Menu

Well call me gobsmacked! WWYD? :(

plain jane

WWYD if over the Christmas holidays a close family member made it clear to you that they would like to start using marijuana?  They state that they don't see how it is supposed to be worse than drinking a glass of wine or beer, don't want to get high, but want to look into the healing it gives when taken in multiple manners.  They stated that pot "isn't bad for a person and that if I were only to look into it I would know that too."  . I sat and listened how apparently marijuana use has great benefits for ADD and anxiety sufferers and that there are cannabinoid receptors in the human brain. I've also been informed that it's engrained in all humans (not quite sure what was meant by this),  part of every culture for the thousands of years,  and that the Talmudic priests used it in there holy anointing oil. They are trying to open my eyes to the truth that cannabis use has remarkable benefits and that it has only been denied for the past 100 years.

Apparently I am ignorant for thinking this is an unwise idea. I don't like being called ignorant, so WTM Hive please enlighten me.  This isn't exactly a conversation I ever thought I would see myself having with this person and even typing it makes it more real, which I would rather not.  My first reaction is to walk away and watch the train wreck from a distance but it's not something I can do in this instance.  Help?  WWYD?  I'm defeated enough with a lot of other things going on in my life that this is really pushing me over the edge.  What does one even say to this?  How do I refute this or make any sort of point?

• Like 1

Is medical pot legal in your state? If not, I would point out the dangers of breaking the law.

If it is, I would make this an "agree to disagree" issue. I'm okay with using it for very serious medical conditions (cancer, seizure disorders, etc.) but not minor ones like ADHD or anxiety. However, in my state it's now legal for recreational purposes so I won't waste my breath arguing with folks over it.

• Like 2

WWYD if over the Christmas holidays a close family member made it clear to you that they would like to start using marijuana?  They state that they don't see how it is supposed to be worse than drinking a glass of wine or beer, don't want to get high, but want to look into the healing it gives when taken in multiple manners.  They stated that pot "isn't bad for a person and that if I were only to look into it I would know that too."  . I sat and listened how apparently marijuana use has great benefits for ADD and anxiety sufferers and that there are cannabinoid receptors in the human brain. I've also been informed that it's engrained in all humans (not quite sure what was meant by this),  part of every culture for the thousands of years,  and that the Talmudic priests used it in there holy anointing oil. They are trying to open my eyes to the truth that cannabis use has remarkable benefits and that it has only been denied for the past 100 years.

Apparently I am ignorant for thinking this is an unwise idea. I don't like being called ignorant, so WTM Hive please enlighten me.  This isn't exactly a conversation I ever thought I would see myself having with this person and even typing it makes it more real, which I would rather not.  My first reaction is to walk away and watch the train wreck from a distance but it's not something I can do in this instance.  Help?  WWYD?  I'm defeated enough with a lot of other things going on in my life that this is really pushing me over the edge.  What does one even say to this?  How do I refute this or make any sort of point?

Hard to refute as there is evidence that supports *some* of what they say.  If it is illegal in your location, then that would be the closing argument if it involves the substance coming into your house.

• Like 12

I'm all for medical marijuana being allowed, and wish my mother had access.

Since one of those great benefits of regular pot is to push people susceptible to schizophrenia over the line, I'm well against it. You don't know if you are susceptible until too late, and who, pray tell, Dear Family Member, is going to be dealing with your self inflicted psychosis if you're one of the unlucky? It's also a depressant, and usage would not be smart for someone already prone to depression. So no, asking me to give you my blessing for drug use won't help either of us.

my brother grew, and dealt. my sister used.  my bil used daily up until he was in his 40s. I saw up close and personal the long-term damage it does.  one of the latest studies I read was the damage to teenage brains is permanent.  it reduces blood flow to *every* area of the brain - and it does reduce judgement.  the stuff on the market today is even stronger.

you can buy over the counter preparations that are derived from it, but don't contain the THC so the person doesn't get high.  if the person refuses to even try them to see if they help the symptoms - you know what they want is to get high.

