and made it a lot less noticeable.  After some months of that I simply stopped all dying completely and let it grow, occasionally getting it cut to my preferred length.  When I was just a month or two away from having the dyed hair all grown out past shoulder length I had my hair cut shorter than usual, just to get rid of the last of the dye.

What I discovered as my own natural hair color grew out:

1. I didn't have as much gray hair as I thought I did -- far less!
  2. The gray in my hair creates beautiful streaks that look like natural highlights.
  3. My own hair color, gray and all, matches my face beautifully!  People were once again thinking I'm 10 years younger than I actually am.

Whether or not to color your hair is entirely up to you -- you are the only person who can determine whether it is worth it or not.  I do advise, however, giving thought to a strategy for transitioning out of the dye job at some future point.  Having a plan in mind will make it easier when that time comes.

• Like 5

one of the things that really turned me onto my natural color, was one of my son's friends mother's who has very pretty silver curls.  very flattering.

my own color is less gray than I thought.  it's very platinum with gray highlights - which don't show that much.  but I definitely see the black roots - which are part of the gray.

No.  My face is pretty young looking but add in gray hair and I look old.  My coloring is auburn hair and freckles, gray washes my face out completely and I look sallow.

Nope, I will color for a good long while!

I quit dying my hair when the greys wouldn't hold color. I found my natural color is much prettier than a box, I have a lot of reds, browns, greys mixed in. It's also very curly, so the various colors look kind of cool. Do I look older? Probably, but I am older and I take care of my skin, so I don't look completely washed out. 

I really got tired of the upkeep of dying, so I embraced the grey. It took me a couple of times of stopping before I did so. Some of my favorite professors are greying, mostly men, and they look distinguished not aged. My mom has silver hair and it always looks nice. One of the former boardies has long silver curly hair, she's my inspiration. I think your countenance and attitude age you much more than your hair color. At least that's my story anyway. 

• Like 2

My natural hair color is light blonde, so my grey is not as noticeable as if I had dark hair.  But I tri-color foil it as well, and it is the grey texture that drives me bat shit crazy.  It's seriously old lady texture and frizzy. 

yes . . .  I started out highlighting to blend the gray. . . then I colored.  then I went back to professional foil tri-color highlighting.   last fall, I had her really tone down the brassiness and stopped completely.  because I pulled my hair back - and my natural color was cool to they foiled warm but otherwise close shades, it wasn't that noticeable.

what I got really tired of what the different texture between colored and my own hair.  my own hair was much softer.

• Like 1

Zero regrets!!  I started out highlighting and then had to do both a base color and highlights starting in early 40s because I had so much gray.  Now at 52, I don't see myself ever stopping the coloring process.  Gray hair and my skin tone aren't a great combo.  

• Like 1

I was happy enough with the results of the at home wash-in stuff. It was just tedious to keep up with it, because I am lazy about my hair.

My only real regret was getting it done at a salon one time and telling the stylist to pick the color she thought looked best to blend in with my natural hair. I have very dark brown hair (people often say it is black), and the stylist picked something with eggplant undertones. NOT HAPPY! 

After that, I just abandoned the dyes for a while. I may start up again, who knows.

I thought about asking this on the thread about transitioning back to natural color after covering gray for years, but I didn't want to sidetrack it.

I'm suddenly getting more gray hair and I don't like it. I'm only 36. I thought I'd have a few more years. It's not terrible, but the flash of silver in my otherwise chestnut brown hair is disconcerting. I've only ever done a semi-permanent home hair dye a couple of times in my late teens. I think if I do something, I should go to a professional and have some highlights/lowlights too. I'm just worried that once I start coloring my hair, I'll be stuck in a cycle of having to keep up with it. I'm fairly low maintenance, so I don't really even know what I'm doing.

So give it to me straight--does anyone regret starting coloring your hair? Or, if you don't, how do I find a good place to start?

I do not regret it one bit. I am 46 and have a two-step process (highlights and then toner) professionally done every 10-12 weeks. When I was your age, I started with at-home semi-permanent color. I used Natural Instincts at that time. Benefit: this was inexpensive and it worked well for the small amount of grey I had. Liability: my hair is long and thick. It takes three kits to do my hair and it is easy to miss spots or get uneven coverage when I'm doing it myself. I never went to permant home color because I do not like that one-color dye job look. So, when it was getting too hard to do well at home, I went to the process I described above.

If it were impossible to afford this, I would beg my daughter or a friend to help me manage the semi-permant color at home, I guess. But since I can afford to have it professionally done at this point, I just do it and consider it an investment in feeling good about how I look.

• Like 1

No. No regrets.

