Menu

Do you fantasize about post-HS re-education and career?

Sigh.  I love love LOVE homeschooling, I really do.  

For a number of reasons relating to the local education system, we are considering putting kids into the PS system around age 12-13.  That is 10 years from now for my youngest.  

At that point, I would be 44.  What I've been wanting to do since oldest was born is re-educate myself to become a midwife.  Here, that is a 3 year program, then a couple years as a "resident" midwife in the hospital until fully trained.  From the time I would finish with the school program, I would have 20 years still until retirement age here, so enough time to have a "real" career.  

Sometimes I'm really excited about this possibility, and other times I think I'm just kidding myself.  Will I have the energy in my mid-40s to completely start over?  Will it be a good move for my family?  My husband will be retirement age when I'm 50, how would it change our dynamic when he becomes the SAHH and I'm out working?  

And now the "what age do you expect to live to" thread has me wondering again.  My mom, despite living far away, came and helped me after the births of my kids and at various other times (recently after I had surgery, for example) and I would like to be able to do that myself for my kids.  Obviously, part time work is an option, so I need to be optimistic...

Anyway, anyone else fantasize about this?  How realistic do you think your dreams are?  

I've realized that the best thing I can do right now is maintain my physical health, so that I am ABLE to work to age 65-70.  At least that way the door remains open to me and I can decide later.   

• Like 6

Monica, I am right there now. I am in my late 40s, all kids are in school and I am just finishing a Master's degree so that I can earn a better income and help pay for college for my kids. I think that if you want to do it, you will find the energy for it, but if you really don't want to change paths, it will feel like a huge burden.

That age and stage of life is coming to you regardless - what do you want it to be like? How do you want to spend your time? Do you need that income if things go badly? 

In my case, my kids wanted to go to school and have done fine there. They were old enough to really help me and each other, so life was relatively smooth while I was in class and doing homework. I enjoy my field and am looking forward to the work. I feel like it has been a good change for me. I plan to work about 15-20 years and then hopefully we will be ready to retire. My health is good and honestly - I probably feel better than I did when my kids were preschool age. I've now had about a decade of sleeping through the night again - that improves life so, so much.

If you want it - you CAN do it. 

• Like 5

Oh I absolutely do.  I'll be 43 in July.  My older kid has one more year at home.  My younger kid will be 12 so he has some time left, but only having the one kid I have a lot more free time.  I have been taking classes and I toy with some ideas, but I too wonder if I'm being completely impractical.  Sometimes I think so what...be impractical.  There are no official rules that say your time for this is up.  But then I'm not completely oblivious to the fact it wouldn't be easy.  But then...so what.  I wish someone would tell me my ideas aren't completely nuts and I should go for it. 

*sigh*

• Like 4

Go for it. 40s is way too early to resign and think it is too late to start new things - you may live another FIFTY years. Half a century!

I am not quite in the same situation since I always worked part time. But when DD left for college, I went full time and took on a big project at work. I am still looking for new things to reinvent myself because, with my ancestors in mind, I have a realistic chance of fourty more years. That's too long for same-old-same-old.

ETA: If it turns out your family needs you to a degree that you cannot work full time, you can always quit or change to work part time. But not starting in anticipation of that possibility? 

2nd ETA: I have colleagues who are 79 and 81 years old. They do the work they love, and it keeps them young.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

Monica, I am right there now. I am in my late 40s, all kids are in school and I am just finishing a Master's degree so that I can earn a better income and help pay for college for my kids. I think that if you want to do it, you will find the energy for it, but if you really don't want to change paths, it will feel like a huge burden.

That age and stage of life is coming to you regardless - what do you want it to be like? How do you want to spend your time? Do you need that income if things go badly? 

In my case, my kids wanted to go to school and have done fine there. They were old enough to really help me and each other, so life was relatively smooth while I was in class and doing homework. I enjoy my field and am looking forward to the work. I feel like it has been a good change for me. I plan to work about 15-20 years and then hopefully we will be ready to retire. My health is good and honestly - I probably feel better than I did when my kids were preschool age. I've now had about a decade of sleeping through the night again - that improves life so, so much.

If you want it - you CAN do it. 

Go for it. 40s is way too early to resign and think it is too late to start new things - you may live another FIFTY years. Half a century!

I am not quite in the same situation since I always worked part time. But when DD left for college, I went full time and took on a big project at work. I am still looking for new things to reinvent myself because, with my ancestors in mind, I have a realistic chance of fourty more years. That's too long for same-old-same-old.