I'm in a state where it is now legal - I would NEVER allow any child under my roof to use without hearing a major lecture from me.  it should be noted the one child who had friends who used - dropped them when they started without ever saying anything to me.

• Like 13

I just took a university level course on drugs across cultures and... sorry, I agree with the relative. It HAS been used for most of human history in various cultures without serious addiction issues because of the way it was used, the social rules around it, the personal 'rituals' (being any sort of regulation, good or bad, such as only smoking on weekends, only smoking when children are sleeping, through to always smoking with alcohol and other harmful ones). It has only been seen as overwhelmingly bad over the past 100 years and its original banning was because the poor immigrant mexican workers used it, and they were violent, so it was seen as a violent drug (as you can tell, a completely different set of 'dangers' than the ones it's claimed to have today, the public view of the dangers of marijuana changed completely when it's major demographic of users changed from poor mexicans to drop out middle class youth. Perhaps marijuana was never a cause in the first place, just a coinciding action). And, yes, he's also right about it's safety. Medically, objectively, it's much safer than smoking and on a similar level of safety to alcohol, both of which are legal. Our ideas about safe and unsafe drugs are socially derived, not objectively and medically assessed, and many many scare campaigns have been run because this one happened to be labelled bad, not good, because of who originally used it. Of course it has dangers, just like alcohol. But it sounds like this relative is looking to do the equivalent of drink a glass or two of wine regularly, not the equivalent of binge drink every weekend. 

I can find some of my readings from my university course for you if you're genuinely interested, PM me. I'm not technically allowed to share them so I wont post anything here, but I'm happy to send a single copy to someone, it's all PDFs. 

• Like 13

Is it illegal in your state? That is really the only argument worth having with someone who is determined to smoke it in my opinion. But I am a fan of smoking it. In the past it helped me greatly with anxiety and there were never any I'll effects. But dh was/is opposed to it and it was a deal breaker for him so before we married I told him as long as we were together I would not smoke it. Now for him, if the law changed in our state he wouldn't have a problem as long as it didn't mess up our lives. Actually I was having trouble getting a Dr to help manage my anxiety about a year ago and he said I could start smoking again if I felt I needed it. I ended up not needing it but I may someday.

So I would suggest researching it a

• Like 2

Since one of those great benefits of regular pot is to push people susceptible to schizophrenia over the line, I'm well against it. You don't know if you are susceptible until too late, and who, pray tell, Dear Family Member, is going to be dealing with your self inflicted psychosis if you're one of the unlucky? It's also a depressant, and usage would not be smart for someone already prone to depression. So no, asking me to give you my blessing for drug use won't help either of us.

Rosie is totally right about the schizophrenia thing, there is a risk to marijuana just like there's a risk to everything else, that's one of the big and medically proven ones that should be considered for this particular drug.

As for the depression, alcohol is a depressant too, of a similar strength. So, on that argument you should to accept both or neither. 

• Like 4

I have an extremely vague understanding that there are some sort of medical-ish products involving an oil that do NOT have certain other parts of the drug, i.e. wouldn't be akin to smoking.  But, it doesn't sound like there's a specific medical thing going on with the family member in the OP.

It is very unlikely that your family member will be a "train wreck" because they decide to smoke marijuana once in a while. It's possible to overdo it (just like it's possible to overdo alcohol), but it's not exactly a hard drug. (It is, of course, possible that this family member's life is already a wreck, in which case the marijuana probably won't help - but you can't pin all the blame on that factor.)

There is some serious evidence that marijuana can benefit people with ADHD or anxiety, as well as with other conditions.

I would say that the decision to do marijuana, like the decision to drink alcohol or the decision to smoke tobacco, ultimately comes down to freedom of choice. And that's what I would've told that family member. What I would not do is argue with them. They don't need your approval, and you are under no obligation to give it to them. So there's no need to discuss the matter with them.

• Like 6

It's a medicinal herb. Like any other herb or medicine, it has positive and negative effects. It certainly has great effects for some people with crippling anxiety. I wouldn't rule out its use for that. 

