Menu

s/o Foods you like that many others don't

creekland

Loved the other thread, so wondered about this one.  What foods do you enjoy that many others scoff at?

For me:

lamb - it's my favorite meat in all forms, ground, ribs, chops, steaks, cubes for the crockpot, etc

venison - not lamb, but better than beef

spam - tried this and fell in love in Hawaii where it's used in/on everything

mushrooms - all sorts, plain, raw, cooked, on things, any way possible

lima beans - didn't grow up with them, but found out about them from hubby and love them

beets & beet greens - always enjoyed these

kale - cooked

Those are what come to mind right now, but I suspect I'll add others as folks contribute just like on the other list.

• Like 3

I love onions. To the point that I almost don't believe people when they say they don't like them. I know people hate onions, I really do, but I have found myself thinking "she thinks she doesn't like onions but she would like them in this dish."

Before onion haters jump on me I want you to know that I would never sneak onions on anyone and i do know some people cannot stand any trace of them. Rationally I do know and respect this.

But seriously, you love onions if you would just give them a chance ;)

I also like anchovies on pizza but that I understand other people balking at. I would never even eat them in the company of someone who didn't like them.

• Like 6

Mushrooms here too. I reluctantly gave up coffee due to reflux, but I'd cry if I couldn't have mushrooms. And bone-in, skin-on meats. I actually don't care for boneless, lean cuts, but that's more due to my lack of molars on one side than taste. Although all that yummy fat makes it taste better.

• Like 2

Loved the other thread, so wondered about this one.  What foods do you enjoy that many others scoff at?

For me:

lamb - it's my favorite meat in all forms, ground, ribs, chops, steaks, cubes for the crockpot, etc

venison - not lamb, but better than beef

spam - tried this and fell in love in Hawaii where it's used in/on everything

mushrooms - all sorts, plain, raw, cooked, on things, any way possible

lima beans - didn't grow up with them, but found out about them from hubby and love them

beets & beet greens - always enjoyed these

kale - cooked

Those are what come to mind right now, but I suspect I'll add others as folks contribute just like on the other list.

Lamb for me too!! I love it. If I could feed it to my family every night I would, but they only tolerate it rarely. Now I'm going to head off to the butcher and get some- it's been a while. :) It's just buttery deliciousness in a dish. 

Also adding: escargot, and occasionally alligator if it's cooked right! 

I like the really cheap packages of ramen noodles, the packs they sell for a quarter. :leaving:

My kids adore those. My DD "gourmets" them up with soy sauce and ginger and a bunch of stuff.

• Like 1

I love spinach.  I remember when I was a child and heard spinach jokes I thought--oh, I'm suppose to not like spinach. Should I--then I thought---no, I could never go without spinach!

I also really like beets. I think they taste really weird, but I like the wierdness.  Actually so do my kids.

And I just learned some folks don't like asparagus.  We are HUGE aspargaus lovers here.

• Like 2

And I just learned some folks don't like asparagus.  We are HUGE aspargaus lovers here.

I dislike the texture of asparagus. I keep trying it different ways because I think I would like the taste if I could find a preparation that left a tolerable texture. Sadly, I have yet to find something I can tolerate.

Mayo!  which is apparently almost universally despised here. 

Avocado

Mushrooms

Lamb

All vegetables (granted some I like more than others, but none I won't eat or totally hate)

All fruit, even those with fuzzy skin or odd textures

The also-despised-by-these-boards quinoa

Spam is only good when camping, fried with onions and potatoes and served with eggs (scrambled or fried)

I am surprised by all the foods mentioned in this thread - most seem lovely, and I had no idea many people hated them.

I don't eat a lot of meat, but I love liver, lamb and rabbit.

I love brussel sprouts, beets, mushrooms, and all vegetables (except okra and egg plant).

Black licorice.

Dark rye bread - the real kind, not the colored stuff.

pickled herring

I love onions. To the point that I almost don't believe people when they say they don't like them. I know people hate onions, I really do, but I have found myself thinking "she thinks she doesn't like onions but she would like them in this dish."

Before onion haters jump on me I want you to know that I would never sneak onions on anyone and i do know some people cannot stand any trace of them. Rationally I do know and respect this.

But seriously, you love onions if you would just give them a chance ;)

I like the really cheap packages of ramen noodles, the packs they sell for a quarter.  :leaving:

I like them with butter and garlic.

