Menu

Family experience with mental illness poll

Rosie_0801

351 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have family experience with mental illness?

• Yes indeed.
    • Not directly, thankfully, but I've heard stuff on the grapevine...
    • Gratefully inexperienced on this topic, and wish the rest of you were too.

Is the poll for immediate family within your own household? MY BIL committed suicide following 10 years of dealing with anxiety, depression, and OCD. My sister just lost their only child who was a special needs adult. 

Edited by mom31257

Is the poll for immediate family within your own household? MY BIL committed suicide following 10 years of dealing with anxiety, depression, and OCD. My sister just lost their only child who was a special needs adult. 

The poll doesn't specify because it didn't want to.

The poll doesn't specify because it didn't want to.

Oh, I said no because I don't know of any on my side.  But if we're including my dh's side ... are criminals considered mentally ill?  Because his side is overrun with them.  

To rephrase:

1. Yeah, I've dealt with the fall out. (Of either my own illness or someone else's.)

2. No, but those who deal first hand cry on my shoulder so this is not merely academic for me.

3. No, but I've read enough forum posts to know that a green smoothie won't cure everything.

I'm not ashamed to say that I have had depression in the past and deal with current anxiety and PTSD. I work my butt off to manage and recover from these (therapy (EMDR), meds occasionally, regular exercise, eating right, light therapy, good friends, healthy boundaries from people who think I should pray away my challenges).

I was raised by someone with bipolar and a personality disorder and another someone with at times very severe depression. My DH has his own mental health challenges at times. One of my children also lives with multiple mental health challenges.

We treat mental illness like physical illness in our family.

• Like 5

I've read a study recently stating that most people have at least one bout of mental illness - generally anxiety, depression, or substance abuse - in their lifetime.  So I think most people probably have some experience with mental illness, though they may not have experience with longer lasting illness.

• Like 3

Yes.

I don't talk about it much except to trusted members of my support system, because it is not my issue to reveal and my family member feels deeply ashamed (and possibly does not accept it). But I need some support around how it's impacted me. (I also see a therapist for this reason.)

My dd has anxiety and depression in addition to her autism diagnosis, but is quite open about her issues, and is an advocate for openness and destigmatizing mental health disorders.

• Like 3

I've read a study recently stating that most people have at least one bout of mental illness - generally anxiety, depression, or substance abuse - in their lifetime.  So I think most people probably have some experience with mental illness, though they may not have experience with longer lasting illness.

Then there are the mental health problems created by other people treating you badly.

My probable PTSD cost about 8 grand!

I'm fortunate not to have had experience with mental illness in my household, but we have a strong family history of mental illness (suicide and and alcoholism on my father's side, suicide and schizophrenia on my husband's mother's side.)

With a strong family history, please watch your children as they go through their teen years (when many mental illnesses begin to rear their ugly heads).

I have bipolar, anxiety, depression, and PTSD in my family history.

I really think most families have some level of mental illness somewhere.  It's probably an anomaly not to have.

• Like 3

I had postpartum depression for several weeks, and prenatal (is that what they call it during pregnancy?) depression for a few months.  

However, I understand wanting to post anonymously about someone else's mental illness and the difficulties that arise from it.  If I had a family member with a mental illness I'd never post about it on the internet, certainly not in a place that is searchable and where I (and therefore they) am identifiable.  

Also, I agree that chronic mental health issues - bipolar disorder being one - are very different in terms of both treatment and perception than time-limited episodes, especially of what are generally more socially acceptable (if that makes sense) mental illnesses, like PPD.

Mood disorders, even here on these forums, are often very frowned upon, even while there is more social acceptance of things like depression (largely, I assume, because so many people these days are being treated for depression and anxiety and etc.)

I had postpartum depression for several weeks, and prenatal (is that what they call it during pregnancy?) depression for a few months.  

However, I understand wanting to post anonymously about someone else's mental illness and the difficulties that arise from it.  If I had a family member with a mental illness I'd never post about it on the internet, certainly not in a place that is searchable and where I (and therefore they) am identifiable.  