ETA: If it turns out your family needs you to a degree that you cannot work full time, you can always quit or change to work part time. But not starting in anticipation of that possibility? 

2nd ETA: I have colleagues who are 79 and 81 years old. They do the work they love, and it keeps them young.

These stories are so encouraging!  Thank you both.  

Thanks for all the replies, I really feel encouraged.  You are all right- I'm going to be 40, 50, 60, ... anyway, may as well be doing something I feel passionate about!

• Like 2

I have plans of going to school for nursing when my DC are older. I want to have a career as an ER nurse when my kids are grown. My youngest is only 7 but I think I could probably swing school for myself when my oldest two are done and my youngest two are in high school. Maybe 7 or 8 years from now? I'll only be 41-42. People in my family are active well into their 70s and 80s so early 40s seems plenty young enough to jump into something new.

• Like 3

I have lots of ideas. Which ones I follow will depend on the lay of the land at the time. I will be in my 40s when the youngest graduates, plenty of time hopefully to do some things.

I have ideas spanning the spectrum from accounting/finance, education department, one room school house, children's choir. Our family business should be running well by then too...

• Like 4

Three of my homeschool friends have indeed gone back to school successfully.

Two went to 2 yr nursing school. One got her Master's Degree so she can teach.

There are many non-traditional students now-a-days.

Our sons tutor in our community college's Math Lab, which specifically helps non-traditional students bring their Math Skills up to speed.

You would have a peer group at school. :)

Edited by Beth S
  • Like 4

My DS goes to high school next year and I think what he needs then is a driver (he is doing DE almost exclusively) versus a teacher. Thankfully Lyft is coming to town.

I never fully left my career (attorney) but the door to me returning is closing fast so I should do something about that.

I'm all alone now (DD in school and DS in Switzerland) and have had to face the fact that I don't have the discipline nor the hunger to retrain for anything else. To get re-educated would cost a fortune here. Supposedly my writing,when I do it, is decent. But an MFA would cost stupid amounts of money. So I've sort of made my peace with going back to doing what I did and know to do well.

• Like 3

My plan is to get an Associates while youngest is in high school. I will be right around 50 years old. I have a CPA, but not having worked for 20 years will seriously limit how much I can make as an accountant. I am thinking of some sort of health care professional - radiology, respiratory therapist, occupational therapist assistant. In my case, we need the boost to retirement funding desperately, so not working isn't really an option. I hope to work 15-25 years, banking most/all of my salary.

• Like 3

Absolutely go for it!

I'll just share a little advice, as someone who is now finding myself where you will be in 10 years: start a savings account today. The number one reason I don't drive myself right over to the university admissions office is because I don't have a dedicated fund for my own post-homeschooling professional development.

You know the saying, "little kids, little problems - big kids, big problems"? Well, that works for expenses, too. It's much less expensive to feed and clothe little people; at 12-13yo, they're hitting the age where costs go up, and that continues on through college. Dutifully begin putting a bit aside every week for tuition and you will not feel guilt for paying for a midwifery course instead of spending future cash flow on <you name it - orthodontics, afterschool activities, a first car, college applications, the clothes and technology "all the other kids have!">.

For many here, money won't be an object, but for me, it is. I wish I'd thought about it 10 years ago!

• Like 7

Even tho I'm working now, I have to limit my practice and appointment days/times because of homeschooling and kids at home.  Several of my colleagues with busier practices are either young single ladies or those a little older than me with kids grown.  I'm hoping to be able to grow my practice quite a bit more once I'm done schooling these kiddos.  I'd really love to open a birth center as well.

ETA:  I also have a dream of obtaining my Master of Science in Midwifery.  But alas, I am still paying on college loans for a degree I'm not using so I can't justify the expense of more student loan debt.  :(

Edited by Heather in OK
  • Like 2

I am in my 40s, still homeschooling, and in school myself. I went back for a masters a couple of years back in the hopes it would garner

employment in my field of choice. I've had to go on sabbatical from that particular path because it didn't help me grasp the employment I 

was looking for AND that degree is expensive! I am now pursuing a more affordable, and vastly different, educational path than previously but I'm pleased with my decision.

Just because you go back to school doesn't necessarily mean you WILL find work in your chosen field, although I really hope you do!

In the meantime, there are some websites that offer free or very affordable college-level courses out there, such as:

Coursera

This one started by Harvard and MIT

www.free-ed.net

An Herbal School

Bible College

Hope those give you some good leads!

