Menu

Do human skeletons freak you out?

bibiche

Asking because DS is taking a class in which every time a photo of human remains is about to be shown the teacher gives a trigger warning so students can either leave or avert their eyes.   DS thinks human remains are fascinating and doesn't get the aversion.  I told him I would ask here if looking at skeletons freaks people out.  Does it?

(and did you know there is actually a place called Skulls Unlimited International? And that their site actually has an ad saying "Have a skull to sell? We're buying!"  :001_huh: Apparently skeletons are big business. Also crazy expensive.)

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 1

No, but we have a rather large collection of animal skeletons and various body part models (and a few actual animal skeleton parts) in the living room. I have trouble with animal dissections far more than human cadaver dissections, unless the animal is being dissected as part of a necropsy.

• Like 1

No. Seeing as relatively realistic drawings of skeletons are on display absolutely everywhere all the time around Halloween, I have to say that it surprises me that needs a trigger warning. Bones are something that as a society we seem to be relatively comfortable with, even if we're sometimes pretty averse to gore or wounds or get squemish about dissections.

• Like 2

Skeletons don't bother me. But we just had a death in the family and I weirded myself out tonight at yoga during final resting pose. I almost had to get up and leave the class because I thought I was going to have a major freak out/meltdown. So I can see why a trigger warning might be appropriate.

• Like 1

No, skeletons don't bother me. 

When I read "human remains" I don't automatically think of skeleton though.  So I might think I'm going to see a dead body, not just the bones.

There is a house in a nearby neighborhood that has a skeleton hanging out front, next to the door.  Dressed in different clothing, depending on the season or holiday.  If skeletons creeped me out, I'd have to change my route to go quite a few places.  

(I do think it's kinda tacky, but not creepy.)

• Like 1

That surprises me. How old are the students? With older kids I would think that "in this next slide we'll see XYZ" would suffice. Unless, are these images like mass graves or victims of war etc? If that's the case the warning isn't really about bones but the brutality, kwim?

I am very affected by images of brutality.

I find animals bones really interesting.

I like the skull motif in design.

What makes me squeamish is when actual human skulls (and bones) are treated as just an object or treated disrespectfully.

• Like 1

When you say "human remains" I envision decomposition, which I could see needing a warning. I also wouldn't mind a warning before some really severe rashes or boils.. Dermatology is not a subject to study near meal time :) But no. Skeletons and relatively ordinary anatomical photos, cross sections of tissues etc. I'd consider that ordinary.

• Like 3

I also think there's a big difference between a cross section of a human corpse and a clean skeleton...

Speaking of not finding skeletons too weird. Anyone else been to the Sedlec Ossuary in Kutna Hora in the Czech Republic? Because... human bones as art.

• Like 2

No...unless I came across one in a shallow grave 😱

However people really cant control what triggers them so I think its great they get a warning.

I cant handle blood..not even the thought... a trigger warning would be appreciated but even the warning could cause me to faint so maybe not that useful in my case.

• Like 2

Yes, definitely.   Although, in a class I would suck it up and be annoyed by the trigger warning thing.  I think the trigger alerts are infantalizing.  

I was once the VA person years ago for a plastic surgeon talking about a better version of a face lift.   There was just color pencil sketches.  I had to kind of pay attention to click the pages when needed.   I got the pre-faint rushing in my head from the pencil sketches.  So, yeah real skeletons creep me out.  

• Like 1

I also think there's a big difference between a cross section of a human corpse and a clean skeleton...

Speaking of not finding skeletons too weird. Anyone else been to the Sedlec Ossuary in Kutna Hora in the Czech Republic? Because... human bones as art.

Very cool! I haven't been there, but I visited a similar place in Portugal once.  Adding this one to my list of places to go. Thanks!

• Like 1

That surprises me. How old are the students? With older kids I would think that "in this next slide we'll see XYZ" would suffice. Unless, are these images like mass graves or victims of war etc? If that's the case the warning isn't really about bones but the brutality, kwim?

Most of the students are young adults. I did find the trigger warnings surprising. But I guess it is better to err on the side of caution, in case someone is especially susceptible.

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 1

I've been to catacombs in Palermo, Sicily. Hundreds of skeletons are laid out on limestone shelves. Bones are lovingly cleaned by family members in an annual ceremony, some skeletons are even decked out in clothes. We saw one in a tux and top hat. Edited by Onceuponatime
  • Like 2

What makes me squeamish is when actual human skulls (and bones) are treated as just an object or treated disrespectfully.

Ah, this is interesting... So would Farrar's ossuary art freak you out since the bones become objects? What about a skeleton at a lab that is dressed up?  Would that upset you because you perceive it to be disrespectful?

I find burial practices and our attitudes toward death and remains so fascinating. 