Also, I agree that chronic mental health issues - bipolar disorder being one - are very different in terms of both treatment and perception than time-limited episodes, especially of what are generally more socially acceptable (if that makes sense) mental illnesses, like PPD.

Mood disorders, even here on these forums, are often very frowned upon, even while there is more social acceptance of things like depression (largely, I assume, because so many people these days are being treated for depression and anxiety and etc.)

I don't see mood disorders being frowned upon anywhere but in religious circles.  Here on the boards I have only seen a non-acceptance of the lack of treatment for mental illnesses.  If it is making you or your loved ones dysfunctional it should be treated.

• Like 1

Yep.  I have struggled most of my adult life with depression.  My oldest dealt with it in his early teens and then his last year of college.  But K's issues of really knocked the wind out of us.  Although things are stable right now, the turmoil has taken a toll on my mental and physical health. 

:grouphug:

I don't see mood disorders being frowned upon anywhere but in religious circles.  Here on the boards I have only seen a non-acceptance of the lack of treatment for mental illnesses.  If it is making you or your loved ones dysfunctional it should be treated.

It's one of those topics, like religion, where board culture has changed over the years.

oops, I think I should have said personality disorders.

At any rate, there are definitely kinds of mental illness that are more socially acceptable than others.  
The kind where the person with the disorder is the most miserable (as opposed to the person with the disorder making other people more miserable than they themselves are) tend to be more accepted, ime.

• Like 8

I've read a study recently stating that most people have at least one bout of mental illness - generally anxiety, depression, or substance abuse - in their lifetime. So I think most people probably have some experience with mental illness, though they may not have experience with longer lasting illness.

This is interesting. I kind of had a feeling this was the case, so even though I know that both I and family members have dealt with anxiety or depression, it was short term and externally induced, so I didn't categorize it as "mental illness" in the poll. Same way I don't categorize a severe bout with the flu as "chronic illness." Mostly because it minimizes the challenges of those who face the issues long term.

But yeah, I've dealt with anxiety. Mercifully, not long term.

This is interesting. I kind of had a feeling this was the case, so even though I know that both I and family members have dealt with anxiety or depression, it was short term and externally induced, so I didn't categorize it as "mental illness" in the poll. Same way I don't categorize a severe bout with the flu as "chronic illness." Mostly because it minimizes the challenges of those who face the issues long term.

But yeah, I've dealt with anxiety. Mercifully, not long term.

Yeah, I don't categorize ADHD as "illness", or occasional anxiety. I realize there is a medical code for the purpose of insurance paperwork but disorder, illness and life circumstances rate differently. A friend of mine is rather anxious right now because we are still not out of the woods with potential flooding. She is not mentally ill. I have experience dealing with mentally ill people as I have worked at in-patient facilities.

• Like 1

Yes. Mom went into a depression when I was 10, she just stayed in bed and I ended up running the household. She got better but it was a very tough time.

Both my kids have anxiety issues, depression and panic disorders and are on meds for them.  And I recently got help for me for depression and anxiety.

• Like 2

Yup. I have severe OCD, dh is bipolar, my mom has GAD, and my dad has... something. Probably a personality disorder, but he's never been diagnosed or treated. Dd has had some minor intermittent anxiety, but nothing else so far. Fingers crossed she'll buck the trend and be a little more sane than the rest of us. ;)

• Like 1

I really hate seeing the person I love having to deal with it. This person really thought they could deal with whatever bi polar was. They read a lot and thought they knew what they were getting into. Its really sad to me. My first thought why put up with being the "punching bag" during manic times but they stay and get through it. Even when really crappy things happen. If you have never dealt with it you have no clue. I am there for my loved one to listen and support.