As for energy levels, take care of yourself: get the sleep that you need, eat the healthiest foods for you, 

basically, take care of YOU, and you should have the stamina to study and take care of others.

• Like 2

It's possible that you'll have more energy for everything in your forties. Gestating, lactating, and caring for little people is constant and exhausting. In your 40s, your kids will be older, capable of helping you, and your sleep becomes more predictable. Near your age I got a little obsessed with some dance training and today, at 45, I'm dancing 10-12 hours a week; mostly as a teacher. I definitely have more control over my life now than at 30 when my kids needs dictated our every move. Now DH and I can go out and just text the kids. I'm in much better shape because I have more time to exercise and don't need childcare when I do. I 'felt' older when my kids where tiny.

As for homeschooling, I loved the elementary years, but the high school years weren't my favorite. My youngest has two years left and I'll be finished. I can't wait. I'm over it. I'm 16 years in and two to go and it's enough already. High school is just so much more work and really does take an entire school day to do it justice. This cuts into a lot of the perks of the homeschool lifestyle and tie you to a typical school schedule even more. I don't dislike it; I'm just good and ready to move on.

Eta: I forgot to mention that my oldest actually went to our local high school. It was a great experience. It was also so much easier and cheaper than homeschooling high school. In elementary, noting was that expensive. In high school, everything costs . . . books, classes, labs, language instruction, and the time it takes to drive everywhere adds up. My daughter had such a great high school experience there are many days I wish my son would choose to give it a go.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 4

I was just talking about this with a friend the other day. I do wish I had done things differently. I looked at college as something to get through, rather than something to throw myself into, if that makes sense. Neither of my parents went to college, so the "goal" for me was to go. It was never talked about as a place to find my passion or a place to push myself academically. Just as something to complete so I could get a good job. 

In retrospect, I wish I had been a bit more mature and followed my passion, which was and still is the weather. I would have loved getting a degree in Meteorology, but I ended up with an education degree. It's fine and I was good at my studies, but for some reason, it never occurred to me that weather could be more than a fun hobby. Silly, right? 

I actually looked into going back for a Meteorology degree, as Lyndon State College is about an hour from me and has a great program, but I think the math would be too much right now. I don't remember calculus and would need some remedial work before even attempting another degree. Factoring in the costs and the job prospects, I think it's best left as a hobby.

• Like 4

I'll be the odd one out. I have zero desire to go back to school and zero desire to work for income again, ever. I feel blessed to be done with that stage of my life and love my freedom. :)

I'm with you. Lots of things I want to do but none involve paid work. If I went back for classes I'd probably just audit them.

I'll be the odd one out. I have zero desire to go back to school and zero desire to work for income again, ever. I feel blessed to be done with that stage of my life and love my freedom.  :)

Not odd.  If I do anything, it'll be purely something I enjoy (barring needing the money for some unforeseen reason).  I love my freedom too, and I've worked enough jobs I hated to go back to that.

• Like 3

44 is so young! Yes, you should pursue what you want. 

I knew a woman who finished her master's in social work at 60 and got a job counseling.  She had been taking classes at night while working.  I've lost touch with her but I know she worked for several years after finishing school.

• Like 3

Yup I dream of this. Not so much the career part actually, but the education. My health is already not awesome and a 9-5 wouldn't work for me. I was working on my actuarial exams when I started having kids and I'd like to finish them someday. I also fantasize about a masters in theoretical physics. I doubt I could justify the expense as we probably can't afford to pay for all our children's college educations anyway.. But a girl can dream.

• Like 1

44 is so young! Yes, you should pursue what you want. 

I knew a woman who finished her master's in social work at 60 and got a job counseling.  She had been taking classes at night while working.  I've lost touch with her but I know she worked for several years after finishing school.

I love to hear this!

Thanks OP for asking what I'd been wanting to ask for awhile.

• Like 1

I returned to college last year and will graduate when I'm 40ish, a year or so before DS graduates high school.  It's been nice to have that outlet for my own brain; I just wish I could have postponed it until after DS has flown the nest (working, homeschooling, cleaning, cooking, chauffering, etc, and going to school isn't fun) but I can't help pay for his college being a housecleaner.

Anyways, I will rejoin the workforce at 40.  I kinda look at it like I lived my life backwards.  Instead of working through the young years then retiring to do whatever in my old age, I did exactly what I wanted when I was younger, lived according to my convictions, and then will work during the last half of my life helping DS in whatever way I can.