• Like 1

I was gifted a skull to use in my science classes. I will admit that at first, even with a science background, I was a bit skeezed out at handling it. When I first brought it out in my elementary age class, some students were very uneasy about being around it. I treated it all matter-of-factly, offering anyone a chance to touch it if they wished, but not forcing or even strongly encouraging anyone. There are a few who also react that way to some of the images in the text, such as a computer generated image of a human brain.

So, yes, even with young adults, I would say there's a chance of an aversion, and that's reasonable.

Erica in OR

• Like 1

No, I think they're cool, I even wanted to go to the Body exhibit when it was in the town we lived in but it was too expensive.  If it weren't for the smell I could easily imagine doing things like taxidermy or autopsies but I'm crazy sensitive to odors and can tell when somethings going bad days before anyone else.

• Like 1

doesn't bother me.

but I also didn't have a problem using my probe in biology to stab whatever critter we were supposed to be dissecting and putting it upon some squeamish girls shoulder.

otoh:  the smell of formaldehyde (or initial incisions.)

• Like 1

Not particularly. But people can have all sorts of weird phobias or aversions.

That surprises me. How old are the students? With older kids I would think that "in this next slide we'll see XYZ" would suffice.

That's probably what it mostly boils down to.

• Like 1

I have no problems with bones per se but I always envision them as people who had a life, a personality, a place in society.  When I see bones being handled or being piled up en masse I think of the people they once were and the thing they have become.  I have a hard time with the step between person and thing.

• Like 1

They don't bother me but I have friends who are freaked out by anything to do with death. They also struggle with violence/horror of any type and anything vaguely connected to it.

Another aspect is that there are so many human remains that are seen by the public without permission from modern ancestors and were taken from their burial places so for some people viewing human remains could have other associations and a warning could be appropriate.

Edited by lailasmum
  • Like 1

Another aspect is that there are so many human remains that are seen by the public without permission from modern ancestors and were taken from their burial places so for some people viewing human remains could have other associations and a warning could be appropriate.

I Imagine it might be more for this reason. The first time was when they were studying Kennewick Man. It is entirely possible that the other photos were also of NA remains. We have told DS that the trigger warnings might be being given for reasons of cultural sensitivity. And to be clear, he isn't being dismissive of the people who might need the warnings (we do try to inculcate a sense of empathy), he's just a little nonplussed.

• Like 1

I don't recall ever having trigger warnings while studying. My school had a proportionally high number of Native students, and we did discuss ramifications of studying human remains - but our discussions often revolved around legislative actions being taken to prevent disturbing remains or to return them to tribes. This extended to burial pieces as well.

But that was in the 90s. Ancient history. :)

FWIW, taking forensics icked me out. The other stuff - not at all.

• Like 1

No, but I actually applied to a job as a Coroner's investigator and the only part of the job I was hesitant about was taking helicopter rides. I had never been on a helicopter and wasn't sure how I would find it.  I am okay with planes but I also have never been in a small plane.  None of my kids have issues with skeletons but I don't know if my two dds would have issues with decomposing bodies--- I would have problems with the smell but I think you put on strong-smelling ointment under your nose.

• Like 2

human skeletons real vs fake makes a difference. I mean, a few on the lawn for Halloween is different than say, crime scene photos to me. But I don't think I'd need to leave the room.

Now I feel stupid for admitting this, what are most skeletons on display made of? The ones in classrooms. I remember drawing those in art. They are probably some sort of cast?

• Like 1

No, but used to work in a trauma center. I still remember that time when a bad motocycle accident got brought in and all the medical students came to the room for an anatomy lesson. Now, that was a little strange, but I respected their curiosity and desire to learn.

I do respect that other people have issues with dead bodies, skeletons, etc... I'm the same way with bleu cheese dressing; it makes me retch just thinking about it... :ack2:

Edited by trulycrabby
  • Like 1

What kind of class is it that they show human remains but also allow students to opt out of viewing the remains?

Well, it is essentially a history class, so it is not as if the students signed up for osteology.  The human remains aren't the main event, and they can still learn the subject matter without looking at the remains (and in fact, they are only viewing photos, no actual remains).

What is so funny is I would love to see this. Reading this alone just gives me that little....ick...feeling in the back of my throad. But if I can ever get DH to Paris, I totally want to go see these.

It is totally bizarre, in that it's an inconspicuous, nondescript little entryway and dark steps in a residential neighborhood. And then miles and miles of bones and skulls neatly stacked up. Oh look, another cemetery and another year and another pile. And this is just the part open to the public!
  • Like 1

A skeleton is, well, a skeleton.  But you said "human remains" so does that mean there is still flesh on the bones? Even clothing and other aspects of the person?  That might be different for some people and not that surprising to me even though it doesn't bug me that much.  (Unless it was a child, honestly.)  But if they are desiccated and very old, I'd say that most people could probably handle it.  There is no should in this scenario, though.

• Like 1