Edited by lynn

My family is riddled with depression. Mostly mild. Most people cope without medication or counseling, which they'd probably be better off getting. I'm the first person seeking help for a teen and having her on anti-depressants. One of my brothers was kind of judgey but back peddled quickly when I assured him they were very much needed. This same brother is the saddest when I put my kids in public school. He's a fan of leaving people to be their weird wild crazy selves, even if those selves are kind of dysfunctional. He's kind of dysfunctional himself. :) But mostly my family and my husband's family are supportive. My mother thinks I cut Oldest too much slack I think. But she keeps that to herself. I can just tell. ;) My mother has a lot of symptoms of BPD and if any of us were moody when we were kids, she'd take it super personally. All of our moods were about her and something we were doing TO HER. This is a negative thought pattern I brought into my own parenting that I had to unlearn. When my daughter is angry, sad, depressed, I aim for supportive and concerned but I don't get emotional about it. Her emotions are about her. This is probably the biggest secret I have for living with a depressed person. This was very difficult for a conflict hating, empathetic, emotional INFP to learn.

But, is a neurological disorder that has to do with the wiring in the brain NOT a.....mental.....illness? 

I am not asking to be snarky, I am asking more to point out the broadness of the definition.  Autism is a spectrum.  Some people are worse than the Rainman stereotype.  Some people just barely meet the definition.  Do people on the "rainman" side of the spectrum......or worse....not have a mental illness just because the people on the very mild side of the spectrum can learn to be a functioning member of society? 

Autism is a developmental disorder, not a mental illness.

People aren't generally born mentally ill, and even if they are, mental illness (with the exception of a handful of diagnoses given to children partly to avoid the stigma of adult versions of the illness, and partly because the childhood illness doesn't always persist into adulthood) also has adult onset. There is no such thing as adult onset autism.

• Like 4

But, is a neurological disorder that has to do with the wiring in the brain NOT a.....mental.....illness? 

I am not asking to be snarky, I am asking more to point out the broadness of the definition.  Autism is a spectrum.  Some people are worse than the Rainman stereotype.  Some people just barely meet the definition.  Do people on the "rainman" side of the spectrum......or worse....not have a mental illness just because the people on the very mild side of the spectrum can learn to be a functioning member of society? 

As others have said, autism is generally defined and classified as a neurodevelopmental disorder, not a mental illness.

I think the key word in your sentence is probably "wiring." An analogy would (perhaps) be to a bran tumor. That's an issue with the brain but it's certainly not classified as a mental illness. 

Of course several mental health issues are common in those on the spectrum, particularly anxiety and depression. So that can definitely add a layer of confusion.

• Like 3

Classifying things is tricky.

In my mind, there is a very broad category of disorders, illnesses, and injuries that impact the functioning of the brain--and things like autism, traumatic brain injury, and schizophrenia all belong to that category.

How exactly the brain is impacted depends on the specific underlying issue, but the unifying factor is that our body's central control and decision making organ is affected and its normal function impaired in some way.

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

As others have said, autism is generally defined and classified as a neurodevelopmental disorder, not a mental illness.

I think the key word in your sentence is probably "wiring." An analogy would (perhaps) be to a bran tumor. That's an issue with the brain but it's certainly not classified as a mental illness. 

Of course several mental health issues are common in those on the spectrum, particularly anxiety and depression. So that can definitely add a layer of confusion.

How do we know it's not a wiring issue though?  It's a physical/chemical issue.  Not something nebulous (like being possessed by a demon).

I do know what you mean, but I don't understand the insistence that this is radically different.  I think the insistence mostly stems from the stigma.  Nobody wants to be associated with "those things" (mental illnesses). 

Which I get!  But at the end of the day it's chemistry.  Right?

• Like 4

How do we know it's not a wiring issue though?  It's a physical/chemical issue.  Not something nebulous (like being possessed by a demon).

I do know what you mean, but I don't understand the insistence that this is radically different.  I think the insistence mostly stems from the stigma.  Nobody wants to be associated with "those things" (mental illnesses). 

Which I get!  But at the end of the day it's chemistry.  Right?

I don't really understand what you're getting at?

I personally don't believe there's any stigma (or at least there shouldn't be) to mental illness.

I have anxiety. That's a mental health issue.

DS18 is ASD-1. That's a neurodevelopmental disorder. He also has co-occurring anxiety. That's a mental health issue.

