Menu

s/o Foods you like that many others don't

creekland

Mushrooms. I eat them almost every day for breakfast and throw them into as many dinners as I can. Luckily for me, dh likes them pretty well too, although not to the extent that I do.

Olives too. I love most olives, especially black ones.

I almost liked your post.  Then I saw your statement about olives.  ;)

Some of these are things I don't think of people as not liking, but I guess it's true, like grits and okra.

The first thing that occurred to me was that I kind of like durian, at least in a context - in China, there was a sort of sweet thing that had it in it that I grew to like before I realized that durian was like, a banned product and people think it's horrible. I mean, yeah, I realized it smelled weird, but I think I tried it in one of those contexts where a Chinese person was shoving food at me and I didn't feel I had a choice so I ate it. I don't like it straight as much, but I've only had it that way a couple of times.

Am I the only one who had to look up what durian was?  I've never heard of it before.  Apparently it's not common in rural America and we don't visit cities often enough to have stumbled upon it.

Otherwise, we have two Okra plants that will be transplanted into our garden tomorrow...

Grits and red-eye gravy is awesome.  It's the only way I like coffee TBH (in the red eye gravy).  That combo is something we have to get in the south as it doesn't exist up north anywhere I've seen.

• Like 1

Loved the other thread, so wondered about this one.  What foods do you enjoy that many others scoff at?

For me:

lamb - it's my favorite meat in all forms, ground, ribs, chops, steaks, cubes for the crockpot, etc

venison - not lamb, but better than beef

spam - tried this and fell in love in Hawaii where it's used in/on everything

mushrooms - all sorts, plain, raw, cooked, on things, any way possible

lima beans - didn't grow up with them, but found out about them from hubby and love them

beets & beet greens - always enjoyed these

kale - cooked

Those are what come to mind right now, but I suspect I'll add others as folks contribute just like on the other list.

Ha!  I love that whole list except the spam, which I've never had.  I guess I don't love limas, but I like them.  Mushrooms I prefer cooked - I get excited in the Fall when all the forest mushrooms start showing up at the market.

Other things:

Liver, kidney and heart (cooked properly!)

All kinds of fish

Solomon Gundy - a kind of pickled herring

Wow, there are a lot of things apparently people don't like! 

I was really surprised to see how many don't like things (like mayo or veggies) on that other list.  I now no longer classify my youngest son as a super picky eater TBH.  He doesn't like sweets, but he likes quite a few other things.

Liverwurst.  (On a potato roll, with provolone.)

I can't bring myself to use Spam, but I did recreate my mom's Spam casserole with actual ham.  Not one single person in my house will eat it, but it is one of my favorite comfort foods on a rainy day.

I'm also a big S.O.S. fan.  My children are not.

I'm completely fine with fatty meats. I have a good roast chicken recipe and will eat the skin by itself.

I like cream cheese (will eat it by itself) and sour cream; DH doesn't like either and apparently neither do a lot of other people. I don't mind mayo.

I don't mind lemons, limes or sour candy (love watermelon Warheads). I don't love black licorice, but I don't mind it either.

Generally I'm picky, though.

Edited by 73349

Am I the only one who had to look up what durian was?  I've never heard of it before.  Apparently it's not common in rural America and we don't visit cities often enough to have stumbled upon it.

We looked it up over a decade ago when my sons were using Singapore Math 3rd ed.

• Like 2

I learned about durian from Andrew Zimmern's show. It is one of the very few foods he spits out. I saw my first in real life durian a few years ago at our Asian speciality market. 

SaveSave

• Like 1

I love purple cabbage so much. I can break off a chunk and just eat it like a snack.

The other is A-1 sauce on just about anything. I don't like most sauces and condiments (dislike mayonnaise, special sauces, ketchup, all salad dressing et) and mustard is the only one besides A1 that I care for. However, I love A1 to a ridiculous degree. To me it is not just steak sauce. My favorite thing to eat it with is salmon, fish sticks, and fries. I get some weird looks :)

• Like 1

Looking at what some others have written...