I love Brussels sprouts!!!!!!!

Hawaiian pizza

I love spinach.  I remember when I was a child and heard spinach jokes I thought--oh, I'm suppose to not like spinach. Should I--then I thought---no, I could never go without spinach!

I like brussel sprouts, asparagus and spinach but sauteed with garlic and olive oil.  Asparagus is also yummy bundled around mozzarella cheese, wrapped in bacon and baked.  YUMMY.

Black licorice

Mmm...you ever get a bag of Panda Black? I could eat the whole thing. But I think it raises your BP or lowers it or something...ha, I should probably know exactly which since I have very low blood pressure already. Every time I start eating them I think, "this might mess up my BP; maybe no more for a while." But I think they are so yummy!

ETA: I looked it up; yes, it can cause hypertension.

Edited by Quill
  • Like 1

Beets, Brussels sprouts, sauerkraut, horseradish and liverwurst. Love them all.

Hmm, yes, adding sauerkraut (Love it! Only introduced to it here in PA Dutch country), horseradish, and am ok with Brussels sprouts though I can't say they're my favorite thing to choose.  I don't dislike them either.  

I don't think I've ever had liverwurst.

Mmm...you ever get a bag of Panda Black? I could eat the whole thing. But I think it raises your BP or lowers it or something...ha, I should probably know exactly which since I have very low blood pressure already. Every time I start eating them I think, "this might mess up my BP; maybe no more for a while." But I think they are so yummy!

I love Panda licorice! I have low BP, so it could be medicinal for me. ;) 

• Like 1

I got hooked on pickled beetroot on my hamburgers now, after the Aussies mentioned it on a thread a couple months ago. It's so good! The rest of my family and friends haven't been adventurous enough to try it. That's great, as there's more beetroot for me! 

Hmm, yes, adding sauerkraut (Love it! Only introduced to it here in PA Dutch country), horseradish, and am ok with Brussels sprouts though I can't say they're my favorite thing to choose.  I don't dislike them either.  

I don't think I've ever had liverwurst.

I grew up in Pennsylvania Dutch Country, and I loved sauerkraut.  After I moved away I didn't love it anymore.  Maybe my Grammie has a secret recipe...

Ok... I am going to sound really wierd..... these are what come to mind. I have done these since being a kid... probably gotten from my siblings or Dad.

I put butter / Margerine on my soda crackers to eat by my soup. Yum!

Peanut Butter and Rogers Golden Syrup sandwiches. These are the best, but it is now a rare treat.

Tea Biscuits with butter and syrup. Maple syrup would be best. Better than pancakes! (Also rarely do it...)

I am pleased to say one of my step-daughters now do 2 of these!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Giving up reading this thread.  I'm so grossed out.  

I think I really only like the most common of common foods, and something has caused me to have the desires of a first grader.  Yes, I could live on macaroni and cheese and popsicles.

• Like 4

My son has basically no sweet tooth, but as a child, this is the one candy he would request. My husband also likes black licorice, including jelly beans and gum with the flavor.

• Like 1

I love horseradish and constantly looking for new ways to have it. I put it in potato salad, deviled eggs, mixed with miracle whip on roast beef sandwiches, mixed with ketchup

to make cocktail sauce. My new way is mixed with miracle whip for a bacon tomato sandwich.

I also love okra, squash, zucchini, venison, crawfish tails in crawfish etouffee

Some of these are things I don't think of people as not liking, but I guess it's true, like grits and okra.

The first thing that occurred to me was that I kind of like durian, at least in a context - in China, there was a sort of sweet thing that had it in it that I grew to like before I realized that durian was like, a banned product and people think it's horrible. I mean, yeah, I realized it smelled weird, but I think I tried it in one of those contexts where a Chinese person was shoving food at me and I didn't feel I had a choice so I ate it. I don't like it straight as much, but I've only had it that way a couple of times.

• Like 1

Radishes - the peppery, spicy ones. Yumm! I can eat them up like candy. But only raw, never cooked. I also love onions and asparagus, but you can keep the black licorice. My DH came home from Sweden with tons of their salty black licorice. Yuck!

Black licorice is so yummy.

I could eat roasted brussel sprouts like popcorn.

I have loved steamed spinach from the time I was a very little girl. I can't stand raw spinach, but can eat tons and tons of steamed spinach with a little salt and lemon squeezed on.