My maternal grandmother had lovely silver hair so when my mom started going gray she thought she'd get that same pretty color. She was wrong. Hers came in a yellow-white that didn't look good with her complexion (and it wasn't obvious until she had so much gray it was already too late). Since gray hair doesn't take color when she decided to color her full head of gray hair, even though she had it done professionally, it just didn't look good. It never looked natural. I learned from her mistake and won't stop coloring it until I'm willing to go gray for good.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

I started graying in my 20's by age 29 everyone was telling me "you know you got gray hair"  I was tired of hearing it so I havne't been without dye since LOL.  I'm now 47.  I actaully started dying the gray at age 27 with temorary stuff but it really didnt' work for my hair. So permanit dye for a long time.  I will continue to dye until I'm ready to look old LOL. 

• Like 1

Silver hair totally rocks. It is so in right now that the kids are dying their hair to look so cool.

Fortunately, nature has done an awesome job taking care of me.

But my poor wife? Over 50, still has her natural dark brown hair. 

What a gyp!

Bill 

• Like 3

No regrets here either. I didn't expect to color my hair but tried it once and liked it. I just do the grocery store stuff and try to match my natural color.

I do it myself too.  I once splurged on having it done thinking it would be so great.  Wasn't any different or better than what I can do at home for around $7!  I was so surprised by how not special it was to have it done in a hair salon. 

I started highlighting when I was in my late 30's. But I always felt to blonde. Switched to coloring for part of my 40's. In my mid 40's I got tired of the maintenance and went natural. I don't regret any of my choices. Except for that last highlight job. Way too blonde for my skin.

The advantage of coloring hair early is that you never find out when you start going gray and you can keep pretending it never happened. Or so I'm told ;)

This.

I have always played with hair color. That's what comes from hanging out with a stylist crowd in one's younger years. I love color, and have been every color imaginable.

Blonde highlights now (I'm a natural blonde), and I know there's grey under there, but have never seen it, so ... what grey? :)

• Like 3

I was actually thinking of starting a topic like this too. I'm 30 and all of a sudden, every time I look at my temples I swear there's a new grey or 10 in there. They're not yet clumped in a group, so it's not at all obvious. Yet.

2 Problems:

1. My DH has inherited his family's baby face. People frequently comment on it, but never about me. I don't want to go grey and look like a cradle-robber.

2. My mom and aunts were all very grey by their mid-to-late 30s. They were absolute slaves to salons and at-home kits. We all have fast-growing hair, and they could get a "landing strip" or "skunk stripe" overnight. My mom is 52 and still dying her white-grey hair jet-black. It's getting to the point where I think she'd look younger if she started taking steps to lighten up. I'm somewhat low-maintenance but care a lot about looking neat and presentable. I don't want to be tied down to hair-dying on the tight schedule my relatives need.

The good news is that my greys seems to be a nice shimmery-silver color. People compliment me when I'm wearing muted, cool colors with a dash of shimmer, so it's possible that my future natural color will really suit me.

Edited by lavender's green
  • Like 1

I did regret coloring my gray. I used a temporary rinse but my hair is apparently really porous and it stuck. Though it faded, I had to let it grow out. If I had been able to use temporary rinses, I may have stayed with it until I had enough gray that it looked pretty.

However, I just don't like dedicating a ton of time to hair. I would not have liked the every 6 weeks for a touch-up and since I really dislike the way roots showing looks, I opted to go natural. 

I don't think older is bad, but I think washed out and tired is a bad look.  Grey hair is lovely if you've got the right shade and can pull it off and not look like a corpse.  I think for most people, it washes out their color and makes them look half dead.

I definitely look older with my hair gray. But I don't understand why 'older' is a terrible way to look.

I went gray at age 27. I've been coloring since then. I HATE it with a burning passion. I wish I could stop but at 40 with my youngest being almost 3 I just don't want to be gray. Based on my roots, I think I would be 100% gray as would my mom and sisters(all older) who still color also.

What makes it bearable for me is to do it myself with box color. I literally do no have time to go to a pro every 4 weeks. This way I can root touch up late at night when the kids are sleeping. I only fully color every 4 or so times and use only a root touch up the other times.

Professionally high/low lights do look great but take an insane amount of $ for upkeep and I just can't do it. I am as low maintenance as it gets and having to color my hair makes me CRANKY. But I don't want to go gray either so I just have to deal.

No. No regrets.

My maternal grandmother had lovely silver hair so when my mom started going gray she thought she'd get that same pretty color. She was wrong. Hers came in a yellow-white that didn't look good with her complexion (and it wasn't obvious until she had so much gray it was already too late). Since gray hair doesn't take color when she decided to color her full head of gray hair, even though she had it done professionally, it just didn't look good. It never looked natural. I learned from her mistake and won't stop coloring it until I'm willing to go gray for good.

I don't understand this. I am completely gray so all my hair is gray under the color. The color works fine. Yes I've been doing it all along but the hair at the roots is totally gray and takes the color perfectly. How would waiting until all or mostly gray change that? Edited by busymama7

I definitely look older with my hair gray. But I don't understand why 'older' is a terrible way to look.

I don't have a problem with looking older and I never shrink from admitting my age. But not all gray hair is created equal. Some grays just don't look good and it has nothing to do with how old it makes one look.