Many people chose edibles or a topical oil instead of smoking. These are safer routes for bystanders as there is no second-hand effect. Indeed, no one would even have to know if someone was using it. 

I don't think there is any particular harm in using thc. I am at this moment enjoying a glass of Reisling. I would argue my wine could be more dangerous than a bit the the wacky weed. 

• Like 3

I see it as two separate issues.

Issue 1:  "Pot is almost as awesome as essential oils.  It is a wonder drug - research even shows that the dinosaurs knew of its miraculous properties and would throw it into volcanoes in order to inhale the smoke."

Maybe...kinda?  I take those claims with a grain of salt just like when an acquaintance told me that homeschooling cures autism.  No, I don't buy it hook, line and sinker, but I also don't see the point in trying to refute nebulous claims that probably contain kernels of validity.

Issue 2:  "Pot is fine.  No worse than alcohol."

I agree that is probably true in some circumstances.  I would be nervous if I knew my young adult child was getting high every night, but I wouldn't blink an eye if said child was a responsible 30 year old who decided to try legal marijuana.  

Of course there is some risk associated with it...but you will be hard pressed to find an activity that has no associated risk.  I choose not to live my life in a bubble, afraid to experience anything for fear that I might be the one who draws the short straw.

Wendy

• Like 1

The schizophrenia is a real possibility as it runs in that side of the family.  I brought this up as I was aware of this but family member says this is incorrect and brought up a bunch of websites which state otherwise.  I don't know enough.  But yes, the schizophrenia angle scares me for them.  And their children.

• Like 2

The schizophrenia is a real possibility as it runs in that side of the family. I brought this up as I was aware of this but family member says this is incorrect and brought up a bunch of websites which state otherwise. I don't know enough. But yes, the schizophrenia angle scares me for them. And their children.

That's a concern, then - but if they came prepped with their own websites, their mind is made up. You are not going to be able to change it for them. This is difficult advice, but in situations like this I do think the best thing to do is accept that their choices are not your responsibility.

• Like 6

The schizophrenia is a real possibility as it runs in that side of the family.  I brought this up as I was aware of this but family member says this is incorrect and brought up a bunch of websites which state otherwise.  I don't know enough.  But yes, the schizophrenia angle scares me for them.  And their children.

That sucks, a lot. But it also indicates they've done their own research and wont be swayed by anything you present them. The schizophrenia link is one of the (very few) proven negatives for marijuana. But, having said that, it's not a guarantee everyone with the disposition will develop it, and iirc you're more likely to develop it in early adulthood, which is also when people are more likely to smoke marijuana for the first time. If he's in his 30s I would hesitantly say that he may be out of the 'danger zone', even with marijuana it's my understanding that developing it past the early/mid 20s is unusual. Either way, I don't think you have much hope of changing his mind on it. 

As for the oils, there is no proof that the negatives come from THC, which is what they take out and what gives the high. Taking the THC out makes conservatives who think altered states of conciousness are bad feel better about there being no high, but there's a LOT of compounds in it, and no proof that it isn't one of the others creating the issue. The oils haven't been around long enough to study. To be honest, for myself, I trust things in their natural state more than things altered and modified without understanding their chemistry fully. Some of the compounds effect other compounds and change them, a dose of THC does not produce the same effect as a dose of marijuana whole, the other compounds are not dormant, so changing the balance in them without knowing what it does and selling it without any long term testing as a 'safe' alternative is concerning to me. 

• Like 4

If it is, I would make this an "agree to disagree" issue. I'm okay with using it for very serious medical conditions (cancer, seizure disorders, etc.) but not minor ones like ADHD or anxiety.

Calling anxiety a minor issue is not really cool. Maybe "less serious" might be a better term. Realistically, I doubt that prescription benzodiazepines are better long term than prescription marijuana. Though I wouldn't want people smoking marijuana in my house. Smoking is gross. But there are plenty of ways one can consume marijuana that don't involve smoke.