It sounds like your plan will work out great since the kids will be in school and I really hope it goes well for you.  I know I still haven't lost my enthusiasm for it even though it's been hard.

One of my grandmothers went back to get a college degree in a different field after she retired in her seventies!  She went part time and graduated after ten years!  Now she's a regional officer for her favorite charity and sometimes works more hours than my DH.   I say go for it!!!

Yes, have seriously considered going back for programming/MIS type degree.

• Like 5

Thank you everyone!  I wasn't sure exactly what I was expecting when I started the thread, but it has turned out to be very encouraging!  

I returned to college last year and will graduate when I'm 40ish, a year or so before DS graduates high school.  It's been nice to have that outlet for my own brain; I just wish I could have postponed it until after DS has flown the nest (working, homeschooling, cleaning, cooking, chauffering, etc, and going to school isn't fun) but I can't help pay for his college being a housecleaner.

Anyways, I will rejoin the workforce at 40.  I kinda look at it like I lived my life backwards.  Instead of working through the young years then retiring to do whatever in my old age, I did exactly what I wanted when I was younger, lived according to my convictions, and then will work during the last half of my life helping DS in whatever way I can.

It sounds like your plan will work out great since the kids will be in school and I really hope it goes well for you.  I know I still haven't lost my enthusiasm for it even though it's been hard.

Yes, I would not change the order I've done things.  I am not one of those people who wanted to have a crazy 20s decade or anything.  I was happy to marry at 22 and have my first at 24.  It also makes more sense biologically...  But it does mean I only worked for a year after finishing my university studies, and while I don't feel a *need* to earn, I do think I would like to give the whole career thing a try.  I was not passionate about what I was doing prior to getting pregnant, so it was not difficult to leave work.  And I didn't know what I was passionate about until having kids, so it really has worked out in terms of knowing myself better.  

• Like 1

I have sort of a half plan in my brain, so yes, I do think about it.

I'd like to learn some business bookkeeping, and figure out a way to do a little side work from home.  I don't really want to enter back into a full time job/career, but I would like something.  If nothing else, being able to do the books as a volunteer for a non-profit organization that I want to support.  

• Like 1

I used to.  I was feeling upbeat two years ago: children in school/university, new job, more time to myself, financial independence, working on my fitness.

Now my mother lives with us, one other family member is not well, and I have no way of fantasising, because I just don't know when the next phase of my life will start.

• Like 5

No, not really :)

I'm already 44 and my youngest is 7 so I have quite a while left of homeschooling to go. We are also adopting a little girl with special needs who is now 6. I don't know yet what her schooling will look like, but it will probably be at home.

When I am down to "just" one or two students I hope to have more time to teach private music lessons - maybe about 10 hours a week. I want to travel in our camper. And maybe I will have the time to tutor immigrants in English, be a volunteer doula, or organize a donation closet for moms in need.

And I want to be an available Grandma if needed.

I can't imagine going back to school and working on top of all that!

Oh, education wise I do want to learn more Russian and Chinese.

• Like 1

It's possible that you'll have more energy for everything in your forties. Gestating, lactating, and caring for little people is constant and exhausting. In your 40s, your kids will be older, capable of helping you, and your sleep becomes more predictable. Near your age I got a little obsessed with some dance training and today, at 45, I'm dancing 10-12 hours a week; mostly as a teacher. I definitely have more control over my life now than at 30 when my kids needs dictated our every move. Now DH and I can go out and just text the kids. I'm in much better shape because I have more time to exercise and don't need childcare when I do. I 'felt' older when my kids where tiny.

This is so encouraging.

And for the OP, if I stick this homeschooling thing out all the way, I'll be 64 when my youngest graduates.  I don't think I'll be seeking employment, but I can certainly envision myself pursuing education for enrichment, enjoying more volunteer hours, etc.  It's too far away to think about clearly yet, but I imagine the question about life as an empty nester will resurface in about a decade.

• Like 1

I have 4 kids 7-13 years old. All are at a private school for the last 2 years. I will complete my bachelors degree in nursing in 2 months. It's been so much work but I've loved it. I'm planning on working full time after graduation. I'm 40 years old. My only regret is not doing it sooner.

• Like 2

Now see I did the opposite of you, and I feel like I lived my life backwards. :-)   I worked for 20+ years before I finally got married and had kids.  I thought I would homeschool and then retire happily when that was done.  