I don't mind one bit calling things what they are. But it does matter. Should we randomly classify diabetes as a cardiac issue just because heart issues often occur along with it, or patients with diabetes eventually develop heart problems? Even though it's really an endocrine disorder? Why would we call a condition something it's not? And professionals have made the distinction between autism and mental illness. We're not pulling this stuff out of our own hats.

• Like 3

How do we know it's not a wiring issue though? It's a physical/chemical issue. Not something nebulous (like being possessed by a demon).

I do know what you mean, but I don't understand the insistence that this is radically different. I think the insistence mostly stems from the stigma. Nobody wants to be associated with "those things" (mental illnesses).

Which I get! But at the end of the day it's chemistry. Right?

This is a question which has puzzled me. I do not have sufficient understanding of neurology to know if, for example, "wiring" (autism, learning differences, etc.) is really physically different in the brain from "chemistry" (mental illnesses).

Presumably neural connections are what we mean by wiring, but how much do we know about how chemistry affects wiring? All I know is that others know far more than I do but I suspect that collectively we still know very little.

My own dd showed signs of something amiss very early. Her primary issue has always been emotional regulation. How does one distinguish between "autism behavior" and "mood disorder behavior" in a single child with both diagnoses? It's easy to say sensory stuff is autism, but mood stuff is not so easily pigeonholed.

I think discomfort with mental illness has a role in our terminology. Ravin's point about developmental disabilities is valid, but in our case at least the emotional element was present from, certainly, two years old. Babies are inherently emotionally unstable and extreme, so I'm honestly not sure how an earlier issue could be identified, even if it is already present in some form.

I would agree there is no adult onset autism.

Editing to add that I think some of the confusion stems from the lack of any physical test to diagnose these conditions. Genetic testing may help, but is not there yet. Conditions overlap; diagnosis is not foolproof. So was there a period in her life when my dd could have been diagnosed with a future Star Trek tricorder as having autism but not yet a mood disorder? Or would it tell us now that really it's all autism? If we had perfect diagnosis, maybe things would look different.

Edited by Innisfree
  • Like 4

This is a question which has puzzled me. I do not have sufficient understanding of neurology to know if, for example, "wiring" (autism, learning differences, etc.) is really physically different in the brain from "chemistry" (mental illnesses).

Presumably neural connections are what we mean by wiring, but how much do we know about how chemistry affects wiring? All I know is that others know far more than I do but I suspect that collectively we still know very little.

My own dd showed signs of something amiss very early. Her primary issue has always been emotional regulation. How does one distinguish between "autism behavior" and "mood disorder behavior" in a single child with both diagnoses? It's easy to say sensory stuff is autism, but mood stuff is not so easily pigeonholed.

I think discomfort with mental illness has a role in our terminology. Ravin's point about developmental disabilities is valid, but in our case at least the emotional element was present from, certainly, two years old. Babies are inherently emotionally unstable and extreme, so I'm honestly not sure how an earlier issue could be identified, even if it is already present in some form.

I would agree there is no adult onset autism.

Editing to add that I think some of the confusion stems from the lack of any physical test to diagnose these conditions. Genetic testing may help, but is not there yet. Conditions overlap; diagnosis is not foolproof. So was there a period in her life when my dd could have been diagnosed with a future Star Trek tricorder as having autism but not yet a mood disorder? Or would it tell us now that really it's all autism? If we had perfect diagnosis, maybe things would look different.

wiring - can be rewired. among his issues, my son has capd where the corpus callosum is lagging in development.  (causes a number of issues.) technically - that is structure, but that can (hopefully) be 'outgrown'.  we are doing things to (hopefully) help speed up that process.

his anxiety is chemical. and he is treated for it chemically.

that doesn't always work - my friend's son also has severe anxiety, but even with rx, he's not able to function independently or attend college.

another friend's dd was structure - she had a brain tumor.  remove that, she was fine.  before - utter chaos.