• Like 15

If marijuana use is legal in the family member's state, it's their choice as an adult to make an informed decision about whether or not to use it. That would be none of my business beyond sharing politely, when asked or while discussing the issue, my opinions or concerns.

Not in my house. I'd likely also set a boundary about spending time together if under the influence, whatever boundary I thought suited the situation and relationship.

Treating me as ignorant for respectfully disagreeing or sharing concerns, or trying to "convert" or convince me, oh heck no. That's Very Bad Manners. I would set a clear boundary about that: Happy to discuss it with you, dear loved one, (unless, of course, you're not), but you must be as respectful of my opinion as you expect me to be respectful of yours.

• Like 4

@OP, if it helps any, I've known many people to enjoy marijuana recreationally and still lead very fulfilling lives, succeeding in their goals without sacrificing careers or relationships. I've never seen a train wreck from pot. I understand it doesn't make you comfortable, but I hope this helps alleviate some of your worry.

• Like 2

my brother grew, and dealt. my sister used.  my bil used daily up until he was in his 40s. I saw up close and personal the long-term damage it does.  one of the latest studies I read was the damage to teenage brains is permanent.  it reduces blood flow to *every* area of the brain - and it does reduce judgement.  the stuff on the market today is even stronger.

you can buy over the counter preparations that are derived from it, but don't contain the THC so the person doesn't get high.  if the person refuses to even try them to see if they help the symptoms - you know what they want is to get high.

I'm in a state where it is now legal - I would NEVER allow any child under my roof to use without hearing a major lecture from me.  it should be noted the one child who had friends who used - dropped them when they started without ever saying anything to me.

I am pretty much with you on this except for one thing. Fortunately, recent studies have shown that the effect on the brain is not always irreversible. This is the good news. There are plenty of other danger factors, however, as with just about anything, if an adult has made up his mind, there is little you can do other than have good boundaries.

ETA: To OP: Yes, the brain has indeed what we call cannabinoid receptors, however, the brain can duplicate just about any effect of outside drugs by itself. It certainly does not need the help of outside cannabis to match to those receptors.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

My thoughts on pot have changed over the years.

In general, I am still not a fan of recreational use. I have family members whose lives have been negatively affected by their recreational use. Medically there are documented benefits.

At this stage of my life it comes down to a question of if it is legal in your state and boundries for when you are together.

Edited by kewb
  • Like 1

I wouldn't care what they were planning to do provided they would not be driving my kids while stoned, smoking anything in my home or exposing me to legal risk by bringing it into my home if I lived in a state where is was illegal.

My BIL drinks a couple of cheap beers every night. So long as I don't have to drink it, it's none of my concern.

I've seen positive and negative things come from pot use but don't think any of those things is relevant to me since I don't use it or have any particular interest in starting.

If someone told me they were planning to start using pot I would react to it the same as if they told me they were selling essential oils or planning to remodel their closets. Polite interest and change the subject.

• Like 8

I have mixed thoughts, but mostly because I don't know enough about it.

Part of me thinks, well, I'll have a glass of wine with my dinner, so what's the difference?  But I still have too many associations with it of glassy-eyed classmates from high school, and kids who used it primarily to feel stoned.  

But, my views on it have definitely changed.  I do have a good friend (in a state where it's legal) who regularly ingests a small amount of it in part of a cookie each night before bedtime to help her sleep better and take away her anxiety.  Knowing her and how she uses it, I don't have a problem with it.

I hadn't heard about the schizophrenia link, and that's interesting and something to think about.

I have a dd who has had quite severe chronic pain going on 7 years now.  She's had to put a lot of things on hold, including college, and doctors have yet been unable to help her.  She moved to a state where medical marijuana is legal to see if that would help (with our consent), but it didn't help so she stopped using it.

Interesting tidbit on the topic:

http://qz.com/875017/a-new-cannabis-inhaler-lets-doctors-administer-medical-marijuana-remotely/

"Ă¢â‚¬Å“For doctors, the inhaler solves the problem of prescribing plants for smoking, and offers a solution for patients in that, for the first time, they will be able to receive a precise dose of medical cannabis,Ă¢â‚¬Â said Syqe Medical chairman Eytan Hyam."