Well, you know how things can change. Now I'm 61, my younger just graduated, and I am unsure what to do.   Financially it doesn't make sense for me to start living a life of leisure.  I'm taking some time off to decompress after some tough years of homeschooling, which means reading some novels and getting my house clean, lol.  Then, we'll see. :-) 

I am considering getting more education (maybe a master's in education) and doing volunteer work at our local Christian school to teach/tutor remedial high school English.  I used to teach at the school.  My health is not good, so I know that I wouldn't be able to teach full time.  If I work as a volunteer, I won't feel as bad if I have to take days off when I don't feel well.

• Like 1

Depending on where my kids go to college, it would become an immediate need rather than a non-urgent need for me to return to the work force full time.

If both kids go to a state university but stay at dorms at today's cost of attendance, my husband's entire take home pay would be almost wiped out since my kids are a year apart. Whatever is left of take home pay would cover home and car insurance, utilities and groceries but we don't eat much. So whatever work I get would be entirely for retirement savings.

If either kid goes to a costlier university, we would be tapping into savings. So I would even more need to go to work to rebuild savings as well as start retirement savings.

I would be 51 when my youngest turn 18 though so am looking more at private tutoring jobs which pays well here and there are many in their 70s still tutoring for a nice hourly rate. If I find an office job I like, I definitely won't mind the added bonus of health benefits, 401k and paid leave.

If I were to go back to school, I'll pick accounting certification because my kids can do that with me. They want to be self employed in the far future so accounting would come in useful for them.

If money for college and retirement isn't an issue, I would be doing full time volunteer work. I am just not a stay at home person and my home is not big enough to host gatherings.

For sure, I've had lots of threads on here about it. I had thought I would not work again but a few years ago that changed. 

I'm still not sure what I'm going to end up doing. 

I do know I want to work with kids. I want to teach in some way. 

I've gone back and forth on going back for my MSW but the program they did have locally is no longer an option. I did finally find one program only an hr away but it is $30k just for tuition. I don't think I can justify that, not for Social Work.

I 've done training to be a yoga teacher but I don't know where that will go, it is not something that really makes much money. But it is something that was on my bucket list and something I enjoy and easy to do on the side, so we'll see where it leads. 

• Like 2

I just want to drop in one more thought - I would love to go back for additional education, and I would like to apply that knowledge towards gainful pursuits.

HOWEVER

I have no desire to ever again be beholden to a 9 to 5 workplace routine. Or to subject myself to a poorly skilled manager. A "benefit" of stepping into the other side of a century has been a better ability to recognize that I am fiercefully independent. My next career, with or without the promise of great income, will have to be on my own terms. It's a flaw, I guess, but at least I acknowledge it.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 6

<snip>

Sometimes I'm really excited about this possibility, and other times I think I'm just kidding myself.  Will I have the energy in my mid-40s to completely start over?  Will it be a good move for my family?  My husband will be retirement age when I'm 50, how would it change our dynamic when he becomes the SAHH and I'm out working?  

<snip>

Dynamics can change anytime, for lots of reasons.  

I'll expand on what I said earlier.  I just finished homeschooling, age 61. Since we had kids, our (husband and my) plans had been that I would be a stay-home mom, which turned into homeschooling, and then I would retire.  My husband hoped to retire by 60 (BTW he is 8 years younger than I am) at which time our kids would be fully up and out, and we would be free to travel, etc. At that time he had a very good career and income.  Then, about 12 years ago, we started talking about him making a career change. We talked about it a long time before doing it. We knew he would never make as much money as he did before. But on paper it still looked like a good plan, though he probably would not retire so early, maybe 65. We actually implemented that plan 10 years ago next month.  And, as it happens, financially it hasn't worked out quite as well as we'd hoped, between the financial and housing crash (losing value on two houses, woohoo!) and income prospects.  

In other words, at this point our retirement is looking nothing like we thought it would 10, 15 years ago.   

So flexibility is important.  You going on and getting your education could be very valuable for both of you.   Maybe he will enjoy doing stuff around the house while you work. Or maybe your income will be needed.  Or maybe he won't want to retire at typical retirement age.  Or maybe he will want to change careers at some point - maybe you having a source if income will help facilitate that.  Who knows?  The possibilities are endless!  And I mean that in a good way.

• Like 1

I just want to drop in one more thought - I would love to go back for additional education, and I would like to apply that knowledge towards gainful pursuits.