2dd's bff is a clinical psych working strictly with tbis. again - that is structure.

some things can be positively identified.  chemistry can be identified more often than you may realize - but it is still limited.

for some of  these things - there is tremendous overlap.  it's figuring out which course of treatment will work best for which patient.  but that is also the case with more straightforward medical issues like cancer or thyroid.  my dd was doing research on chemically tailoring rx for a particular patient's chemistry.

eta: it was apparent my son had issues from the neonatal period.  the perinatologist was expressing concern about his lack of reactions.  I had to do things with him I didn't with any of my other kids (even the high strung one), both to get him to eat - and to calm down.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

wiring - can be rewired. among his issues, my son has capd where the corpus callosum is lagging in development. (causes a number of issues.) technically - that is structure, but that can (hopefully) be 'outgrown'. we are doing things to (hopefully) help speed up that process.

his anxiety is chemical. and he is treated for it chemically.

that doesn't always work - my friend's son also has severe anxiety, but even with rx, he's not able to function independently or attend college.

another friend's dd was structure - she had a brain tumor. remove that, she was fine. before - utter chaos.

2dd's bff is a clinical psych working strictly with tbis. again - that is structure.

some things can be positively identified. chemistry can be identified more often than you may realize - but it is still limited.

for some of these things - there is tremendous overlap. it's figuring out which course of treatment will work best for which patient. but that is also the case with more straightforward medical issues like cancer or thyroid. my dd was doing research on chemically tailoring rx for a particular patient's chemistry.

eta: it was apparent my son had issues from the neonatal period. the perinatologist was expressing concern about his lack of reactions. I had to do things with him I didn't with any of my other kids (even the high strung one), both to get him to eat - and to calm down.

Thanks, this is all interesting.

I probably didn't express myself very well on chemistry vs. wiring. I agree they're both important, and some things (tumors) are clearly structural. But I wonder how much the chemistry affects the structure; to some degree, it must. And when we talk about strengthening neural pathways, that is structural. But the brain is soused in chemicals. A psychiatrist once told me behavior and emotion were "all biochemical." It's these intersections and boundaries between structure and chemistry that intrigue me.

And that's all a bit of a sidetrack from this discussion, and more than enough to occupy my retirement years trying to gain a better understanding, lol.

• Like 2

Thanks, this is all interesting.

I probably didn't express myself very well on chemistry vs. wiring. I agree they're both important, and some things (tumors) are clearly structural. But I wonder how much the chemistry affects the structure; to some degree, it must. And when we talk about strengthening neural pathways, that is structural. But the brain is soused in chemicals. A psychiatrist once told me behavior and emotion were "all biochemical." It's these intersections and boundaries between structure and chemistry that intrigue me.

And that's all a bit of a sidetrack from this discussion, and more than enough to occupy my retirement years trying to gain a better understanding, lol.

Absolutely chemistry and structure are intertwined. Chemistry can change structure. And structure affects chemistry. It is definitely not all one or the other.

Brains are extremely complex and everything is intertwined.

• Like 3

As I mentioned before, I *WISH* that autism was just a biochemical imbalance in the brain where there was an issue with serotonin or dopamine or GABA or whatever neurotransmitters. Because then a medication could be developed to treat it. It might still be chronic, but unlike depression, anxiety, bipolar, schizophrenia, and other mental illnesses, there is no scientific evidence to support the problem being a biochemical imbalance as opposed to the "hard-wiring" of the brain.

My first undergraduate degree was in biological psychology so I took a whole bunch of neuroscience classes. It's a very interesting field.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't categorize ADHD as "illness", or occasional anxiety. I realize there is a medical code for the purpose of insurance paperwork but disorder, illness and life circumstances rate differently. A friend of mine is rather anxious right now because we are still not out of the woods with potential flooding. She is not mentally ill. I have experience dealing with mentally ill people as I have worked at in-patient facilities.

I don't think all people that have mental illness would fit the mold of someone staying in a facility*. So I don't know if that is a good way to illustrate. Like if I had hidden things about myself people wouldn't necessarily know about my OCD or anxiety or depression. To some degree many people can hide these things, at least from people they aren't living with.