• Like 1

With legalisation, we might see a change from using cannabis in a plant form?

To tablets, that contain either THC or Cannabidiol. 

Where THC is what causes the high. 

One major problem with the plant, is that the amount of THC varies greatly.  

So that people can't control their dosage, for regular recreational usage.

But most importantly, people are becoming able to purchase Cannabidiol in tablet from, with no THC. So that their is no 'High' effect with it.

For 'Medical Use', Cannabidiol can't patented by a drug company.

Perhaps I might try to explain its 'medical use'?

Which relates to how nerves work.

That basically involves a neuron sending a signal down the nerve.

But an important second part of this?  Is that a signal is sent back to the neuron, along another channel.

Which is essentially a 'signal recieved' message.

That an enzyme recieves, and makes a chemical that shuts off the signal from the neuron.

Where the important thing about nerves, is that they are 'loops', 

But what can occur, are problems with the signal being 'sent back, to shut it off'.

So that the signal keeps being sent. 

Depending on where this occurring in the nervous system and brain?

This can cause muscle spasms, seizures and anxiety.

Though what recieves the return signal, to turn off the signal?

Are Cannabinoid Receptors on the neuron.

So that what taking Cannabidiol from cannabis does?

Is to stop the neuron, from wrongly sending the signal again.

(The technical term is: 'Inhibits the Action Potential').

But a crucial thing that has been identified, is that 'too much Cannabidiol, will have a negative effect and increase rather than inhibit the signal.)

Which highlights the need to be able to control the dosage.

Your relative is overstating the benefits but that's not better or worse than overstating the negatives about pot use.

This.

Our gut feelings have zero impact on the real risks and benefits of any substance.  Prettying it up doesn't make it more useful.  Vilifying it doesn't make it more dangerous.

Personally, I'm much more concerned about alcohol.  Which, for the record, I do drink.  But some people are much more susceptible to alcoholism, and I've seen that destroy lives.  I still think prohibition was insane, and wouldn't want to see it happen again.

• Like 3

It's none of my business as long as the person does not consume in my home, doesn't come to my home while under the influence, doesnt bring the substance to my home even if not consuming in my home and doesn't try to talk to my children about use.

With those rules it doesn't matter if it's legal where he lives either.

So I'd explain my rules regarding his actions iny home and around my DC and tell him I'd not want to hear anymore about it. It's his choice as an adult. He can drink a six pack n his recliner at his home, but I don't want him drinking or drunk in my house and don't want him drunk around my kids or telling them drinking is OK either.

• Like 2

You are not ignorant.  I suspect (and believe) there are some medical conditions where the patients are helped by using pot.  Other than that, the abuse of drugs (legal and illegal) in the USA is such a huge problem, and so common, that it is "normal" now.  I don't know what you can say to refute the claims the person made to you, but a drug abuse counselor or your local police department can probably provide that information to you. If you live in a state where pot use is now legal (although not legal by federal law as I understand, so that's an issue with the DEA) then it will be easier for your family member to get it.  

If this person has, or ever plans to apply for a Security Clearance or positions that are sensitive, this is not a good path to follow.  

• Like 1

What train wreck do you expect?

We discourage marijuana use in our house severely because there are avenues that would be closed to our children if they choose to partake.   They know this.  They also know, if as a fully grown adult in a legal setting they do choose to try it, we won't say a word.

• Like 2

Well, all the things this person is saying are actually accurate.

But the one irrefutable issue is that possession is illegal, unlike a glass of wine or beer.   

So....until the law is changed, this is a no (unless one has a medical marijuana card). 

I haven't read all the replies yet.

I think there are reasonable arguments for legal recreational pot use, and also for allowing it medically.  But to me, it sounds like the person you were talking to is not getting good information, and his arguments seem fairly shallow to me.