• Like 1

I don't understand this. I am completely gray so all my hair is gray under the color. The color works fine. Yes I've been doing it all along but the hair at the roots is totally gray and takes the color perfectly. How would waiting until all or mostly gray change that?

Some gray hair is resistant to color. Even now not all of my gray hair absorbs the color, which is why I get highlights added to my color. If you have color resistant gray, the more gray you have, the harder it will be to color. 

I'm trying to find a good link, but most of what I'm coming up with is just ads for color products. I'll post a link a bit later if I can find one.

ETA: What I'm finding so far is that it's about texture. It looks like the coarser textured the hair, the more resistant it is to color. That makes sense since my mom had thick, coarse (very Italian) hair. I got the fine flyaway hair that my Irish dad had, so maybe I won't have the problem she had with coloring.

Edited by Lady Florida.

My hair is brown all over, except for a streak of silver-white in the front. It's not a huge streak, but is there. If I part my hair on one side, I can play it up a bit. If I part it on the other side, it can be mostly hidden. I don't mind the streak because I think it's a little bit cool to have a streak of grey in my brown hair. I leave it alone.

But when that streak turns into a clump all over the top of my head, I'm going to start coloring. I didn't think I would until my friends started getting clumps of grey and I saw how much it aged them.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

My hair is brown all over, except for a streak of silver-white in the front. It's not a huge streak, but is there. If I part my hair on one side, I can play it up a bit. If I part it on the other side, it can be mostly hidden. I don't mind the streak because I think it's a little bit cool to have a streak of grey in my brown hair. I leave it alone.

But when that streak turns into a clump all over the top of my head, I'm going to start coloring. I didn't think I would until my friends started getting clumps of grey and I saw how much it aged them.

My dh has been nagging me to let my hair go gray because of the frequent upkeep (I have to get my roots done every 10-14 days because my hair grows so fast..the white is showing within a week). He recently saw a friend of mine who is younger than I am but who looks quite a bit older now because she has gone gray. He noticed the difference and has not said anything to me again about coloring my hair. 

• Like 1

I've been coloring my hair for a long time. My sister never did and has been rocking her natural gray color for about 10 years now. She even uses a bluing shampoo to keep it bright.

About 6 months ago, I thought of going my natural color because I had gotten so gray that I always had spots at the roots that were highly contrasted. I hate that!

The reason I didn't is because I still have young kids and if I was completely gray then I would be mistaken for their grandmother even more frequently.

Then a weird thing happened. I forgot to color my hair. I kind of thought I had done it, but I came across the unopened box of dye so I was really confused. I went to the mirror and I didn't have a line at the roots. I put on my glasses. I could almost see a strip of more shiny brown at the roots, but I couldn't really even tell where the dividing line was.

I called over my daughter who colors my hair for me. I asked her if I was going crazy. She said that my hair had clearly turned more brown and less gray.

I had started eating very differently before this change, so I tried to do some research and see if there was any explaination.

Apparently the speed at which you go gray might be due to both genetics and insulin. Weird!

• Like 2

I don't have a problem with looking older and I never shrink from admitting my age. But not all gray hair is created equal. Some grays just don't look good and it has nothing to do with how old it makes one look.

I say this to my SIL, who is blonde. She has asked why she would ever want to color her hair; wouldn't it just look like highlights? Well, it might. But it might not. Not all grey hair is just like your original hair but without color.

• Like 1

I did.  I used a box color off and on for about a year when I was a couple of years in to finding gray strands and trying to pluck them out (stupid idea!).  My regret is who's got time for that LOL.  Obviously some people do!  I just don't.  I couldn't stay up on it and I don't care enough to do so.  I keep my hair tidy and like to style it otherwise, I just don't care if it's gray.  I refuse to let the color of my hair age me.  

I've been coloring my hair for a long time. My sister never did and has been rocking her natural gray color for about 10 years now. She even uses a bluing shampoo to keep it bright.

About 6 months ago, I thought of going my natural color because I had gotten so gray that I always had spots at the roots that were highly contrasted. I hate that!

The reason I didn't is because I still have young kids and if I was completely gray then I would be mistaken for their grandmother even more frequently.

Then a weird thing happened. I forgot to color my hair. I kind of thought I had done it, but I came across the unopened box of dye so I was really confused. I went to the mirror and I didn't have a line at the roots. I put on my glasses. I could almost see a strip of more shiny brown at the roots, but I couldn't really even tell where the dividing line was.

I called over my daughter who colors my hair for me. I asked her if I was going crazy. She said that my hair had clearly turned more brown and less gray.

I had started eating very differently before this change, so I tried to do some research and see if there was any explaination.

Apparently the speed at which you go gray might be due to both genetics and insulin. Weird!

Very interesting! Both my sister and I grayed faster than our parents. In fact, my dad isn't gray yet and he's in his 70s. Both my sister and I are more gray than our mother, also in her 70s.