*to be honest, I don't know what that mold is. I guess I'm thinking about TV shows which is probably not accurate

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 3

Well the evidence is not all there that it all is chemical anyway.  I know that some of my own mental problems are caused by my immune system being wonky.  And this is not just my opinion- it is well documented that in Lupus, the brain can come under attack.  The one time I had a depressive episode was a time all my autoimmune diseases were out of control.  And unlike in some other forms of depression, mine went away with steroids. I have had life long Generalized Anxiety Disorder and don't think that is related to my autoimmune diseases. But there also is research out there that shows depression lessening with certain probiotics so the thinking is that the gut has a lot more to do with our mental health state than previously thought.  By the way, anti-depressants are not all that effective.  If it was simple chemistry, all the antidepressants that work on serotonin or dopamine or both would probably be mostly interchangeable.  But they aren't and many people go through medication and medication trying to get one that works.  In about 25% of the cases of depression, none of the current medications on the market help,  For those people, it seems that ketamine helps but its use has been limited to research projects.  It shouldn't be because major depression has a pretty high rate of fatality and the people who the current medications don't work are probably much more likely to commit suicide because they already know there is no hope for them in terms of treatment.  

Both major depression and lesser forms are treated.  But major depression is the kind where the people don't get up and also one where delusions usually come in - not paranoid ones but delusional beliefs that no one cares while people are caring for them and just irrationally pessimistic.

• Like 5

I don't really understand what you're getting at?

I personally don't believe there's any stigma (or at least there shouldn't be) to mental illness.

I have anxiety. That's a mental health issue.

DS18 is ASD-1. That's a neurodevelopmental disorder. He also has co-occurring anxiety. That's a mental health issue.

I don't mind one bit calling things what they are. But it does matter. Should we randomly classify diabetes as a cardiac issue just because heart issues often occur along with it, or patients with diabetes eventually develop heart problems? Even though it's really an endocrine disorder? Why would we call a condition something it's not? And professionals have made the distinction between autism and mental illness. We're not pulling this stuff out of our own hats.

Ok makes total sense. 

My mind had gone off in a different direction, but yes I agree with you. 

Well the evidence is not all there that it all is chemical anyway.  I know that some of my own mental problems are caused by my immune system being wonky.  And this is not just my opinion- it is well documented that in Lupus, the brain can come under attack.  The one time I had a depressive episode was a time all my autoimmune diseases were out of control.  And unlike in some other forms of depression, mine went away with steroids. I have had life long Generalized Anxiety Disorder and don't think that is related to my autoimmune diseases. But there also is research out there that shows depression lessening with certain probiotics so the thinking is that the gut has a lot more to do with our mental health state than previously thought.  By the way, anti-depressants are not all that effective.  If it was simple chemistry, all the antidepressants that work on serotonin or dopamine or both would probably be mostly interchangeable.  But they aren't and many people go through medication and medication trying to get one that works.  In about 25% of the cases of depression, none of the current medications on the market help,  For those people, it seems that ketamine helps but its use has been limited to research projects.  It shouldn't be because major depression has a pretty high rate of fatality and the people who the current medications don't work are probably much more likely to commit suicide because they already know there is no hope for them in terms of treatment.  

Both major depression and lesser forms are treated.  But major depression is the kind where the people don't get up and also one where delusions usually come in - not paranoid ones but delusional beliefs that no one cares while people are caring for them and just irrationally pessimistic.

I think there is still a lot we don't know. 

Looking back at treatments available to my parents many many years ago verses now, there are some improvements, but nothing magical.

• Like 5

Here's one report discussing structural changes in brain anatomy in people suffering from mental illness:

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2015/02/different-mental-disorders-cause-same-brain-matter-loss.html

Yeah my confusion with talking about this stuff is people are often very quick to point out something is not a mental illness.  They'll say it's a neuro something or other.  Or, I dunno, something else that sounds a lot to me like something you find in the brain.  Or it's just not entirely known.  So then what exactly IS a mental illness?  Is it not in the brain?  Which is related to neurology?  This is where I was going with my questioning about how there isn't at least some similarities.  And if it is something else, are people only defining it as different because of how it is treated?  It's mostly treated with medication and a lot of the medications barely work.  When I mean barely, I'm saying they do something, but in many instances it's not even entirely known why they work.  OR...big or...they mostly dull the symptoms.  They tranquilize.  That's all the drugs have done for my family members.  The drugs make them more tolerable to other people when we get right down to it.  Do they feel better and function better?  Not really.  They function better in the sense they behave in a way that is more acceptable to other people.  It's often still a significant struggle even with drugs. 