My first thought is simply that having a drink is not the same as smoking a joint.  It is possible and also common for people to have a drink with no intent of changing their perception or conciousness.  That really isn't true with pot.  I would also say, along the same lines, that bber, wine, and even ard liquor are essentially food items - especially for the former two that is a natural process that is inevitable wen keeping those products long term.  So we make them tasty rather than gross.

With pot, it just isn't a food product, and the whole point in using it is to change conciousness. 

Traditionally, we don't consider food a drug, and while there are good reasons to keep in mind that alchohol can have drug effects, I think it creates a whole different emphasis in a healthy drinking culture than in a cannabis culture.

As far as health effects - no one should be using cannabis for health without supervision because it will not always work as hoped - it can in fact be harmful, especially for people with beavioral and mental health issues - it can give short-term relief but in the long term worseen problems.  And health reccomendations suggest that it not be used for people under 25 or with a family history of mental health problems.

• Like 1

I have seen multiple train wrecks because of marijuana and all of them started as teens with their parents blessings to smoke. I get extremely annoyed when people try and say it isn't addictive. It completely has the potential to be addictive. In your case OP, it probably isn't worth your breath because most people have made up their mind long before they bring up the discussion. However many of the arguments being presented on their behalf are on the old type, pre-70's traditionally grown marijuana which doesn't even exist anymore. Particularly if you are planning not to smoke it. Those preparations are a completely different animal and trying to use the same arguments about what they will are won't do is much akin to comparing a gun to a missle in my book. I also agree with Rosie and other posters that mention the schizophrenia link. People can make fun of that all they want as a "scare tactic". But it's not. It happens and when you see it happen it forever will piss you off afterwards to hear that pot is some harmless drug. I realize not everyone is a train wreck on it but I think the risks are overly minimized. Hell cigarettes help people self medicate with depression too, but I don't see their lobby out there pushing for it to be available everywhere or as an optimal health choice. But again, it's probably a losing argument. I just want to end with saying I'm sorry. It sucks to be on the observatory end of such a decision. I do hope it turns out ok.

I agree that the most immediate concern would be legality. If the person were in my immediate family (spouse, child living at home) and would be using family resources to consume it, I would probably seek counseling to better communicate on the issue. I know people who've sought it out despite it being illegal, but they had terminal cancer and another debilitating physical illness. I have been around someone vaping in her own home, and it didn't make me sick. At this point, I wouldn't let someone vape in my house or around my kids because it's not legal here. Smoking would be a hell no not in my house line of sand issue, even if it is a spouse.

• Like 4

If it is illegal in your area for recreational purposes, then I would remind them of that. If this person does not live in your home and does not provide child care in any way for your children, then you really can't do anything. If this person lives in your household, then you have a right to express concerns and set some ground rules. 

One question I would ask is about their employment. Are they drug tested ever? Can they lose their job, security clearance, or anything if they are tested? Even if it's legal where you are, what are the laws about driving while impaired and how long does that impairment last after partaking? Even when they're no longer impaired, how long does it stay in your system and show up on a test? 

• Like 2

1.  If it is legal in the state your relative lives in, and they have apparently done extensive research (whether all of that research netted truly accurate info or not), it is their choice and trying to change their minds will net you nothing right now.  

2.  Some of what they said is true.  They are overstating the medical benefits but if you don't hit them with heavy disapproval they may very well come to that conclusion on their own if they continue to do research.

3.  There ARE risks, just as with anything else.  Heck, even too much water can be dangerous, and this is a medicinal herb that affects the brain directly.  Obviously there are risks.  Right now they are not in a place where they are willing to listen regarding those risks.  Trying to convince them when you really don't know much about marijuana yourself will again net you nothing.  They don't respect your base of knowledge and shouldn't.  Your "knowledge" is not based on scientific facts.  (Not saying this to insult you but to help you see that they really don't have a reason to listen to you.)