HOWEVER

I have no desire to ever again be beholden to a 9 to 5 workplace routine. Or to subject myself to a poorly skilled manager. A "benefit" of stepping into the other side of a century has been a better ability to recognize that I am fiercefully independent. My next career, with or without the promise of great income, will have to be on my own terms. It's a flaw, I guess, but at least I acknowledge it.

Absolutely the same for me. It would have to be something special (or desperate) for me to end up full-time for someone else. I would work for the right person but unless things change we're not desperate for cash and certainly not desperate enough to take a crap job.

I've thought just about doing subbing b/c I could do it as I wanted and have summers off but the pay isn't great. None of my interests pay that much though, luckily dh has good benefits so that isn't a concern. 

I'd like to work so we can have money to retire earlier, money for travel and hobbies, more financial security. We really do pretty well but of course everything costs more the bigger kids get and a little income from me would give us some wiggle room.

I'm not certain I want to hs all the way through, although at times I can't imagine not having the kids at home. I've been in the schools, they're not perfect but there are some really fabulous teachers. I also wonder if hs'ing will be the right fit socially for my youngest 2, time will tell.

• Like 1

This is so encouraging.

And for the OP, if I stick this homeschooling thing out all the way, I'll be 64 when my youngest graduates.  I don't think I'll be seeking employment, but I can certainly envision myself pursuing education for enrichment, enjoying more volunteer hours, etc.  It's too far away to think about clearly yet, but I imagine the question about life as an empty nester will resurface in about a decade.

I will be 64 when youngest graduates high school. Right now I'm doing data entry part time from home, and tho' it doesn't pay well it fits with what we need right now. I have no desire to go back to my high stress Before-Kids career (technical editting) so I am looking for volunteer possibilities that will work with part-time income while youngest dd is in college. And then, we will be done and looking for an inexpensive, pleasant place to retire.

• Like 1

I am 44 and my kids are 15 and about-to-turn-13.   I am in the process of registering to take some classes to lead to (I hope) a master's degree and a teaching certificate, which I would LOVE to use by teaching middle or high school science classes.  

What got me started thinking about school was realizing how independent my kids have become with their education (which is a great thing!), and how little they need me, even now.   As far as homeschooling goes, I am a guidance counselor, curriculum specialist, and taxi driver.....and in 1 year, my DS will be driving, so I will lose the "taxi driver" status.   I also realized that I have at least 20 years left to work, so I might as well use the next 3-5 years to prepare myself for another career.

• Like 1

Just to encourage you... my mother got her bachelor's degree when she was nearly 60 years old, then went on to have a mini-career for ten years before fully retiring.

As for me, I still have several years of homeschooling to go (until 2024).  By that point, I'll be 51 years old and dh will be 56.  No idea what will happen after that, but I'd love to become a full-time volunteer.  I plan to do that for several years until dh retires, then we are going to hit the road full-time (again) and live in an RV and travel the country visiting all the kids.  Two months in each of their driveways each year. (LOL)

Edited by Kinsa

This last year of homeschooling took a lot out of me. Before this year, I had plans to get some sort of degree and a job. But now, all I can think about is resting. Lovely, lovely rest.

After 2 years of lovely rest, then maybe I'll be ready to do something constructive.

• Like 7

I'll be an empty-nester at 45.  Re-education, maybe.  Career, nah.  Unless we really needed the income for some unforeseeable reason, I'd rather hobby or volunteer or something other than paid employment.

ETA: good point about parental care.  Our parents will be in the 75-80 range at that point.  I'm an only child, and DH is oldest of two, so...yeah.  C'est la vie indeed.

Edited by CES2005
  • Like 2

You know we had always talked about doing sort of that, though at first it will be medical mission and just traveling around to see things: fall foliage in New England, Route 66, The Lewis and Clark trail from beginning to end, etc. 

But I'm backing out now.  How do you do that?  I guess I would miss our church, our friends, etc.  I cannot imagine being without those anchors???  Those are the people that support me and hold me up.  I have activities and people that know me and need me.  I'm going to trade that to just be wandering around....   I can imagine doing that for a month maybe.  But I can't imagine being rootless if that makes sense.  I mean if we spend 10 years wandering around and then we have a crisis, then who brings the meals?  Who comforts us?  Who helps us take trips to the hospital or whatever.  Does that make sense?

Maybe you could become a snowbird and go for only part of the year, returning to your home base every few months.  A lot of people do that.  But for people on the road fulltime, there is community.  Check out the Escapees Club, for example.