I'm rambling for sure, but just what exactly do people think mental illness is?  Demonic possession (going back to my example)?  No...no I assume it's neurological, brain, chemical...physical...YES as physical as MS or cancer or whatever.  Just because we don't know where it is or what it is caused by does not mean it is not just as physical as those diseases. 

• Like 6

As a society we are still a long way from really accepting mental illnesses as true physiological disorders.

And there is still a lot of unfortunate stigma associated with it.

I don't personally think it should be a separate category at all. The only categorization things like depression and OCD and schizophrenia need is "disorders that impact the brain" and yeah, neurological seems to fit...

Edited by maize
  • Like 8

Yeah my confusion with talking about this stuff is people are often very quick to point out something is not a mental illness.  They'll say it's a neuro something or other.  Or, I dunno, something else that sounds a lot to me like something you find in the brain.  Or it's just not entirely known.  So then what exactly IS a mental illness?  Is it not in the brain?  Which is related to neurology?  This is where I was going with my questioning about how there isn't at least some similarities.  And if it is something else, are people only defining it as different because of how it is treated?  It's mostly treated with medication and a lot of the medications barely work.  When I mean barely, I'm saying they do something, but in many instances it's not even entirely known why they work.  OR...big or...they mostly dull the symptoms.  They tranquilize.  That's all the drugs have done for my family members.  The drugs make them more tolerable to other people when we get right down to it.  Do they feel better and function better?  Not really.  They function better in the sense they behave in a way that is more acceptable to other people.  It's often still a significant struggle even with drugs. 

I'm rambling for sure, but just what exactly do people think mental illness is?  Demonic possession (going back to my example)?  No...no I assume it's neurological, brain, chemical...physical...YES as physical as MS or cancer or whatever.  Just because we don't know where it is or what it is caused by does not mean it is not just as physical as those diseases. 

Okay, I think maybe I see where you're going with this. Essentially you're saying the brain is an organ just like the heart or kidneys or liver. So why differentiate mental illness from what we would typically consider physical illnesses like heart, kidney or liver issues. Is that it?

FWIW -- Anxiety medication did much more for me than tranquilize. In fact it didn't do that at all. It gave my mind the ability to be calm when there was no need for it not to be. I was still very easily able to be not calm when that was required. I guess to my way of thinking it's sort of like a beta blocker is used to slow the hear rate while a person is at rest, but a person taking a beta blocker still gets an increased heart rate when they exercise.

• Like 5

Okay, I think maybe I see where you're going with this. Essentially you're saying the brain is an organ just like the heart or kidneys or liver. So why differentiate mental illness from what we would typically consider physical illnesses like heart, kidney or liver issues. Is that it?

FWIW -- Anxiety medication did much more for me than tranquilize. In fact it didn't do that at all. It gave my mind the ability to be calm when there was no need for it not to be. I was still very easily able to be not calm when that was required. I guess to my way of thinking it's sort of like a beta blocker is used to slow the hear rate while a person is at rest, but a person taking a beta blocker still gets an increased heart rate when they exercise.

Yes, basically that is it. 

I'm glad they work for you.  Unfortunately, they don't do much for my family members.  They also all abuse them to the point doctors won't prescribe them anymore.  They've also tried to self medicate with alcohol.  Which doesn't work either.  But their situation is probably just more complicated.  People often talk about the drugs and the treatments (with some severe mental illnesses) and wonder why don't these people just take the medications.  Because they are terrible and don't work like people imagine them to.  I mean sure they went from drilling holes into people's heads to now drugging them.  So that IS an improvement for sure.  But there is still a long way to go I think. 

• Like 2