4.  If this is really going to continue to stress you out, your best option is probably to put prejudices you have that are not based on facts up on a shelf somewhere and do your own research through credible sources.  Don't engage in any significant negative discourse with this person.  You may just push them to find more "positive" resources, whether those resources are accurate or not, just to try and convince you.  You could both end up totally entrenched in your corners without solid facts to back you up.  And trying to convince an adult that is certain of their course seems an exercise in futility.  You don't need that kind of stress and neither do they, frankly.  Do your own research.  Start a folder.  Any time you come across something that helps you understand better from a fact based, research based perspective from a credible source,  put the info in that folder.  Keep your mind open to both positive and negative points.  At some point in the future, you and your relative may be able to have a reasonable discussion based on the latest research, not based on societal taboos or pie in the sky promises.  That might help both of you to come at this from a more realistic perspective.

Sorry this is so upsetting when you don't need any more stress.  Hugs and best wishes.

I would wonder why the person wanted to begin taking marijuana now, at this point in life. If the person suffers from anxiety (chalk me up with the others who believes this is not a minor issue) or some other mental or physical reason or symptom that can be alleviated by the medicinal properties of marijuana, then I would listen, conduct research, and have an open dialogue. If this was someone who was simply looking for a novel way to escape the daily stresses of life, I would ask questions, lots of questions. 

Calling anxiety a minor issue is not really cool. Maybe "less serious" might be a better term. Realistically, I doubt that prescription benzodiazepines are better long term than prescription marijuana. Though I wouldn't want people smoking marijuana in my house. Smoking is gross. But there are plenty of ways one can consume marijuana that don't involve smoke.

I agree. It boggles my mind how people will argue so strongly against marijuana, but have zero issues with people using prescription meds for anxiety. Xanax is a VERY addictive drug, and other depression meds often used for anxiety have a list of side effects, and can really mess with your mind if you stop taking them suddenly.

FTR, I don't use marijuana. I have recreationally in the past, but it has been a LOOOONNGG time.I do know that it never affected me in the way alcohol did, and does now if I consume more than a little. I still can't believe in a world where alcohol is so accepted (and advertised at every turn), marijuana is still illegal (in most places). As to medical marijuana, the fact that it is illegal should be criminal. I have seen some of the ways it has helped people and anyone who truly needs it should have access - period.

• Like 6

If he works or wants to work in a Federal field, he should be reminded that it is still illegal federally, even if it is legal in your state... and could jeopardize his employability and or ability to gain security clearance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

To add to this- if you work for a non Federal company that is HQ'd outside of a marijuana-legal state you can still be fired. My dh's company has offices in other states where marijuana has been legalized. That doesn't mean HR has to be okay with it. You fail the test, you're fired. It doesn't matter where you live. It's an international company and their drug policy trumps what the state says is legal as far as employment is concerned. It might eventually go to court, but it's not at that point yet- so employment could still be an issue no matter who your employer is. They might want to check on that. As mentioned by pp it stays in your system up to 30 days, and can be detected longer through a hair test. Using synthetic urine to pass a drug test is also illegal in most places, so hopefully they don't consider that as an option to get around HR drug laws either. I am assuming this person is employed somewhere. 

Edited by texasmom33

If the relative is an adult and not my adult child living with me I am going to assume they've researched legalities, including impact on employment options. These issues are well documented. Said relative already displayed an ability to do such research when he presented his arguments on health effects.

I don't think I need to inform such an individual of anything except use on my property or affect my DC.

That said I do know people who have gotten clearances despite being open about past drug use. However, the small sample I know is not representative of the whole class of people trying for clearances. One would have to quit for a while and there would be no guarantee that the issue would not still trip up the process.

It's a powerful drug with serious side effects. It sounds like your relative is worshipping at the alter of Mary Jane and will only hear the benefits of the drug and not of the drawbacks. Do they not know any real potheads to look to as a cautionary tale? I don't doubt that cannolis can alleviate some pain and dull some symptoms, but in a healthy person there is no good reason to take on the risks. I mean, I think opium is great in a hospice situation, but dangerous and risky otherwise.

For whatever reason your relative wants you to sanction their drug experimentation. I don't know why, but they're working pretty hard for that approval.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 3