Love black licorice.  Yummy.

Looove kale, since I was little.  But since the recent kale fad, I didn't think I was alone anymore... 

I really like mushrooms - but I didn't think that was unusual either!

And quinoa 

I love liverwurst (not liver, just liverwurst)

Didn't like sauerkraut when I was little, but came to love it (and also non-fermented cabbage) when I lived in Germany.

I like lamb very much, but admit I don't go out of my way to make it ($$$)

I'll also eat goat and squid and other weird stuff, but it's not that I looove them, but in spite of other thread, I'm not picky.  It's just the stuff I hate is considered 'normal' food...

And here's one no one else has mentioned - my favorite food, kasha, aka buckwheat groats.  I looove kasha.  It's my comfort food.  No one else seems to even know what it is, and usually people aren't particularly impressed when I give it to them.  More for me!!!

Beef tendons

Marrow

Lamb tongue

Tripe

Sweetbreads

Liverwurst

Musk Ox

Beets 

Horseradish

Cherries

Cactus (Nopales)

Brussels Sprouts

Cabbage (in any form: slaw, kimchee, sauerkraut, sauteed....)

Very stinky cheese (like Epoisse...drool)

Sardines

Anchovies

Mackerel

Salmon roe 

Herring

Olives

Capers

Lima Beans

Bill

Beef tendons

Marrow

Lamb tongue

Tripe

Sweetbreads

Liverwurst

Musk Ox

Beets 

Horseradish

Cherries

Cactus (Nopales)

Brussels Sprouts

Cabbage (in any form: slaw, kimchee, sauerkraut, sauteed....)

Very stinky cheese (like Epoisse...drool)

Sardines

Anchovies

Mackerel

Salmon roe 

Herring

Olives

Capers

Lima Beans

Bill

Wondering where we would even get Musk Ox... I'm pretty sure the local butcher doesn't have it even as a special request.   :tongue_smilie:

Looking at what some others have written...

Love black licorice.  Yummy.

Looove kale, since I was little.  But since the recent kale fad, I didn't think I was alone anymore... 

I really like mushrooms - but I didn't think that was unusual either!

And quinoa 

I love liverwurst (not liver, just liverwurst)

Didn't like sauerkraut when I was little, but came to love it (and also non-fermented cabbage) when I lived in Germany.

I like lamb very much, but admit I don't go out of my way to make it ($$$)

I'll also eat goat and squid and other weird stuff, but it's not that I looove them, but in spite of other thread, I'm not picky.  It's just the stuff I hate is considered 'normal' food...

And here's one no one else has mentioned - my favorite food, kasha, aka buckwheat groats.  I looove kasha.  It's my comfort food.  No one else seems to even know what it is, and usually people aren't particularly impressed when I give it to them.  More for me!!!

I like goat too, but that's harder to find around here.  I've had it at Caribbean restaurants.

Kasha?  Add me to those who wouldn't have known what it is.

Wondering where we would even get Musk Ox... I'm pretty sure the local butcher doesn't have it even as a special request.   :tongue_smilie:

I only had it once. The best thing I've ever eaten. Like beef...if you could concentrate the flavor of beef many times.

A flavor bomb!

And it was tender. Perhaps I had a tenderloin?

It was at a restaurant in Vancouver, Canada.

I want some now. I can taste it. So good...trust me.

Bill

• Like 1

Marmite, lamb, venison, haggis, but none of those is unusual here.  I also like liver, heart, kidney and ox cheek.  Squid is highly yummy.  Goat is good too.  But I eat most things.

How could I forget Marmite? Yum!

I'm also with you on the rest. Except for haggis. Never had haggis. It is actually illegal to sell lung for human consumption in the United States. Scored some lung once for my dog (under the table) but I didn't sample it.

Bill